HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98772
04/27/08 09:42 PM
04/27/08 09:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, if you're going to interpret what she wrote in this way you'll have to provide quotes to prove your point. Where does she say explain what she meant the way you have here? Based on what you've said, the phrase "every spot of defilement [and] deformity and defects of the human character" can mean one sinful habit to the exclusion of dozens of others. Where does she say such a thing? Why didn't she say it in the context of SC?

If I'm understanding your interpretation correctly, that's not the point she's making, and it (your interpretation) does not correspond to reality. People do not become instantly perfect when they are born again.

Quote:
Your interpretation begs the question. So, let's say one ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, does not make every spot of defilement they possess painfully distinct, and does not lay bare every deformity and defect of character they have cultivated.

Let's say it only includes the ones the Holy Spirit chooses to reveal. With this idea in mind, what is an example of a sinful habit the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until one day after they are born again, and what are examples of sinful habits He waits until one week, one month, and one year afterwards to reveal?

If I recall correctly, I think I said I'm taking a break on this question for awhile. Isn't that right?

Quote:
Okay, but my question was about resurrected saints, right? So, again, what kind of cultivated defective traits of character can the Holy Spirit leave unrevealed and uncrucified until after a born again person is resurrected?

I think I addressed this by pointing out that the character is not changed at resurrection.

Quote:
MM: Or, will Jesus change their uncrucified defective traits of character when He resurrects them? For example, does the thief on the cross have uncrucified defective traits of character that need to be changed when Jesus resurrects him?

TE: This looks like another way of asking the questions I was asking.

I believe the answers to the two questions above is, No. What do you believe?

I suppose it depends upon one defines things. Given the thief on the cross died within hours of being converted, he had no time to undergo much in the way of character development. So whatever character defects are revealed when one is converted would apply to him.

I take it your position is that God never reveals any character defects to any converted person ever, because they were already revealed when they were converted? Is this correct? If so, that's not realistic, IMO.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98785
04/28/08 03:31 AM
04/28/08 03:31 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If I'm understanding your interpretation correctly, that's not the point she's making, and it (your interpretation) does not correspond to reality. People do not become instantly perfect when they are born again.

MM: What do they become the instant they are born again? If they have some of the sinful habits they had prior to rebirth, in what way are they different?

---

TE: "So, again, what kind of cultivated defective traits of character can the Holy Spirit leave unrevealed and uncrucified until after a born again person is resurrected?" I think I addressed this by pointing out that the character is not changed at resurrection.

MM: Do you think they will have time to confess and crucify unrevealed and uncrucified defective traits of character in heaven? For example, the sinful habits the thief didn't have time to discover and crucify, will he correct them in heaven?

---

TE: I take it your position is that God never reveals any character defects to any converted person ever, because they were already revealed when they were converted? Is this correct? If so, that's not realistic, IMO.

MM: God does not wait until after someone is born again to reveal to them a cultivated defective trait of character. He does, however, reveal to them uncultivated, dormant traits in order to prepare them for a new line of work. But these are traits they never knew existed, traits they have not turned into character by sinning repetitiously.

Regarding reality as it relates to the experience of most professing believers? Here's what she wrote about it. Do you think things have gotten better since she gave us these facts and figures?

Much of the faith which we see is merely nominal; the real, trusting, persevering faith is rare. {CC 85.3}

Such patient, prayerful, and persevering fidelity as was possessed by these saints of God [Caleb, Hannah, and Dorcas] is rare; yet the church cannot prosper without it. {CSW 159.1}

Genuine faith, sustained by works, is rare. {CS 152.3}

With many, religious faith and principles are mingled with worldly customs and practices, and pure and undefiled religion is rare. {CT 478.1}

Religious faith and principles have become deteriorated, mingled with worldly customs and practices, and for this reason pure and undefiled religion is rare. {MM 38.4}

A character unsullied before God is rare. {4T 622.2}

The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ. {6BC 1075.7}

It is a solemn statement that I make to the church, that not one in twenty whose names are registered upon the church books are prepared to close their earthly history, and would be as verily without God and without hope in the world as the common sinner. {ChS 41.1}

Not one in a hundred among us is doing anything beyond engaging in common, worldly enterprises. We are not half awake to the worth of the souls for whom Christ died. {ChS 81.5}

I saw that there is not one in twenty of the youth who knows what experimental religion is. {MYP 383.3}

There is not one in twenty who knows the beauty, the real essence, of Christ's ministry. {1MCP 185.3}

There is not one in one hundred who understands for himself the Bible truth on this subject (the plan of salvation) that is so necessary to our present and eternal welfare. {1SM 359.2}

Not one in twenty of those who have a good standing with Seventh-day Adventists is living out the self-sacrificing principles of the word of God. {1T 632.2}

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98815
04/28/08 09:15 PM
04/28/08 09:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: If I'm understanding your interpretation correctly, that's not the point she's making, and it (your interpretation) does not correspond to reality. People do not become instantly perfect when they are born again.

MM: What do they become the instant they are born again?

Forgiven.

Quote:
If they have some of the sinful habits they had prior to rebirth, in what way are they different?

Before they were at war with God, now they are at peace with Him. Before they lived for self; now they live for God. Before they were not at harmony with God, nor with the principles of His kingdom; now they are.

The publican is a good example. He smote his breast, asked for mercy, and went away justified.

Quote:
TE: "So, again, what kind of cultivated defective traits of character can the Holy Spirit leave unrevealed and uncrucified until after a born again person is resurrected?" I think I addressed this by pointing out that the character is not changed at resurrection.

MM: Do you think they will have time to confess and crucify unrevealed and uncrucified defective traits of character in heaven? For example, the sinful habits the thief didn't have time to discover and crucify, will he correct them in heaven?

It seems pretty clear that the thief on the cross had no character defects that would keep him from entering heaven.

Quote:
TE: I take it your position is that God never reveals any character defects to any converted person ever, because they were already revealed when they were converted? Is this correct? If so, that's not realistic, IMO.

MM: God does not wait until after someone is born again to reveal to them a cultivated defective trait of character. He does, however, reveal to them uncultivated, dormant traits in order to prepare them for a new line of work. But these are traits they never knew existed, traits they have not turned into character by sinning repetitiously.

So it sounds like you are agreeing with my characterization of your position. If so, I don't agree that one instantly becomes cured of all of ones defects. I don't believe such a thing is possible. It takes time for us to comprehend our defects. Our brains are not such that we grasp these things in a moment.

Regarding your "rare" quotes, I agree that these things are rare, and I believe the reason is because of an unfamiliarity with the Gospel. Had the message God gave us through Jones and Waggoner been accepted, long ago the world (and the church, of course) would have been prepared for the coming of Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98816
04/28/08 09:30 PM
04/28/08 09:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

It seems pretty clear that the thief on the cross had no character defects that would keep him from entering heaven.
You are joking, right? Exactly how is it clear that a criminal deserving the capital punishment had no character defects?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: vastergotland] #98818
04/28/08 10:19 PM
04/28/08 10:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I didn't say that. I said "no character defects that would keep him from entering heaven."

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98820
04/29/08 05:43 AM
04/29/08 05:43 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
And what kind of character defects would that be? That lead you to criminal activity but wouldn't keep you out of heaven? Or better yet, what kind of character defect would keep you out of heaven?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: vastergotland] #98832
04/29/08 04:09 PM
04/29/08 04:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rebellion against God is a character defect that would keep you out of heaven. Living for self is another.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: vastergotland] #98838
04/29/08 05:12 PM
04/29/08 05:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, there are plenty of examples of cultivated defective traits of character that would keep someone out of heaven. Paul lists lots of them in Galatians 5.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The thing I'm still trying to learn from Tom is which ones will not keep people out of heaven, sinful habits they can take to the grave and work on in heaven after the resurrection. So far it is not clear to me what he thinks about it. Hopefully he'll get around to addressing the concern before too long.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98842
04/29/08 05:55 PM
04/29/08 05:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

MM: What do they become the instant they are born again?

TE: Forgiven.

Tom, you wrote, "People do not become instantly perfect when they are born again." But they are instantly forgiven, right? In the eyes of God, aren't they also perfect at that same instant?

Quote:
MM: If they have some of the sinful habits they had prior to rebirth, in what way are they different?

TE: Before they were at war with God, now they are at peace with Him. Before they lived for self; now they live for God. Before they were not at harmony with God, nor with the principles of His kingdom; now they are. The publican is a good example. He smote his breast, asked for mercy, and went away justified.

I agree, but perhaps you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about people who are born again with some of their former sinful habits still in tact. Are these people living in harmony with God and the principles of His kingdom? If so, which principles?

Quote:

TE: It seems pretty clear that the thief on the cross had no character defects that would keep him from entering heaven.

I agree. But, are you leaving room for cultivated sinful habits he didn't confess and crucify? If so, will he have time to confess and crucify them in heaven? Also, please name an example of a cultivated sinful habit that will not keep someone out of heaven.

Quote:

TE: So it sounds like you are agreeing with my characterization of your position. If so, I don't agree that one instantly becomes cured of all of ones defects. I don't believe such a thing is possible. It takes time for us to comprehend our defects. Our brains are not such that we grasp these things in a moment.

That's not what I believe either. Let me explain. It is during the long "patient, protracted process" of conversion that the Holy Spirit lovingly reveals all of our defective traits of character in light of the cross. "... it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process." (DA 172) Do you see the difference?

Also, please understand that they must labor, agonize, wrestle, and strive (the l.a.w.s of fighting the good fight of faith) to abide in Jesus, to keep their former defects and imperfections from resurfacing. Although dead and buried, our old man habits of sin are never far from the surface, never more than a heartbeat away from enslaving us again. We must abide in Jesus or perish with our sins.

Quote:
TE: Regarding your "rare" quotes, I agree that these things are rare, and I believe the reason is because of an unfamiliarity with the Gospel. Had the message God gave us through Jones and Waggoner been accepted, long ago the world (and the church, of course) would have been prepared for the coming of Christ.

I agree, but it didn't happen. Why? Is it because people are still resisting the message? Is it because people do not believe we are born again dead to sin and awake to righteousness? Is it because people believe we are born again with some of our sinful habits still in tact? Is it because these same people blame it on the Holy Spirit?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98853
04/29/08 09:00 PM
04/29/08 09:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, you wrote, "People do not become instantly perfect when they are born again." But they are instantly forgiven, right? In the eyes of God, aren't they also perfect at that same instant?

No, not in the sense of "perfect" in the context of my statement and our discussion. E.g., they are not instantly made aware of all sins/sinful habits/character defects the moment they are born again.

Quote:
I agree, but perhaps you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about people who are born again with some of their former sinful habits still in tact. Are these people living in harmony with God and the principles of His kingdom? If so, which principles?

The following comes into play in this situation:

Quote:
If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject. (Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b (1864), page 3)

Quote:
I agree. But, are you leaving room for cultivated sinful habits he didn't confess and crucify? If so, will he have time to confess and crucify them in heaven?

Since he had not cultivated sinful habits that would keep him out of heaven, it is not necessary to give him time to do so.

What keeps people out of heaven is being out of harmony with God. When one decided to repent, God reveals to the person that which he needs to know in order to be made right with Him. No inspired statement says that God has to reveal everything evil about ourselves before this can happen. It seems to me that one must vastly underestimate our wickedness to even consider this a possibility.

Quote:
Also, please name an example of a cultivated sinful habit that will not keep someone out of heaven.

Polygamy.

Page 3 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!