HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53786
03/30/04 12:45 PM
03/30/04 12:45 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Yes...the weta...that's it...My wife has a weta T-shirt that makes the Malay girls here scream and giggle...'Crazy white folks...wearing bugs!'

We love NZ! All our closest Kiwi Adventist friends live on North Island. Oddly South Island is almost identical in topography and weather to the Pacific North West, where we lived before the mission. So while there we skipped the South, sadly. That ferry is much too expensive!

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53787
10/02/04 03:37 AM
10/02/04 03:37 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Christchurch, New Zealand
You are right Ikan, about the expensive ferry crossing. It is much cheaper to fly here!
I would dearly love to do the North Island by train, and relive old childhood memories, but the cost is more than double.

Having just flown over the North Island on a beautiful clear day, I noticed how much different it was to the south. Here we have a whole range of alps right down the centre of the island. I didn't realize before just how wide the alps are, so easy to find your way across through a pass, but up in the plane they go halfway across the island - and of course, this time of year covered in snow, so a spectacular sight!
Our Mt Cook is part of this scene.
However, flying over the North Island, with flat dense bush, there suddenly rises out of the forest Mount Egmont, best described as an upside down ice-cream cone. Again, covered in snow right down to the bushline, I couldn't take my eyes of off of it till it was gone from view.Spectacular is an understatement.

The area I stayed in in Auckland - our largest NZ city, was over the harbour bridge on the North Shore. Very pretty place,and lots of pockets of bush everywhere. Every stand of bush had walking tracks through them. Some only 10 min, others would be an hour each way.So many choices and new discoveries,connecting one with another, it was a delightful time.
When I go into the bush I have with me my pocket NT, an old scottish (thin) hymnbook, and a small ringbound notebook to record what I see, feel, and experience in my meditations.
Here is one I will share from the Sunset Road Reserve.
I am sitting amongst a nest of cut up logs, and area cleared of massive trees, alongside a stand of pungas. This bushwalk on Sunset Road is new to me, and so I am thinking of all the "new" things God has offered me in His word.
New name, New life, New heart, Renewed mind. As I observe the brokenness of once tall vibrant majestic trees, I notice tender young fern fronds, new life growing out of the maze of ugliness. The bush has been opened up to the sunlight. Lord, open up my heart today to the Son of Life. Surrounded by sin ( fallen dead logs) I too can walk in newness of life.
Psalm 144:9 I will sing a new song to you, O God....I will sing praises to you.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53788
10/02/04 03:51 AM
10/02/04 03:51 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Having suffered from foot problems all year, mostly due to incompatent professionals, I was ffinally banned from the hills for 10 days till my knee recovered.
So I headed into the local pine forest, another love of mine. It's only a 10 min drive from my home, and the dogs love it there too.

My foot could still manage a 2 hour hike, so I set off for a part of the forest yet to be explored on foot. Been all through it on my mountain bike a couple of years ago, I enjoyed exploring new trails.
Once you get in the forest, you can't see the Alps or the Port Hills that I regularly hike on - it's blue sky and tree tops all the way.
So I was particularly away of the direction I was heading, and planned a full circle back to my car.
the 2 hours were about up, and my foot was letting me know I needed to get back, when I heard the sound of traffic - a sound I should not be hearing as the road I had parked on was a quiet street.
On investigating, I doscovered to my horror that I was the opposite end from where I expected to be. That meant another hour back to the car!
I turned into the forest stand, and coming out the other side, headed down a track, all the while wondering if I was going in the right direction!
I just said, Lord, send me an Angel to confirm I am on the right track! and 5 min later an elderly man appeared with his 4 dogs. In the middle of nowhere, on a sandy trail, I asked him if I was headed for Parklands. No, he replied, you are heading for the beach! Again the wrong way. I had just a couple of moments before passed a track to my right, but thought that would take me in the wrong direction, when in fact it was that trail that took me right back to my car.
I have since explored the area some more, and will continue to until I know that neck of the woods backwards!
For once, the dogs did not hang back getting into the car to go home!

God with us, every step of the way!

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53789
10/09/04 05:31 AM
10/09/04 05:31 AM
Zita  Offline OP
I mentioned Milford Sound on the Bird Watches site,
and if you would like to see what the trail is like then click on here.
Go into Great Hikes, and then into brief view.
There is a slide show on the right of the page.

http://www.hikingnewzealand.com/

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53790
01/15/05 06:50 AM
01/15/05 06:50 AM
Zita  Offline OP
I noticed an item on the news this last week, that they are still fighting to keep out so called progress from encroaching into the Waitakeri Ranges. It would be a tragedy if any part of that natural bush was felled for views by the rich few of our land. the lovely bush tracks are there for all to enjoy, and may it long happen as our forefathers envisaged.

Today is Sabbath, and I don't usually don hiking boots, on a Sabbath morning, but for good reason, today was an exception.
It was the 1st Sabath of Camp meeting, and due to the high noise level, I have been unable to attend Camp for several years, so I seek a quiet place to sit and meditate, write in my Spiritual journal, and praise God in nature.
So I headed for my favourite Sabbath place called Hidden Valley.Since a severe storem several years ago felled the pinetrees, it is not easy access, so I am not disturbed by anyone else coming along. However, as I pulled in to park, I noticed that the cars, people, mountain bikes were overflowing into the street, and I realized there must be a competition on. A loud speaker blared at the enterance, and I knew the place would be alive with noise and excitement, not exactly what I had in mind. I moved off to the next valley, where one can climb up through native bush and getting 'off track' through a wire fence and off into a dip in the hillside where lovely willow trees abound.
You can't even hear traffic noise. You are so private, no one would know you were there. Perfect place for worshipping God in His creation, surrounded by native birds. the bell bird tolled it's peel of welcome to worship, fantails flitted around, cicaders buzzed in the background, and birds called overhead.
Peace, absolute peace to hear God speak through His word and through the Holy Spirit. I record these special times in a special journal, forever etched on my mind, these encounters with God are my strength in this troubled world.
God, with us.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53791
01/15/05 02:51 PM
01/15/05 02:51 PM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
A beautiful post, Zita. On Travel Channel here in America, there is a long feature on the wilderness areas of new Zealand. Very educational and interesting, and beautiful. Much more extensive than I realized. My property borders the 7000 acre Wekiva State park in Florida, USA. My back pasture fence is same one as theirs. I go over the fence for nature walks and meditation. We also have black bear, deer, bobcat, raccoon, and fox that come on my land frequently. I've had some training in birding from my ex-pastor and family. Florida wilderness is different than the typical USA and I have a special bond to it. It is church for me. I enjoyed reading your description very much, Zita.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53792
01/15/05 03:17 PM
01/15/05 03:17 PM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
 - Zita and Ikan, here is some of my carving in cedar of Pacific Coast Indian style. This is a Kwakiutle Huk Huk, or fantasy Sea Raven.I love this style of sculpture but have concerns about the religious connotations. As SDA, i wonder if this is okay, as some of these sculpture styles were idols to the tribes of Vancouver, British Columbia regions. do you think the spiritual meanings are an issue? It is just the admiration of creative, abstract/surreal designs that interest me personally. I don't know or study the religious/ancestral meanings that the indians see.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53793
01/22/05 05:29 AM
01/22/05 05:29 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Lovely carvin and great talent to be able to do that quality of work.

I guess it is the same here with the Maori carvings. They are of their gods and have non christian meanings, and so as a christian I stay away from, or won't stand in front of.

When a Maori becomes an Adventist, they give up a lot of their traditions because of this involvement with other gods.
I guess you can only go with your own personal conviction.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53794
02/05/05 02:44 AM
02/05/05 02:44 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Our annual church camp is held in January, and in recent years I have been unable to attend due to the excessive noise in the big tent, not compatable with me damaged ears.

I decided this year that I would go bush on both Sabbaths.
My first choice was Hidden Valley - a place I have used on other Sabbaths when the church was closed for a Regional - again too noisy for me.

I pulled up in my car at this popular hiking area into the hills, and wondered why there were so many cars parked! It didn't take long to discover that it was the annual mountain bike trials, and that there would be no peace - even in hidden valley! The place was crawling with people and bikes, not to mention the blaring of speakers.
I beat a hasty retreat to the next valley, where I knew I would practically have the place to myself, and so I did. Only met one young man with his bautiful black lab making an exit.
I climbed up through the bush to the pine trees, then off track up through the trees to the fenceline. I had been there once before and was heading for a certain willow tree in a small valley, but before I could get to it, I discovered a whole stand of willows - not the weeping kind, but shade, and we are talking 30 deg c, which is rather hot. I opted for the stand of trees, and chose with care which one I would sit under for me church service.
I took a hardcovered writing book, and recorded my time there which I will post separetly so as not to make this too long.
It sure beats coming home from church, head in a whirl, ears pounding and tramatized so I have to have lay activities after lunch in order to calm them down!
Hopefully things will improve for me in a fortnight when I have some day surgery done, and I can once again enjoy co-operate worship/fellowship, and not have to worry about escaping.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style #53795
02/05/05 03:15 AM
02/05/05 03:15 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Sabbath, January `15th 2005
Dry Gorge Track.

Awesome morning - still , blue sky, heat, summer day!

I headed for Hidden Valley to spend Sabbath morning in my very special retreat. Arriving at Bowenvale, the place was crawling with M. Bikes and riders - competitions! Anything but a place to retreat!!

I retreat to the cool of the bush, the singing of the birds, the sounds of silence, beauty, for beauty doesn't shout. It doesn't make a scene, it doesn't display pride, it just is - as God created it.

I pass a young man and his purebred lab and I get to thinking about Zac, a lab x, and I get to thinking about sin. Zac, the lab potential to be a large dog is dwarfed in x.(x with a foxy!)
Isn't that what sin does to me? I am dwarfed in sin, I can't reach my potential this side of heaven. If I allow it, sin will reduce me to ashes.

I look around me from this rock I sit on. Pine trees of all descriptions, surround me. Some have reached their growth potential and are strong and straight.Others, have grown 3/4 and snapped off, tall straight trunk, but dead, it's growth gone with a mighty wind. Other trunks curve this way and that, swayed by a mighty wind.

Lord, straighten me, take out the kinks of sin in my character. Remove the flaws that enroach my heart. Make me pure withing. Inspired in this beautiful place I write in the power of the Holy Spirit. Reach me! Teach me!
I am heading for Willow Valley ( my personal name choice), my next special place in this retreat.

And here I am , in a stand of willows, beautiful shade on a very hot day. A whisper of breeze arrives as I write, seed heads nodding gently. sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me. Resting in Jesus, I'm safe evermore.

I read the words of a hymn that speaks of the fair hills of Galilee and askes "what glorious vision did you see?" Your flowery slopes and summits trod, and grew in grace with man and God.
Last verse - Mine be the path Thy feet have trod
Duty, and love to man and God.

I read Psalm 66 - Tried by Fire

It seems to me the refining process is life long as I look back over 60 plus years of personal struggle
against the tide of of family/church abuse and as a peacemake, I don't understand the misery we have to endure when hearts long for peace, for joy in worship and meeting together. For phone calls that never come that would encourage and uplift. Surely that would be my strength.

God knows I need to be driven to my knees, I need to fall on the Rock, weep tears of bitterness to reap tears of Joy.
A bellbird tolls over the hill, cicaders sing the Hallelujah Chorus.
All is well
God is Love
Peace reigns in the heart
Joy overflows as I rest in Him.

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God
A place where all is joy and peace
Near to the heart of God.

Oh, Jesus
I am blest
You are my redeemer
You are sent from the heart of God
To minister to Your children
This is not a God forsaken world!

God is with us
in us
loving us
rescuing us - His precious own
every day, all day, as I allow.

God, doing what matters - through the pain, the rejection, the hate, the scorn, the sneer, hidden in the pretence of a kind word.

God reveals all, and all will be revealed
in His time, in His time.

Patience

God, give me patience and love to love those who hate me and set about to destroy me.
I pray this for all those affected in my church.
That we will be restored to our rightful place in Your church or wherever You want us to be working.

Don't be afraid, don't fret. Your personal trial, as painful as it may be, has been screened through God's wisdom and love. The refiner sits beside the crucible, tempering the flames, monitoring the process, waiting patiently until His face is morrored in the surface.

The fires of testing can produce a shining testimony.

Teach me Thy Way oh Lord - Amen

Fantails flit

Gentleness

Birds sing

Happiness

The dogs, my best friends, have waited quietly and patiently in this hour of Quiet rest, next to the heart of a Wonderful God!

I leave quietly..........I shall return to this very special place.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!