HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49763
12/13/05 12:48 PM
12/13/05 12:48 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Of course most stories are in some ways a contest between good and evil, including most stories of war and police work. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is very clear in the Lion being portrayed as Christ like and the White Witch as Satan. Aslan, the Lion, gives his life instead of the repentant person who betrayed him, and the witch is the one who does the killing. Then the lion comes back from the dead and leads his people to victory over the evil forces. There are more allegories than that but that's a overview.

In one of the other books there is a nasty little kid who because of greed becomes a dragon. He is changed back into a boy after letting the lion peal off the dragon skin, which the boy could not do on his own. This is clearly a reference to sin and what it takes to give our sins to God and let Him free us from them.

The other books you ask about, while I've not read them, I understand there is no Christ like figure nor any thing else in them that would point a person to the Christian experience.

While I think the Chronicles are much better than most fictional books that people read I too have some problems with them. They only go so far in their portrayal of the Christian life, and in some of the books there is very little allegory and they are mostly a tale for entertainment. Again better for kids (or adults) to read than some but not real great if you are looking for a Christian message.

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49764
12/13/05 01:59 PM
12/13/05 01:59 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
I would suggest that the difference between Lewis Tolkien and Rowling basically goes like this: The Chronicles of Narnia are extremely christian in their themes, apart from pilgrims progress I have never read such a work of fiction, where in the Lord of the Rings the chrstan themes are very much more subtle. However Harry Potter, which I have never read, understand claims to show good triumphing over evil, but uses the same means to triumph over evil as those who are suppposedly evil! I have also heard Harry Potter accused of beng a pure witches manual.

My personal view on the issue of whether or not we should read any of these books comes down whether or not they uplift the mind or not.

I can say catagorically that both Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia (although I have only read the first four books) and Tolkiens Lord of the Rings have enriched and uplifted my mind bringing to my mind various bible passages at various places of the books.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49765
12/13/05 02:03 PM
12/13/05 02:03 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
Most young readers don't care about the symbolism, or even notice it. They're just wondering what magic awaits on the next page. Moreover, Lewis scholars say, the author felt that the stories should simply be enjoyed--preferably by a child hiding under the covers with a flashlight.
If you are having this doubt, I would recommend that you read the book "C. S. Lewis: Letters to Children." You will be amazed at how children understood the stories and the Christian aspect of them.

quote:
In which ways is Lewis different from J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings) and J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)? I have read none of these but it seems all of them portray some kind of struggle between good and evil.
C. S. Lewis wrote what he felt, and he felt a Christian life. J. K. Rowling makes no apologies for her dislike of Christianity. J. R. R. Tolkine does display some Christian principals in his Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Gandalph dies but comes back even stronger, bad times at the end until the king returns), but it is not the main element as the Chronicles of Narnia.

I think that people become slaves to the dramatization and movie forms too often. Do not judge the quality of a book by the movie. I find that a movie always places more violence, action, etc. than called for in the book.

It is hard to be a critic of C. S. Lewis without reading any of his books. If an adult is to judge his work, I would recommend an adult to read an adult book. Try reading Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain, A Grief Observed, The Screwtape Letters (used in yesterday's Sabbath School lesson), Miracles, or even C. S. Lewis: Letters to Children. You will be amazed at how much children did understand about Christianity (as well as being able to see it in the stories) back in the 40's and 50's. I submit that if children do not understand the Christian elements, nor can see them, in the Chronicles of Narnia today, it is because our children are not surrounded in the stories of the Bible any more.

If anyone has read any of the above books, I would be interested in having a conversation about the content of them. They should aid to a good discussion.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49766
12/13/05 03:17 PM
12/13/05 03:17 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Have read Mere Christianity and the Screwtape letters. IMO MC is a book Id recomend to anyone interested in a basic introduction.

/Thomas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49767
12/13/05 03:45 PM
12/13/05 03:45 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I agree Thomas. Did you also find it interesting that Lewis did not set out to lead someone to any denomination in Mere Christianity, but just to Christianity? Just the introduction of that book has some very good points in it.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49768
12/13/05 05:09 PM
12/13/05 05:09 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
I don't get it. Nor do I see the poing of me taking my family whom I have a responcibility to protect from the snares of the devil, to see this movie. Why must I search and dig and struggle to find God in a movie or presentation? If it is that difficult to grasp then prehaps its not there to begin with!?!

If it is truly about God then there should be no doubt or mystery about it. Isn't that the problem with much of the world today who wrap themselves in the appearance of christianity, but still instead of pointing to Christ, the object of worship is self, or Mary, or someother idol.

I would not take my family to see it, nor would I recommend anyone else go and see it. What for, I ask?! For what purpose I ask?! What have I to gain? What does the believer, who is exposed to the lies of Satan in music, television, print, the speech of others, etc, have to gain from going to see this??? Will it draw them nearer to God? Will it preparing them for the shaking that lies ahead? Will is build their faith?

We don't need to know how brilliant Senior Lewis is, nor do we need to see how brilliant the movie directors are. What we need to be doing is guarding the gates of our mind, which begins with what we behold. We need to be guarding ourselves and our families from the deceptions that exist in these last days and preparing for the coming of our Lord.

No one asks or wants to be decieved. But deception is what will happen to us when try to mix the holy with the un-holy. Christ has nothing to do with magic or magical characters. Nothing at all! Its call spiritualism and it will lead multitudes to their doom. Lord of the Rings, Narlia, it does not matter. If it is not of God and centered around Christ, it is not of God.

Lets keep it out of our homes, schools, churches lives, minds and hearts.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49769
12/13/05 05:11 PM
12/13/05 05:11 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
quote:
Dora I for one do agree with you and yes when you have a conviction on something like this you need to speak up. Our church is being deceived by all this garbage. And yes I call it garbage. It is nothing like Pilgrims Progress at all. Oh sure you will find your few that say there are great christian morals to be found in them. However just like that paper said..the young people and I may say older people too are reading them more for the "magic" in them. It matters not the excuses they make up for reading them and going to see them at the theater. We are being lulled to sleep.

Dora for standing up for God's true principles. Amen

AMEN ladies!!!

Fully agreed.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49770
12/13/05 05:15 PM
12/13/05 05:15 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Here is something a friend of mine wrote on the same topic...

quote:
The Chronicals of Narnia are confusing at best and corrupt at worst. You cannot tell the story of Christ by using amalgamated man/animals, a lion and a witch. Fantasy of any kind creates a hunger for the sensational that will sour one's taste for the pure provender of the Bible. I know people who read Narnia that cannot look at the BIble without falling asleep. Some might say that this proves a value to Narnia,as it can reach those who find the Bible boring, but actually it is fiction and stories that cause the problem.
--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49771
12/13/05 05:18 PM
12/13/05 05:18 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
What would happen if these same millions of children were reading the Bible in place of reading fiction? What would happen in this world?

"The readers of fiction are indulging an evil that destroys spirituality, eclipsing the beauty of the sacred page." AH 412.

"Both old and young neglect the Bible. They do not make it their study, the rule of their life. Especially are the young guilty of this neglect. Most of them find time to read other books, but the book that points out the way to eternal life is not daily studied. Idle stories are attentively read, while the Bible is neglected. This book is our guide to a higher, holier life. The youth would pronounce it the most interesting book they ever read had not their imagination been perverted by the reading of fictitious stories." CSW 24.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49772
12/13/05 05:28 PM
12/13/05 05:28 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I guess we had better get Pilgrims Progress out of our homes too! Fiction is bad.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!