HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication), 3,117 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
Re: Whose are we? #10221
10/08/03 11:16 AM
10/08/03 11:16 AM
J
Justin  Offline
New York
Steve,

You would do well to highlight the following as well to understand my point in more balanced way:

We believe that Ellen White was inspired by the Holy Spirit and that her writings, the product of that inspiration, are applicable and authoritative, especially to Seventh-day Adventists.

We do not believe that the quality or degree of inspiration in the writings of Ellen White is different from that of Scripture.

We do not believe that the writings of Ellen White are the product of mere Christian piety.

Re: Whose are we? #10222
10/09/03 03:12 AM
10/09/03 03:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Steve and Thomas, please understand me. I totally agree with the SDA position on Sister White. I would appreciate it if you could show me how my last post contradicts the statements Steve posted. Thank you.

To clarify further - I believe our fundamental beliefs are canonical and biblical. I know this with absolute certainty on two accounts, 1) they can be proven from the Bible, and 2) they have been confirmed by God through the spirit of prophecy.

Re: Whose are we? #10223
10/09/03 09:19 PM
10/09/03 09:19 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Steve and Thomas, please understand me. I totally agree with the SDA position on Sister White. I would appreciate it if you could show me how my last post contradicts the statements Steve posted. Thank you.

To clarify further - I believe our fundamental beliefs are canonical and biblical. I know this with absolute certainty on two accounts, 1) they can be proven from the Bible, and 2) they have been confirmed by God through the spirit of prophecy.

Hi Mike,

I wouldnt have written what I wrote last for your #1 comment here, however for these quotes
quote:
You asked, Do we need Sister White in order to correctly interpret and understand the truths revealed in the Bible? My answer is, Yes. But now that we know what is right we can go back show how the Bible confirms it.

AND

Steve, I agree with you that God has used Sister White to help us correctly understand the truth as revealed in the Bible. But I do not believe it is possible to confidently affirm some of our more controversial doctrines without the Holy Spirit's stamp of approval as manifested in the writings of Sister White.

I did.

Perhaps I have been studying to much science but this
quote:
It's always best to start off with the answer and prove it using the evidence rather than the other way round (i.e., start off with the evidence and arrive at the answer).

,well, this isnt really how honest studying is meant to be done...
Then again, your probably the honest one here for confessing that this is how you do it...

As for general feeling on this issue, Id agree with Steve
quote:
I thought we use the bible to interpret EGW and not the other way around. I would submit that we have the writings of EGW and can make use of them, however even if we didn't the Holy Spirit would help us correctly interpret what truths are revealed in the bible.

Thus, what we need is the Holy Spirit which will lead and guide into all truth, and yes he may choose to utilize the writings of EGW to accomplish His goal , however He (the Holy Spirit) is not limited to using EGW to correctly interpret the bible......

As to the question you asked:
You said
quote:
Steve, I agree with you that God has used Sister White to help us correctly understand the truth as revealed in the Bible. But I do not believe it is possible to confidently affirm some of our more controversial doctrines without the Holy Spirit's stamp of approval as manifested in the writings of Sister White.

There are just too many uncertainties concerning the various Bible manuscripts and translations to leave the important work of "rightly dividing the word of truth" to uninspired minds.
The devil is very clever at causing doctrinal divisions over the exact meaning of this or that text. If the truth were plainly known then there wouldn't be catholic and protestant churches.

We need the sure word of prophecy to help us know without a doubt what is truth. God gave us Sister White so we can know that what we believe is from the hand and mouth of God. No more guess work. No more wondering if it could be this or that way. I am 100% convinced that our understanding of the plan of salvation is right and true. Having this blessed assurance feels great. Thank you Jesus.

SDA affirmations/denials said
quote:
We believe that Scripture is the foundation of faith and the final authority in all matters of doctrine and practice.

We do not believe that the writings of Ellen White may be used as the basis of doctrine.

We do not believe that Scripture can be understood only through the writings of Ellen White.

We do not believe that the writings of Ellen White are essential for the proclamation of the truths of Scripture to society at large.

Re: Whose are we? #10224
10/10/03 01:06 AM
10/10/03 01:06 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, I believe our doctrines can be proven from the Bible. But I would not have the same confidence in some of our more controversial truths were it not for the confirmation of the Lord through the spirit of prophecy. I'm sorry that sounds like a contradiction, but in my mind they go hand in hand.

Re: Whose are we? #10225
10/10/03 12:01 PM
10/10/03 12:01 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Thomas, I believe our doctrines can be proven from the Bible. But I would not have the same confidence in some of our more controversial truths were it not for the confirmation of the Lord through the spirit of prophecy. I'm sorry that sounds like a contradiction, but in my mind they go hand in hand.

Which are these controversial truths that are not doctrine? Whats the difference between doctrine and other truths? If it is true, why not doctrine. If it cannot be confirmed by the bible, is it true at all? (assuming we talking about spirituall truths) I hope im not to hard on you, Im not after you, im after the principle behind why we belive what we belive, especially concerning things that as you say, cannot be confirmed outside of Ellens work.

/Thomas

Re: Whose are we? #10226
10/10/03 04:03 PM
10/10/03 04:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Actually, I believe all our 27 doctrines are truth and that they can all be "proven" without Sister White's confirmation. My point is that God's confirmation through the spirit of prophecy is what makes me 100% sure and confident all 27 are right. And that's important for me personally because doctrines/truths like the sanctuary, the investigative judgment, the mark of the beast, etc., have been hotly contested and debated within and without the church for years.

And to be honest were it not for God placing His seal of approval upon them through the spirit of prophecy I would not be as convinced of our translation and interpretation of certain disputed passages in the Bible. I believe our views are exegetically and hermeneutically sound, and I can conscientiously support them, but I also believe the opposition feels the same about their views. The difference is we have God's stamp of approval and they don't. And isn't that why we have the spirit of prophecy? Do you see what I mean?

John
16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.

Daniel
8:16 And I heard a man's voice between [the banks of] Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this [man] to understand the vision.
10:14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision [is] for [many] days.

Re: Whose are we? #10227
10/10/03 05:42 PM
10/10/03 05:42 PM
S
Steve Claborn  Offline
Alabama
Mike,
Perhaps you don't see it, but by your admission, the bible alone was not enough to convince you of these "truths." By saying that you are saying that EGW is more significant that the bible, because only through her writings do you fully believe the "truth." Now that may not be what you are saying, but that's what I am hearing......

Re: Whose are we? #10228
10/10/03 07:14 PM
10/10/03 07:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Steve, what I am saying is what makes sense to me. I don't expect a non-SDA to accept it. I have no problem with our doctrines especially since they have been verified and confirmed by God.

If Bible study alone was enough why then did God bother to coach our pioneers through the spirit of prophecy? They studied and prayed long and hard wrestling over troubling passages. When they came to an impasse God would reveal the correct interpretation to Sister White.

Re: Whose are we? #10229
10/10/03 07:42 PM
10/10/03 07:42 PM
S
Steve Claborn  Offline
Alabama
Mike,
I am a SDA, born and raised, and I don't understand your position.......

Re: Whose are we? #10230
10/10/03 10:54 PM
10/10/03 10:54 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
"I am a SDA, born and raised, and I don't understand your position......."

Steve: You mention nothing here about Christ saving you and giving you a new mind and heart.

Being a cultural/hereditary Adventist(or any other denomination) is a major draw-back, one I have found, creates a knee-jerk distaste for most things of personal/spiritual species, especially if it crosses one's pet theories or assumptions.

One cannot by logic rationalize Scripture. One cannot by reasoning compass the purpose of God on Present Truth or Past.

One cannot by argument summarize the actions of the Spirit.

But we can know Him, if we are born again.

Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!