HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Inga] #95351
02/06/08 10:29 PM
02/06/08 10:29 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Inga
 Originally Posted By: Richard
The lifting of hands is from the charismatic movement which some people have picked up, and IMHO just like the chanting, jumping or rolling on the floor can be a distraction or diversion from true worship...

I trust that you recognize you are expressing your own feelings, which have the same validity as those of folks who feel differently.

Who judges what is "true worship"? Is that not the work of the Judge of all the earth?

It seems to me that we should be very hesitant to condemn that which the Bible recommends -- the lifting of hands in prayer and worship.

Is it not far more important to teach the true work of the Holy Spirit, as expressed by Christ, than to worry about some of our members worshiping in a way that is reminiscent of those who do not understand the work of the Holy Spirit correctly?

If the Spirit brings me to raise my hands, then like Peter I would say 'Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head...'. But when the Holy Spirit truly comes upon a congregation or group, the raising of hands has not been a necessity or a primary requirement to say the least. If it had been first or foremost like prayer and fasting, then it would have been given clearly for us in scripture, and we would have seen it in the church from Pentecost. But yes, I dont worry too much about it as most things if they are not from God seem to fade with time.

Last edited by Richard; 02/06/08 10:41 PM.
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Rick H] #95363
02/07/08 03:21 AM
02/07/08 03:21 AM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada

If the Spirit brings me to raise my hands, then like Peter I would say 'Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head...'.
I'm trying to picture that, Richard, and I come up with levitation. Now that would make me wonder, seeing what that is usually associated with.;)
 Quote:
But when the Holy Spirit truly comes upon a congregation or group, the raising of hands has not been a necessity or a primary requirement to say the least. If it had been first or foremost like prayer and fasting, then it would have been given clearly for us in scripture, and we would have seen it in the church from Pentecost. But yes, I dont worry too much about it as most things if they are not from God seem to fade with time.

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned raising hands as a "necessity or primary requirement."

However, there is some clear scriptural support for the practice:

1 Timothy 2:8
I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

(That sounds a bit like a command, though I have no intention of pushing it. I confess I'm a bit reticent myself about lifting my hands. )

Lamentations
Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches
pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord:
lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children,
that faint for hunger in the top of every street.

(Again, a positive injunction to "lift up they hands.")

Lamentations 3:40-42
40 Let us examine our ways and test them,
and let us return to the LORD .
41 Let us lift up our hearts and our hands
to God in heaven, and say:
42 "We have sinned and rebelled
and you have not forgiven.

(An invitation to life up hands as well as hearts.)

Psalm 141
1 O LORD , I call to you; come quickly to me.
Hear my voice when I call to you.
2 May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.
3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD ;
keep watch over the door of my lips.

(The Psalmist is clearly lifting up his hands in prayer ...)

Psalm 134
1 Praise the LORD , all you servants of the LORD
who minister by night in the house of the LORD.
2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary
and praise the LORD .
3 May the LORD , the Maker of heaven and earth,
bless you from Zion.

(Another positive injunction.)

Psalm 119
47 for I delight in your commands
because I love them.
48 I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
and I meditate on your decrees.

(Again, the Psalmist leads by example.)

Psalm 63
3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

(Again, the Psalmist says, "I will lift up my hands ...")

Psalm 28
2 Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.

(Another example by the Psalmist.)

Nehemiah 8
5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the LORD , the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

(And this is reported as an example of repentant people lifting their hands to the lord.)

I don't know when we, as Adventists, stopped lifting hands to the Lord, because the practice seems to have been current in Ellen White's time, as she writes, "How can you who repeat the Lord's prayer, 'Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven,' sit at ease in your homes without helping to carry the torch of truth to others? How can you lift up your hands before God and ask His blessing upon yourselves and your families, when you are doing so little to help others?" (from Historical Sketches, p. 287)

Again, I'm not saying that you must lift up your hands because the practice is positively recommended in the Bible and still current in Ellen White's time. But I'm suggesting that you can set your heart at ease about the practice. In the charismatic manifestations, the lifted hands aren't the problem. (It's a biblical practice.) The problem is a wrong understanding of the work of the Holy Spirit.

Satan would love to have us focus on minor outward manifestations and ignore the major issues that actually affect our salvation and/or the salvation of others.

May you be blessed. \:\)

Inga

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Inga] #95369
02/07/08 10:15 AM
02/07/08 10:15 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Inga

If the Spirit brings me to raise my hands, then like Peter I would say 'Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head...'.
I'm trying to picture that, Richard, and I come up with levitation. Now that would make me wonder, seeing what that is usually associated with.;)
 Quote:
But when the Holy Spirit truly comes upon a congregation or group, the raising of hands has not been a necessity or a primary requirement to say the least. If it had been first or foremost like prayer and fasting, then it would have been given clearly for us in scripture, and we would have seen it in the church from Pentecost. But yes, I dont worry too much about it as most things if they are not from God seem to fade with time.

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned raising hands as a "necessity or primary requirement."

However, there is some clear scriptural support for the practice:

1 Timothy 2:8
I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

(That sounds a bit like a command, though I have no intention of pushing it. I confess I'm a bit reticent myself about lifting my hands. )

Lamentations
Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches
pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord:
lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children,
that faint for hunger in the top of every street.

(Again, a positive injunction to "lift up they hands.")

Lamentations 3:40-42
40 Let us examine our ways and test them,
and let us return to the LORD .
41 Let us lift up our hearts and our hands
to God in heaven, and say:
42 "We have sinned and rebelled
and you have not forgiven.

(An invitation to life up hands as well as hearts.)

Psalm 141
1 O LORD , I call to you; come quickly to me.
Hear my voice when I call to you.
2 May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.
3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD ;
keep watch over the door of my lips.

(The Psalmist is clearly lifting up his hands in prayer ...)

Psalm 134
1 Praise the LORD , all you servants of the LORD
who minister by night in the house of the LORD.
2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary
and praise the LORD .
3 May the LORD , the Maker of heaven and earth,
bless you from Zion.

(Another positive injunction.)

Psalm 119
47 for I delight in your commands
because I love them.
48 I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
and I meditate on your decrees.

(Again, the Psalmist leads by example.)

Psalm 63
3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

(Again, the Psalmist says, "I will lift up my hands ...")

Psalm 28
2 Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.

(Another example by the Psalmist.)

Nehemiah 8
5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the LORD , the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

(And this is reported as an example of repentant people lifting their hands to the lord.)

I don't know when we, as Adventists, stopped lifting hands to the Lord, because the practice seems to have been current in Ellen White's time, as she writes, "How can you who repeat the Lord's prayer, 'Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven,' sit at ease in your homes without helping to carry the torch of truth to others? How can you lift up your hands before God and ask His blessing upon yourselves and your families, when you are doing so little to help others?" (from Historical Sketches, p. 287)

Again, I'm not saying that you must lift up your hands because the practice is positively recommended in the Bible and still current in Ellen White's time. But I'm suggesting that you can set your heart at ease about the practice. In the charismatic manifestations, the lifted hands aren't the problem. (It's a biblical practice.) The problem is a wrong understanding of the work of the Holy Spirit.

Satan would love to have us focus on minor outward manifestations and ignore the major issues that actually affect our salvation and/or the salvation of others.

May you be blessed. \:\)

Inga

You have hit the nail on the head with your words and text my sister, and have presented the issue as it should be....many show the outward manisfestations but their path is not leading them to God or have hardened their hearts and minds against the Holy Spirit and are still under the dominion of sin.

God Bless
Rick

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Rick H] #95382
02/07/08 06:45 PM
02/07/08 06:45 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Here's a fine example of what I've been saying. The question was asked "is lifting of hands in chruch ok?" How does this even matter?

Which is more important, following the rules, or knowing God?

Go on, think this one out, I'll give you a minute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe a little more time for some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well? What do you think? If we know God, then rules don't matter. We will do things because we WANT to, not because it's the rule, law, or dogma. God doesn't want us to do anything because we HAVE to, only if we WANT to. That was the FIRST choice, and it's still the ONLY one that matters. IF we know God, then we will KNOW what is right, for us personally. Help others see God, not the rules of the church. I promise you, there aren't enought masochist's to go around (here's the definition of masochist from dictionary.com incase you don't know what it means)
MASOCHIST:
"""gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification"""

There are a few people out there that like this type of life, but most feel that's NOT a healthy way to live. But it's what's driving the people in this chruch more than anything else. And I say if you dont' believe me, step back, take an OBJECTIVE look for yourself. Yes, that means you'll have to do some work, use your mind, the ability to seek out information and asses it's meaning, but I think you'll agree.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: fun2believe] #95402
02/07/08 10:41 PM
02/07/08 10:41 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: fun2believe

There are a few people out there that like this type of life, but most feel that's NOT a healthy way to live. But it's what's driving the people in this chruch more than anything else. And I say if you dont' believe me, step back, take an OBJECTIVE look for yourself. Yes, that means you'll have to do some work, use your mind, the ability to seek out information and asses it's meaning, but I think you'll agree.

Some loud and outspoken members of the church perhaps, but if you are arguing that the majority of adventists are masochists, I would wonder if you took your own advice of stepping back and having a long objective look.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: fun2believe] #95420
02/08/08 08:48 AM
02/08/08 08:48 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: fun2believe
[quote=Richard]The lifting of hands is from the charismatic movement which some people have picked up, and IMHO just like the chanting, jumping or rolling on the floor can be a distraction or diversion from true worship...

So can a crying baby, or someone with a bad cough. And if that's all it takes to distract you from the light of God, then maybe you should spend more time getting to know Him, and less time in chruch. If those things distract you and your ability to worship, then yeah, that's a problem, FOR YOU! That's not a problem for someone who is expressing the joy they find in God, it's a problem that YOU have with them.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, because in my opinion, your "feelings" can't be wrong, they are what they are. But, it is wrong (IMHO) to shame/degrade/punish or be prejudice against someone else for thier feelings. Those activites may bring them closer to God, even though it doesn't work for you.

And yes, I am accepting of your feelings, and opinions, they just aren't mine. And thats OK, and good. It's nice to be able to express our feelings in a loving, God worshiping place such as this.

Sorry, but since coming back to God, I really haven't cared to participate in corporate worship in most cases, as I do find that it can be very distracting, almost agitating. That is the "feelings" that I have. I could set aside my "feelings" if I was just being well fed in the "Word", and most likely these distractions would deminish.

I have never been moved to raise my hand other then to ask a question or make a comment. Sorry, I haven't felt the spirit move me to "raise my hands" in church. I will admit that, neither have I felt moved to raise them at rock concerts when I attended them many years ago, though many around me seemed to be so moved.

Sorry, but all this talk of raising the hands puts me in mind of classic "Animal House", you know the toga party, where they "put their hands up, to the 1959 Shout! - originally done by the The Isley Brothers.

Since it is Black History month, we might consider this groups history which is new to me as I just read it on The Isley Brothers at Wikipedia They started out as a gospel quartet. I'll just share this quote from there.

Quote:
During an inspired rendition of Wilson's classic, "Lonely Teardrops", Ronald went into a gospel routine and with his older brothers tagging along yelled out "you know you make me wanna shout!" A scout for RCA Records was at the audience and was so impressed that he helped them get signed to the label where they went into the studio to record what they had created on stage that night. Penned solely by the brothers, the song, "Shout!", became a breakthrough for the trio. Its mixture of gospel call and response vocals, bluesy lyrics and rock angst helped the boys score their first charted hit.
You know I thought there was a little gospel in some of their songs. I know their songs sure seemed to inspire people to put there hands up. \:D especially when copied by such as the Beattles. Hey, could it be that the "shout and put your hands up", came out of "gospel" and moved into rock, not the other way around / the world mimicking the church?

Philippians 2:12

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: crater] #95458
02/08/08 09:30 PM
02/08/08 09:30 PM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
 Originally Posted By: crater
Hey, could it be that the "shout and put your hands up", came out of "gospel" and moved into rock, not the other way around / the world mimicking the church?

Could it be that these folks got it from the Bible which pre-dates both?

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Inga] #95738
02/16/08 05:20 PM
02/16/08 05:20 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
Sorry folks I fail to see this as a major issue.

I understand ( I cannot say this as hard fact, more I heard it somewhere) that in the time of Jesus the Jews would regularly pray with uplifted hands, and if this is the case our Lord would have prayed in the same fashion. If Jesus is our example as we say then I cannot see that uplifted hands is a problem - the opposite infact.

Where I do find a problem with uplifted hands is when people start to lift their hands and wave them about and in so doing lose the reverance for the church of God. The Bible texts that have been quoted all say lift up your hands - not wave at your your God. Uplifted hands should be static and reverent otherwise not at all.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: DebbieB] #95740
02/16/08 09:33 PM
02/16/08 09:33 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
The question then becomes, how do we know when a person has lost his or her reverence? Are we to assume that they have the exact same standards for the reverence as we ourselves do?

Waving your hands in OT terminology is presenting an offering to God. The israelite family who wanted to make an offering of mutton for instance should wave it before the Lord. Thus there is a God-ordained waving, and I assume it would have been regarded as quite reverent to perform it around Jesus time.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: vastergotland] #95763
02/18/08 04:14 PM
02/18/08 04:14 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
Ok, our God does not change so can there really be different standards of reverence? I don't know the answer, but we sure get an idea of what reverence is when we look in Isaiah 6 at angels are praise God.
I do not know all the answers here västergötland, and you make good points about waving being a form of offering. I'll have a look further and come back once I have made more study into the matter.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!