HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9064
03/03/02 07:17 PM
03/03/02 07:17 PM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
Ellen White clearly tells us what was done away with at the cross in a number of quotes about the Ceremonial Law. Here's a couple of representative quotes.

"’In the midst of the week He shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease.’ In A.D. 31, three and a half years after His baptism, our Lord was crucified. With the great sacrifice offered upon Calvary, ended that system of offerings, which for four thousand years had pointed forward to the Lamb of God. Type had met antitype, and all the SACRIFICES AND OBLATIONS of the ceremonial system were there to cease.” Great Controversy, p. 327.

“We have the types and the shadows in the ceremonial laws, and these were to last until they should meet the reality. The SACRIFICIAL OFFERINGS were continually revealing the fact that Christ was coming to our world, and when type met antitype in the death of Christ, then the sacrificial offerings, typifying Christ, were no more of any value, but the royal law of God could not be changed.” Advent Review & Sabbath Herald, July 15, 1890.

Ellen White is saying that the Ceremonial system consisted of the sacrificial system and the offerings that went along with those sacarifices.

However, Ellen White then goes on to say that rest of the Mosaic Law was not done away with at the cross and that the Mosaic Law is simply the Ten Commandments in greater detail--in other words God explained what He meant by the Ten Commandments in the Mosaic Law by giving specific examples. Here's the quotes.

“In consequence of continual transgression, the moral law was repeated in awful grandeur from Sinai. Christ gave to Moses religious precepts which were to govern everyday life. These STATUTES were explicitly given to guard the ten commandments. THEY WERE NOT SHADOWY TYPES TO PASS AWAY WITH THE DEATH OF CHRIST. They were to be binding upon men in every age as long as time should last. These commands were enforced by the power of the moral law, and THEY CLEARLY AND DEFINITELY EXPLAINED THAT LAW. Signs of the Times, April 15, 1875. SDA Bible Commentary Vol. 1, p. 1104.

“That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, ILLUSTRATING AND APPLYING THE LAWS OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. These laws were called judgments, both because they were framed in infinite wisdom and equity and because the magistrates were to give judgment according to them. Unlike the Ten Commandments, they were delivered privately to Moses, who was to communicate them to the people.” Patriarchs and Prophets p. 310

So since Ellen White says so clearly that it was only the sacrificial system but that passed away but that the rest of the Mosaic Law is still in binding, why do most believe that the Mosaic Law was done away with at the cross?

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9065
03/03/02 08:53 PM
03/03/02 08:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This is such a huge question. The law of Moses contained regulations regarding social, dietary, sanitary, judicial, slavery, etc., so which of these were done away with when God replaced the Israeli theocracy with the church? Are supposed to stone people when they break the sabbath or commit adultery? Are women supposed to leave town during their monthly cycle?

It would seem that the principle still remains while the precept and particulars have been done away with (although in some cases even the specifics still apply today unchanged, i.e., teh dietary laws). What do you think?

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9066
03/04/02 05:06 PM
03/04/02 05:06 PM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
I think that Ellen White gives us a huge clue when she says that the Mosaic Law explains the Ten Commandments. I was curious, so I went through the Mosaic Law and beside each law that further explained one of the Ten Commandments, I put the number of that Commandment beside it. It was very interesting and not at all difficult to do. I've decided that as soon as I have time I'm going to type up each Mosaic Law under the Commandment that it further interprets. After doing this I decided that any law that could be put under one of the Ten Commandments is still binding, and any law that cannot was done away with at the cross.

For instance, all the health laws come under "Thou shalt not kill" since we kill ourselves if we don't follow health laws. I'm a nurse and I read through the health laws with the germ theory in mind and it made perfect sense. For instance, the medical profession knows that certain germs live so many hours or days on certain surfaces before it dies. I think that God had the "unclean" laws in effect because He knew that in certain situations the germs would live on a person's skin for that long.

All sexual laws come under "Thou shalt not commit adultery" and all laws about not taking advantage of someone else come under "Thou shalt not steal," etc. It was very eye opening to rate each Mosaic Law like this. If Christians still believed in the Mosaic Law it would protect us from many evils. For instance, sadly, like other churches, some in our church now believe that homosexuality is ok. They wouldn't if they believed in the Mosaic Law because in the Mosaic Law it specifically condemns homosexuality.

I also did a study from the Bible as to what the Bible itself says was done away with at the cross. Here's the result of my study.

The Bible is clear as to what was done away with at the cross.

1. The sacrificial system and the oblations. See Daniel 9:27. Oblations means offerings (see Strong's Concordance). These offerings would have been the wine and grain offerings offered along with the lamb sacrifices. See Numbers 28.

2. The civil penalties for violation of the law. Since Israel was a theocracy, they had to have punishments written for breaking the law much like any country does. However, since we are no longer under a theocracy, we are to obey the laws of the land we live in, provided these laws don't break the laws of God. Jesus demonstrated this when they brought the adulterous woman to him and He did not advocate stoning her. Elsewhere Jesus said to give Caesar what is due Caesar. See John 8:3-11, Matthew 22:21, and Acts 5:29.

3. The Levite priesthood. The New Testament says that we are now all kings and priests. Rev. 1:6.

4. Circumcision. Acts 15.

5. The temple services. God demonstrated that the temple services came to an end at the cross when the curtain in the temple was rent from top to bottom exposing the Most Holy Place, which only the High Priest was permitted to see. Matthew 27:51. Eliminating the temple services does not eliminate days of worship as we see by the example of Jesus and the apostles in the NT (Luke 4:16, Acts 13:44, Acts 16:13, and Acts 20:6.)

Excepting the above five items, I believe the rest of the Mosaic Laws that can be put under one of the Ten Commandments are still in force. If we believe that just the spiritual principles of the Mosaic Law remain then we are giving ourselves permission to "pick and choose" from the Mosaic Law--something I believe dangerous in our sinful state. For instance, most Christians believe the Ten Commandments were eliminated at the cross but the spiritual principles still remain. In reality what this does is keep 9 of the Commandments in force but eliminate the 4th Commandment because they say the principle behind it is to rest one day a week--and that day doesn't have to be on the 7th Day.

What do the rest of you think about this?

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Jean Miller ]

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9067
03/06/02 04:55 AM
03/06/02 04:55 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Does the Bible not say "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever"? Do we not agree that it was Jesus who handed down the laws to Mosees on Mount Sinai? I don't believe the women had to leave town during their monthly, they were unclean and were not to be uncovered during that time. To be honest, some days I wish we could be like that - banished for 7 days, at least we would get some rest!

How do we decide what laws continue and what don't? How do we honour God through His laws wihtout becoming legalistic and turning away from the greatest commandment - to love Him? One thing I have noticed as I read through the books of Moses, particularly Deuteronomy, is that after repeating the laws, Moses always emphasizes that they are to "love the Lord your God".

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9068
03/05/02 09:47 PM
03/05/02 09:47 PM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
The part of the Mosaic Law that explains the Ten Commandments further is love because the Ten Commandments are love. The first 4 Commandments are love to God and the last 6 Commandments are love to man. The Ten Commandments are love in action! Tell me, how happy would you be if your husband committed adultery? Not very, I would imagine. How happy would you be if someone murdered your child. Again, not very happy. This shows that the Ten Commandments are love, which makes the Mosaic Law that further explains the Ten Commandments also love.

Why do so many seem to think that commandment-keeping is not love? It is love in action! It is only when one follows the letter of the law without love in their heart that it becomes legalism.

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9069
03/06/02 08:28 PM
03/06/02 08:28 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Great study....I am looking forward to getting deeper into this....I am on my way to work right now so can not read it as much as I want to until later.

I copied this page from a Bible with helps in the back and then put it on my website and wanted to share.....I don't know if it fits but I found it interesting to study.

http://www.geocities.com/avalee50/GodsLaws.html

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9070
03/07/02 05:19 PM
03/07/02 05:19 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I guess the reason I bring up the concern of becoming "legalistic" in keeping the laws, is because history has shown us that too often man becomes more concerned about what he does than why he is doing it.

The law is there to point us to Christ, to life, but many see it as just a list of don'ts. When we become more focused on keeping laws than living Christ, then we have become legalistic.

It is a reality that Adventists are susceptible to becoming legalistic and losing sight of the purpose of the law that they are so careful to uphold. My question is, how do we keep sight of Christ in everything we do, keep His laws, and still remain a child of God?

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9071
03/08/02 05:54 AM
03/08/02 05:54 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
This is the new covenant spoken in Deut 5:29 "O that there were such an heart in them that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always that it might be well with them and with their children for ever (even down to 2002)". That cry from God is what is promised in the new covenant of Hebrews 10:16. That heart to honor and fear God was lost in the garden of Eden. It can only be received by grace and faith. Then God can come in and live and do in our hearts. Then the mind of God will be in us and we will intuitively be in harmony with His law and His will.

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9072
03/08/02 07:21 PM
03/08/02 07:21 PM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
Avalee, the page you referred to was contrasting the Moral Law with the Ceremonial Law. I agree, the Ceremonial Law was done away at the cross. As this page states, the Bible says in Eph 2:15 AND Col 2:14 that a law was done away with--but those texts do not tell us which law. Since we must always let the Bible interpret itself, to find out which law was eliminated, we go to Daniel 9:27 where it says that the sacrificial system was eliminated. The sacrificial system is only a part of the Mosaic Law. Much of the Mosaic Law is as Ellen White said--a further explanation of the Ten Commandments.

Sarah, how do we keep God's laws without being legalistic? By putting Jesus into the heart of each law. If we truly love Jesus we won't want to break His heart by lying, stealing, cheating, etc. The Commandments are a wall of safety around us--to keep us happy. When we break these Commandments it brings sorrow and unhappiness. That's why God gave these laws. He knew that these laws are the laws to true happiness.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Jean Miller ]

Re: Ellen White and the Mosaic Law #9073
05/12/02 01:52 AM
05/12/02 01:52 AM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
Not EGW, but this might help:

from Thomas R. Schreiner, "The Abolition and Fulfillment of the Law in Paul," Journal for the Study of the New Testament 35 (1989): 47-74:

In Paul’s mind "obedience to the law was simply impossible for those who did not have the Spirit, who were dominated by the flesh (Rom. 8:5-8). But Paul strains to make it clear in Rom. 7:7ff. that he sees no intrinsic problem with the content of the law. The commandment is still from God; the problem is the lack of power to do what God has commanded.

Thus, Paul can speak of being liberated from the law in two senses. 1. It can signify liberation from the Mosaic covenant which contains rites that are particularly Jewish and therefore leads to a separation between Jews and Gentiles. 2. It can also signify liberation from the power of sin which uses the law as a bridgehead. But now that the age of the Spirit has arrived and Christ has broken the power of sin by his death, the age of slavery to sin has ended." (Page 58)

"Paul still thinks that the universal moral norms contained in the Mosaic laws are authoritative for the church. Believers by faith in the power of the Spirit can obey the moral norms of the OT law." (Page 59)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!