HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Questions on Mary Magdalene #9125
03/28/02 06:10 PM
03/28/02 06:10 PM
Amelia  Offline OP
Portland,Oregon USA
Last night I watched a very good program on Mary Magdalene. The first question posed: Was she or wasnt she a harlot? I have never believed this myself as it was a catholic view since recinded by pope john paul II. The concensus was that she wasnt. That Mary M. wasnt the sinner who washed the feet of Jesus with her tears. And her 7 demons were not sexual addiction.(I had never ever heard that slant before, in fact the experts on the show declared them not to be demons at all. So what did Jesus cast out if not demons like the bible says?) The experts all came from well known schools of teaching. Harvard, Yale etc. Most of the history of Mary was derived not only from the bible but also from other material like the Apocrypha, Gnostic works other Gospels etc. My question is this. How much of this other work is taught in Adventist theology? Does any of it have light even though it wasnt included in the bible? How is Mary M. taught in theology?

Amelia

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9126
03/28/02 10:52 PM
03/28/02 10:52 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Hmmm. Interesting topic Amelia! Thank you for posing this question. I am sure that many will respond, but I wanted to let you know that I will be back once I have had an opportunity to study this a little more in depth and have my resources at hand.

God bless you in your search for truth!

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9127
03/29/02 01:09 AM
03/29/02 01:09 AM
Amelia  Offline OP
Portland,Oregon USA
Thankyou Sara, Im eager to hear what you and others have to say. Most of what Ive found on the net have been based on myth or catholic teachings. Myth is ok as it can have a thread of truth in it but Id like to stay away from any catholic saint issues.

Amelia

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9128
04/15/02 10:36 PM
04/15/02 10:36 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for raising this subject, Amelia. The story of Mary Magdalene is really instructional for all of us. I had some good things impressed upon my soul while looking up these references :-)

Starting with the Bible, we have 12 verses which speak of "Mary Magdalene" specifically. These are Matthew 27:56, 27:61, and 28:1; Mark 15:40, 15:47, 16:1, and 16:9; Luke 8:2 and 24:10; and John 19:25, 20:1, and 20:18. None of these verses speak of her as being a harlot, so neither should we.

Where the seven devils is concerned, the Greek word "daimonion" is used for the English "devils" in Mark 16:9, "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven devils." The same word "daimonion" is used in Luke 8:2, "And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils."

This same Greek word is used many times throughout the gospels, notably in Mark 1:34: "And He healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew Him." Also Luke 8, the account of the Gadarene demoniac -- "And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him." Luke 8:30.

So whatever these "devils" were, that were cast out of Mary Magdalene, the same type of thing was cast out of the Gadarene, and many others. For "experts" to say that the devils cast out of Mary weren't really demons at all, is to say that there really is no such thing as devils in the first place! Which is a common practice these days. Modern psychiatry has consigned the idea of evil spirits to the "superstitious old wives' tale" category, which is unfortunate. "Science falsely so called" (1 Timothy 6:20) is helping Satan cloak his doings, and those of his helpers.

The Bible passages mentioning Mary Magdalene don't establish her identity as being the same Mary who was sister of Lazarus and Martha; who anointed Jesus' feet with oil, washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair (Luke 7:36-50; John 11:1-2, 12:1-8). But Ellen White does make this identification.

"At the table the Saviour sat with Simon, whom He had cured of a loathsome disease, on one side, and Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead, on the other. Martha served at the table, but Mary was earnestly listening to every word from the lips of Jesus.....At great personal sacrifice she had purchased an alabaster box of 'ointment of spikenard, very costly,' with which to anoint His body." - Desire of Ages, pp. 558-559.

Still in the same chapter, speaking of the same Mary: "Mary had been looked upon as a great sinner, but Christ knew the circumstances that had shaped her life.....Seven times she had heard His rebuke of the demons that controlled her heart and mind....Mary was first at the tomb after His resurrection. It was Mary who first proclaimed a risen Saviour." DA 568. Scripture says it was Mary Magdalene who first saw the empty tomb, then the risen Christ, and who first ran to the apostles with the news that He was alive. John 20:1-18. What an incredibly high honor! She emptied herself and made some of the greatest sacrifices for her Lord, showed great love for Him; and was highly rewarded for it. "Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her." Matthew 26:13. (Not to mention her reward when He comes again, and for all eternity afterwards.)

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: John ]

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9129
04/17/02 08:02 PM
04/17/02 08:02 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I want to thank you Amelia for bringing up this topic. I never realized before that Mary was not identified in the Scriptures as to her specific life of sin. I believe there is a lesson in this for us! Jesus did not dwell on who she WAS, but only on who she became through Him!

I had always accepted the common idea that she was the prostitute whom the leaders trapped when Jesus wrote in the sand, but I have not found anywhere that supports that in the Bible or EGW. Thank you John for sharing your supports and conclusion as well.

As John indicated, many in today's society no longer believe in demons - in fact one of my prior employers told me that he did not believe in the devil. I was thinking a few moments ago that those who refuse to believe in the devil are, in essence, calling God a liar because He very much states that there is a devil and that the devil is the enemy of God.

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9130
04/18/02 05:03 PM
04/18/02 05:03 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
He who gave back to the widow her only son as he was carried to the burial is touched today by the woe of the bereaved mother. He who wept tears of sympathy at the grave of Lazarus, and gave back to Martha and Mary their buried brother; who pardoned Mary Magdalene; who remembered His mother when He was hanging in agony upon the cross; who appeared to the weeping women, and made them His messengers to spread the first glad tidings of a risen Saviour--He is woman's best friend today, and is ready to aid her in all the relations of life. {RC 170.5}

Great study.

I have changed the font color where the Spirit of Prophecy is mentioning the different women Jesus helped while here on this earth. The way I am reading it it is saying that Mary, Martha and Lazuras's sister, is different than Mary Magdalene. How do you all read it? Seems to me that I heard somewhere in SDA circles that they thought Mary Magdalene was the sister Mary. But this quote lists her separate from Mary their sister.

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9131
04/19/02 04:03 PM
04/19/02 04:03 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Avalee, that is something I also noticed when studying this topic, in fact, Mary seems to be a very popular name at Jesus' time (as it is today) and perhaps this has caused part of our confusion!

One movie, actually, that brought the difference clearly to my mind is "The Greatest Story Ever Told". This movie, while it is not always Biblically accurate, nor complete, does it's best to portray the Scripture and Christ's life with no interpretations, and also does not portray Lazarus' sister as being the adulterous woman, nor Mary Magdelene! (In fact, Mary of Bethany is introduced very early in the movie - much before the adulterous woman and Mary Magdelene is not identified very clearly at all - much is not included, probably in a bid to shorten the movie which is already 3 hours.)

On the other hand, much that has been written under the impression that Mary Magdelene, Mary of Bethany and the adulterous woman are one and the same have been a great blessing to many! I draw attention to the book "At Jesus' Feet" by Doug Bachelor which has been a great blessing to me and to my friends (some of whom are not Adventists nor Christians). (In fact, if you can handle the inaccuracy of the identity of Mary, I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!)

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9132
04/24/02 04:24 PM
04/24/02 04:24 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Sarah....I have read the book by Pastor Batchelor you are talking about....I thought I should since he is my pastor LOL....I have to admit I have such a bad memory that I do not remember much of it..but it seems to me that who he said Mary was does not go with the quote I posted from above. I may be wrong...a friend let me read her book so I do not have it to check and see who he said Mary was.

And yes Mary seemed to be a very popular name. There is one scripture or quote that uses the phrase "and the other Marys"

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9133
05/01/02 02:15 AM
05/01/02 02:15 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I thought I read somewhere in the SOP writings that they are all the same person.

Re: Questions on Mary Magdalene #9134
05/02/02 03:50 AM
05/02/02 03:50 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Daryl, I had the same vague recollection, but when I went to find it I couldn't. Of course, I may not have the right book(s). I also thought there was some relation to Simon (the leper). ?? Anyone know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!