HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49803
12/16/05 06:17 PM
12/16/05 06:17 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Cheri, Redfrog,

My experiences were similar to yours. However, instead of fairy tales, I grew up on Japanese Animation. The cartoons filled with lots of violense, magic, characters getting killed and then moving to another plane of concious existance, etc, etc. And then as a young adult it moved to another level, the cartoons become filled with more and more magic. Calling up spirits and monsters. Then the X-Files, and horror movies, etc.

After joining the SDA church, it was the prompting of the Holy Spirit that led me away from watching those things. And there were times that I sneaked a peak at one of those shows, but it was not without the conviction that what I was doing was wrong.

Many of the images and stories are still in my mind. But when I reflected on the wasted time that I could have been spending in the Word, I know that I cant go back nor lead my family there.

What is the danger some might ask. The danger lies in the un-Biblical teaching. They are sometimes suttle, but they are certainly there. The danger also lies in the way that they consume the thoughts and mind.

I have no desire to get caught up in that stuff again, and even more I want to protect my family from those snares.

Our adversery is cunning and crafty. Anything that can be used to draw us away from God, that he will use. To some he will say there is no god, but he knows that many know better, so he now tries to mix truth and lie and pass it off as acceptable truth. It matters little how many wonderful allegories the stories or movies contain. They are either acceptable to God or they are not. I submit that magic, mystical creatures and fantasy are still unacceptable to our Lord as when He first said so.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49804
12/16/05 06:29 PM
12/16/05 06:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
After having heard both sides, Im inclined to think that the advice in Romans 14 applies to this aswell.
quote:
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' "[a] 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food[b] is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

/Thomas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49805
12/17/05 07:43 AM
12/17/05 07:43 AM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Mrs. White counsels us not to read fiction such as "Uncle Tom's Cabin" but to read true stories such as "The Pilgram's Progress" (granted she qualified that "Uncle Tom's Cabin" did it's job, but at the time she was writing after the Civil war it was causing ill feelings towards the South at a time when healing was needed.)

There have been many studies in Mrs. White's comments about fiction. Surprisingly she was repeating the warnings of novelests in her day, such as Nathanial Horthorn and if I recall correctly, Herman Melvel, about a certan type of fiction that was popular in her day.

Let's not forget that Mrs. White loved the story of William Tell (who may or may not have been a fictional or semi-fictional character) and the story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (When Mrs. White bought Elmshaven, the fireplace had tiles from the story of King Arthur, she was not familar with them so she bought the book, read it, fell in love with it and would love to have children over and tell them the stories of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.)

Let us be careful not to use Mrs. White in a way that ends up condemming Mrs. White, as we are too often prone to do.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49806
12/17/05 10:55 AM
12/17/05 10:55 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings,

One of my favorite verses are 1 Timothy 4:12 "...but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

When we are moved by the Holy Spirit we are blessed to love one another, we are constrained by love to obedience. In this love there is not found judgment but understanding.

With regards to what I read, well I home school my children, and try to make time to read and study always. We are particular in what we read. If there are true stories which point us to Christ, then we use them. With all things, a parent must bring her children beneath her loving arms and guide them into safety.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49807
12/17/05 11:21 AM
12/17/05 11:21 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
I would agree Redfog. If someone does not know the Bible, it is pointless for them to read Narnia. Only someone that knows the Bible can appreciate the Christian depth in the story.
I am so surprised by such a remark from you. Totally out of character for you. But you never know from where such remarks will come from do you? Or do you? Well we do have one person who does know don't we. And that is our Father is heaven. He knows all.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49808
12/17/05 07:24 PM
12/17/05 07:24 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
You are surprised that I say people need to read the Bible?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49809
12/17/05 07:46 PM
12/17/05 07:46 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Now im curious Avalee, what would be the characteristic thing for Dave to say on this subject?

/Thomas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49810
12/17/05 09:02 PM
12/17/05 09:02 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Brother Dave Hoover,

To whom do you address your question?

Thank you,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49811
12/17/05 11:20 PM
12/17/05 11:20 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Avalee mostly, but anyone can answer. The main question is: what about my statments are out of caricter for me?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49812
12/17/05 11:31 PM
12/17/05 11:31 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Agreeing with me? [Big Grin] [Animated Laughter]

/Thomas

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!