HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Judging people #32152
02/18/05 09:56 AM
02/18/05 09:56 AM
Windmill  Offline OP
New Zealand Christchurch
The bible says not to judge people..... yet it also says, according to my dad, that "by their fruits you shall know them"- isn't that saying that we can judge? Yet, doesn't the bible also tell us not to judge people?

=====

Edited to add a topic icon only. - Daryl

Last edited by Daryl Fawcett; 02/17/07 02:19 AM.
Re: Judging people #32153
02/18/05 11:00 AM
02/18/05 11:00 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Great Question Windmill!

As you walk along a path in nature, perhaps you see a few trees, and some spring flowers. Then you also remember the names of the trees, and the names of the different flowers. These are not judgments but knowledge. So it is like this with the church of God.

You will know God's church because the Holy Spirit will be blessing them with the fruits of the Spirit. Not just this fruit or that fruit, but all the fruits of the spirit will be produced.

If you see someone committing adultry, lying before others or any command, we have a responsibility to go and talk to the person that is causing sin. I suggest reading Matthew 18 to help you understand more.

quote:
The Fruits of the Spirit:
Galatians
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
How are the fruits given?
2 Peter
1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

quote:
Matthew
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Read carefully.

Now another lesson is the wheat and the tares. They will grow together. So let us consider how the wheat and the tares grow together.

Now you cannot tell (discern) the difference between the wheat and the tares, for they look the same .

Now wheat is a grain that represents the fruitful crop and tares represent the hidden fruits of wrong doings.

So you will not discern the difference of the two grains growing together until:
quote:
They bear up their fruits.
And in the Lord's Church there is a process to remove the wrong fruits. It is a process done through much prayer and humility.

Thank you,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri

Re: Judging people #32154
02/19/05 06:40 AM
02/19/05 06:40 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Taking what Cheri said even further, Jesus did tell us not to judge, but, He was talking about a certain type of judging.

quote:
Matthew 7:1-5 "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. (2) "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. … "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. (NASB)
The type of “judgment” that Jesus said not to do is selfish judgment, like when people try to cover up their own faults by pointing out other people’s faults. He called people who do that, hypocrites.

But there is a type of judgment that is right that we NEED to do.

quote:
John 7:24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment." (NASB)
Jesus is simply saying to use right judgment, good judgment, fruitful judgment, seeking out the truth of the matter for the good of all involved. Not judging just by what things LOOK like or not just so that it makes one’s self look better. Judging with a right judgment is for a righteous cause.

We should learn how to judge rightly so that we can detect dishonesty. This becomes important more and more as you grow older, because in life we often have to make decisions at least partly based on what someone tells us—both secular and spiritual decisions. Whether or not we can trust what someone says will often depend on rightly judging that person’s motives and character.

But just as important, as Jesus implied, we need to be able to discern not only other people’s character, but also our own. We can tell by people’s fruits if their words match their actions, but this also works with ourselves as well.

God Bless,

Jeff

Re: Judging people #32155
02/19/05 10:32 PM
02/19/05 10:32 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
To continue in the thread, a good question to ask when feeling the urge to judge someone for something is, "does this apply to me too and if so, how?". As an example a story I read in the church bulletin today. "A woman asked Gandhi to advice her son not to eat suggar. Gandhi answered, come back in a week and I will advice your son. So the next week the woman and her son came to visit Gandhi and he told the womans son about the perils of eating suggar. The woman then asked Gandhi, why couldnt you have told my son this last week? to which Gandhi answered, 'last week I too ate suggar'. "

One reason to be carefull about judging is that sometimes the faults of other people that annoy us are the ones we fight with ourselves, or perhaps have surrendered to, and we dont like being reminded of this.

/Thomas

Re: Judging people #32156
02/21/05 07:54 AM
02/21/05 07:54 AM
Windmill  Offline OP
New Zealand Christchurch
Thanks [Smile] this has helped me heaps! You guys rock [Big Grin]

Re: Judging people [Re: Windmill] #85537
02/17/07 02:17 AM
02/17/07 02:17 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The conclusion here then is that we can judge people by their fruit, and their fruit is revealed by their works or actions?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Judging people [Re: Daryl] #85539
02/17/07 02:32 AM
02/17/07 02:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The conclusion here then is that we can judge people by their fruit, and their fruit is revealed by their works or actions?

We're not very good at judging. We can leave that to God. Some things jump out at one though. Not judging someone is not an excuse to allow open sin.

Here's something from the Spirit of Prophecy:

Quote:
He who looks often upon the cross of Calvary, remembering that his sins placed the Saviour there, will never try to estimate the degree of his guilt in comparison with that of others. He will not climb upon the judgment seat to bring accusation against another. There can be no spirit of criticism or self-exaltation on the part of those who walk in the shadow of Calvary's cross.

Not until you feel that you could sacrifice your own self-dignity, and even lay down your life in order to save an erring brother, have you cast the beam out of your own eye so that you are prepared to help your brother. Then you can approach him and touch his heart. No one has ever been reclaimed from a wrong position by censure and reproach; but many have thus been driven from Christ and led to seal their hearts against conviction. A tender spirit, a gentle, winning deportment, may save the erring and hide a multitude of sins. The revelation of Christ in your own character will have a transforming power upon all with whom you come in contact. Let Christ be daily made manifest in you, and He will reveal through you the creative energy of How word--a gentle, persuasive, yet mighty influence to re-create other souls in the beauty of the Lord our God. (MB 128, 129)

What wonderful counsel this is!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Judging people [Re: Tom] #85542
02/17/07 10:33 AM
02/17/07 10:33 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
This is such an important subject. Judging...

I am thankful for all the light the Spirit of Prophecy sheds on this subject. John the Baptist comes to my mind...and the statement she makes quite a few times that he was an example for our time:

The work of John the Baptist, and the work of those who in the last days go forth in the spirit and power of Elijah to arouse the people from their apathy, are in many respects the same. His work is a type of the work that must be done in this age. Christ is to come the second time to judge the world in righteousness. {Mar 22.2}

I'm sure that when he preached "Repent and be baptized", that many accused him of judging. By him telling them that they needed to repent, he was telling them that they had sin in their lives....and you can be sure, there were many like Herodias who didn't want to hear that....and would accuse him of judging.

So, it shouldn't surprise us, if we follow in the footsteps of John the Baptist, to be accused of judging, as well. As someone mentioned earlier, there is such a thing as "righteous judgment". In fact, I believe that if we do what is right, live and preach the truth, we too, will not be liked by many in leadership positions, any better than was John the Baptist...or Jesus for that matter....

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: Judging people [Re: Tammy Roesch] #85706
02/24/07 01:22 AM
02/24/07 01:22 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I know it seems like I quote it all the time, but it is only because it has become one of the most obscure text in Christianity. Believe it or not, we are actually told to judge by the apostle Paul!

Quote:
I wrote you in my earlier letter not to associate with those who sin sexually. But I did not mean you should not associate with those of this world who sin sexually, or with the greedy, or robbers, or those who worship idols. To get away from them you would have to leave this world. I am writing to tell you that you must not associate with those who call themselves believers in Christ but who sin sexually, or are greedy, or worship idols, or abuse others with words, or get drunk, or cheat people. Do not even eat with people like that. It is not my business to judge those who are not part of the church. God will judge them. But you must judge the people who are part of the church. The Scripture says, "You must get rid of the evil person among you."
1 Corinthians 5:9 – 13 NCV[/b]

Oh Happy Day!
Re: Judging people [Re: Davros] #85709
02/24/07 01:44 AM
02/24/07 01:44 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That is a very relevant quote, particularly with what is going on amongst some of those who use the name Seventh-day Adventist, which we are still discussing in one particular forum, which we won't say anything further about here.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!