HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Holy Spirit #7372
08/13/00 11:39 AM
08/13/00 11:39 AM
B
Barb Loman  Offline OP
Charter Member
Adelaide, SA, Australia
Oh, I can't find the replies on my question about Ellen White, but never mind, here I go again. I hope I will come accross them. My question is - I go to a church where many go to the Assemblies of God Church often. Some claim to have been zapped by the Holy Spirit. One night we were having a meeting and one stated this but when I replied, 'well I think I should head there there' he was shocked. But tell me, is there any remote possibility of receiving the Holy Spirit in a pentecostal church. This is a very touchy topic. My daughter claims to have got hit with it, whilst singing in our church - and pointed out who in our church has received it. I know 'by their fruits' etc. but how long does that take? I don't think it's possible, but then, doesn't that mean I am judging so I shouldn't be making statements like that. My daughter and I have had many chats about this and we are both very much in disagreement, big worry for her dad and I. love Barb

------------------
Barb Loman

Re: The Holy Spirit #7373
08/13/00 12:08 PM
08/13/00 12:08 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As the Training & Testing Forum is not the place for these type of posts, I am going to move this topic into the Bible Study forum where a study of the Holy Spirit, who He is, what He does, etc. can be discussed.

I will temporarily leave a closed copy of it in the Training & Testing Forum.

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Re: The Holy Spirit #7374
08/13/00 04:08 PM
08/13/00 04:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barb

This is a very good question. Thankyou for bringing it up.

I too have had similar experiences/discussions about the Holy Spirit; but there is one thing I can say now...(I'm short on time; and will post more later).

It would be good to start a study by looking at what the Bible says about the Holy Spirit. According to Jo.16:13, one of the clear Bible evidences that the Holy Spirit has been at work, is the repeating of, and the receiving of, divine Truths about Jesus Christ.

If the person has just experienced a "feeling," accompanied perhaps by actual physical sensations; there is no Truth oriented purpose here.

The Holy Spirit always witnesses about Jesus Christ. If this has not taken place; then questions need to be asked.

I have found that regular prayer for individuals who have had a charismatic type experience with the Holy Spirit, is of great benefit, because these people do not often have an experience with Bible truths about our Lord, which is the main purpose of the Holy Spirit.

It is difficult when friends or loved ones get so convinced that their ecstatic feelings and experiences are of the Lord; but we can watch & pray, and try to share what we know...

------------------
"The joy of the Lord will be your strength." (Neh.8:10).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: The Holy Spirit #7375
08/14/00 11:51 AM
08/14/00 11:51 AM
B
Barb Loman  Offline OP
Charter Member
Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi David, thanks for replying to me on the Holy Spirit. A year ago in my mainstream SDA church a lady started getting 'slain' each week. It was unpleasant to watch. It appeared that the music worked her into a frenzy. We lost about 40 members to another Adventist church over her. I kept getting asked as I was vocal in stating I didn't like seeing this yet I kept getting told about Ellen White's getting slain. This is tough David as most the people were defending this lady while I was objecting. She then joined a Pentecostal church and eventually left altogether. It's hard to defend your feelings at times like this.
love, Barb

------------------
Barb Loman

Re: The Holy Spirit #7376
11/20/02 03:23 AM
11/20/02 03:23 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I just came across this topic while searching for some other topics in this forum.

A lady attending the Revelation Speaks Peace meetings that just ended has accepted the Sabbath, etc. but still plans on attending her own church simply because she believes and likes hearing them speak in tongues there. I didn't ask, but she may speak in tongues herself. This is why I am doing some research on what that church believes in that area as well as what the Bible actually has to say about the gift and use of tongues. You can find the other topic in the What Others Believe forum.

I think we need to do a complete study on the Holy Spirit.

Who would like to begin? [Smile]

[ November 19, 2002, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: The Holy Spirit #7377
11/25/02 04:31 AM
11/25/02 04:31 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Perhaps it would be better to break a study of the Holy Spirit into segments as it would be more feasible to study one part at a time. For example, this topic was started regarding one small componet of the work of the Holy Spirit, that of speaking in tongues, which is a componet of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Put another way:

Holy Spirit, third person of the Godhead
|
work of the Holy Spirit
|
gifts of the Holy Spirit
|
the gift of tongues

I believe that we need to do such a study on the Holy Spirit and His work, as there is confusion even among Adventists about the work and especially the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Re: The Holy Spirit #7378
11/25/02 04:57 AM
11/25/02 04:57 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
From my own study, begun a while back, I began with finding all the parts of the Bible that specifically detail gifts of the Spirit. You will notice that there is a number in <> after the word gift or gifts in the following texts. This is the Strong's Concordance number. The definitions are the end of this post.

Romans 12:
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6 Having then gifts <5486> differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

The gifts listed in this passage are:
  • prophecy
  • ministry
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • giving
  • ruling
  • mercy
Next is the passage in 1 Corinthians 12:
1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4 Now there are diversities of gifts <5486>, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation <5321> of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. [5321. phanerosis fan-er'-o-sis; from 5319; exhibition, i.e. (figuratively) expression, (by extension) a bestowment:_manifestation. ]
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
The gifts listed in this passage are:
  • wisdom
  • knowledge
  • faith
  • healing
  • miracles
  • prophecy
  • discerning of spirits
  • tongues
  • intrepretation of tongues
Strong's definitions:
<1435> doron do'-ron; a present; specially, a sacrifice:_gift, offering.
<1390> doma dom'-ah; from the base of 1325; a present:_gift.
<5486> charisma khar'-is-mah; from 5483; a (divine) gratuity, i.e. deliverance (from danger or passion); (specifically) a (spiritual) endowment, i.e. (subjectively) religious qualification, or (objectively) miraculous faculty:_(free) gift.
<3311> merismov merismos mer-is-mos'; from 3307; a separation or distribution:_dividing asunder, gift.
<1431> dorea do-reh-ah'; from 1435; a gratuity:_gift.
<1434> dorema do'-ray-mah; from 1433; a bestowment:_gift.

Re: The Holy Spirit #7379
11/24/02 05:11 PM
11/24/02 05:11 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Continuing. . . .

In 1 Cor. 12:28 we have a different list. Notice that these are not called "gifts" in this passage, but rather is says that God has put these in the church. Some items on this list are the same as the earlier verses but some are different.

"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts <5486> of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues."

The gifts in this passage are:
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • miracles
  • gifts of healings
  • helps
  • governments
  • diversities of tongues
The last Scripture passage to contain a list of gifts is Ephesians 4:
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts <1390> unto men.
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.
The specific gifts listed in this passage are:
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • evangelists
  • pastors
  • teachers

Re: The Holy Spirit #7380
11/24/02 05:44 PM
11/24/02 05:44 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Continuing. . . .

All four passages have some common denominators:
  • All were written by the Apostle Paul
  • All four lists contain prophecy or prophets
  • three lists contain teaching
The compiled list and the number of lists they appear in:
  • prophets & prophecy (4)
  • teachers (3)
  • apostles (2)
  • miracles (2)
  • gifts of healings (2)
  • governments, ruling (2)
  • diversities of tongues (2)
  • helps (1)
  • intrepretation of tongues (1)
  • exhortation (1)
  • giving (1)
  • mercy (1)
  • ministry (1)
  • evangelists (1)
  • pastors (1)
  • wisdom (1)
  • knowledge (1)
  • faith (1)
One other passage refers to a gift--1 Pet. 4:
8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
It appears that hospitality is a gift, but my perception of this passage is that all believers are to have and use hospitality. It says "every man (in other words, every individual) hasth received the gift."

There is much to learn about spiritual gifts and I have only just begun to study. I will post more later.

Re: The Holy Spirit #7381
11/24/02 10:10 PM
11/24/02 10:10 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well done, Linda! [Thank You]

I will be watching for more from you here, and from anybody else who wishes to insert something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!