HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Christ's Character #41399
03/08/02 06:50 PM
03/08/02 06:50 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
In another area on the forum I had posted the quote below from the Spirit of Prophecy about "Christ's character" being perfectly reproduced in His people. On the way to work I was thinking about this quote, and just what it means to have Christ's Character perfectly reproduced in us. I was impressed to do a study on just that....Christ's Character...I welcome any thoughts in this area using the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy and of course our own thoughts on this as well. Since we have been told this is what Jesus is waiting for in His people before He comes to take us home with Him I feel that this should be a most important thing to study about.

quote:
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Gal. 5:22, 23. This fruit can never perish, but will produce after its kind a harvest unto eternal life. {COL 68.1}

"When the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69.1}

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41400
03/08/02 07:03 PM
03/08/02 07:03 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I wanted to start with a definition from the online Merriam-Webster Dicionary...I have bolded a few words that jumped out to me:

Main Entry: 1char·ac·ter
Pronunciation: 'kar-ik-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English caracter, from Middle French caractère, from Latin character mark, distinctive quality, from Greek charaktEr, from charassein to scratch, engrave; perhaps akin to Lithuanian zerti to scratch
Date: 14th century
1 a : a conventionalized graphic device placed on an object as an indication of ownership, origin, or relationship b : a graphic symbol (as a hieroglyph or alphabet letter) used in writing or printing c : a magical or astrological emblem d : ALPHABET e (1) : WRITING, PRINTING (2) : style of writing or printing (3) : CIPHER f : a symbol (as a letter or number) that represents information; also : a representation of such a character that may be accepted by a computer
2 a : one of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish an individual b (1) : a feature used to separate distinguishable things into categories; also : a group or kind so separated (2) : the detectable expression of the action of a gene or group of genes (3) : the aggregate of distinctive qualities characteristic of a breed, strain, or type c : the complex of mental and ethical traits marking and often individualizing a person, group, or nation d : main or essential nature especially as strongly marked and serving to distinguish
3 : POSITION, CAPACITY
4 : REFERENCE 4b
5 : REPUTATION
6 : moral excellence and firmness

7 a : a person marked by notable or conspicuous traits b : one of the persons of a drama or novel c : the personality or part which an actor recreates d : characterization especially in drama or fiction e : PERSON, INDIVIDUAL
8 : a short literary sketch of the qualities of a social type
synonym see DISPOSITION, QUALITY, TYPE
- char·ac·ter·less /-l&s/ adjective
- in character : in accord with a person's usual qualities or traits
- out of character : not in accord with a person's usual qualities or traits

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41401
03/08/02 07:22 PM
03/08/02 07:22 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Study the Character of Christ

The Lord of glory stepped down from his throne, laid aside his kingly crown, his royal robe, and clothed his divinity with humanity, that divinity might touch humanity, that humanity might lay hold of divinity. Look at Christ's life, and make it, your study. For your soul's sake study the character of Christ. For our sakes He became poor, that we through his poverty might be made rich. This condescension on the part of Christ, was in the plan to redeem and restore the moral image of God in man, and to leave an example of self-denial and self-sacrifice, that the poor might not be despised on account of their poverty, and that the rich might know that earthly wealth will never secure to any soul eternal riches and an immortal inheritance in the kingdom of God. {GH, January 1, 1899 par. 2}

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41402
03/10/02 06:09 PM
03/10/02 06:09 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Gal. 5:22, 23. This fruit can never perish, but will produce after its kind a harvest unto eternal life. {COL 68.1}

Since the fruits mentioned above are what our characters are to be made up of I thought we could study each fruit by itself.

Love

quote:
The Fruit of Pure Love

"Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them" Matthew 7:12

Blessed results would appear as the fruit of such a course. "With what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again" (verse 2). Here are strong motives which should constrain us to love one another with a pure heart, fervently. Christ is our example. He went about doing good. He lived to bless others. Love beautified and ennobled all His actions.

How many hurts would be avoided if we would just put the above principal into action. If before we speak an unkind word to anyone put ourself in their place...how would we feel if it was said to us...this makes me think of this scripture:

James 1:19
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

Over the years I have not always followed this advice....but I have found that it is sure excellent advice. I pray daily that I will not say any rash words to hurt someone...once they are said you can not take them back..and the recording Angel is recording everything we say...Are the words we saying to others the kind of words we want to be recorded?

quote:
Love, the Principle of Action

When the heavenly principle of eternal love fills the heart, it will flow out to others, . . . because love is the principle of action, and modifies the character, governs the impulses, controls the passions, subdues enmity, and elevates and ennobles the affections.--4T 223 (1876). {1MCP 205.1}

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41403
03/10/02 08:03 PM
03/10/02 08:03 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
I found this quote on that tells the "how to" for the making of the Character of Christ:-BC- PK

Prophets and Kings---PG- 486
"In acquiring the wisdom of the Babylonians, Daniel and his companions were far more successful than their fellow students; but their learning did not come by chance. They obtained their knowledge by the faithful use of their powers, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. They placed themselves in connection with the Source of all wisdom, making the knowledge of God the foundation of their education. In faith they prayed for wisdom, and they lived their prayers. They placed themselves where God could bless
them. They avoided that which would weaken their powers, and improved every opportunity to become intelligent in all lines of learning. They followed the rules of life that could not fail to give them strength of intellect. They sought
to acquire knowledge for one purpose--that they might honor God. They realized that in order to stand as representatives of true religion amid the false religions of heathenism they must have clearness of intellect and must perfect a Christian character. And God Himself was their teacher. Constantly praying, conscientiously studying, keeping in touch with the Unseen, they walked with God as did Enoch."

Love is the motive and all done in His strength.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41404
03/13/02 05:07 PM
03/13/02 05:07 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
LOVE

quote:
Love Favorably Interprets Another's Motives

Charity 'doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil' (1 Corinthians 13:5)

Christlike love places the most favorable construction on the motives and acts of others. It does not needlessly expose their faults; it does not listen eagerly to unfavorable reports, but seeks rather to bring to mind the good qualities of others.--AA 319 (1911). {1MCP 209.1}

Just think how many problems would be done away with if we would just have this a part of our character..instead of thinking the worse of someone. I especially was blessed by reading this as I have been convicted of this lately in my life. At work there have been a few employees that have done some things and I have been guilty of not only listening to this but sometimes adding my own thoughts about this. The above quote from the Spirit Of Prophecy tells us that we are not to needlessly expose the faults of others. (of course there will be those who will say that it was necessary to tell the faults of so and so) It also says to be Christlike means to put a favorable construction on the motives and acts of others. Since this is a part of the character of Christ I want this character to be in me also.

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41405
03/13/02 05:45 PM
03/13/02 05:45 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Psalms 70:4
Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified.

Psalms 97:10
Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Proverbs 17:9
He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.

quote:
Are we obeying the words of Christ, or are we following the impulses of our own depraved hearts? Do we have a clear conscience that we are doing our whole duty to our God in the line of raising joyful thanksgiving and praise for his constant care and love? We must cultivate the precious traits of character that abound in Jesus in all their divine fullness. We must daily learn in the school of Christ, and practice the graces of his spirit, till our lives shall shed the divine fragrance of his life. We shall be representatives of Christ if we are thoughtful of others, ministering to their necessities. {ST, September 22, 1890 par. 4}

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41406
03/14/02 06:47 PM
03/14/02 06:47 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). Here is the sum and substance of the law of God. The terms of salvation for every son and daughter of Adam are here outlined. . . . {AG 134.3}

That law of ten precepts of the greatest love that can be presented to man is the voice of God from heaven speaking to the soul in promise, "This do, and you will not come under the dominion and control of Satan." There is not a negative in that law, although it may appear thus. It is DO and Live. {AG 134.4}

The condition of eternal life is now just what it always has been--just what it was in Paradise before the fall of our first parents--perfect obedience to the law of God, perfect righteousness. If eternal life were granted on any condition short of this, then the happiness of the whole universe would be imperiled. The way would be open for sin, with all its train of woe and misery, to be immortalized. {AG 134.5}

Christ does not lessen the claims of the law. In unmistakable language He presents obedience to it as the condition of eternal life--the same condition that was required of Adam before his fall. . . . The requirement under the covenant of grace is just as broad as the requirement made in Eden--harmony with God's law, which is holy, just, and good. {AG 134.6}

The standard of character presented in the Old Testament is the same that is presented in the New Testament. This standard is not one to which we cannot attain. In every command or injunction that God gives there is a promise, the most positive, underlying the command. God has made provision that we may become like unto Him, and He will accomplish this for all who do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace. {AG 134.7}

Here we have found that LOVE is a part of Christ's Character we must have in order to have Christ's Character. The next attribute is JOY.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41407
03/14/02 06:53 PM
03/14/02 06:53 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA

Just what does it mean to have JOY as an attribute of Christ's Character?

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41408
03/14/02 07:01 PM
03/14/02 07:01 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
JOY

quote:
Most Happy People on Earth

These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. John 15:11. {OHC 148.1}

We, as Christians, are not required to go about with long faces, sighing as though we had no Saviour and no hope. This will not glorify God. He desires us to be cheerful. He desires us to be filled with praises to His name. He desires us to carry light in our countenances, and joy in our hearts. We have a hope that is far above any pleasures that the world can give, and this fact should be made manifest. {OHC 148.2}

Why should not our joy be full--full, lacking nothing? We have an assurance that Jesus is our Saviour, and that we may draw freely from Him. We may partake freely of the rich provision that He has made for us in His Word. We may take Him at His word, believe on Him, and know that He will give us grace and power to do just as He bids us. . . . We may constantly seek the joy of His presence. We need not be all the time upon our knees in prayer, but we may be constantly asking for His grace, even when we are walking on the streets, or when we are engaged in our ordinary daily duties. We may constantly keep the mind ascending to Christ, and He will freely impart to us of His grace. . . . {OHC 148.3}

The joy of Christ is a pure, unalloyed cheerfulness. It is not a cheap gaiety, that leads to vanity of words or lightness of conduct. No, we are to have His joy, and His greatest joy was to see men obeying the truth. . . . Plead with God, saying, "I make an entire surrender. I give myself away to Thee." Then be joyful. The Word is in you, purifying and cleansing your character. God does not want His children to go about with anxiety and sorrow expressed in their faces. He wants the lovely expression of His countenance to be revealed in every one of us who are partakers of the divine nature; for we have power to escape the corruptions of the world. . . . {OHC 148.4}

We are not, because Christ died, left a company of orphans. . . . It is possible for us to obtain victory after victory, and be the most happy people on the face of the earth. {OHC 148.5}

Oh what precious promises in these words. Amen!!! After reading this part...

No, we are to have His joy, and His greatest joy was to see men obeying the truth.

...it started me thinking about if Christ's greatest joy is to see us obeying His truth how must it make Him feel when we are not obeying it? Joy is more than just the feeling of happiness we get from things of this world.

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!