HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 55 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98398
04/19/08 08:58 PM
04/19/08 08:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I believe everything you wrote here is true, except the last sentence. The impatient guy I'm speaking of is unaware of some impatient behavior he has. Born again does not mean infallible or perfect. One still has things to learn.

MM: You're right, Tom, born again believers have plenty of room to grow and mature. But the growth they experience does not include outgrowing impatient behaviors that make people around them question the validity of Christianity.

This is not a straw man, Tom, it should be something we can readily agree on. Something you haven't done yet is provide an example of sinful behaviors born again believers are unaware of until the Holy Spirit reveals it to them. Your theory is without foundation without tangible proof.

Please give me an example of sinful behaviors that people who are abiding in Jesus can manifest without realizing they are sinning. Thank you. Also, please resist the temptation to ignore my plea and repeat your assertion that we need to focus on God's character and not on human behavior.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98419
04/20/08 02:53 AM
04/20/08 02:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I've given you a number of examples, MM. I gave you the example of someone who says "gee" or "darn" not recognizing that this is a sin. I've pointed out that a person might not recognize an impatient behavior as such, but in his mind view it as something else (of course, this isn't limited to impatience; many sinful behaviors may not be recognized by the one guilty of them as such; impatience can be mistaken for righteous indignation, for example). I've also spoken of those who may have been abused, so that certain memories are very painful, and healing will take some time. There are people who live together without realizing that is sin, or that have multiple wives.

Another example I've given to you is that of spiritual pride. Before one becomes a Christian and starts going to church, this isn't even an issue that one may have even ever encountered.

Of course, the Sabbath is another example.

Also, viewing God's character incorrectly is a type of idolatry.

Quote:
It is as easy to make an idol of false doctrines and theories as to fashion an idol of wood or stone. By misrepresenting the attributes of God, Satan leads men to conceive of Him in a false character. With many, a philosophical idol is enthroned in the place of Jehovah; while the living God, as He is revealed in His word, in Christ, and in the works of creation, is worshiped by but few.(GC 583)

This last one seems to me to be by far the most difficult one for one to perceive in oneself.

I think if you consider the problem that man has as one of being healed from the damage which sin has done as opposed to a list of different categories of sinful behaviors, that would help. Our healing begins when we are born again. It's not completed in a moment.

Quote:
Also, please resist the temptation to ignore my plea and repeat your assertion that we need to focus on God's character and not on human behavior.

If I say that I believe what is important is in understanding of God's character, and that this is what the Great Controversy is all about, and that this is what we should be talking about, I'm not understanding why you feel that we should only talk about what you want to talk about, but not talk about what I think is important.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98423
04/20/08 03:08 AM
04/20/08 03:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's something I came across:

Quote:
The promise of God is that if we do the one thing—confess our sins—He
will do the two things, forgive and cleanse. This means that, until the
confession is made, He can do neither, but when it is made, He will do
both. If then we have not been cleansed, we know that we have not been
forgiven either. Therefore, the confession has not been acceptable to
God.

The principles of acceptable confession have an application both in the
work of revival and of reformation.

1. The first step in the process is the revealing to us of the unknown
sin. This is the work of the Holy Spirit Who reveals to us in due time
that the real problem, the really unknown sin: it is what we are, and
not what we do. It is essential that this be seen and understood.

2. Next we are to know without a shadow of doubt or uncertainty that the
full and complete provision for the forgiving and the cleansing away of
the very sinfulness itself is available to us in the service of the
sanctuary. We must have the faith to believe that the Lord will take
away the actual evil spirit within us, and give us a new spirit
altogether.

3. Then we must come as did the Israelites of old to the sanctuary.
There we must confess not only what we have done but also what we are.
Not only do we confess it, but we actually hand it over for the Lord to
take, and literally believe that He as literally takes it.

4. We must give that sin up with the most complete willingness. If we
hang on to it with the least hold, then the Lord cannot and will not
take it from us. If we find an unwillingness to surrender it, then ask
the Lord to give you a willing heart—to make you to hate that sin.

5. Having given away the old life and spirit of sin, we must then ask
for and receive into the vacuum a new life in the place of the old,
thanking God as you do this, not that you will receive the gift, but
that you have received it.

6. Go your way knowing that you are no longer the person insofar as that
thing is concerned that you were when you came to make that confession.
The old has passed away and the new is truly there in its place.

7. Have a settled purpose in your mind that you are finished with that
sin, so that when the devil meets you by the way with his temptations,
you can and will refuse to even entertain any thought of yielding to the
sin.

8. Keep the new life robust and fit by constantly feeding on the Word
and watching unto prayer.

9. Finally, if the devil does cause you to fall under his deceptive
power, do not be discouraged. Go at once to be forgiven and cleansed and
continue the onward march to heaven.

Remember that all sin must go beforehand to judgment, and thus be in the
sanctuary and not in us when the final investigation is made.(Anonymous)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98476
04/21/08 04:05 PM
04/21/08 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I have one concern with your anonymous quote - It never mentions Jesus. I also disagree with the notion that unknown sin is what we are, not what we do. "... unknown sin: it is what we are, and not what we do."

---

"Remember that all sin must go beforehand to judgment, and thus be in the sanctuary and not in us when the final investigation is made."

Amen! Although I would qualify by saying "all known sin" must be confessed and crucified before we meet them again in judgment. In the case of the 144,000 all sins will be known sins, there is no such thing as an unknown sin in the case of the 144,000.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98478
04/21/08 04:22 PM
04/21/08 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
1. I gave you the example of someone who says "gee" or "darn" not recognizing that this is a sin.

2. I've pointed out that a person might not recognize an impatient behavior as such, but in his mind view it as something else

3. (of course, this isn't limited to impatience; many sinful behaviors may not be recognized by the one guilty of them as such; impatience can be mistaken for righteous indignation, for example).

4. I've also spoken of those who may have been abused, so that certain memories are very painful, and healing will take some time.

5. There are people who live together without realizing that is sin, or that have multiple wives.

6. Another example I've given to you is that of spiritual pride. Before one becomes a Christian and starts going to church, this isn't even an issue that one may have even ever encountered.

7. Of course, the Sabbath is another example.

8. Also, viewing God's character incorrectly is a type of idolatry.

Tom, thank you for providing examples. I agree there are people who were baptized before they learned how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded. In such cases, yes, they might be ignorant of some of the things you listed above.

But I thought we were talking specifically about people who learned from a qualified SDA teacher or pastor how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded. In such cases, no, they would not be ignorant of everything you named above.

Rergarding #2. Does the Holy Spirit wait to reveal whatever sinful impatient behavior you have in mind until they are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify it? Also, are you talking about a sinful impatient behavior that offends people around them, that causes them to despise the gospel, that causes them to conclude Christianity is a joke? If not, then please specify the sinful impatient behavior you have in mind. Thank you.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98483
04/21/08 09:35 PM
04/21/08 09:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But I thought we were talking specifically about people who learned from a qualified SDA teacher or pastor how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded.

I wasn't. However, even here, as soon as one is presented Christ by the Holy Spirit, and accepts Him as one's personal Savior, then one is saved. Say this comes up before the lessons on coffee or jewelry, or whatever. The fact that these things are presented by a well-qualified SDA teacher or pastor doesn't really matter to our discussion, because it will still be the case that there will be sins of ignorance involved, unless the teacher waited to present Christ until after he had presented everything else, correct?

Quote:
Rergarding #2. Does the Holy Spirit wait to reveal whatever sinful impatient behavior you have in mind until they are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify it?

If we are unable to recognize some truth, then it makes sense to me that the Holy Spirit would wait to present it to us until we are able to recognize it.

Quote:
Also, are you talking about a sinful impatient behavior that offends people around them, that causes them to despise the gospel, that causes them to conclude Christianity is a joke?

No.

Quote:
If not, then please specify the sinful impatient behavior you have in mind. Thank you.

I'm thinking of some behavior you manifest towards your wife while in bed alone with her (not you personally). She's talking to you, and you cut her off because you know what she's going to say. You think you're saving time, but she thinks you're being impatient.

What about this?

Quote:
If I say that I believe what is important is in understanding of God's character, and that this is what the Great Controversy is all about, and that this is what we should be talking about, I'm not understanding why you feel that we should only talk about what you want to talk about, but not talk about what I think is important.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98498
04/22/08 04:02 PM
04/22/08 04:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: I'm thinking of some behavior you manifest towards your wife while in bed alone with her (not you personally). She's talking to you, and you cut her off because you know what she's going to say. You think you're saving time, but she thinks you're being impatient.

What about this?

Why did he cut her off? What was his motive? What was the underlying attitude at the time?

Also, assuming the best (i.e. good motives and intentions, etc), is this type of communication considered a sinful behavior the Holy Spirit is waiting to reveal until he is willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify it?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98499
04/22/08 04:11 PM
04/22/08 04:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: But I thought we were talking specifically about people who learned from a qualified SDA teacher or pastor how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded.

TE: I wasn't. However, even here, as soon as one is presented Christ by the Holy Spirit, and accepts Him as one's personal Savior, then one is saved. Say this comes up before the lessons on coffee or jewelry, or whatever. The fact that these things are presented by a well-qualified SDA teacher or pastor doesn't really matter to our discussion, because it will still be the case that there will be sins of ignorance involved, unless the teacher waited to present Christ until after he had presented everything else, correct?

Do mean "saved" as in they experienced the miracle of rebirth? Do people experience rebirth before they crucify self, before they crucify the sins that stand in the way of rebirth and salvation?

PS - I do not list coffee and inappropriate jewelry as sins that stand in the way of rebirth and salvation. A person can experience rebirth before they learn the truth about such things. But they have not completed the process of converting to obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded. There is a difference between experiencing rebirth and completing the process of conversion. Do you agree?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98511
04/22/08 07:40 PM
04/22/08 07:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Why did he cut her off? What was his motive? What was the underlying attitude at the time?

Something he wasn't aware of and wasn't able to recognize at the time.

Quote:
Also, assuming the best (i.e. good motives and intentions, etc), is this type of communication considered a sinful behavior the Holy Spirit is waiting to reveal until he is willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify it?

I'm not understanding why you're asking this.

The "What about this?" was in reference to the following:

Quote:

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98512
04/22/08 07:43 PM
04/22/08 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do mean "saved" as in they experienced the miracle of rebirth?

Yes.

Quote:
Do people experience rebirth before they crucify self, before they crucify the sins that stand in the way of rebirth and salvation?

This is an illogical question, isn't it? You ask if people experience rebirth before they "crucify the sins that stand in the way of rebirth." How could this be answered "yes"? If there is something that stands in the way of rebirth, how could the rebirth happen before the thing which is standing in its way is dealt with?

Page 8 of 55 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!