HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: Rosangela] #92012
09/24/07 09:39 PM
09/24/07 09:39 PM
T
TerryH  Offline
Posting New Member
United Kingdom
Thank you Rosangela. It's nice to be here!

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: TerryH] #92069
10/01/07 05:03 AM
10/01/07 05:03 AM
T
TerryH  Offline
Posting New Member
United Kingdom
Hi all

As a matter of interest, seeing that we have said here that Jesus laid aside His prerogative to use in His own right His powers of Deity (at least this is what I believe), what is the consensus of opinion regarding whether He could have sinned or not? There is also the question of if this was possible and He had sinned, what would have happened to Him?

I am just wondering what the overall opinion of SDA’s is on this one. It would be very interesting to know. I hope a lot of people contribute.

I am also hoping it was ok to continue this thread with this question and not start another thread. It just seemed a natural follow on from what has been said already.

Regards

Terry

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: TerryH] #92073
10/01/07 02:19 PM
10/01/07 02:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
What Ellen White says:

He could have sinned:

"Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin. He is the second Adam. The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin, his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden." {13MR 18.1}

What would have happened if He had sinned:

He would have lost His deity:

"Though Christ humbled Himself to become man, the Godhead was still His own. His Deity could not be lost while He stood faithful and true to His loyalty." {ST, May 10, 1899 par. 11}

The wrath of God would have come upon Him and He would have been without hope:

"He was touched with the feeling of our infirmities, and was in all points tempted like as we are. And yet He knew no sin. He was the Lamb 'without blemish and without spot' (1 Peter 1:19). Could Satan in the least particular have tempted Christ to sin, he would have bruised the Saviour's head. As it was, he could only touch His heel. Had the head of Christ been touched, the hope of the human race would have perished. Divine wrath would have come upon Christ as it came upon Adam. Christ and the church would have been without hope." {1SM 256.1}

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: Rosangela] #92076
10/01/07 04:50 PM
10/01/07 04:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From Scripture we are told that Christ was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. If Christ could not have sinned, He could not have been tempted. There is no temptation without the possibility of giving in.

Regarding the results of such (had Christ sinned), not only would Christ and the church have been without hope, the results would have been even more far reaching than that. Since God had no greater to swear by, He swore by Himself to Abraham in His promises to him, which were contingent upon Christ's success.

Quote:
Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled. At the foot of the cross, remembering that for one sinner Christ would have laid down His life, you may estimate the value of a soul. {AG 175.2}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: Tom] #92083
10/02/07 02:50 PM
10/02/07 02:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"I am the resurrection, and the life." He who had said, "I lay down my life, that I might take it again," came forth from the grave to life that was in Himself. Humanity died: divinity did not die. In His divinity, Christ possessed the power to break the bonds of death. He declares that He has life in Himself to quicken whom He will. {5BC 1113.6}

"Was the human nature of the Son of Mary changed into the divine nature of the Son of God? No; the two natures were mysteriously blended in one person--the man Christ Jesus. In Him dwelt all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. When Christ was crucified, it was His human nature that died. Deity did not sink and die; that would have been impossible. Christ, the sinless One, will save every son and daughter of Adam who accepts the salvation proffered them, consenting to become the children of God. The Saviour has purchased the fallen race with His own blood. {5BC 1113.2}

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: Mountain Man] #92086
10/02/07 06:41 PM
10/02/07 06:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Good quotes, MM.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: Tom] #92087
10/02/07 11:03 PM
10/02/07 11:03 PM
T
TerryH  Offline
Posting New Member
United Kingdom
I agree that divinity cannot die or cease to be but that is a nature not a person. It was the PERSON of the Son of God who died at Calvary. He died in His humanity. It was also the PERSON of the Son of God who would have gone out of existence if He had sinned. He would have been lost in His humanity. Divinity as a nature would have remained.

“Who can estimate the value of a soul? Go to Gethsemane, and there watch with Jesus through those long hours of anguish when he sweat as it were great drops of blood; look upon the Saviour uplifted on the cross; hear that despairing cry, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Look upon that wounded head, the pierced side, the marred feet. Remember that Christ risked all; "tempted like as we are," he staked even his own eternal existence upon the issue of the conflict.”(Ellen G. White, General Conference Bulletin 1st December 1895 ‘Seeking the Lost’)

“He became subject to temptation, endangering as it were, His divine attributes. Satan sought, by the constant and curious devices of his cunning, to make Christ yield to temptation.” (Ellen G. White, Letter 5, 1900, as quoted in the Seventh-day Adventists Bible Commentary Volume 7 page 926)

“To the honor and glory of God, His beloved Son -- the Surety, the Substitute -- was delivered up and descended into the prisonhouse of the grave. The new tomb enclosed Him in its rocky chambers. If one single sin had tainted His character the stone would never have been rolled away from the door of His rocky chamber, and the world with its burden of guilt would have perished.” (Ellen G. White, Ms. 81, 1893, p. 11, Diary entry for Sunday, July 2, 1893, Wellington, New Zealand)

Terry

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: TerryH] #92088
10/03/07 03:06 AM
10/03/07 03:06 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Terry, interesting quotes. How did you come up with the idea that Jesus' "person" would have died but not His "nature"?

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: Mountain Man] #92096
10/03/07 08:45 PM
10/03/07 08:45 PM
T
TerryH  Offline
Posting New Member
United Kingdom
Hi again Mountain Man

May I first correct what you say in your question.

I did not say that the nature of Jesus did not die. I said that at Calvary the divine nature did not die, also if He had sinned and in consequence gone out of existence, His divine nature would have remained. Ok so a few words of explanation are needed.

“Jesus person” was the incarnate pre-existent divine Son of God. He was the same “person” as He was in His pre-existence but whereas in His pre-existence He had one nature (divinity) because of the incarnation He was the same person but was now a man of two natures (divinity and humanity). The incarnation did not change who He was – He was still the same divine Son of God as He had been in His pre-existence.

Christ (the Son of God) and God (the Father) must share the same divine life (divinity) else we must come up with two types of divinity. If in His pre-existence Christ was God then His nature must have been divine. If in His pre-existence His nature was divine He must have been God. At least that it is the way that I see it. Perhaps I am wrong.

We must be careful not to confuse nature with person. Divinity (a nature) cannot die. A divine person can die. At Calvary, it was the person of the Son of God that died in His humanity. It was human nature that died at Calvary not divine nature. Divine nature cannot die.

If Christ had sinned, then as a person He would have lost His existence. Not though His divine nature. That is the life of God.

Unnecessary to say is that the incarnation is beyond our understanding. We can barely scratch the surface of its mystery.

Hope some of this helps.

Terry

Re: Did Christ have power? [Re: TerryH] #92109
10/08/07 04:51 PM
10/08/07 04:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TerryH: If Christ had sinned, then as a person He would have lost His existence. Not though His divine nature. That is the life of God.

MM: Nature is life? If Jesus had sinned and died what would have happened to His nature? Can nature exist independently?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!