HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? #34306
04/29/05 11:57 AM
04/29/05 11:57 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Before I post further on this thread, I would like to make a public appology to the moderator (Debbie) and to anyone else here that I may have offended with my innappropriate postings. I have been counciled by Daryl and understand that I need to be very careful with my word choices and style of writting.
Thank you
Daniel

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? #34307
04/29/05 12:50 PM
04/29/05 12:50 PM
Jan  Offline
Ohio
I don't think "insanity" in our churches is really the issue. I think we have too long been criticizing each other and judging each others' motives. It isn't easy to come to the point where we can say, I don't agree with that person's position, but I have no right to label them (e.g, legalist, liberal etc.), but if we can't come to that point, we become what we accuse others of. There is a tendency to type cast everyone who doesn't agree with our position as carping, unloving, self-righteous, etc., and many times that isn't the case. A number of people are very uncomfortable with applause and hand raising in church, and most of them say nothing, but just give it over to the Lord. But there is a tendency with some to look at people who don't take part in the applause and handraising and judge them as hard liner legalists. If we are comfortable with doing something in church and others aren't, we need to be as Christian in our tolerance as we want them to be with us. It cuts both ways.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? #34308
04/30/05 03:18 AM
04/30/05 03:18 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Jan

You are right. It would be foolish to divide a church over the position of hands in worship or prayer.

/Thomas

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? #34309
04/29/05 04:03 PM
04/29/05 04:03 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
It would seem that more than right or wrong ways to worship there are many different ways to worship. That being said there are places where, with but a little travel, a person can praise the Creator with others who worship in the same style. And for those who cannot we need to learn to be tolerant of those whose style is different than is ours as long as that style does not go against a very clear thus sayith the Lord.

Redfog

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? #34310
10/01/06 02:40 AM
10/01/06 02:40 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
it is a chore to get the members to raise their hands even when asked a question, let alone have them raisng their hands in worship!

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: vastergotland] #95143
02/02/08 06:16 AM
02/02/08 06:16 AM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
I just read this whole thread from 2005 and found myself shaking my head at good folks who appear to be absolutely convinced that what the Bible clearly endorses is from the devil.

If we truly believe the Bible to be the Word of God, I hope we will use it as our rule of faith and worship practices, no matter how others may subvert biblical practices.

If we cannot practice what the devil has subverted to his own purposes, we cannot keep Sabbath. After all, there is the Black Sabbath, witches' Sabbath, etc.

Along with the insanity Barry describes, I consider it insanity to give up biblical practices because the devil has used them in his games. (Hey, folks, do you eat fruit?? Don't you know that the devil used a fruit to cause the mother of humanity to fall into sin? Should we consider fruit to be evil?)

Just for review, here are some of the positive biblical references of lifting hands in prayer and worship:

Originally Posted By: västergötland
These here are the verses on prayer and lifted hands I found in the bible. If anyone knows another one, do post it.

1 Timothy 2:7-9
7And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle–I am telling the truth, I am not lying–and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.
8I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

Lamentations 3:40-42
40 Let us examine our ways and test them,
and let us return to the LORD .
41 Let us lift up our hearts and our hands
to God in heaven, and say:
42 "We have sinned and rebelled
and you have not forgiven.

Psalm 141
1 O LORD , I call to you; come quickly to me.
Hear my voice when I call to you.
2 May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.
3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD ;
keep watch over the door of my lips.

Psalm 134
1 Praise the LORD , all you servants of the LORD
who minister by night in the house of the LORD.
2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary
and praise the LORD .
3 May the LORD , the Maker of heaven and earth,
bless you from Zion.

Psalm 119
47 for I delight in your commands
because I love them.
48 I lift up my hands to [a] your commands, which I love,
and I meditate on your decrees.
z Zayin
49 Remember your word to your servant,
for you have given me hope.

Psalm 118
15 Shouts of joy and victory
resound in the tents of the righteous:
"The LORD's right hand has done mighty things!
16 The LORD's right hand is lifted high;
the LORD's right hand has done mighty things!"
17 I will not die but live,
and will proclaim what the LORD has done.

Psalm 63
3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

Psalm 28
1 To you I call, O LORD my Rock;
do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent,
I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.
2 Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.

Nehemiah 8
5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the LORD , the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Chris Williams] #95144
02/02/08 06:20 AM
02/02/08 06:20 AM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
And, for those who believe Ellen White's counsel supersedes the Bible, here's a review of a short quote from her pen:

Originally Posted By: Chris Williams
Apparently Mrs White had no problem with raising hands in prayer </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> How can you who repeat the Lord's prayer, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven," sit at ease in your homes without helping to carry the torch of truth to others? How can you lift up your hands before God and ask His blessing upon yourselves and your families, when you are doing so little to help others?--Historical Sketches, p. 288. {ChS 90.3} </font><hr /></blockquote

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: D R] #95145
02/02/08 06:22 AM
02/02/08 06:22 AM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
 Originally Posted By: BeachBubbaDan (BBD)
it is a chore to get the members to raise their hands even when asked a question, let alone have them raisng their hands in worship!

Yup!

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Inga] #95172
02/03/08 02:47 AM
02/03/08 02:47 AM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Well Inga, thanks for bringing this one back, sorry I had missed out on the great back and forth that went on before my time.

WOW, it's almost all I can say, WOW!

There are SO many things here that I want to comment on, but have a limited time, so I'll just hit a few for now, and come back for more later. And by the way, I love this site.

The lifting of hands, hmmmmmm.............It's a physical movement, started in the brain, a signal traveling down the electical "circuit" of the nervous system, triggering the muscles to contract, and thus the arms raise. Seems pretty innocent on the surface, surely even Jesus raised His hands at some point. But then, I think it's about something more than that.

I almost want to say, are you serious? Is this even a real discussion, but after reading 6 whole pages, I can tell you guys are serious abou this one. For me, I can't possibly see how "raising your hands" or feet for that matter can even possibly matter. Who cares if you are so moved that you raise your hands? What if you only raise one hand? What if I'm only scratching my head, and someone iterepets it as "raising of the hands"?

No really, that's how silly this is. How can you place rules on something like this? Someone said in their church it's ok if it's below ear line. Really, is that serious? What if I'm so moved that I want to put my hands down? Or out to the side? Or, what if I want to raise my eyes to heaven when so moved, is that ok? If you want to sit and be stone still, we certainly don't chastise you for that. Why would you think the devil is in someone because they get excited about our Lord and Saviour?

I'm not sure that I've ever even noticed it or not, even after going to church for 30+ years, having attended many churches across the USA. Clearly some here think "raising of the hands" is akin to worshipping the devil, or slaying little animals. I assure you, it is no such thing. It is only what YOU make of it. If it's offensive to you, then by all means, DON'T do it. But what right do you have to tell me how to worship?

I'm pretty sure God is the only one who can tell if I'm doing it right or wrong. You may not like the way I worship, or the clothes I wear, or how I style my hair, and that's OK. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the way you dress, but I don't go around telling you it's wrong. And even if it was, wouldn't I be better off showing you a different way to dress, rather then to put someone down, for doing something they feel is right? Do you get my point?

It's not our job to judge others, and least of all on HOW they praise the Lord. We will ALL be judged, give it time, you'll see. How about we look more internally, see what's going on with our own way of worshipping? Are we doing the right things in our own lives? What about that board in your own eye, should you remove it before worrying about the splinter in mine?

It's great to see what other's are doing, to "pull our noses out of the bible" and see the rest of the world. It gives us a chance to save a life, one other than our own. Let's not be so selfish and petty, to put down others for even worshipping at all! You'd be better off looking down on people who aren't even christians, rather than berate your brothers in Christ.

Well, that seems like a lot said, and hopefully not too much. I'm so happy to have a place where we can talk openly about the things that "move" us. And yeah, I think it's ok to worship differently than others. We are all entitled to love God, we all have the right to be saved. And if that means you need to raise your hands, I say, RAISE THEM HIGH! Let the light from within shine outward, so that other's may be brought into our folds.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: fun2believe] #95174
02/03/08 05:47 AM
02/03/08 05:47 AM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
Hi fun2believe,

Thanks for the reply.I like your spirit. \:\)

I also find myself in total agreement with all you've written above. \:\)

Inga

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!