HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,201
Posts195,688
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 5
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
9 registered members (TheophilusOne, Daryl, Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, daylily, 3 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103050
09/22/08 07:49 PM
09/22/08 07:49 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
If you're asking if Christ could have failed, the answer is "yes," He could have failed.

We agree there, but that's not what I'm asking.

If Christ could have failed, then God must have known that, right? So God knew that Christ might fail.

We agree there, too.

So if "did God mean that as a 100% certainty" means "God meant it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed," that would have to be false, right?

That conclusion requires some unspoken premises added to the ones above, which I don't want to address this time around.

Anyway, do I understand your position correctly, that when God said, "He shall bruise your head," God wasn't 100% sure that was actually going to happen?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103051
09/22/08 07:55 PM
09/22/08 07:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what do you hear Sister White saying in the following passage as it relates to what the angels knew about God before rebellion broke out?

Quote:
Satan, the chief of the fallen angels, once had an exalted position in heaven. He was next in honor to Christ. The knowledge which he, as well as the angels who fell with him, had of the character of God, of His goodness, His mercy, wisdom, and excellent glory, made their guilt unpardonable. {4BC 1163.2}

There was no possible hope for the redemption of those who had witnessed and enjoyed the inexpressible glory of heaven, and had seen the terrible majesty of God, and, in presence of all this glory, had rebelled against Him. There were no new and wonderful exhibitions of God's exalted power that could impress them so deeply as those they had already experienced. If they could rebel in the very presence of glory inexpressible, they could not be placed in a more favorable condition to be proved. There was no reserve force of power, nor were there any greater heights and depths of infinite glory to overpower their jealous doubts and rebellious murmuring. {4BC 1163.3}

She plainly says the angels knew God as well as they could know Him, that there was nothing else God could do more than He already had done to reveal something new about Himself that would prevent them from doubting or rebelling.

Is this true? Or, did God reveal something about Himself at the cross that the angels didn't already know about Him?

If so, does it serve to make them secure against evil than they were before Lucifer rebelled?

If so, why didn't God make Himself known to the angels in this way before they rebelled?

If not, why do you think the cross made the angels more secure against evil than they were before Lucifer rebelled?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103052
09/22/08 07:59 PM
09/22/08 07:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, if A&E had successfully withstood Satan’s assault, Jesus would not have needed to die to redeem us. Without the death of Jesus, upon what grounds would God have destroyed the evil angels?

And, what about the unfallen beings? What would have made them more secure against evil than they were before Lucifer rebelled?

I'd never thought of that. Good point.

Thank you. It came to me in the middle of night last night. I had to write down before I could get back to sleep. Do you have any answers?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103059
09/22/08 08:28 PM
09/22/08 08:28 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
Tom, if A&E had successfully withstood Satan’s assault, Jesus would not have needed to die to redeem us. Without the death of Jesus, upon what grounds would God have destroyed the evil angels?

And, what about the unfallen beings? What would have made them more secure against evil than they were before Lucifer rebelled?

I'd never thought of that. Good point.

Thank you. It came to me in the middle of night last night. I had to write down before I could get back to sleep. Do you have any answers?

No answers at this time that don't require invoking God's perfect foreknowledge.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103069
09/22/08 11:54 PM
09/22/08 11:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:So if "did God mean that as a 100% certainty" means "God meant it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed," that would have to be false, right?

A:That conclusion requires some unspoken premises added to the ones above, which I don't want to address this time around.

Perhaps the unspoken premises are necessary to address to adequately answer your question.

Quote:
Anyway, do I understand your position correctly, that when God said, "He shall bruise your head," God wasn't 100% sure that was actually going to happen?

We're agreeing that Christ could have failed, right?. We also agree that God knew this was the case, right?. Therefore God knew it wasn't 100% certain that Christ would succeed, since if that's what the word "risk" means, right?

(Please pardon the repeated "right?" I'm including them to try to pin down what it is you are disagreeing with. It seems to me these points all follow one right after the other).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103070
09/23/08 12:02 AM
09/23/08 12:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

You're question is assuming that the destruction of the evil angels occurs because of God rather than sin.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God...Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

Destruction takes place when God "leaves" Satan and his followers. It is God's actions which keep them alive. God keeps them alive so that the Great Controversy can be played out.

Anyway, your question is assuming a false premise.

Quote:

Do you mean if Jesus Christ hadn't died? We don't know. I know of one person who believes Christ would have died anyway, for precisely this reason. However, I believe God could have communicated the truths necessary to secure the universe without Christ's death, but we don't know how, because we, as human being, could understand it in no other way. I believe that just because there's no other way that we could understand, it doesn't follow that there was no other way that other beings could understand it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103071
09/23/08 12:07 AM
09/23/08 12:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In the following passages Ellen makes it clear unfallen beings were solidly on God's side way before the death of Jesus on the cross. His death "confirmed" their loyalty and allegiance - it did not establish it. Also, they were ready for the evil angels to die way before Jesus died on the cross. His death "confirmed" their readiness - it did not establish it. His death did not remove doubt - it "confirmed" their faith.

So how do you understand the following?

Quote:
"That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven. The significance of the death of Christ will be seen by saints and angels. (QOD 680)...The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. (ST 12/30/89)

I haven't been able to understand your point, MM. Do you think she is wrong here? Do you think she is saying something different than what she appears to be saying? If so, what do you think she is saying? If you agree that she means what she appears to be saying, that without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan, then doesn't it follow that they were more secure after the cross than before it?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103073
09/23/08 12:41 AM
09/23/08 12:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Okay. But what part of it explains what the holy angels learned about God that they didn't know before they choose to side with God when the other angels rebelled?

There are two parties to the controversy. The chapter deals at length with the unmasking of Satan. Since Satan was portraying God as having his (Satan's) own character, and himself as having God's, unmasking Satan simultaneously opened their eyes as to God's true character.

She starts out:

Quote:
Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion.

Later we read:

Quote:
Heaven viewed with grief and amazement Christ hanging upon the cross, blood flowing from His wounded temples, and sweat tinged with blood standing upon His brow. From His hands and feet the blood fell, drop by drop, upon the rock drilled for the foot of the cross.

If they viewed this with "amazement," then clearly aspects of God's character were being revealed to them (otherwise they would have viewed it with expectation rather than amazement).

Even the Scriptures tells us that the prophets wrote of things that angels longed to understand.

Quote:
MM: You seem to think God cannot know the future with certainty.

TE: I disagree with this statement. At least, it's not accurate, in terms of what I believe. Here's what I believe.

1.The future is not fixed but open.
2.God knows and perceived the future as not fixed by open.

MM:Does this mean God knows in advance with certainty which of all the options will play out in the future?

If this were the case, the future wouldn't be open.

Quote:
Or, does it mean God cannot know in advance with certainty which of all the options will play out in the future?

Yes, this is what the future being open means. The options have not yet been determined, and this is what God knows.

Quote:
T:IOW, the future is not the same as the past, even for God. They are fundamentally different in nature. What's the difference? The past consists of events which are fixed and unalterable, things which have already happened. The future consists of things yet to happen, which have not happened yet, which are not fixed. These are different for God as well as for us.

MM:I appreciate you explaining what you believe. I wasn’t aware you believe this way until just now.

I'm a bit surprised, since I've said this so many times, but I'm thankful for the feedback, as it gives me a better indication as to what is effective in communication.

Quote:
T:What's the difference between God and us regarding the future? The difference is that God sees the future perfectly, including all of it's possibilities. Everything that can happen God sees.

MM:What good does it do God to know all the possible ways the future can play out? In what way in this knowledge useful to God, or to anyone else?

The answer to this to seems like it should be obvious. I'll give an analogy in terms of the game of chess, and hope that you can see the use of foreseeing options and be able to apply the analogy to answer your question.

Say you're playing a game of chess, and you could foresee ever possible option until the end of the game. Then you would never lose, even to the World Champion, or the best possible computer.

Quote:
T:That God is not limited by time must be true since God created it. However, that does not imply that God does not experience time, or that God does not exist in time. All of Scripture denies the idea you are expressing. There are thousands upon thousands of expressions where God communicates to us as a Being who experiences things in time, as we do.

M:You say God is not limited by time, but what do you mean?

I don't know how to communicate the concept in a meaningful way, since we are limited in time and think in terms of time.

Quote:
What you wrote above about God and time makes it sound like He is no different than us, that He is limited in the same way we are.

No, God is not limited as we are. The issue has never been God, but the future. The future is limited, or rather not, being open, both for God and for us.

Quote:
That we die the first death is irrelevant.

I don't see why you're saying this.

Quote:
Also, the view I have been sharing does not limit God’s ability to relate to us within our time and space constraints. Why would it? And, why wouldn’t He?

I'm not saying that your limits how God communicates with us, but that how God actually has communicated with us contradicts your view. IOW, if your view were correct, Scripture would not say what it says. For example:

Quote:
Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.(Jer. 18)

This doesn't agree with your view.

Quote:
And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem
and people of Judah,
judge between me
and my vineyard.
4What more was there to do for my vineyard
that I have not done in it?
When I expected it to yield grapes,
why did it yield wild grapes?

(Isa. 5)

Nor does this.

Quote:
7And I thought, ‘After she has done all this she will return to me’; but she did not return (Jer. 3)

Nor this.

Quote:
8‘If they will not believe you or heed the first sign, they may believe the second sign. (Ex. 4)

Nor this.

Many more could be cited.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103075
09/23/08 01:05 AM
09/23/08 01:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This is where I disagree. You are limiting God when we have no way of knowing that the future for God is like it is for us.

This could be true if God didn't communicate with us, but He does and He has. When He tells us things like

Quote:
Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled.(COL 196)

we can make inferences regarding how God views the future. (I cited references from Scripture for MM which bear this out as well).

Quote:
There is no way to know that God does not know how the details will play out.

Yes there is! God communicates with us.

Quote:
Or that the future IS the same for Him as it is for us.

I didn't say this! Not at all! I didn't say the future is the same for God as it is for us, but that the past is fundamentally different than the future, both for us and for God.

Quote:
Considering He made time and space it doesnt seem He would be restricted by it yet at the same time clearly He does enter it for us in acts of providence. By allowing us our free will there is an intercomplexity of all of our free wills and His free will working together in such a way that His purposes will work out for good. Again the emotions are real even though He already knew how it would play out. Its similiar to knowing your parents will die of old age before they get to be 115 but still being sad when it happens.

How do you figure? It doesn't seem the least bit similar to this at all.

Both the Scriptures and the Spirit of Prophecy present God as reacting to circumstances. I've already presented many examples of this.

Quote:
Why are you sad, you always knew they would die?

If I knew they would die at a specific time, when that time came, I, as a finite being living in time could indeed still experience sadness, but how would this apply to God? Wouldn't God have already experienced this sadness? How would His experiencing the sadness the moment something happened be any different than His having experienced it beforehand or afterwards?

Quote:
Also God could know for sure that Jesus would not fail and therefore make the promise in Gen yet the risk of failure would still be real because that knowledge in no way caused the success.

If God knows with certainty something will happen, wouldn't you agree that the probability of that thing happening is 100%? Wouldn't you also agree that if a thing has a 100% probability of happening then it follows that the negation of that thing can't have more than a 0% chance of happening?

Or, to put it another way, please explain to me how both of the following can be true:

1.God knew with certainty Christ would not fail.
2.Christ failed.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103079
09/23/08 01:53 AM
09/23/08 01:53 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
T:So if "did God mean that as a 100% certainty" means "God meant it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed," that would have to be false, right?

A:That conclusion requires some unspoken premises added to the ones above, which I don't want to address this time around.

Perhaps the unspoken premises are necessary to address to adequately answer your question.

I'm sure we will eventually need to hash out every premise. But my question for now is purely on your conclusion, not the premises or the logic behind it. In short, I only want to confirm that I understand what you arrived at, not how you arrived at it.

Quote:

We're agreeing that Christ could have failed, right?. We also agree that God knew this was the case, right?. Therefore God knew it wasn't 100% certain that Christ would succeed, since if that's what the word "risk" means, right?

(Please pardon the repeated "right?" I'm including them to try to pin down what it is you are disagreeing with. It seems to me these points all follow one right after the other).

My answers: Yes, yes, no.

Your answers are, "yes, yes, yes," correct?

We seem to differ on the relationship between what can happen and what will happen. In my view, the existence of multiple options that can happen does not eliminate the possibility of someone knowing what will happen.

IOW, I reject the analogy to quantum mechanics, but look at it more like chaos theory. And as far as QM goes, just because most physicists currently believe that the universe is probabilistic does not mean that it is. There was a time when all physicists believed that it was deterministic.

Anyway, I believe that when God promised, "He shall bruise your head," He was 100% certain of it. God's word is sure.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
"Justice" or torture?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:08 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!