HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,671
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne, dedication), 2,619 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: asygo] #113107
05/15/09 09:04 AM
05/15/09 09:04 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Of course now you throw the common rag that every person who tries to get away from God's law does -- saying I'm just "cleaning the outside" and don't believe in inner renewal, and the Holy Spirit imprinting His law in mind and heart, because I don't trust my own feelings and determine to base what is right or wrong upon God's Word. Because I believe God's commands take precedence over even the best understanding we have of love.

That somehow I'm trying to "generate love" by obeying a set of rules.
I guess you didn't read my posts --

I wrote:
"That love response in us grows as we contemplate the cross, and what Christ has done for us. And then, yes, we want to do what God says. We love to do what He says, because we love HIM. We love others because we see His love for them. But it will always be our love from our human hearts and minds. Influenced and renewed (and I must add, purified) by the Holy Spirit, yes, but still our human love."

Quote:

But once we escape the tangles of human ideas, we will find that love, as God defines it, is not something that is subject to the law, but is something that determines what the law must be.

Here you clearly say that love as God defines it is not subject to God's law, but determines what the law must be.

Doesn't quite make sense does it --
Since God's law and God's love are never in conflict.

Yet, with that logic, people say, "now that I know something about God's love, I'll let that determine what God's law must be.
That, whether you agree or not, is the logical conclusion of what you said.

A person will never escape HUMAN thought, for that is the center of their being -- a human being that thinks. You will never think exactly the same as anyone else.
Your definition of "how God defines love" will never be exactly the same in actual situations, as anothers.

And God's thoughts are far above our thoughts.

God's definition of love is FAR ABOVE our concept of that love.
Our BEST attempts fall short.

-- A person will never even know how God defines love unless they study His Word and His commands.
He will never know how God's commands define love unless they study His Word and His commands.

We can NEVER depend on self thinking we've arrived at some level of perfect love within that we no longer need to follow God's commandments.

Quote:
In contrast, the one who looks at the law as a set of requirements is trying to clean the outside of the cup.Life is one big chore for such a one.

So are you saying God's law is not binding? It's not required of a Christian to "keep God's commandments"?
Is it a burden to you?
Actually, I think the one who thinks it's a big chore to obey God's commandments is the one who is only cleaning the outside.
If you really had God's "love" there would be no resistance to His commandments.
It would be plain that God's law is like a hedge keeping us on the right path as we follow Jesus with gratitude and joy.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113118
05/15/09 03:48 PM
05/15/09 03:48 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Of course now you throw the common rag that every person who tries to get away from God's law does -- saying I'm just "cleaning the outside" and don't believe in inner renewal

Use your syllogisms, friend. You are jumping to erroneous conclusions.

Did I say you were "just" cleaning the outside? Quote me.

What I was trying to get across was that you were cleaning the outside of the cup, and from there working toward cleaning the inside. "If you keep My commandments, you will love Me."

Though you believe in inner renewal, you are teaching that it comes from outward compliance. Your cart precedes the horse.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113119
05/15/09 03:55 PM
05/15/09 03:55 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
So are you saying God's law is not binding? It's not required of a Christian to "keep God's commandments"?
Is it a burden to you?

1) The law is binding, not because it is written on stone, but because it is written on the heart. That's the only way for the law to be truly binding.

2) Keeping the commandments is required, like breathing is required.

3) Why would it be a burden, if it is simply carrying out my impulses? Now, if I was trying to keep the law, but my heart really wanted to do something else, that would be a burden. The only way for the law to be not a burden is for my heart and mind to be renewed. Anything short is "grit your teeth and bear it" legalism.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Daryl] #113121
05/15/09 04:29 PM
05/15/09 04:29 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
As this week's study is on grace, how do love and grace relate to each other?

because God is love He is able to extend grace to us, who have failed in loving Him supremely and others as ourself. if He were not love He would have just wiped us out and went on His merry way without a second thought.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113122
05/15/09 05:45 PM
05/15/09 05:45 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Yes, we need to dwell upon the matchless love of God revealed through Christ our Savior, yet if we concentrate solely on one attribute to the neglect of the others, we may end up with a different god.

the messenger of the Lord seems to have thought differently:

Quote:
Let the mind dwell upon His love, upon the beauty, the perfection, of His character. Christ in His self-denial, Christ in His humiliation, Christ in His purity and holiness, Christ in His matchless love --this is the subject for the soul's contemplation. It is by loving Him, copying Him, depending wholly upon Him, that you are to be transformed into His likeness. {SC 70.2}

Quote:
It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross. {DA 83.4}
As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18. {DA 83.5}

Quote:
His ministry was nearly completed; He had only a few more lessons to impart. And that they might never forget the humility of the pure and spotless Lamb of God, the great and efficacious Sacrifice for man humbled Himself to wash the feet of His disciples. It will do you good, and our ministers generally, to frequently review the closing scenes in the life of our Redeemer. Here, beset with temptations as He was, we may all learn lessons of the utmost importance to us. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour each day reviewing the life of Christ from the manger to Calvary. We should take it point by point and let the imagination vividly grasp each scene, especially the closing ones of His earthly life. By thus contemplating His teachings and sufferings, and the infinite sacrifice made by Him for the redemption of the race, we may strengthen our faith, quicken our love, and become more deeply imbued with the spirit which sustained our Saviour. If we would be saved at last we must all learn the lesson of penitence and faith at the foot of the cross. Christ suffered humiliation to save us from everlasting disgrace. He consented to have scorn, mockery, and abuse fall upon Him in order to shield us. It was our transgression that gathered the veil of darkness about His divine soul and extorted the cry from Him, as of one smitten and forsaken of God. He bore our sorrows; He was put to grief for our sins. He made Himself an offering for sin, that we might be justified before God through Him. Everything noble and generous in man will respond to the contemplation of Christ upon the cross. {4T 374.1}
I long to see our ministers dwell more upon the cross of Christ, their own hearts, meanwhile, softened and subdued by the Saviour's matchless love, which prompted that infinite sacrifice. If, in connection with the theory of the truth, our ministers would dwell more upon practical godliness, speaking from a heart imbued with the spirit of truth, we should see many more souls flocking to the standard of truth; their hearts would be touched by the pleadings of the cross of Christ, the infinite generosity and pity of Jesus in suffering for man. These vital subjects, in connection with the doctrinal points of our faith, would effect much good among the people. But the heart of the teacher must be filled with the experimental knowledge of the love of Christ. {4T 374.2}
The mighty argument of the cross will convict of sin. The divine love of God for sinners, expressed in the gift of His Son to suffer shame and death that they might be ennobled and endowed with everlasting life, is the study of a lifetime. I ask you to study anew the cross of Christ. If all the proud and vainglorious, whose hearts are panting for the applause of men and for distinction above their fellows, could rightly estimate the value of the highest earthly glory in contrast with the value of the Son of God, rejected, despised, spit upon, by the very ones whom He came to redeem, how insignificant would appear all the honor that finite man can bestow. {4T 375.1}
.... The less you meditate upon Christ and His matchless love and the less you are assimilated to His image, the better will you appear in your own eyes, and the more self-confidence and self-complacency will you possess. A correct knowledge of Christ, a constant looking unto the Author and Finisher of our faith, will give you such a view of the character of a true Christian that you cannot fail to make a right estimate of your own life and character in contrast with those of the great Exemplar. You will then see your own weakness, your ignorance, your love of ease, and your unwillingness to deny self. {4T 375.2}

there is only one way into heaven, studying Christ, His love for us, how He treated all.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113125
05/15/09 08:11 PM
05/15/09 08:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Way to go Arnold! Ask for quotes!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113128
05/15/09 10:47 PM
05/15/09 10:47 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I truly regret missing this week's posts as they happened; may have helped sooner. Shall touch here on salient bits from the whole week's discussion.

I'll come to grace in a moment...; it deserves a strong mention! lol

Love and law. The law of God expresses his love so we can understand how far from it we sinful humans are: they are synonymous, God's agape and the Commandments both as written and as demonstrated in the life and death of Christ. Human love, whether family, friendly or romantic, isn't the same as Christian love, our experience of God's agape, since they're varieties of human expression, but..., when backed by Christian love any human expression of love virtually becomes Christian love itself...

Righteous: what's it mean in and for us? Acquittal can't be the main point as then it'd be a misnomer, for much, much more than pardon is involved! Righteous means, as pointed out earlier, right doing: therefore, Rom 5:19 is not the same as Rom 5:18. Being made righteous is what justification by faith is, with the renewal of the mind of Rom 12:2. Acquittal is the legal basis of this spiritual experience, but that acquittal isn't an experience, it's a legal event, and that's a matter of grace alone, is it not, for Jesus is "the Saviour of the world".

Moreover, righteous also means both just & straight(ened): that means correction of the bent (the meaning of "iniquity", isn't it?) of sinfulness in human nature to the justified, righteous, straightened mind of Christ, which he was born with (whatever you wish to call his mind other than justified...! Justified without needing conversion, perhaps?) and we receive at conversion.

Righteous love is Christian love, and that starts as the attitude we have when we use the "mind of Christ": righteousness is attitude first, then thought, word and deed, and that attitude is the mindset submitted to Christ's Lordship by his Spirit dwelling in our mind - hence we have "the mind of Christ", just as he learned obedience by the things he suffered. The things he suffered is best interpreted as deprivation of sinful satisfaction, which his adopted, sinful flesh craved, but he learned obedience as he followed his Father by grace through faith.

Determining the law of God and its viability/meaning in human life by human measures is indeed "the new theology", since it quite likely interprets Christ's suffering in learning by obedience as something other than the suffering of his sinful, human flesh which he felt: he didn't conquer sin in the flesh to be our Saviour (...says the new theology; also, he's our Example after qualifying as Saviour as in the paragraph above!), so we can't either - whatever sort of logic you want to call that, that's the end result of the "new theology".

Agape is who God is, but what God is, the essence of the Godhead or divine nature, is holiness. Holiness calls for justice and mercy, that is wrath against sin and redemption from sin (& the wrath due it), and agape supplies both.

The fruits of the Spirit conclude with what??? "Against such there is no law." Holiness of God and righteousness of Christ, imputed as our renewed minds and imparted in to our changing and ultimately changed characters - reflecting Christ, are in harmony with the written expression of God's love. The law was given to expose what was contrary to God's will, thus it expressed God's agape, rather than any expression of human wisdom or claims of love. Once we come to Christ, having been driven by the law to seek his salvation from our sins and sinfulness, the law lain in the ark in heaven remains merely a memorial of God's grace in Christ moving out of glory to save this lost world: the written law shall have no more relevance since it is written on our hearts by and in the person of the Holy Spirit (who shall never depart from us, for all eternity; he is our participation in the divine nature...). The Holy Spirit is Christ and the Father's joint, personal omnipresence (thus, not the same type of person as them): he materialises Christ's characteristic righteousness in our minds and lives. Love is equal to the law, and the law is equal to love, but the written law has played its part as Christ's love, agape, remains in our hearts, forever more from this life of faith, for Jesus then to return and fetch us home to be with him where he is.

Now for a bit on grace....

Last edited by Colin; 05/15/09 11:18 PM. Reason: editing
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113129
05/15/09 11:07 PM
05/15/09 11:07 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Grace and love...: yes, by grace love is expressed to us in Christ. They speak for each other, though, don't they? They're synonymous, aren't they: love is graceous and grace is loving..., speaking of agape here, of course.

Grace itself is misstated, imho, as that which we don't deserve: undeserved favour. Is that all??! Isn't grace another book bigger than "favour" of whichever sort it is here rightly said to be?!! It was Ps Ian Hartley, originally of South Africa, but possibly now still in Canada somewhere, who related to us young adults at the camp meeting sessions reserved for us who were older than senior youth - 26-35, that grace is God's actions, his plans, his creation, and then also his intervention in our creation after we turned from him.

God's grace is his lifestyle. Think a little wider than "words": what does God do with himself, has he also done and shall always do, after sin in over and gone??? He provides all that his creation could ever want or think to need and want, and that includes basing our justification, sanctification and glorification in Jesus' graceous, incarnated life, which we receive by accepting his spiritual history as ours, believing he graceously made his move so we find out afterwards that it's all sorted out for us, should we wish his option.

Grace doesn't just encompass salvation mercy, etc. It is God's whole story of catering to fallen and unfallen creatures, and more than that, since we don't know the end of his plans, into eternity to come, beyond relocating to the new earth....

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113132
05/15/09 11:47 PM
05/15/09 11:47 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
that is an interesting thought. no one "deserves" life. or anything else the Lord has provided for the fallen and unfallen.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113136
05/16/09 12:51 AM
05/16/09 12:51 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

Way to go Arnold! Ask for quotes!

Good thing my quotes are confined to a limited area.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!