HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6768
08/22/02 04:43 PM
08/22/02 04:43 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I was cleaning up my favorites list yesterday and ran across a link I do not remember saving or where I even got it from. The name of the site is "Guardians Of The Spirit Of Prophecy". On this site this person is claiming that William White and Uriah Smith conspired together and have had some of the Spirit of Prophecy books changed. I am not including the link yet as I do not feel comfortable advertising this site for some reason. Gut feeling? Has anyone else heard anything like this? They have a list of books that have been changed and give the differences between them. I have copied below one instance they have on their site.

quote:
RED SEA ERROR EXPOSED

RED SEA CONTRADICTION

SOP Volume1, p. 209 -"The Egyptian host was triumphing THROUGH THAT NIGHT that the children of Israel were again in their power. They thought there was no possibility of their escape; for before them stretched the Red Sea, and their large armies were close behind them. IN THE MORNING, as they came up to the sea, lo, there was a dry path, the waters were divided, and stood like a wall upon either side, and the children of Israel were half way through the sea, walking on dry land. They waited awhile to decide what course they had better pursue. They were disappointed and enraged, that, as the Hebrews were almost in their power, and they were sure of them, an unexpected way was opened for them in the sea. They decided to follow them." Note:_ The Egyptians rushed into the Red Sea in the morning, in BROAD DAY LIGHT !

HERE IS THE FAKE: Patriarchs and Prophets pp. 287,288 :- " The Egyptians could no longer discern the camp of the Hebrews, and were forced to halt. But as the DARKNESS OF NIGHT DEEPENED, the wall of cloud became a great light to the Hebrews, flooding the entire encampment with the radiance of day. ...The Egyptians were seized with confusion and dismay. Amid the wrath of the elements, in which they heard the voice of an angry God, they endeavored to retrace their steps and flee to the shore they had quitted. But Moses stretched out his rod, and the piled-up waters, hissing, roaring, and eager for their prey, rushed together and swallowed the Egyptian army in their black depths. AS MORNING BROKE IT REVEALED TO THE MULTITUDES OF ISRAEL ALL THAT REMAINED OF THEIR MIGHTY FOES - THE MAIL-CLAD BODIES CAST UPON THE SHORE. From the most terrible peril, ONE NIGHT had brought complete deliverance." Note : In this account , the Egyptians marched into the Red Sea, in the DARKNESS OF NIGHT ! As we have already proven that Sister White was NOT authorized by God to change her writings, these contradictions in "Patriarchs and Prophets," are the work of the "brethren."

[ August 22, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6769
08/22/02 06:33 PM
08/22/02 06:33 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Avalee,

Isn't it sad to see the lengths to which some folk will go to stir up doubt and distrust. Your hunch seems right to be wary of these critics. Guardians they are not.

The part of the Patriarchs and Prophets passage that they use to "compare" leaves out several paragraphs. If one reads the whole passage, the context clearly implies that as the Israelites moved across the Lord followed behind them in the pillar of fire which illuminated their way, leaving the Egyptians in the shadow of the pillar. As they passed throught the sea, it says the Egyptians followed behind the pillar which would have left them out in the middle in the darkness or dim light of the very early morning hours. It says that "in the morning watch" the Lord turned the fire toward them creating panic and confusion where they were in the midst of the passage through the sea. The morning watch would have been the period just before daybreak. By that point the Israelites were safely out of the sea and as daylight was coming on, Moses stretched out the rod drowning the Egyptians. As day breaks, that is the sight that the Israelites see.

There really isn't any genuine inconsistency between the two passages. It seems that those wh would hold that EGW merelysat down and took dictation from God's lips, look at any variation in wording with suspicion. Understanding that EGW wrote and edited her own work over time, reused and adapted earlier writings and used other sources and a staff of assistants to help research and edit puts things in a more realisitic perspective and gives a broader, more meaningful understanding of inspiration.

Tom

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6770
08/23/02 03:11 AM
08/23/02 03:11 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Avalee,

When I first came back into the church someone started talking to me about the books being changed. There was something about a man in Canada who had done a lot of "reseach" proving that this or that one had changed EGW's writtings. My mother had run into someone thirty years ago who was telling her that Willie White and others had ordered books to be burned after Ellen White's death. Many stories of this nature are floating around. Just recently I heard (again) something about Uriah Smith had changed the Great Controversy. Totally bogus. Smith died in 1903 and EGW herself revised the book in 1911, eight years after Smith died.

If God could protect the writings of Scripture for 4000 years, He is perfectly capable of protecting the writings of EGW for 150 years. Satan doesn't care how he gets people to lay the work of His messenger aside and discount it, anything will serve his purpose. This is just one of those things.

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6771
08/23/02 10:50 AM
08/23/02 10:50 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Linda S:
Avalee,

If God could protect the writings of Scripture for 4000 years, He is perfectly capable of protecting the writings of EGW for 150 years. Satan doesn't care how he gets people to lay the work of His messenger aside and discount it, anything will serve his purpose. This is just one of those things.

Linda that was my thoughts exactly. For the life of me I do nt remember where or how this link ended up in my favorites..but it is sure deleted. Praise God for the Holy Spirits convictions.

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6772
12/14/02 07:50 PM
12/14/02 07:50 PM
R
Rodney Dunneback  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Michigan
The same folks who are trying to tear down the SP are the one's who think that the only Bible to study or read is the KJV. The find something to nit-pik and that is there cause, not the gospel.

Rod Dunneback

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6773
12/27/02 11:08 PM
12/27/02 11:08 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Hi Rodney,

I would have thought it 180 degrees the other way. If you were to feel that textus receptus material was going to get you as close as possible to what the Bible writting prophets said, then safeguarding SOP from a modern prophet would be a logical and comperable theological step.

Because if someone would only settle for inspiration, in an as undiluted, apples to apples translation format as the KJV only mindset preposes; then it would seem that they of all SDA's would want to follow through in the same mindset and safeguard SOP.

At least that's how it seems to me.

BTW on on my co-workers, only uses KJV. I would have thought she would have preffered the Douay - Rheims, since she is Catholic. On our home PC we use Online Bible freeware which has a wide assortment. But there would not be any real problems caused if KJV was the only Bible version available.

I got a real suprise when I looked up a text in KJV & DR once. It was talking about the sacrifices in the OT. KJV said sacrifice, DR said HOLOCAUST

EX:

(KJV)Exodus 20:24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
(DR)Exodus 20:24 You shall make an altar of earth unto me, and you shall offer upon it your holocausts and peace offerings, your sheep and oxen, in every place where the memory of my name shall be: I will come to thee, and will bless thee.

Exodus 24:5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD.
Exodus 24:5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, and they offered holocausts, and sacrificed pacific victims of calves to the Lord.

Leviticus 1:10 And if his offering be of the flocks, namely, of the sheep, or of the goats, for a burnt sacrifice; he shall bring it a male without blemish.
Leviticus 1:10 ¶ And if the offering be of the flocks, a holocaust of sheep or of goats, he shall offer a male without blemish.

Leviticus 1:13 But he shall wash the inwards and the legs with water: and the priest shall bring it all, and burn it upon the altar: it is a burnt sacrifice, an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD.
Leviticus 1:13 But the entrails and the feet they shall wash with water. And the priest shall offer it all and burn it all upon the altar for a holocaust, and most sweet savour to the Lord.

Leviticus 1:14 And if the burnt sacrifice<05930> for his offering to the LORD be of fowls, then he shall bring his offering of turtledoves, or of young pigeons.
Leviticus 1:14 But if the oblation of a holocaust to the Lord be of birds, of turtles, or of young pigeons:

This took me aback & I wondered why the word holocaust instead of sacrifice. lots of the words used and translated sacrifice = strong's #'s <05930>

05930 hle ‘olah o-law’ or hlwe ‘owlah o-law’

f act part of 05927; TWOT-1624c, 1624d; n f

AV-burnt offering 264, burnt sacrifice 21, ascent 1, go up 1; 289

1) whole burnt offering
2) ascent, stairway, steps

05930. hle æolah o-law’; or hlwe æowlah o-law’; feminine active participle of 05927; a step or (collectively, stairs, as ascending); usually a holocaust (as going up in smoke):—ascent, burnt offering (sacrifice), go up to. See also 05766.

So holocaust is within the list of definitions, but the english word holocaust does not connotate the idea of sacrifice but rather Auschwitz or Bergenbelsen or Trublinka - the Nazi death camps.

The english word sacrifice carries mental images & so does holocaust, but I saw a trend, that the Biblical context shows the appropriate definition to use. I also saw the trend that SOP uses similiar principles concerning the uses of words, phrases, definitions.

Few folks use the phrases "trig the wheels" or "chock the wheels" etc. Those phrases applied to animal powered transportation & the actions involved with wagons & sleights & so on.

Folks that want to modernize SOP, do not have the opportunity to consult EGW, so changing words, phrases, and word pictures - may retain some basic things, but runs the risk of giving a different set of connotations than EGW written SOP would do. God knows that, and has caused SOP to be spread in various media, as EGW wrote it & worked with assistants and approved of the finished books, manuscripts, and so on.

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6774
02/03/03 01:49 AM
02/03/03 01:49 AM
J
Jean Miller  Offline
USA
I've heard this too, and I called the Ellen White estate about it. I specifically asked about Great Controversy. They told me that indeed a committee of men edited Great Controversy. They also said that Ellen White authorized the changes they made.

However, I found the following quote written by Ellen White's son. "In a few places where ambiguous or misleading terms have been used, Mother has authorized a changed reading, but she protests against any change in the argument or subject matter of the book, and indeed, we find, as we study into the matter, a clear and satisfactory defense for those passages to which our critics might take exception."

My husband decided to do a close comparison between the original Great Controversy and the current Great Controversy. He found that about 200 pages have been added and many pages deleted. The changes were very major--not minor as Ellen White was saying in the above quote.

So, my question is this. Do committees of men think that God wasn't able to get His Word through His Prophet right the first time that they had to come along and do major changes?

For those who want to obtain the original Ellen White writings before being edited by committees of men, and do their own comparisons, go to www.vbates.com.

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6775
02/03/03 10:20 AM
02/03/03 10:20 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Ellen White died in 1915, well after the publication of the 1911 edition of GC. She approved of the changes.

Re: Have the Spirit Of Prophey Books Been Changed? #6776
02/03/03 02:03 PM
02/03/03 02:03 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Avalee:

Early in Mrs. White's ministry, she published (I think it was four) volumns that were titled: SPIRIT OF PROPHECY Vol. 1 . . . etc. Over a period of time, those sold so well that the publishers felt there should be another printing. Ellen White said no, she wanted to revise, and expand, to meet a more general audience than that intended for the SOP series. The books that she then wrote became know as THE CONFLICT OF THE AGES series. I think that you know what these favorite books are.

It should be pointed out, the the changes were made by Mrs. White. They were made as she then had a different audience in mind. But, yes, the Conflict series does hava a basis in the old SOP series. Today, you can find elements in GC, and other books in the series from the old SOP series.

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!