HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 38 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #96871
03/14/08 12:15 AM
03/14/08 12:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes.

But did it offend the people around them? Did it cause them to loathe God?

I mentioned polygamy because you have a theory that the last 6 commandments people know from birth, and can't ignorantly break them, but polygamy is an obvious case where this is not true.

Quote:
And, why didn't the Holy Spirit reveal it to them? Is it because God was willing, for a time, to "wink" at it?

Are there any unknown sinful practices that God is willing, for a time, to "wink" at nowadays?

If there were, and God were winking at them, then we wouldn't know, right? So you're asking a question that's impossible to answer.

Quote:
That is, behaviors which offend people around us, which misrepresent Jesus, which cause people to despise the Gospel?

People get offended at just about anything, even at people who are not doing anything wrong.

Regarding misrepresenting Jesus, if we do not understand God's character, then isn't it inevitable that we will misrepresent Him? At least, whenever we open our mouth and speak about Him?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #96890
03/14/08 03:47 PM
03/14/08 03:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Could it be that some of the things in our list of sins have more to do with adventisms victorian/puritan herritage than with any biblical view of sin? Obviously Abram and his sons had no concept of sinfullness in having several wives.

If truth is progressive, if God reveals truth as mankind can bear it, shouldn't we expect the standard to rise, wouldn't God expect more of us as we draw nearer to the end of probation?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96896
03/14/08 04:45 PM
03/14/08 04:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I mentioned polygamy because you have a theory that the last 6 commandments people know from birth, and can't ignorantly break them, but polygamy is an obvious case where this is not true.

MM: Tom, which one of the last six commandments forbids polygamy? The seventh commandment simply forbids having sexual relations with someone you're not married to. It doesn't specifically forbid having more than one spouse. Sister White cited God's "will" and "order" for marriage by pointing out the fact God gave Adam one wife. She doesn't point out that it violates the seventh commandment.

Quote:
In the beginning, God gave to Adam one wife, thus showing his order. He never designed that man should have a plurality of wives… This was one of the great sins of the inhabitants of the old world, which brought the wrath of God upon them. This custom was practiced after the flood, and became so common that even righteous men fell into the practice, and had a plurality of wives. Yet it was no less sin because they became corrupted, and departed in this thing from God's order. {3SG 99.1}

God has not sanctioned polygamy in a single instance. It was contrary to his will. He knew that the happiness of man would be destroyed by it. {3SG 100.1}

Skeptics have assailed christianity, and ridiculed the Bible, because David gave them occasion. They bring up to Christians the case of David, his sin in the case of Uriah and Bathsheba, his polygamy, and then assert that David is called a man after God's own heart, and if the Bible record is correct, God justified David in his crimes. {4aSG 86.2}

Since polygamy was such a grievous sin and caused so much filial unrest and unhappiness, why didn't God address it, why didn't He specifically forbid it? Why didn't the Holy Spirit reveal it to them? Is it because God was willing, for a time, to "wink" at it?

---

TE: "Are there any unknown sinful practices that God is willing, for a time, to 'wink' at nowadays?" If there were, and God were winking at them, then we wouldn't know, right? So you're asking a question that's impossible to answer.

MM: So, what are you suggesting? Are you saying it is possible that God is "winking" at certain sinful behaviors which offend people around us, which misrepresent Jesus, which cause people to despise the Gospel, that He is willing to allow us to go on in ignorance until He feels the time is right to reveal it to us, until the Holy Spirit can safely reveal it to us without blowing us away or causing us to lose faith?

If so, can you name any such sinful behaviors, which are obvious to people around us, but unknown to ourselves? Please understand I am talking about sinful behaviors that are unknown to us but known to others, sinful behaviors that are unknown to us because the Holy Spirit has not yet been given permission to reveal them to us. Do you know of any sinful behaviors that still fall into this category?

---

TE: People get offended at just about anything, even at people who are not doing anything wrong.

MM: True. But I'm not sure how this insight is helpful. Why are you pointing this out?

---

TE: Regarding misrepresenting Jesus, if we do not understand God's character, then isn't it inevitable that we will misrepresent Him? At least, whenever we open our mouth and speak about Him?

MM: "It is impossible for finite minds fully to comprehend the character or the works of the Infinite One." (SC 105) It stands to reason, therefore, we cannot, in this lifetime, fully understand God's character or kingdom. Based on what you posted above, that is, if we do not understand God's character we cannot help misrepresenting Him, is offending people inevitable, something we cannot help doing?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96897
03/14/08 04:53 PM
03/14/08 04:53 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Could it be that some of the things in our list of sins have more to do with adventisms victorian/puritan herritage than with any biblical view of sin? Obviously Abram and his sons had no concept of sinfullness in having several wives.

If truth is progressive, if God reveals truth as mankind can bear it, shouldn't we expect the standard to rise, wouldn't God expect more of us as we draw nearer to the end of probation?
On the level of semantics, id say that Truth is, but our understanding of it is progressive. Other than that I do agree with what you say above. However, I retain the reservation that not everything that is pushed as truth acctually is truth.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #96901
03/14/08 05:33 PM
03/14/08 05:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, do you have any examples in mind, things the SDA church "push" which is not "actually" truth? Such a thing, as you know, is strictly forbidden by God on pain of plagues and death in the lake of fire.

Deuteronomy
4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Revelation
22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96921
03/14/08 07:30 PM
03/14/08 07:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
No specific examples right now, no.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #96926
03/14/08 07:55 PM
03/14/08 07:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You're not a politician-in-training (pit) are you?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96937
03/14/08 08:45 PM
03/14/08 08:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: I mentioned polygamy because you have a theory that the last 6 commandments people know from birth, and can't ignorantly break them, but polygamy is an obvious case where this is not true.

MM: Tom, which one of the last six commandments forbids polygamy?

The one about honoring your mother and father.

Quote:
The seventh commandment simply forbids having sexual relations with someone you're not married to.

Oh, you knew which one it was! You're right, it's this one.

Quote:
It doesn't specifically forbid having more than one spouse. Sister White cited God's "will" and "order" for marriage by pointing out the fact God gave Adam one wife. She doesn't point out that it violates the seventh commandment.

Even just looking at someone with an impure thought breaks the commandment, regardless of whether you are married or not.

Quote:
TE: "Are there any unknown sinful practices that God is willing, for a time, to 'wink' at nowadays?" If there were, and God were winking at them, then we wouldn't know, right? So you're asking a question that's impossible to answer.

MM: So, what are you suggesting? Are you saying it is possible that God is "winking" at certain sinful behaviors which offend people around us, which misrepresent Jesus, which cause people to despise the Gospel, that He is willing to allow us to go on in ignorance until He feels the time is right to reveal it to us, until the Holy Spirit can safely reveal it to us without blowing us away or causing us to lose faith?

If so, can you name any such sinful behaviors, which are obvious to people around us, but unknown to ourselves? Please understand I am talking about sinful behaviors that are unknown to us but known to others, sinful behaviors that are unknown to us because the Holy Spirit has not yet been given permission to reveal them to us. Do you know of any sinful behaviors that still fall into this category?

Well, since I just pointed out that if there were any sins that God was winking at, that we wouldn't know what they were, I could hardly point them out, could I?

Quote:
TE: People get offended at just about anything, even at people who are not doing anything wrong.

MM: True. But I'm not sure how this insight is helpful. Why are you pointing this out?

Because you asked if God would permit people to do things which would offend others.

Quote:
TE: Regarding misrepresenting Jesus, if we do not understand God's character, then isn't it inevitable that we will misrepresent Him? At least, whenever we open our mouth and speak about Him?

MM: "It is impossible for finite minds fully to comprehend the character or the works of the Infinite One." (SC 105) It stands to reason, therefore, we cannot, in this lifetime, fully understand God's character or kingdom. Based on what you posted above, that is, if we do not understand God's character we cannot help misrepresenting Him, is offending people inevitable, something we cannot help doing?

Here's the question again. People get offended at anything, so no, it's not possible that we can prevent offending people.

Regarding knowing the character of God, what I'm thinking of specifically is not knowing something about God's character, but "knowing" the reverse of what's true regarding God's character.

Her quote is addressing things we don't know. Of course, we cannot speak of that which we don't know. I wasn't addressing this, but rather saying things about God which aren't true.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #96943
03/14/08 09:51 PM
03/14/08 09:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Sister White cited God's "will" and "order" for marriage by pointing out the fact God gave Adam one wife. She doesn't point out that it violates the seventh commandment.

TE: Even just looking at someone with an impure thought breaks the commandment, regardless of whether you are married or not.

Do such impure looks constitute polygamy? Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say polygamy violates the seventh commandment?

Quote:

TE: Well, since I just pointed out that if there were any sins that God was winking at, that we wouldn't know what they were, I could hardly point them out, could I?

I’m not asking if you could point them out in yourself. Instead, I’m asking you to name any sinful behaviors that still fall into this category today. Are you suggesting polygamy is an example of a sinful behavior God still “winks” at today?

Keep in mind, my friend, I’m not talking about people who have never studied with a Bible worker. I’m referring specifically to people who have been properly prepared for baptism, who have experienced the miracle of rebirth, who are SDA members in good and regular standing, who are abiding in Jesus, who are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

Quote:

TE: Because you asked if God would permit people to do things which would offend others.

Are you saying God permits people to do things that are not wrong, things which also happen to offend people, which cause them to despise the Gospel? Do you mean something like God permitting a born again believer to obey the law? If so, it doesn’t make sense to me, because God commands us to obey the law. He doesn’t permit us to obey the law.

Quote:
TE: Regarding knowing the character of God, what I'm thinking of specifically is not knowing something about God's character, but "knowing" the reverse of what's true regarding God's character.

Her quote is addressing things we don't know. Of course, we cannot speak of that which we don't know. I wasn't addressing this, but rather saying things about God which aren't true.

So, there are at least two ways the people described above can misrepresent God’s character and kingdom:1) By believing something untrue about God, and 2) By not knowing everything they can know or need to know about God? And, these things cause people to despise the Gospel. Here’s my question – Why is the Holy Spirit waiting to reveal it to them? Is the truth about God so overwhelming it would cause them to apostatize?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96944
03/14/08 09:57 PM
03/14/08 09:57 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
You're not a politician-in-training (pit) are you?
Why? Do you think I would make a good politician? ;\)

Galatians 2

Page 9 of 38 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!