HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46907
10/16/03 01:56 AM
10/16/03 01:56 AM
Vincent E MacIsaac  Offline
Eastern Canada, currently resi...
quote:

Do you believe Jesus amended the law of God, or do you believe He upheld the law
and that it was the Jews who made the law of God of none effect by amending it?

Not one Jot, not on Tittle (John 5)

quote:
Do you believe the words fornication and adultery always and only mean physical
sexual intercourse, or do you believe they also include spiritual forms of
unfaithfulness?

Yes, it can be more then Sexual. All sin has Spiritual impacts.

quote:
Do you agree that God divorced Israel on account of her spiritual unfaithfulness to
the marriage vows (covenant)? And do you agree that it involved one believer (God)
divorcing another believer (Israel) and that God was free to remarry, and that He married
the Church?

NO WAY! The Bible teaches no such teaching! God unlike us sometimes is ABLE TO
FORGIVE. We are ONE human race. The Church is all followers of God in all ages; OT
and NT see REV 12

quote:
Do you agree that God divorced Israel on account of her spiritual unfaithfulness to
the marriage vows (covenant)? And do you agree that it involved one believer (God)
divorcing another believer (Israel) and that God was free to remarry, and that He married
the Church?

Truthfully i have never studied it in detail. But anytime God Gives you an order it is NOT
sin to do as instructed, infact it be sin to refuse it.

quote:
Do you believe an abandoned or abused wife must remain unmarried and childless
if her husband does not or cannot commit physical adultery? Or do you believe that in
such cases women must suck it up and bear their losses faithfully?

Why Wife? Why not Wife or Husband?

Here is the problem as i see it; the bible is silent on such issues. So there is no real way of
knowing. I think that is why we have Elders, Pastors and Conferences, to seriously pray
of individual cases like this, much like in the old days of Judges. I don't think there is one
rule that will fit all. Alot of time it has to do with the motive and factors involved. I think
God did not say anything because if He did, He knew we being human would abuse the
rule.

Still this is NO reason to jump to conclusions.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46908
10/22/03 09:22 PM
10/22/03 09:22 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
It seems that if we take Paul to be inspired, then we have to accept his direction in 1 Cor 7:15 as also being from God. If this is the case, then I think Paul was indicating that Jesus command regarding divorce did not address the unequally yoked issue. As such, Paul stating that a believer is not “bound” it an unbelieving spouse leaves is not in conflict with Jesus commands about divorce.

So after some study and a lot of prayer I believe that it is scriptural to believe that if a unbelieving spouse leaves the believing spouse is free to remarry.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46909
11/04/03 01:27 PM
11/04/03 01:27 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
And thus you have fallen from grace to being under the law. This is precisely how it is done.

Thus people would rather have RULES. Some, what you can do, some, what you can't. But it all amounts to 'how to justify one's own actions', and what man thinks/concludes is acceptable with God. Having learned from the Lord is no replacement for the Living Lord.

Shalom

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46910
11/04/03 02:34 PM
11/04/03 02:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Lobo, thank you. I agree wholeheartedly with your studied conclusions on abandonment, divorce and remarriage.

Vincent, I also agree with your observation that God purposely did not instruct us on every minute detail regarding divorce and remarriage.

I believe the main purpose for the laws governing divorce and remarriage is to prevent wanton, careless, caloused divorces. They were never meant to prevent legitimate cases where divorce and remarriage is right and needful.

Divorce is necessary in cases where the purpose of marriage is not being fulfilled. God designed marriage to be a beautiful thing, an awesome experience, a way for Him to showcase His love for created beings.

But when a hard hearted spouse refuses to live at peace the purpose of marriage is defiled. Because of the sinfulness of man not everyone can or desires to live at peace with their spouse. And God has made a way of escape - divorce and remarriage.

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46911
11/05/03 03:16 AM
11/05/03 03:16 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I agree Mike that it is because of the hardness of the heart, that any rules come in.

The question is, how many Marriages does one have to go through, because of the hardness of the heart?

Man has truly missed his greatest blessing in Marriage. What is that?

Here is the problem:

Men try to join things together, while it lasts, then I guess it was a mistake, try again etc.

Genesis 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

God never intended it that way!

Here is God's solution

What therefore God hath joined together let not man put asunder.

What is a heart that is not hard? It is one that seeketh not it's own, that chooses not it's own.

It is God that needs to make the twain one. No one else can. But that is only possible when the heart delights to do his will. If one desires a spouse, then let such ask of God. God delights to give good gifts. Regardless of circumstances, let such seek audience with their heavenly Father and ask of him, and receive such as God chooses. Then there shall never be any need for these rules because of the hardness of the heart.

The Lord will make such a one fit to be a husband or wife and then will give a wife or husband, a blessing as only he can do. The twain shall be one.

It is his delight to be favored with such a request.

Shall we choose for our selves, and then make rules. If we ask of God and receive from him, that is grace, we need no rules.

Shalom

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46912
11/05/03 06:34 PM
11/05/03 06:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, beautifully put. Amen!

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46913
11/05/03 07:00 PM
11/05/03 07:00 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
John,

unfortunately we are not perfect and people do make mistakes. Many times we pay for our lack of restraint of our youth. The “rules” are there because we are born sinners. We are not born with soft hearts that naturally seek God. That is why Jesus called it being "born agai"! Get it?

So while your utopian view is technically correct, it doesn’t seem to allow for the real world we live in. Certainly the goal, once we are able to realize it, is to let God lead us in the choice of a spouse, but many do not understand this or cannot understand this in their current spiritual state.

I look back now, and sure, if I had to do it over again I would have done things differently. However, I CAN’T GO BACK!

So all I can do is learn from the past and go forward and not make the same mistakes. God will indeed lead me in this effort, while in the past that was not the case.

So while I wholeheartedly wish I could have understood this the first time, that is not my reality today and nothing I can do to change that.

So while the rules may not be there for you, and I certainly hope that is the case for all believers, they are there for me (a sinner) and I thank God for them!

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46914
11/06/03 12:35 AM
11/06/03 12:35 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Lobo,

It is not what was done in the past that is the issue. True without the Lord we suffer much. But the issue is TODAY.
TODAY, we do not need rules to tell us what to do about the mess we got into. But today we may go to our heavenly Father with all our mess; most of all our messy self, and lay it at his feet. Let him cleanse us heart soul and mind, and receive from him such, as we have not dreamed of.

How sad it is to watch people muddle around trying to fix things. When we make mistakes, that is least of times we need rules. What we need at that time, more than ever (if that is possible) is to come to our Lord. The master maker is waiting, but it takes surrendering all our desires to him, so that he can give us the desires of our heart.

If you would like I can share what the Lord has done for my wife and I in this regard.

Shalom

[ November 05, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: John Boskovic ]

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46915
11/06/03 03:41 PM
11/06/03 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It is a beautiful thing when couples are able to salvage a troubled marriage by relying on Jesus. I love all those stories and testimonies about couples who were heading toward divorce but by the grace of God and through prayer and patience they pulled off a miracle. Thank you Jesus! Sad to say though these stories are rare and few between. But thank God when they are told. I love it.

But on the other hand I am equally impressed with the stories where an abused or abandoned spouse recovers from their loss, works through the pain and trusts the Lord to supply all their wants and needs. In time the perfect person comes along and the magic of marriage happens again and wedding bells ring unto the honor and glory of God. And the newly weds live happily ever after. That's my story. Thank you Jesus!

Re: Five Questions on the Divorce & Remarriage Issue #46916
11/07/03 04:35 AM
11/07/03 04:35 AM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
John, I appreciate your point, it’s just that no one can change another heart. Only God can do that.

So if one is unequally yoked all the believer can do is hold on to God and that relationship. But at these times, when you are searching for answers, the direction that God did leave in scripture about these issues is very comforting and not seen as “rules”.

Based on your post I suspect that you have never gone through this type of thing, and I don’t wish that on anyone.

In any case, I also appreciate Mike’s post as I can tell he understands my pain as he has been there himself.

[ November 06, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Lobo ]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!