HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46897
10/10/03 07:25 PM
10/10/03 07:25 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Lobo:
Glad that you enjoyed the post. The Nazarite vow is one of those sections of Scripture that we haven't made much head way on but I have a study to share with you if you are interested in it. I thought I had posted it on this board but it may have been someplace else. Daryl do you know if it is here?

Mike:
I think the issue with the post exhilic Jews is that they had made a covenant with the heathen. They had committed divorce when they did that. I believe that Jesus came in through His prophet and cut the heathen off. If the Jews had stayed united they to should have been cut off. The difficult part is how to apply it to now. Just like in the destruction of Jericho Jesus asked His people to do things outside of the norm. For example in the marching around the city Jesus had them do things on Sabbath that we do not normally do. He had them march 7 times around on Sabbath and then literally kill every man, woman, and child on Sabbath. This is not the norm but when the Most Holy God asks you to do this kind of work on Sabbath it is right to do. But how to apply that to our normal Sabbath is a stretch that we would need the next prophet to help us with.

I will restudy the I cor counsel on Paul and give you my thought on it.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46898
10/10/03 10:16 PM
10/10/03 10:16 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
FYI

Numbers 6
2 "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, 'When a man or woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to dedicate himself to the LORD, 5 'All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy until the days are fulfilled for which he separated himself to the LORD; he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long. 9 'But if a man dies very suddenly beside him and he defiles his dedicated head of hair, then he shall shave his head on the day when he becomes clean; he shall shave it on the seventh day. 18 The Nazirite shall then shave his dedicated head of hair at the doorway of the tent of meeting, and take the dedicated hair of his head and put it on the fire which is under the sacrifice of peace offerings.

Paul and other are examples; Acts 18:18; 21:24

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46899
10/11/03 12:11 AM
10/11/03 12:11 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:

Greg asked:
Daryl do you know if it is here?

It would probably take me almost forever ot find it, if you did, therefore, you may wish to create a new topic on it.

If it does exist, and I do find it later, I will link the two topics to each other. [Smile]

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46900
10/11/03 10:29 PM
10/11/03 10:29 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
I started a new thread on the Nazarite Vow for Today. I would appreciate your thoughts. I had to revise it because it would not take the information in a table form. So used OT - Old Testament and NT - New Testament to show the comparisons.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46901
10/13/03 10:20 PM
10/13/03 10:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Greg, how do you know the Jews marched 7 times around Jericho on the Sabbath? was the 7th day the sabbath or some other day? when did they start? Your point is well taken though - sometimes God works out of the ordinary.

I look forward to your thoughts on 1 Cor.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46902
10/14/03 05:55 PM
10/14/03 05:55 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am still trying to understand this abandonmant theology of 1 Cor. 7.

How would it work in the practical sense?

Does it mean that, if my wife, a believer, were to leave or abandon me, also a believer, that I would be free to divorce her and marry somebody else?

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46903
10/14/03 10:27 PM
10/14/03 10:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes. The underlying principle of abandonment is unfaithfulness. If someone abandons their spouse they are unfaithful, they have violated the vows of marriage. Abandonment is merely a symptom, the root cause is unfaithfulness.

There are many ways people can be unfaithful, not all of them involve physical adultery. When extensive counseling and guidance yield unfavorable results the abandoned spouse is free to divorce and remarry.

Remember, abandonment and neglectful indifference are not the same thing. Couples can neglect one another and still live together. But abandonment means they are no longer cohabitating. In some cases the offending spouse disappears altogether never to be seen or heard from again. Under such circumstances proving adultery is impossible.

It is unlike our loving heavenly Father to require an abandoned person to remain unloved, unwanted and unmarried. God's desire is for men and women to be happily married to the right person. Few things demonstrate heavenly bliss better than happily married couples and families.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46904
10/15/03 05:22 PM
10/15/03 05:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Is sexual perversion grounds for divorce? Well, certainly adultery is, but as for other forms of perversion I suppose each case must be considered individually. Even adultery can be forgiven and marital bliss restored without pursuing divorce. All things are possible with God. So long as the offending spouse is genuinely repentant and willing to remain married the offended partner should be agreeable. Look how many times God took the Jews back (as demonstrated in the case of Hosea and Gomer).

But if the offended party is looking for excuses to get divorced I believe they are being just as unfaithful. Using adultery as an excuse to get divorced is not the intent of the law. As I see it, legitimate grounds for divorce boils down to abandonment. If a spouse abandons their partner, with intentions of never getting back together, the root cause of their unfaithfulness doesn't really matter - it can be any reason not just physical adultery. In such cases the abandoned spouse is free to divorce and remarry.

In cases where literal, physical adultery is impossible to prove abandonment is just cause for divorce and remarriage. There are many reasons why adultery would be impossible to prove - the offending party totally disappears and is never seen again or they makes vows of celibacy or they are incapable of having sexual relations, etc. But whether physical or spiritual adultery it doesn't matter because any form of unfaithfulness that results in permanent abandonment is just cause for divorce and remarriage. Of course a reasonable amount of time should be allowed to determine whether or not the abandonment is permanent or just temporary.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46905
10/15/03 05:31 PM
10/15/03 05:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
To suggest that Jesus meant physical fornication is the only just cause for divorce and remarriage, and that all other causes results in adultery, ignores the fact that God Himself required the post-exilic Jews to divorce their wives for causes other than fornication or adultery (see Ezra 10) and that He also made allowances for divorce and remarriage in cases of abandonment (see 1 Cor 7). Obviously, Jesus' counsel on divorce and remarriage is not limited to literal fornication (pre-marital sexual intercourse) or adultery (post-marital sexual intercourse).

Matthew
5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

1 Corinthians
7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such [cases]: but God hath called us to peace.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46906
10/15/03 10:04 PM
10/15/03 10:04 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Mike, I agree with you, but still, how do you reconcile Paul saying that that statement came from him as apposed to it coming from Jesus?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!