HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #82400
12/12/06 02:27 AM
12/12/06 02:27 AM
F
forumsearcher  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
USA
Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents.

The question was "Does the ends justify the means?"

When it is God, who knows the end before the beginning, then He is just in all He does. God knows if He permits a certain circumstance in our life what the ultimate outcome will be, therefore He is is always working based on perfect knowledge.

We on the other hand work from very limited knowledge. Our best guess at the outcome of any situation is just that, a guess. Since we do not have all the information, the only correct choice is to be obedient to the One who knows all, where that information is clearly provided by the Word of God, and to trust in His love, grace, and knowledge to help us when we are required to walk by faith.

One section of scripture that comes to mind, which clearly shows that the ends do not justify the means, is Romans 6:1&2.

(Rom 6:1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

The Apostle Paul answered His own question:

(Rom 6:2) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Just because the "ends" is God's grace, it does not justify continuing in sin.

Someone mentioned God's perfect will, versus His permissive will.

(1Th 4:3) For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

This verse indicates that it is God's will that all live a sanctified life, free from fornication, but that is not always the case. Not all are surrendered to Him, and not all live holy lives.

Because of God's permissive will, He does not always obtain His perfect will. I know this statement may cause some raised eyebrows, but think about it.

(2Pe 3:9) The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Although God is not willing, many still perish, because they will not yield their will to His.

Jesus mourned over Jerusalem, when He said, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!"

His will was to gather them. Their will was not to be gathered.

The good news is that, although He does not always get His will, we can be encouraged because He is not only all knowing, but all powerful. Therefore He can take any circumstance, and make it work for our good.

(Rom 8:28) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Do the ends justify the means? No, but God takes whatever is surrendered to Him, and justifies those that love Him.

(1Co 6:11) And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: forumsearcher] #82402
12/12/06 05:59 AM
12/12/06 05:59 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Welcome forumsearcher.

Nicely written.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #82411
12/12/06 05:40 PM
12/12/06 05:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: I agree. In a permissive sense it is God's will for us to experience trials. I suspect, though, that we disagree as to who God allows to try us. I believe God accomplishes His will for us in different ways. Two of them are 1) He commands holy angels to try us, and 2) He gives evil angels permission to try us. In either case, God orchestrates the trial.

TE: What do you mean by "orchestrate"? Is this permissive will or active will? Why do you mean by "try"? Are you speaking of having bad things happen to us, like sickness or death?

MM: God tries us by allowing trials to befall us and by orchestrating them so that they do not undermine His intended outcome. He is both permissive and active.

……………….

MM: God does not allow anything to undermine His will for us. He works hard to ensure the most desirable outcome. I believe, like you, it is God's wish or preference that things were not such that trials are necessary for us to grow. Also, since trials are necessary for us to grow and mature as believers, I believe it would be uncaring and sinfully indulgent for God not to try us.

TE: You are acting as if it were possible for us to not be tried. How would that be possible? We live in a world full of sin and misery. How could we possibly not be tried?

MM: Again, God does not allow anything to happen to us or to our planet without ensuring the outcome does not undermine His will and desire. The trials God allows to befall us are not random; instead, they are regulated by God to serve His will and desire for us. True, our world is full of sin and misery, but God regulates it to serve His will and desire. There is nothing random or out of control about it.

……………..

MM: Under the circumstances it is God’s will for us to be tried. God does not tempt us. But He does try us.

TE: How do you see the difference between these two words?

MM: To “try us” means to allow trials to befall us for the purpose of growing us as Christians. To “tempt us” means to influence us to sin.

………………

MM: And, even though God doesn’t tempt us, He does regulate how Satan tempts us. God sets limits.

TE: Are you stating anything other than the obvious here? Obviously if God didn't set limits, Satan would kill us.

MM: I’m not talking about Satan killing us. I’m talking about God regulating how Satan tempts us. Do you see a difference?

………………..

TE: Regarding the second question, I think the evil angels pass up many opportunities to tempt us. For example, God may permit angels to tempt you to smoke pot, but they might choose not to do so (because they know it wouldn't work). They pass up permissible areas of temptation for more promising ones.

MM: What if pot smoking were a weakness of mine, which it isn’t, would God allow evil angels to tempt me indiscriminately? I do not believe God gives evil angels blanket permission to tempt us however they choose. Nor do I believe God leaves it up evil angels to decide how and when they are going to tempt us. I believe God scrutinizes every temptation and decides whether or not to allow it. Evil angels are not given the freedom to choose from a long list temptations from which they choose how and when they are going to tempt us.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82412
12/12/06 05:49 PM
12/12/06 05:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
FS: Because of God's permissive will, He does not always obtain His perfect will. I know this statement may cause some raised eyebrows, but think about it.

MM: God will never force anyone to love and obey Him. He leaves it up to us. Of course we must abide in Jesus in order to love and obey God. Otherwise, we are too depraved and degenerate to originate it. All of this is according to God’s will. I see no difference in this regard between His permissive will and His perfect will.

But what about God allowing trials to befall us? Does the end justify the means? In this case, the “end” is growth in grace, and the means is “trials”.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82417
12/12/06 07:25 PM
12/12/06 07:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
MM: Again, God does not allow anything to happen to us or to our planet without ensuring the outcome does not undermine His will and desire. The trials God allows to befall us are not random; instead, they are regulated by God to serve His will and desire for us. True, our world is full of sin and misery, but God regulates it to serve His will and desire. There is nothing random or out of control about it.
It is said that CS Lewis held a belief simmilar to this until the day his wife died...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: vastergotland] #82423
12/12/06 08:50 PM
12/12/06 08:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: I agree. In a permissive sense it is God's will for us to experience trials. I suspect, though, that we disagree as to who God allows to try us. I believe God accomplishes His will for us in different ways. Two of them are 1) He commands holy angels to try us, and 2) He gives evil angels permission to try us. In either case, God orchestrates the trial.

TE: What do you mean by "orchestrate"? Is this permissive will or active will? Why do you mean by "try"? Are you speaking of having bad things happen to us, like sickness or death?

MM: God tries us by allowing trials to befall us and by orchestrating them so that they do not undermine His intended outcome. He is both permissive and active.

Are you speaking of having bad things happen to us, like sickness or death? In what way is God active?

……………….

MM: God does not allow anything to undermine His will for us. He works hard to ensure the most desirable outcome. I believe, like you, it is God's wish or preference that things were not such that trials are necessary for us to grow. Also, since trials are necessary for us to grow and mature as believers, I believe it would be uncaring and sinfully indulgent for God not to try us.

TE: You are acting as if it were possible for us to not be tried. How would that be possible? We live in a world full of sin and misery. How could we possibly not be tried?

Your point is elusive. Of course since God doesn't permit certain things to happen, then what does happen is not random. Also since God doesn't permit some things to happen, He is obviously controling things. So you don't really seem to be saying anything. But perhaps you have more in mind, like the things which do happens happen because God intends them to happen? If a loved one dies, is that because God wanted that to happen? (I'm talking active will here. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to understand what you're thought is.)

……………..

MM: Under the circumstances it is God’s will for us to be tried. God does not tempt us. But He does try us.

TE: How do you see the difference between these two words?

MM: To “try us” means to allow trials to befall us for the purpose of growing us as Christians. To “tempt us” means to influence us to sin.

No one would disagree that God allows trials to come upon us, nor that God uses these trials for our good. Correct? So why are you making this point?

………………

MM: And, even though God doesn’t tempt us, He does regulate how Satan tempts us. God sets limits.

TE: Are you stating anything other than the obvious here? Obviously if God didn't set limits, Satan would kill us.

MM: I’m not talking about Satan killing us. I’m talking about God regulating how Satan tempts us. Do you see a difference?

You mean that God only allows Satan to tempt us in certain areas, but not in others? That's obvious, isn't it? God won't allow us to be tempted above what we are able. I don't understand why you're wishing to make this point.

………………..

TE: Regarding the second question, I think the evil angels pass up many opportunities to tempt us. For example, God may permit angels to tempt you to smoke pot, but they might choose not to do so (because they know it wouldn't work). They pass up permissible areas of temptation for more promising ones.

MM: What if pot smoking were a weakness of mine, which it isn’t, would God allow evil angels to tempt me indiscriminately? I do not believe God gives evil angels blanket permission to tempt us however they choose. Nor do I believe God leaves it up evil angels to decide how and when they are going to tempt us. I believe God scrutinizes every temptation and decides whether or not to allow it. Evil angels are not given the freedom to choose from a long list temptations from which they choose how and when they are going to tempt us.

I was simply pointing out that it isn't necessarily the case that evil angels always tempt us in areas where God doesn't prevent them, which is what you were asserting. There would be no reason for God to limit angels to tempt you to smoke pot, assuming that's not a temptation you couldn't overcome. But they might not bother, since they know that's not a potential weakness.

Your statement was that the evil angels never pass up an opportunity to tempt us. I was explaining the fallacy in this reasoning. Your response doesn't address my comment, because to show the fallacy in your reasoning it's only necessary to come up with one counterexample. That some counterexample might not be permitted by God has no bearing on the fact that there are counterexamples which disprove your assertion.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #82438
12/12/06 11:34 PM
12/12/06 11:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: It is said that CS Lewis held a belief simmilar to this until the day his wife died...

MM: In what way did he change his mind? Did he switch to believing God has no control over such things? that Satan is free to kill us as he pleases? that God has no say-so in the matter? I hope not!

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82441
12/13/06 12:13 AM
12/13/06 12:13 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Are you speaking of having bad things happen to us, like sickness or death? In what way is God active?

MM: Yes. However, perceiving such things as “bad” assumes they are not allowed and regulated by God. He is “active” in that He fights to make sure it is not more than He allows.

………………

TE: But perhaps you have more in mind, like the things which do happens happen because God intends them to happen? If a loved one dies, is that because God wanted that to happen? (I'm talking active will here. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to understand what you're thought is.)

MM: Nothing happens that God does not, given the circumstances, want to happen. Death is inevitable. So, God gives us an opportunity to honor and glorify Him in how and when we die. He decides how and when. Not Satan, not fate, not us. Our response to it determines whether or not we honor and glorify Him.

…………………

TE: No one would disagree that God allows trials to come upon us, nor that God uses these trials for our good. Correct? So why are you making this point?

MM: I believe it is, given the circumstances, His will and desire. The end justifies the means. Do you agree?

………………

TE: You mean that God only allows Satan to tempt us in certain areas, but not in others? That's obvious, isn't it? God won't allow us to be tempted above what we are able. I don't understand why you're wishing to make this point.

MM: The point is – Satan can tempt no one without God’s express permission. The reason God allows it is to give us an opportunity to disprove Satan’s accusations that God’s law cannot be obeyed, that God is tyrannical for requiring us to obey it. Satan’s temptations are a means to an end. Otherwise, God would not allow it. Do you agree?

………………………..

TE: Your statement was that the evil angels never pass up an opportunity to tempt us. I was explaining the fallacy in this reasoning.

MM: Again, God does not leave it up to evil angels to decide how and when to tempt us to sin. Every temptation is approved by God. Whether or not evil angels pass up such opportunities is unlikely. You believe you know for sure there are plenty of times when they do. I would like to qualify my previous post by saying – It is unlikely.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82446
12/13/06 12:36 AM
12/13/06 12:36 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:
MM: Nothing happens that God does not, given the circumstances, want to happen.

What "circumstances" have an effect on God's will?
How do "circumstances" come into the equation?
Isn't man's choice also a "circumstance"?
Isn't Satan a "circumstance"?
What circumstance is a "circumstance"?

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: forumsearcher] #82447
12/13/06 12:42 AM
12/13/06 12:42 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:
Do the ends justify the means? No, but God takes whatever is surrendered to Him, and justifies those that love Him.

(1Co 6:11) And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Amen!

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!