HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,675
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, daylily, TheophilusOne), 2,448 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47145
11/14/03 03:10 AM
11/14/03 03:10 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Will suggested this topic, therefore, I will let Will expand on it.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47146
11/14/03 06:59 AM
11/14/03 06:59 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thanks Daryl for creating the thread.

There are a couple of different views on the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, and I think this would be a good opportunity to see what the Bible says about His coming.

1. Will everyone see Jesus coming?
quote:

Matthew 24:27,30
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

2. Will His coming be a secret?
quote:

Revelation 1:7
7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

3. Will He walk around on the earth when He comes?
quote:

1 Thessalonians 4:16,17
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

I pray that this will be a good starting point to study wholeheartedly what the Second Coming of our glorious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be.

God Bless,
Will

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47147
11/14/03 05:53 PM
11/14/03 05:53 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
quote:

1. Will everyone see Jesus coming?

Everyone alive at the time?

quote:

2. Will His coming be a secret?

“36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. 42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.” Matt 24

Coming as a thief in the night and one taken and one left implies that people will not see Jesus coming. This also makes it sound like it will not be seen by everyone if one can be taken and the other left. It implies that the other left is not dead due to the brightness of Jesus coming.

quote:

3. Will He walk around on the earth when He comes?

“1 A day of the LORD is coming when your plunder will be divided among you.
2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped. Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city. 3 Then the LORD will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights in the day of battle. 4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5 You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the LORD my God will come, and all the holy ones with him. 6 On that day there will be no light, no cold or frost. 7 It will be a unique day, without daytime or nighttime-a day known to the LORD . When evening comes, there will be light. 8 On that day living water will flow out from Jerusalem, half to the eastern sea and half to the western sea, in summer and in winter.” Zech 14

Note that verse 5 above corresponds to Rev 12:6.

[ November 14, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Lobo ]

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47148
11/15/03 12:04 AM
11/15/03 12:04 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Let us deal with each one separately, beginning with the every eye shall see Him part.

quote:

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Revelation 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Revelation 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

These verses are the very beginning of the whole book of Revelation.

The manner of every eye seeing His second coming is very clear here, even to the point that even those who pierced him will also see Him returning. The unsaved will also see Him coming. Their reaction will not be that of joy as they will be wailing or crying in anguish because of Him. There is definitely nothing secret about His actual appearing to gather the saved, the elect, from all corners of the earth. So, yes, Lobo, in answer to your question, every living person, both the saved and the unsaved will see him. By reference to the even those who pierced Him part, it seems that they will have a special resurrection for the sole purpose of seeing the One whom they pierced or crucified returning in all His glory.

I hope this answers that particular question, Lobo.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47149
11/15/03 02:29 AM
11/15/03 02:29 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Here are other verses that illustrate clearly that the Second COming of Jesus Christ will be no secret.

1. In Matthew 24:26,27 we find Christ telling His disciples about His coming and also emphasizing that it will be no secret:
quote:

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, [he is] in the secret chambers; believe [it] not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

2. Coming as a thief in the night is not about how 'quiet' His soon appearing will be, but the surprise of His coming will catch you off guard as a thief in the night. Jesus says the following:
quote:

Luke 12:39,40
39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

3. His coming will be heard.

quote:

1 Thessalonians 4:16
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

4. His coming will not only be noticed by people but the earth will react as well:

quote:

2 Peter 3:10
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

There is only 1 opportunity to accept the gift of eternal life which is freely given and is found in Jesus Christ, and it is now. There are no second chances.

Jesus tells us the following:
quote:

Revelation 22:11,12
11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward [is] with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

God Bless,
Will

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47150
11/15/03 03:31 AM
11/15/03 03:31 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
[EDIT -- Will, I guess I repeated some of what you just posted here....yours wasn't yet up when I started on writing this. Oh well!]

As far as the Second Coming being "like a thief in the night" is concerned, Peter says this:

"The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." 2 Peter 3:10.

So it's obvious that the phrase "thief in the night" doesn't mean "secret". What it means, is that the Second Coming will take most people by surprise:

"But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up." Matthew 24:43.

"And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through." Luke 12:39.

"For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief." 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4.

The fact that Jesus compared the Second Coming to the days of Noah, and the days of Lot, shows plainly that there will be nothing secret about it, and that all will know exactly what's happening.

"And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all." Luke 17:26,27.

In Noah's time, there was nothing secret about the events surrounding the Flood, and those who were saved saw their salvation occur "the day that Noe entered into the ark". At the same time as the destruction of the wicked.

"Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed." Luke 17:28-30.

Here again, the righteous were saved and the wicked were destroyed on "the same day"; and there was nothing secret about any of it. "Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed." Language doesn't get any plainer.

As for the phrase, "one will be taken and the other left", a reading of the parallel passage in Luke sheds some light on this.

"I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. And they answered and said unto Him, Where, Lord? And He said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together." Luke 17:34-37.

Jesus gives the answer -- there will be dead carcasses, and the eagles will feast upon them. (See Job 39:27-30 for the Biblical take on eagles as carrion-eaters.)

Jeremiah says, "And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground." Jeremiah 25:33.

This is in complete accordance with the parable of the tares and the wheat: "Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn." Matthew 13:30.

It all happens at the same time, on the same day, with no secrecy whatsoever. Jesus said so, plainly and repeatedly. So do all of the other Bible writers when they speak of the Second Coming.

Paul says, "For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first." 1 Thessalonians 4:16. Here's a trumpet blast loud enough to wake the dead, yet some would say that it's secret!

How loud is the "trump of God"?

"And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled." Exodus 19:16.

That's pretty loud. And that was when the Ten Commandments were given; a pretty momentous occasion. However, the Second Coming of Christ will be *THE* most momentous event in the history of this planet -- how anyone could think that it would be a stealthy, secret, sneaky thing is beyond me. To the contrary, it will be the most UN-secret event this earth has ever witnessed.

Joel describes the Second Coming like this: "Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in My holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the Lord cometh, for it is nigh at hand; A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations. A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them." Joel 2:1-3.

Nothing secret there! And Jesus said in His parable that the tares (wicked) are gathered first to be burned...then the wheat (redeemed) is gathered. Those who say the redeemed are gathered ("raptured") first have the order exactly backwards....there's no seven years in between, either.

It's likely that Jesus foresaw that some would teach a "secret" Second Coming theory -- "Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, He is in the desert; go not forth: behold, He is in the secret chambers; believe it not." Matthew 24:26.

Regarding the verses in Zechariah 14 dealing with Christ's feet touching down on the Mount of Olives: that happens at the Third Coming, when New Jerusalem comes down from heaven to earth. Revelation 21:2,10ff.

Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 -- "For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

The Greek word for "so" is "houto", which means literally "in this way, in this fashion". So Paul is saying that the redeemed meet the Lord in the air, and in this fashion shall they ever be with the Lord. Jesus doesn't set foot on earth at the Second Coming. He takes the redeemed back to heaven for the thousand years; as He promised to do in John 14:2,3 -- "In My Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

Good studies on this subject --

http://www.truthleftbehind.com/

http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=519

http://www.sabbathfellowship.org/biblestudy_gane_rapture.htm

http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=617

http://hc.adventist.org/seminar/rapture.htm

http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=515

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47151
11/27/03 06:09 AM
11/27/03 06:09 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.” – Matthew 24:42-44.

I just want to comment on this, for it gave me an idea.

Those who did not keep the watch and were not ready would be taken off guard with Jesus coming; but the verse above may also say: If I know at what time of night the thief would come, I would keep a watch and my house would not be broken.

Therefore, I must keep a watch and be ready for the day the thief come, in order it would not take me with surprise, because if I am not ready and not keep the watch, the thief will come at an hour where I don’t expect him to come.

This gives me an idea that you MIGHT KNOW THE DAY CHRIST COME when you search the Word of God so that you might keep the watch and be ready?

Is there any possibility for those who live by faith and walk after the Spirit to know the day Christ returns to earth?

“But God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, EVEN THE DEEP THINGS OF God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God had freely given to us. ……..…..” 1 Corinthians 2:10-14.

I think when a man live with faith and led by the Spirit, he might know the Day Christ come through searching the Word of God in order he would be ready for that day.

But if the Spirit reveals to him the Day of Christ return, would the world believe him when he reveals this knowledge to the world? Just as at the time of Noah, no one would believe him except those who have the Spirit of God in them, just as only Noah family who has the same Spirit and faith.

Yes, the world would not believe the revelation of the Day of Christ return; to them that is a FOOLISH revelation, just as they thought it is foolish to believe that the Ten Commandments has no longer authority and jurisdiction over Christ’s believers.

In His love

James S.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47152
11/27/03 06:36 AM
11/27/03 06:36 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi James,
You had asked:
quote:

Is there any possibility for those who live by faith and walk after the Spirit to know the day Christ returns to earth?

Do you mean that we would know that by studying scripture and having the Holy Spirit teaching us and guiding us we will be able to discern that:
A. It is Jesus CHrist.
OR
B. It is not Christ

Or did you mean that we would be able to actually know when He is coming?

God Bless,
Will

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47153
11/27/03 12:46 PM
11/27/03 12:46 PM
T
ThankGod A. Mahel  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Nigeria
Hello,
Sweet to confirm that Jesus will come again. This is sure and certain. John14:3 buttresses this fact. Hence all should prepare for his master who has gone to prepare a home for them.REv.14:12 is the reward for all who will try and keep God's laws and commandments.
Peace be to all who will allow God's will be done and be perfected in his life. All should believe and work hard because Christ will surely come again.
Thanks and remain blessed.
Mahel.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ? #47154
11/28/03 04:22 AM
11/28/03 04:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Revelation
3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

This text implies if we do repent and hold fast and watch we will know before hand the day and hour when Jesus is due to arrive. But at what point we will know? before or after probation closes?

GC 640.2
"The voice of God is heard from heaven, declaring the day and hour of Jesus' coming, and delivering the everlasting covenant to His people. Like peals of loudest thunder His words roll through the earth. The Israel of God stand listening, with their eyes fixed upward. Their countenances are lighted up with His glory, and shine as did the face of Moses when he came down from Sinai. The wicked cannot look upon them. And when the blessing is pronounced on those who have honored God by keeping His Sabbath holy, there is a mighty shout of victory."

Matthew
24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, [even] at the doors.

One of the last things Jesus mentioned out of everything He told them was the sign in heaven regarding His arrival, which is the voice of God in heaven like peals of loudest thunder declaring the day and hour of Jesus' arrival.

Matthew
24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

So, at what point we will know the day and hour of Jesus arrival? After probation closes and propbably not more than a few days before He arrives.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!