HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Will] #85265
02/11/07 10:23 AM
02/11/07 10:23 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Will
Tom,
Several things here before I stop participating on this thread.
#1 you said: This is why, to be logically consistent,

Logically consistent according to who? Who makes the rules? You or God?
God makes the rules, and He has provided for us to learn the rules.
Quote:

#2. one must use a definition of free will that does not imply that a person can actually do A or B.

No one has to do anything at all, thats why its called "faith"
True, anyone can do whatever he wants. Thats why people who have seen UFOs or believe they are Napoleon Bonaparte arent thrown into institutions anymore...
Quote:

I am saying this from the perspective of a Christian.
#1 What does it do for me in my walk with Christ, absolutely nothing.
#2 How does it strengthen my faith, it doesn't.
#3How does it help me to achieve in knowing more about God, it doesn't.
In fact I find more harm being done by trying to use man made logic to figure out God when the Bible is filled with gems about His knowledge, Wisdom, and how He is, and the fulfilled prophecies about The Messiah, Jesus Christ and His soon return.

It is man and their flawed ideas that cause so many problems we find today in religion, even within our own denomination.
Some people enjoy this stuff for glorifying in the flesh, its quite obvious.
I find it discouraging and counterproductive to growing in Christ, seriously. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but then again I guess its the motive for the questions, which you clearly state and believe that God doesn't know the future. Bold words for someone who decays slowly each and everyday.
There are things I have read on forums that make me ask myself "With what authority do they question God in such a manner". Stuff I wouldn't share with anyone, but would admonish them and suggest, to keep on praying, walk by Faith in Christ, and he will lead you, and never take your eyes off of Him. Everything else is vanity.
Thats my 25¢
God Bless,
Will
The underlined part could easily be missunderstood. Perhaps you want to specify what you mean by it.

Also, while this question isnt one of concern for you. That is not true for the great majority of people as can be seen in the long disagreement between Lutherans and Calvinists regarding predestination. To know wether God has choosen for me to be saved or lost or wether I choose that for myself is to me a quite profound question. But of course you do not have to share my questions.

Also, I do think that all ideas that are going to be presented has been so. Nothing new has surfaced in a while now, only new ways to repackage what was already said. And it is not likely that anyone posting is going to change position. I think this is perhaps ripe to RIP. (Or if it is supposed to move forward towards something, let it do so now.)

May the Holy Spirit teach.

Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85267
02/11/07 12:50 PM
02/11/07 12:50 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Can God make a rock so big He can't lift it? If He can't, then the word "omnipotent" can't be applied to Him. Your argument is equivalent to this one.

It’s completely different. Your question is flawed because it poses a contradiction between God’s attributes. God can’t create a rock He can’t lift exactly because there is nothing He can’t do and, therefore, no rock He can’t lift. So omnipotence can’t contradict omnipotence. It's the same as saying that God is not omnipotent if He can't be bad.

On the other hand, if God didn’t know the future, He wouldn’t be omniscient. Besides, the argument that God's foreknowledge and man's free will are incompatible is also completely flawed.
The fact that God knows the future doesn’t fix it. Someone gave a good example about this. Let's say I use a time-machine to travel forwards in time to next week. I write down all your actions on Thursday in a book, seal the book and travel back again. I present you with the sealed book and tell you not to open it until the end of Thursday. When you read it, you see that I had prior knowledge of all your actions. Did I remove your free will? No, because I simply observed. I did not set in motion all the events leading up to your actions.
In the same way, if you travel to the future, watch a horse race and then travel back, you know what the result of that horse race will be, but did you make that specific horse win the race?

Now, while you tried to answer my first argument, I saw no answer for the following two:

1) our character is affected by the Holy Spirit's action, therefore, for someone to know what kind of character I will develop, he will have to know how I will respond to the Holy Spirit's working in my life (which, of course, is determined by my choice).

2) If God knew the character a person would develop, the person's character would be fixed, according to your position, and so would be his salvation or perdition, which are determined by the character. While the same might not be said about your personality, your character is entirely determined by your free will. Is your character fixed by God’s foreknowledge?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Rosangela] #85268
02/11/07 01:00 PM
02/11/07 01:00 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Lets say I travel with the time machine to the future and check out the horse race. Upon arriving at home again, would I be able to do anything which would eliminate that winning horse from the race, such as breaking its legg? Or would me knowing the horse will win prevent me from doing such a thing (by other means than greed)?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85269
02/11/07 01:07 PM
02/11/07 01:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This says that Adam could have written Genesis by dictation from God. Noone could have deviated from it anyways.

Thomas,

Moses wrote Genesis, after these things had already happened. But God made this prophecy to Rebekah while the children were yet in her womb. How could God know beforehand that Jacob would follow Him but Esahu wouldn't?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85270
02/11/07 01:15 PM
02/11/07 01:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Lets say I travel with the time machine to the future and check out the horse race. Upon arriving at home again, would I be able to do anything which would eliminate that winning horse from the race, such as breaking its legg? Or would me knowing the horse will win prevent me from doing such a thing (by other means than greed)?

I think in God's case He can and does sometimes intervene (sometimes warning the person, like in the case of Peter and Judas), as long as by that He doesn't violate anyone's free will.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Rosangela] #85271
02/11/07 01:26 PM
02/11/07 01:26 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
If God knows something is going to happen, and then intervene and by this intervention cause something else to happen (by for instance the human heeding the warning, then Gods forknowledge wasnt the last word in the matter. Such is agreeable.

Galatians 2

Re: The Contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85277
02/11/07 04:39 PM
02/11/07 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I can feel someone saying, "Eve could have chosen not to eat of the fruit, but if that had been the case, God would have known that." But the problem is that Eve's eating of the fruit was determined *before* she made her choice, not after.

MM: Determined? What do you mean? Sister White said nothing about it being determined. Divine hindsight determines nothing. It simply reports the facts.

“From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency.” (DA 22)

TE: Regarding the question if God knows if we will be saved, He didn't even know if Christ would be saved!

MM: None of the quotes you posted agree with this idea. You are assuming it.

TE: God sees things the way they are.

MM: God also sees things the way they were before they are. He "calleth those things which be not as though they were." (Rom 4:17)

TE: God's understanding of the future is based upon His unlimited intelligence and knowledge.

MM: And yet you believe God does not know the future with certainty. Is God just a good guesser, or does He base of His knowledge of the future on hindsight?

TE: Christ, the lamb slain from the foundation of the world, is a statement regarding God's character, not the inevitability of sin. It was never God's plan, design, or intent that sin would arise. Sin was not inevitable (or even likely).

MM: How could Sister White have stated it more plainly? There is nothing ambiguous about it, nothing tentative. She plainly says God knew Lucifer and man would sin. Period! No doubt about it. God's knowledge of the future is based on hindsight - not guess work.

DA 22
From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. (DA 22)

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85278
02/11/07 05:02 PM
02/11/07 05:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: If God knows something is going to happen, and then intervene and by this intervention cause something else to happen (by for instance the human heeding the warning, then Gods forknowledge wasnt the last word in the matter. Such is agreeable.

MM: His "interventions" are part of it, not an afterthought. When God watches the future like history He sees Himself interacting with FMAs. It's not like He goes back and does something different than He saw. That would be impossible.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85279
02/11/07 05:43 PM
02/11/07 05:43 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
TV: If God knows something is going to happen, and then intervene and by this intervention cause something else to happen (by for instance the human heeding the warning, then Gods forknowledge wasnt the last word in the matter. Such is agreeable.

MM: His "interventions" are part of it, not an afterthought. When God watches the future like history He sees Himself interacting with FMAs. It's not like He goes back and does something different than He saw. That would be impossible.

That means that God can do nothing about what he knows.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: John Boskovic] #85283
02/11/07 06:18 PM
02/11/07 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Will, I suppose you may not read this if you are not participating in the thread anymore, but I didn't read your post past the point that said that you won't be participating in the thread anymore. I didn't see the point.

If you wish to post something with the goal of carrying on a conversation, I'll be happy to read and respond to anything you'd care to write.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!