HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Johann] #83860
01/11/07 06:20 PM
01/11/07 06:20 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Using a different computer I discovered that in order for you to hear the message, you needed to have your Windows Media Player set to play mp3 files. After I set it to do that, it opened it up almost immediately.

Using Quick Player, or whatever it is called, it took a few minutes downloading the mp3 file before the browser window opened up the Quick Player and began playing the message.

I hope this helps those who are still wrestling with this problem.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Tom] #83863
01/11/07 07:01 PM
01/11/07 07:01 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
A lot of pastors preach lousy sermons. Why doesn't God just cause us to hear something better. Isn't that the same idea? The preacher preaches something lousy, but God supernaturally transforms the words into something mellifluous.

Actually, He's done that with me. He doesn't change the pressure waves headed toward my eardrums (I still hear the same thing), but somewhere between my ears and my brain, He puts in something better. In fact, that's exactly how I got the inspiration for my sermon on the Incarnation.

Does that qualify as a miracle? I think so. For God to put something good in my brain, there are more obstacles inside my head than in the air between the speaker's mouth and my ear. It will require more of a miracle to change my spirit than to manipulate the amoral laws of physics.

Did God really have to perform a miracle in this situation? It's impossible to say without knowing all the circumstances. But I know of one case where God supernaturally overruled the machinations of men - Balaam.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: asygo] #83868
01/11/07 07:43 PM
01/11/07 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, none of what you are saying addresses any of my points. In the situation suggested, there was a translator present. There was no need for God to perform a miracle of the type suggested.

In the case of your brain, God didn't change the words you were hearing, but gave you an insight. This agrees with what I was saying as well. This is exactly what God does. He doesn't supernaturally force us to perceive reality differently than what it really is, but gives us insights to properly perceive reality.

In the example of Balaaam, if Balaam had really just made a donkey noise, and Balaam had heard the sound as something different, that would be analogous to what's being suggested. As it actually happened, it is analogous to the actual gift of tongues.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Tom] #83871
01/11/07 07:54 PM
01/11/07 07:54 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
So are you saying that Balaam's donkey actually spoke words to Balaam, or did God, or an angel, speak through the medium of the donkey in the same way the devil spoke through the medium of the serpent when speaking to Eve?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Tom] #83872
01/11/07 08:02 PM
01/11/07 08:02 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
The suggestion is not that God gave the people understanding of a language they didn't know. That would actually make some sense. The suggestion is that the speaker spoke one language, and the hearers heard another. This would have the problems I mentioned. I'm not being unnecessarily difficult. I am perceiving problems which I would think would be easy to see.
And I am percieving this from an entierly different vantage point. Not so much the physics of the alleged miracle but the reasons for it. More further down.
Quote:

You'd have to develop your examples more in order for me to understand the connection you're making. They all seem to me to be establishing my point, not yours. That is, they all seem to me to be similar to the actual miracle of tongues that was conferred by the Holy Spirit, not the suggested gift of hearing.
My point is that at times, God sends word to people and then He confirms it by a miracle. In Moses case, wood becoming snake and back again was the confirmation to the elders of Israel that Moses was bringing something more than too many hours spent under a wasteland sun. The Romans speaking in tounges was confirmation for both them and Peter that the word Peter had preached was true and that Peter had rightly understood the dream preceding. Thus God confirming word with wonder. In this case, my thinking is that a miracle of miraculous understanding might confirm to the people that the preacher wasnt just another charlatan trying to pull them leggs. Thus the purpose here would be a source seal rather than improved translation which seemingly has been your thesis thus far.
Quote:

I won't go through all of them, but I will mention one. In the gift of feeding the 5,000, Christ performed this miracle for a specific purpose. Specifically, there were people who were hungry, without the means to eat. Now if there had been a cafeteria near by, and the people could have just eaten there, and Jesus chose to bypass that to perform a miracle instead, *that* would support the idea of a gift of hearing. God would have been bypassing what a human being could do. But in each case you gave, God did something a human being could not do.
You might do well to notice that this example was to illustrate your "1/20th worthy of Gods blessings" suggestion rather than adressing the question of signs accompanying preaching. Jesus did plenty of those aswell, though this might not be the best example to be found. Jesus fullfilled the need present in this case with food, just as the staff snake fullfilled the need of counteracting unbelief in the Moses example. I acctually agree with you that it would make litte sence for God to do the translation when a translater was present. Where we appear to disagree is with the question if translation was the purpose of this event.
Quote:

Also, when Jesus was pressed to do the miracle again, when the need was no longer present, He steadfastly refused to do so.
King Herod wanted Jesus to clown for him. Of course Jesus refused.
Quote:

In the case of the preacher, there was a translator present who was translating. For God to bypass this translator would be to bypass a whole host of principles that God has worked by, which I've already pointed out.

Also in your response about the crowd present, where the only requirement was to be there, this is making my point to. If the gift of tongues were given to the one speaking, then the only requirement would be present to hear the word of God, similar to the crowd present to eat. However, if the crowd present had to have the spiritual gift of hearing, that's not at all analogous to the crowd being present to receive the food Jesus was providing. To be analogous, they would have had to have had some sort of spiritual gift in order to be able to see the food, or something like that.
I think a thread to spread some light on Gods blessings and the fruit of the Spirit might be in order.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Daryl] #83873
01/11/07 08:04 PM
01/11/07 08:04 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
So are you saying that Balaam's donkey actually spoke words to Balaam, or did God, or an angel, speak through the medium of the donkey in the same way the devil spoke through the medium of the serpent when speaking to Eve?
You mean the donkey was possessed by an angle of God?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Tom] #83879
01/11/07 09:45 PM
01/11/07 09:45 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, none of what you are saying addresses any of my points. In the situation suggested, there was a translator present. There was no need for God to perform a miracle of the type suggested.

I'm suggesting that even if there was a translator present, there might still be a need.

And Thomas makes a good point about God confirming something by a miracle. Acts 10 records the gift of tongues was given to people who were gathered at a meeting. I think it is safe to say that if translators were needed, they would have been there. Otherwise, those people would not have attended.

In the case of your brain, God didn't change the words you were hearing, but gave you an insight.

I agree.

In the example of Balaaam, if Balaam had really just made a donkey noise, and Balaam had heard the sound as something different, that would be analogous to what's being suggested. As it actually happened, it is analogous to the actual gift of tongues.

I'm not talking about the donkey. I'm talking about the blessings Balaam spoke (instead of the curses that he preferred).

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: vastergotland] #83880
01/11/07 09:46 PM
01/11/07 09:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I wasn't speaking to this. I was saying that the sound which Balaam heard was actually the sound which emerged from the general direction of the donkey. If the donkey had actually made a typical donkey-like sound, and Balaam heard something different from the sound that actually emerged from the general direction of the donkey, then that would be analogous to the idea that a preacher preaches one thing, but people hear something entirely different than the sound that he actually produced. As it was, as it actually happened, it's analogous to the real gift of tongues.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Tom] #83881
01/11/07 10:00 PM
01/11/07 10:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thus God confirming word with wonder. In this case, my thinking is that a miracle of miraculous understanding might confirm to the people that the preacher wasnt just another charlatan trying to pull them leggs. Thus the purpose here would be a source seal rather than improved translation which seemingly has been your thesis thus far.

This isn't speaking to what was suggested. It was suggested that the preacher preached one thing and the people heard another. Not that the people miraculously understood what the preacher was saying.

I acctually agree with you that it would make litte sence for God to do the translation when a translater was present. Where we appear to disagree is with the question if translation was the purpose of this event.

You are proposing that God did some sort of miracle (which would not be the miracle of tongues; you agree about this, correct?) where people heard something different than what was said, for the purpose of letting the people know that the preacher should be listened to? That seems highly fanciful. He never did this for Jones or Waggoner. Or Ellen White. Or W. W. Prescott. Or anyone else, as far as we know. Wouldn't it be more practical for God to do what He normally does, which is to convict people of truth?

I can see, hypothetically, the need for the type of thing you are suggesting in say a hypothetical case where a missionary goes to some unknown tribe in the Amazon. But here we are talking about people who maybe have 3ABN available, who are aware of the world-wide church, who likely had already seen the preacher on television. And even in this case, it makes sense that the gift would be given to the preacher, not to those hearing the message, just as what happened in Acts.

Let's say hypothetically that God did do some new miracle like this, of which we have no record. How would we know it was God doing it?

Re: Audio Message on The Holy Spirit Led Church by Daryl Fawcett [Re: Tom] #83882
01/11/07 10:05 PM
01/11/07 10:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think most of the points I made to Thomas would address your points as well, Arnold. If we assume that the purpose was not to translate, but to confirm something by way of miracle, what would be being confirmed, and how would the gift of hearing confirm it?

Regarding Balaam, even in the case of him speaking blessings instead of curses, I'm not seeing the connection. The Lord spoke through Balaam. He didn't change the sound of the words he was speaking into different sounds.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!