HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,668
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,708 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113420
05/21/09 03:29 AM
05/21/09 03:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Ellen White’s concern was Donnell’s last-generation theology, not his Christology.

Rosangela, she said there was not a thread of truth in the whole fabric. The Christology was key point, as Haskell makes clear. Why do you think Waggoner, Jones, Prescott and Haskell all argued so strongly against this? It was during this time that Jones wrote the articles in the Review and Herald that would later form a prominent part in his book "The Consecrated Way to Perfection."

Also during this time Ellen White penned her strongest statements in regards to Christ's taking our fallen nature. For example, Christ took "our sinful nature." Christ took our nature, "defiled and degraded by sin." "The nature of God, whose law had been transgressed, and the nature of Adam, the transgressor, meet in Jesus--the Son of God, and the Son of man." Do you think this is just coincidence?

Quote:
(you really can't resist taking barbs at Jones or Waggoner, can you?; rather amusing).

smile I’m concerned about you, because you almost idolize them.

I see that God worked through them, as well as through others. You appear to have the idea that God only worked through Ellen White, that only she (and you smile ) are right, and everyone else is wrong.

I don't believe this. Ellen White said that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could. If I believe she was telling the truth, I should believe that, shouldn't I?

Quote:
Of course the statement that there isn’t a thread of truth in the whole fabric refers to Donnell’s and Davis’ main points, that is, that Christ had holy flesh and that we can also have holy flesh; that we can achieve the point of no longer having to worry about sinning; that if we have the correct type of faith we will never die; and that those who receive the seal of God won’t have any physical defect. But obviously nothing, to be believable, can be 100% wrong – not even what Satan himself says. In every mistaken teaching, truth is always mixed with error. Recognizing this is good common sense.

You're not paying attention to what Donnell actually said. For your convenience, here it is:

Quote:
Where did Adam stand before his fall?. . . He was holy. Now, in order to pass over the same ground that Adam passed over, Christ would most assuredly have to begin just where Adam began! . . . . Now, we know that his divinity was holy, and if his humanity was holy, then we do know that that thing which was born of the virgin Mary was in every sense a holy thing, and did not possess the tendency to sin—R.S. Donnell, "Article Two", pp. 6,7.(R.S. Donnell, "Article Two", pp. 6,7.)

This was the linchpin of the argument, which is what was most addressed. Haskell's commented:

Quote:

It is the greatest mixture of fanaticism in the truth that I ever have seen. I would not claim that we managed it the best way in everything, and yet I do not know where I made any mistake. We tried to do the very best we could, and had they not have talked against us and misrepresented our position, there would have been no confusion with the people. But when we stated that we believed that Christ was born in fallen humanity, they would represent us as believing that Christ sinned, notwithstanding the fact that we would state our position so clearly that it would seem as though no one could misunderstand us.

Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die"

If you look at what we (i.e. SDA's) most spent time in with regards to the Holy Flesh teachings, it was Christology. This cannot be denied. Many articles were written on this theme, and even in Ellen White's writings Christology during this time is pronounced.

Quote:
Ellen White, commenting about the sermon, says that in it Christ was exalted. The sermon was about righteousness by faith, not about Christ’s nature.

You've got to be kidding!! The title of the sermon was "The Word Made Flesh." The speaker pointed out that Christ took sinful flesh something like three dozen times!!!

How you can miss what the point of the sermon is is beyond belief.

Quote:
However, what the sermon presents about Christ’s nature is correct – Christ didn’t come in the flesh of Adam – He came in our flesh. He took our sinful, fallen nature - except for one element: sin.

If you mean "except Christ didn't sin," you are correct. If you mean something else, then you are totally missing Prescott's point. I'd suggest re-reading his sermon more carefully, and also take a look at what Prescott said during the 1895 GCB (during which time Ellen White was also strongly endorsing his work). It appears you're quite confused as to what Prescott was saying. This is easily remedied by setting aside your own ideas, and considering what he actually said.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Prescott was strongly influenced by Jones (at first Prescott was against Jones and Waggoner's ideas, but he was open to the leading of the Spirit of God.) His teaching on Christology was no different than Jones'.

Quote:
This is what she mentions in her letters and diary notes about the subject, as well as in her address given at the 1891 general conference. She never mentions anything about Christ’s nature – which you say is the main point in the whole controversy.

The logic of postlapsarian theology is that Christ took our sinful flesh and was obedient in that flesh, thus preparing the way for us. This is exactly what Prescott argued, as did Waggoner and Jones. When Ellen White said that Prescott showed in his sermon that we can keep the law, this is what she meant. This is obvious by reading Prescott's sermon. Prescott said nothing specifically about Christ's showing that we can keep the law! Not a word! Yet Ellen White inferred this truth from what Prescott said, which is that Christ came in our sinful flesh and kept the law perfect, thus preparing the way for humanity.

Prescott demonstrated that we can keep the law by explaining how Christ came in flesh just like ours. Prescott did not say that Christ's sinful flesh was like ours except different in some way. He said the following:

Quote:
Jesus Christ had exactly the same flesh that we bear — flesh of sin, flesh in which we sin, but in which He did not sin.

This is what Prescott's theology was: Christ has "exactly the same flesh that we bear." This could not be clearer! It's exactly the same! The only difference is that Christ did not sin in our flesh, but we do.

It's very clear that this is what Prescott meant. You see this, don't you?

Quote:
T:What, oh what, does this have to do with Christ's taking "our sinful nature"?

R:It has everything to do with it! It’s part of our sinful nature loving what God hates and hating what He loves. Was Christ born with this part of our sinful nature?

As Prescott stated, Christ's "has exactly the same flesh we bear." All Ellen White stated, Christ accepted the working of the great law of heredity in order to share in our sorrows and temptations.

Quote:
Ellen White seems to agree with the Wesleyan definition of sin. “Sin,” for Wesley, was willful sin (as opposed to sins of ignorance). So, when she says, “there is no sin,” this means willful sin, but obviously in this case there is a sin of ignorance.

She didn't say this. An angel said it to her. She recorded what the angel said. I guess you could say that the angel agreed with Wesley's definition of sin.

It doesn't seem like you're addressing the point. The angels said that when light is rejected, then comes the "frown of God." The "frown of God" signifies the condemnation of God. No light rejected = no frown of God (else "then comes the frown of God" is meaningless.) This is the context of the statement "there is no sin."

So how does a baby's actions (or a fetus' actions after 20 weeks) bring the frown of God?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113423
05/21/09 04:04 AM
05/21/09 04:04 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
How did we get here..., this topic?

I'm desmonstrating that Christ could not have obtained our salvation under the covenant of grace. In the covenant of grace obedience (works) has no merit.

Before I comment on that, what covenant do you think Christ obtained our salvation under, and where did it come from?

Works...no merit: are you looking at Christ's obedience, or ours, or both?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113432
05/21/09 08:30 AM
05/21/09 08:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
So how does a baby's actions (or a fetus' actions after 20 weeks) bring the frown of God?

Maybe there are considerations other than one's actions and the frown of God. Consider a person who was born into a situation where he never learned anything about God, but was taught evil instead (e.g. slavery). Will God frown at him? Will God grant him eternal life?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: asygo] #113438
05/21/09 04:13 PM
05/21/09 04:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why would God frown on him? Did he reject light?

Regarding eternal life, what I believe is that God will take anyone to heaven that would be happy there. If the person wouldn't be happy in heaven, he won't be resurrected. We know there are a certain group of people that won't be resurrected at all (such as certain slaves, e.g.)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113455
05/22/09 02:43 AM
05/22/09 02:43 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, she said there was not a thread of truth in the whole fabric. The Christology was key point, as Haskell makes clear.

Haskell addresses this point once or twice, but Ellen White doesn’t, either in what she wrote or in what she spoke about the subject.

Quote:
Why do you think Waggoner, Jones, Prescott and Haskell all argued so strongly against this? It was during this time that Jones wrote the articles in the Review and Herald that would later form a prominent part in his book "The Consecrated Way to Perfection."

The sinful tendencies of Christ’s humanity were a prominent aspect of their theology at all times, Tom, not just at this time. So this could hardly be considered an evidence that the holy flesh controversy revolved around this subject. In fact, Christ’s humanity was occasionally mentioned at this time in the Review as part of the theme which was receiving prominence – perfection – which, coincidently, was also the main theme of the holy flesh people.

Quote:
Also during this time Ellen White penned her strongest statements in regards to Christ's taking our fallen nature. For example, Christ took "our sinful nature." Christ took our nature, "defiled and degraded by sin." "The nature of God, whose law had been transgressed, and the nature of Adam, the transgressor, meet in Jesus--the Son of God, and the Son of man."

There was no especial change in this period. Ellen White had been using such expressions long before the holy flesh controversy. For instance, in 1896 she said that Christ “took upon Him our sinful nature”, and in 1898 she said that Christ united “the offending nature of man with His own sinless nature”. On the other hand, during this period she also said, for instance, that Christ “vanquished Satan in the same nature over which in Eden Satan obtained the victory”, and that "He was to take His position at the head of humanity by taking the nature but not the sinfulness of man".
http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/wwhc/hoc-ab.htm

Quote:
I see that God worked through them [Jones and Waggoner], as well as through others. You appear to have the idea that God only worked through Ellen White, that only she (and you :)) are right, and everyone else is wrong.

My position in relation to the EGW writings is the same as in relation to the Bible – that there are no doctrinal errors in inspired writings, and that uninspired writings must be judged by them – and not the other way around.

Quote:
This [Donnell’s assertion that Christ’s humanity did not possess the tendency to sin] was the linchpin of the argument, which is what was most addressed. Haskell's commented:

...Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die

No, the main focus of the fanaticism in the United States was the last generation perfection/holiness. You can verify this by reading Haloviak, “From Righteousness to Holy Flesh,” p. 18-25, about what Haskell and others wrote to Ellen White, and what Ellen White wrote in return. Christ’s nature was a mere detail in all that.

Quote:
The title of the sermon was "The Word Made Flesh." The speaker pointed out that Christ took sinful flesh something like three dozen times!!!
How you can miss what the point of the sermon is is beyond belief.

I didn’t miss it. I said what he presented there was correct, but that Ellen White didn’t refer to that.

Quote:
R: However, what the sermon presents about Christ’s nature is correct – Christ didn’t come in the flesh of Adam – He came in our flesh. He took our sinful, fallen nature - except for one element: sin.
T: If you mean "except Christ didn't sin," you are correct. If you mean something else, then you are totally missing Prescott's point.

I’m not missing Ellen White’s point. She wrote that Christ “had not taken on Him the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin. ... His finite nature was pure and spotless. ... We must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan’s temptations degraded His humanity and [that] He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. ... Christ took our nature, fallen but not corrupted” (Ms 57, 1890).

Quote:
This is what Prescott's theology was: Christ has "exactly the same flesh that we bear." This could not be clearer! It's exactly the same! The only difference is that Christ did not sin in our flesh, but we do.

This is the correct part. The wrong part is believing that sinful tendencies are in the flesh, and not in the mind/heart.

Quote:
T:What, oh what, does this have to do with Christ's taking "our sinful nature"?
R:It has everything to do with it! It’s part of our sinful nature loving what God hates and hating what He loves. Was Christ born with this part of our sinful nature?
T: As Prescott stated, Christ's "has exactly the same flesh we bear." All Ellen White stated, Christ accepted the working of the great law of heredity in order to share in our sorrows and temptations.

The law of heredity transmits to us a carnal mind. This is a fact.

Quote:
It doesn't seem like you're addressing the point. The angels said that when light is rejected, then comes the "frown of God." The "frown of God" signifies the condemnation of God.

No. The “frown of God” signifies the wrath of God.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113465
05/22/09 04:40 PM
05/22/09 04:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.Here's what Haskell wrote to Ellen White:

Quote:
It is the greatest mixture of fanaticism in the truth that I ever have seen. I would not claim that we managed it the best way in everything, and yet I do not know where I made any mistake. We tried to do the very best we could, and had they not have talked against us and misrepresented our position, there would have been no confusion with the people. But when we stated that we believed that Christ was born in fallen humanity, they would represent us as believing that Christ sinned, notwithstanding the fact that we would state our position so clearly that it would seem as though no one could misunderstand us.

Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die"

One week later he wrote the following editorial in the Review and Herald entitled "Christ in Holy Flesh, or A Holy Christ in Sinful Flesh." In this article, Haskell quoted Ellen White's statement in the Desire of Ages

Quote:
Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us

and commented, "This is fallen humanity, with its hereditary tendencies."

Two months later Jones wrote a series of articles in the Review entitled "The Faith of Jesus." These articles would form part of his book "The Consecrated Way to Perfection."

Donnell countered what Jones was writing by writing articles of his own. In these articles Donnell asserted:

Quote:
He (Jesus) must possess that which He offers us. . . . If Christ proposes to restore man to his first estate, he must come to man standing in that estate himself. He must come standing where Adam, the first owner, stood before he fell"—Article One", p. 4.

and

Quote:
The only reason why God does not dwell in man is because sin is there, and in order for God to again dwell in man sin must be eradicated. The body of Christ was a body in which God was incarnate, and as God and Satan cannot dwell together, the body of Christ must have been a body from which even every tendency to sin must have been wholly eradicated"— "Article Two", p. 6.

and

Quote:
Where did Adam stand before his fall?. . . He was holy. Now, in order to pass over the same ground that Adam passed over, Christ would most assuredly have to begin just where Adam began! . . . . Now, we know that his divinity was holy, and if his humanity was holy, then we do know that that thing which was born of the virgin Mary was in every sense a holy thing, and did not possess the tendency to sin—R.S. Donnell, "Article Two", pp. 6,7.

He stated a bit later:

Quote:
He took a body which showed by its deteriorated condition, that the effects of sin was shown by it, but His life proved that there was no sin in it. It was a body which the Father had prepared for Him. Heb. 10:5. Christ’s body represented a body redeemed from its fallen spiritual nature, but not from its fallen, or deteriorated physical nature. It was a body redeemed from sin, and with that body Christ clothed His divinity.

Here is the Q and A of another HF proponent:

Quote:
Question #4: Please state in a few words your views on the nature of Christ. Answer—‘Luke 1:35 That holy thing.’

Question #7: Is every child born into the world naturally inclined to evil, even before it is old enough to discern between good and evil? Answer—‘Yes, unless preserved from the law of heredity in conception by the power of the Holy Ghost.’"

At the 1901 GC session, dealing with the HF movement was the primary concern. Waggoner preached at that session, saying:

Quote:
After speaking here the last time that I was here, there were two questions handed me, and I might read them now. One of them is this: "Was that Holy Thing which was born of the Virgin Mary born in sinful flesh, and did that flesh have the same evil tendencies to contend with that ours does?". . . .

Before we go on with this text, let me show you what there is in the idea that is in this question. You have it in mind. Was Christ, that holy thing which was born of the virgin Mary, born in sinful flesh? Did you ever hear of the Roman Catholic doctrine of the immaculate conception? And do you know what it is?. . . . The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is that Mary, the Mother of Jesus, was born sinless. Why?—Ostensibly to magnify Jesus; really the work of the devil to put a wide gulf between Jesus the Saviour of men, and the men whom He came to save, so that one could not pass over to the other. That is all.

What conclusions can we draw from this?

a)Clearly Christology was the driving factor in the false theology. This is where most of the attention was directed.

b)This opposition started immediately, upon confronting the HF error, and continued in the HF teachings were defeated.

c)Ellen White stated there was not a thread of truth in the whole fabric. Therefore the Christology was false, as this was the basis of the "whole fabric."

d)You are on the HF side of this controversy (the Christological part).

e)That Ellen White was on the HF side of the controversy (regarding the Christology) is impossible:

i)It would require that she be rather a dolt, not understanding that their argument demanded the Christology upon which it was built.

ii)Or, assuming she was not a dolt, it would require her to be, at a minimum, misspeaking when she said there was not a thread of truth to the whole fabric.

iii)It's not credible to suppose that while there was all this activity going on fighting the HF Christology that Ellen White would not have spoken to Waggoner, Jones, or Haskll about it. "Way a moment, guys. They are right about the Christology. Don't fight them on this point. Discuss the following errors." She would have given counsel along these lines. She would not have spurned her own advice that we might opponents with arguments that are wholly sound.

2.During this time period, Ellen White wrote the following:

Quote:
Think of Christ's humiliation. He took upon Himself fallen, suffering human nature, degraded and defiled by sin. He took our sorrows, bearing our grief and shame. He endured all the temptations wherewith man is beset. He united humanity with divinity: a divine spirit dwelt in a temple of flesh. He united Himself with the temple. "The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us," because by so doing He could associate with the sinful, sorrowing sons and daughters of Adam (YI Dec. 20, 1900).

Quote:
In Christ were united the divine and the human--the Creator and the creature. The nature of God, whose law had been transgressed, and the nature of Adam, the transgressor, meet in Jesus--the Son of God, and the Son of man. (MS 141, 1901)

That she would write these while secretly agreeing with Donnell is rather far-fetched.

Regarding the statement you cited, clearly she is saying "in human nature" regarding defeating Christ in the same nature that Adam was defeated in. She wasn't saying that Christ defeated in Satan in the nature of Adam the unfallen, or else she'd be contradicting herself, as she writes that the nature of Adam "the transgressor" united with the nature of God. I have no idea why you mentioned this quote.

2.The position you hold regarding Ellen White seems strange to me. First of all, didn't she teach that we should judge doctrines on the basis of Scripture? She never said we should judge doctrines on the basis of her writings instead, or in addition to, Scripture. I don't understand why you have this idea.

Secondly, the Holy Spirit worked with the church as a whole. He didn't just use Ellen White and ignore everyone else. Indeed, Ellen White was emphatic that the Holy Spirit worked in a wonderful way through Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott. I don't understand at all the drastic separation you make between Ellen White and the others. She had a gift, and the others had gifts. She didn't make the distinction you are making.

For example, a delegate of the 1888 conference went to Ellen White to discuss Jones and Waggoner, and she told the delegate that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could. The delegate was surprised, and said, "What, with all your experience, and being a prophet, he can teach righteousness by faith better than you?" She responded that yes, he could, that God gave him a gift that He didn't give to her.

Now I believe her. Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could. Given she is correct about this, I don't understand your idea of judging his writings by hers. Why would you "correct" someone by someone else who doesn't understand the subject as the person being "corrected?" She certainly didn't advocate this.

My thinking on this issue is to simply read what people wrote, and see if it makes sense, and use the Scriptures in case any questions come up as a way of judging doctrinal questions. John tells us we have the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. The SOP tells us the Holy Spirit used Jones and Waggoner to send us a message, a message that could be taught by them better than she. Your whole outlook on how you approach their writings looks to me to be totally foreign to what she actually said.

3.Regarding Prescott's sermon, you claimed, "The sermon was about righteousness by faith, not about Christ’s nature." What I found beyond belief is that you could somehow not grasp that the sermon *was* about Christ's nature. I still find that hard to believe.

Regarding this comment:

Quote:

This is the correct part. The wrong part is believing that sinful tendencies are in the flesh, and not in the mind/heart.

I think there may be some confusion in regards to the phrase "sinful tendencies." I think it would be clearer to stick to the phrases used by the authors, and quote them. This can help avoid the "switcheroos" that Arnold mentioned earlier.

Prescott's theology was straightforward postlapsarian theology. He asserted that Christ assumed flesh which is exactly like ours, but that Christ did not sin in that flesh. "Sinful flesh" and "sinful nature" were used synonymously by the "old guys." You can look at Jones or Waggoner's writings and see precisely the same point made by them as Prescott made in his sermon, which isn't surprising since Prescott got his ideas from Jones.

I don't understand how you can read Prescott's sermon, and Ellen White's endorsement of it, and not grasp that she is endorsing postlapsarian theology. You'd have to either think that Prescott was not teaching postlapsarian theology, or that Ellen White somehow didn't grasp that.

4.There's a difference between a carnal mind and sinful nature (or sinful flesh). You seem to equate these, which I think also leads to confusion. Certainly if you equate them, we could not assert that Christ took "our sinful nature," (as Ellen White did) since Christ did not have a carnal mind.

The reason the law of heredity transmits to us a carnal mind is because we've all sinned. If we didn't sin, we wouldn't have a carnal mind, even having a sinful nature. It's possible to have sinful flesh (or "sinful nature") and not have a carnal mind. Christ demonstrated this, and the 144,000 will demonstrate this as well.

5.Regarding your statement that "no frown of God" signifies "no wrath of God," these are orthogonal concepts. The wrath of God has to do with His turning over those who have sinned to the consequences of their actions. For example:

Quote:
My anger (wrath) shall be aroused against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide My face from them, and they shall be devoured. And many evils and troubles shall befall them, so that they will say in that day, 'Have not these evils come upon us because our God is not among us?' And I will surely hide My face in that day because of all the [evil] which they have done, in that [they have turned to other gods]" (Deuteronomy 31:17, 18).

Similarly in Romans 1:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; ...

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

One more example:

Quote:
23Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;

24But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

25Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.(Romans 4)

Christ suffered the wrath of God by being "delivered" for our offences. (see Acts 2:22,23)

Here's what the angel said:

Quote:
Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject." (Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b)

From this we see that "frown of God" is talking about "condemnation." (see the underlined phrases). We see the reason that this "frown of God" or "condemnation" comes; the rejection of light. Since newborns (and 20+ week old fetuses) do not reject light, they do not experience the condemnation or frown of God spoken of here. As the angel puts is, "there is no sin."

Again, I don't understand why you think this has something to do with Christ's taking our sinful nature.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113468
05/22/09 05:17 PM
05/22/09 05:17 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela

Quote:
Why do you think Waggoner, Jones, Prescott and Haskell all argued so strongly against this? It was during this time that Jones wrote the articles in the Review and Herald that would later form a prominent part in his book "The Consecrated Way to Perfection."

The sinful tendencies of Christ’s humanity were a prominent aspect of their theology at all times, Tom, not just at this time. So this could hardly be considered an evidence that the holy flesh controversy revolved around this subject. In fact, Christ’s humanity was occasionally mentioned at this time in the Review as part of the theme which was receiving prominence – perfection – which, coincidently, was also the main theme of the holy flesh people.

No coincidence about it! Last generation perfection of the saints was church teaching in Adventism, until perhaps 1950-80: not sure when it was officially dropped. Their method of achieving it was an instant change of nature rather than a slow, steady change of character with a sinful nature. This method is wholly wrong, but it's based on a teaching of Christ himself having taken sinless, morally pure humanity, totally different to the church's position, not so, Rosangela?

Quote:
Quote:
Also during this time Ellen White penned her strongest statements in regards to Christ's taking our fallen nature. For example, Christ took "our sinful nature." Christ took our nature, "defiled and degraded by sin." "The nature of God, whose law had been transgressed, and the nature of Adam, the transgressor, meet in Jesus--the Son of God, and the Son of man."

There was no especial change in this period. Ellen White had been using such expressions long before the holy flesh controversy. For instance, in 1896 she said that Christ “took upon Him our sinful nature”, and in 1898 she said that Christ united “the offending nature of man with His own sinless nature”. On the other hand, during this period she also said, for instance, that Christ “vanquished Satan in the same nature over which in Eden Satan obtained the victory”, and that "He was to take His position at the head of humanity by taking the nature but not the sinfulness of man".
http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/wwhc/hoc-ab.htm

I've got that book, and he does a bad job of it. The 2nd group of statements cannot contradict the first, as he makes out it does, and you quote them as contrary - difficult to resolve. She wrote that theme her entire life, not just in her last 20 years. "Offensive nature", and "but not the sinfulness" appear polar opposites! Your other quotes, trying to back up the sinlessness
Quote:
perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin

actually points out the real difference: "Offensive nature" fits with this quote since "taint" refers to character, not the flesh itself, it having to be "offensive". Taint is like something added to the original, thus eg. guilt and sin on the life, not the nature; the original nature he took was sinfully offensive. Also,
Quote:
fallen but not corrupted

is unambiguous! infected nature but pure character. EGW couldn't have been clearer: that was church teaching, after all; different, now.

Quote:
Quote:

But of course, Rosangela! But, we are born sinfully minded, not carnally mind, agreed? Carnality results from sinful mind agreeing with sinful flesh.

The old and new covenant options for us are using the carnal mind or the Spirit-filled mind to relate to Christ and his righteousness. Jesus, having taken our offensive nature, never wavered from the Spirit-filled mind he was conceived & born with, rejecting while being burdened, all the way to his righteous death, with the sinful mind natural to us all. Don't know whether you agree with the previous sentence, though!

That fulness of man Jesus was is why Ellen White said he had to do that to be a fitting Example to us.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Colin] #113469
05/22/09 08:32 PM
05/22/09 08:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Last generation perfection of the saints was church teaching in Adventism...Their method of achieving it was an instant change of nature rather than a slow, steady change of character with a sinful nature. This method is wholly wrong, but it's based on a teaching of Christ himself having taken sinless, morally pure humanity...

Good points. Their methodology was wrong because it was based on a false premise. Given this to be the case, it makes perfect sense that the church focused its attention on that false premise.

Quote:
Infected nature but pure character. EGW couldn't have been clearer

I agree. Prescott said that Christ had sinful flesh, exactly like that which we bear, but Christ never sinned in the flesh of sin, whereas we all have. That sets out the difference clearly as well. The equipment was the same, but the performance was different.

Quote:
Rosangela! But, we are born sinfully minded, not carnally mind, agreed? Carnality results from sinful mind agreeing with sinful flesh.

This is an interesting way of putting it. I take it by "sinfully minded" you mean "with a nature predisposed to sin." Personally I'd stay away from "sinfully minded" as that seems too liable to being misunderstood. You wouldn't say Christ was "sinfully minded," would you? But we could say that Christ took a nature which was predisposed to sin, and which would have resulted in sin, had Christ not relied upon divine power to overcome those predispositions.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113479
05/23/09 02:42 AM
05/23/09 02:42 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
a)Clearly Christology was the driving factor in the false theology. This is where most of the attention was directed.

I disagree completely. The opposite is true – they started with the theology of victory over sin and from there they went to Christology.

This is what Ida V. Hadley wrote to Ellen White (June 1, 1900):

"My husband and I stand alone openly, as far as the ministry of the word is concerned, an to this so called 'New Light,' which is sprung up, and preparations being made to thoroughly present to the whole state [of Indiana].”

She sent the following questions to Ellen White. They all were apparently related to teachings in Indiana;

1. Was Mary's body made holy, sinless, in her flesh, before conception, so that Christ was born from sinless flesh, and His own body sinless flesh of itself? Heb. 10:5.
2. Will any one give the Loud Cry [Rev. 18] only those who will compose the 144,000? [sic]
3. Does John 14:12 [doing greater works than Christ] refer only to the 144,000?
4. Does 1 John 3:2 [shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is] refer to the time of conversion or to Christ’s second coming?
5. In 'Healthful Living,' 3d ed., p 17, sec. 35 [‘God’s law is written by his own finger upon every nerve, every muscle, every faculty which has been entrusted to man’], these brethren say means that the flesh, by the law, is made holy, sinless from top to toe.' Is it?
6. Is it Bible doctrine that men need never have died, but all been translated, if they only had grasped the ‘translation faith.' That that was why Enoch and Elijah was translated because they grasped this act, rather than others? John 11:26 [Whoever lives and believes in Me, shall never die]?
7. Is conversion a change of flesh, from sinful to sinless?
8. In Matt. 9:17 [new wine in new bottles and both are preserved] , does the word ‘bottles’ represent the hearts, or the literal flesh – the whole body?
9. Has the word ‘belief’ a deeper significance than the word ‘faith’?
10. Are we to get the idea from the [Ellen White] statement in the ‘Review.’ February 27 that ‘God would have his people converted in 1900’ that probation ends this year with His people who give the message? [R S Donnell frequently quoted this Ellen White statement from the February 27, 1900, RH: ‘The Lord calls upon his people in 1900 to be converted. The Lord can not purify the soul until the entire being is surrendered to the working of the Holy Spirit.’]
1.. Could the kingdom of heaven have been set up when Jesus was here if the people of God – the Jews – had been ready, had accepted the message of John the Baptist?
12. If John the Baptist had been permitted to live and go on with his work, would there have been then 144,000 purified pieces of humanity, ready for translation, and the work finished 1900 yrs. ago?
13. Is it possible for us to arrive at that place in our experience where we do not always have to be overcomers?
14. Is it a fact that we have no place to call people to until we have received the Laodicean Message, and it cleansed us, it being the Loud Cry of the Third Angel? Rev. 18:4
15. Is it possible to get where we will not be tempted from within, before Christ comes?
16. Do the scriptures teach that there is a difference between born sons and adopted sons; that adopted sons go to dust, and born sons are translated?
17. Does not Jer. 15:19 [take forth the precious from the vile] with other scriptures, teach us that there should be caution used in mingling with the churches that God calls Babylon?
18. Does 1 Cor. 6:19 [body as temple of the Holy Ghost] have bearing on the thought of sinless flesh?

As Haloviak says, “It seems apparent from the thrust of these questions that the core of the Indiana apostasy dealt with last generation presuppositions and focused internally rather than upon Christ or His nature. Questions 2 to 8 all focus upon believers, not upon Christ. Question 1 becomes relevant only in its presupposition about what the believer who would be translated must become.” (From Righteousness to Holy Flesh, p. 31, 32).

It’s clear that Donnell first created his theory about what the 144,000 must become, and then applied this to Christ. And I believe Jones and Waggoner did the same. People first became concerned with victory over sin, then they devised a method of achieving it and, on the basis of this method, attributed a nature to Christ.

Quote:
b)This opposition started immediately, upon confronting the HF error, and continued in the HF teachings were defeated.

I don’t think there was complete opposition. They had similar emphases in “translation faith,” and in the fact that "perfect holiness embraces the flesh as well as the spirit; it includes the body as well as the soul" (Jones); and both had “overstrained ideas of sanctification.”

Quote:
c)Ellen White stated there was not a thread of truth in the whole fabric. Therefore the Christology was false, as this was the basis of the "whole fabric."

Well, your contention was that Ellen White disagreed with her friend Haskell who, in writing to her, described the holy flesh movement as “a mixture of truth and error” (Haskell to Ellen White, September 25, 1900). As I said previously, even Satan mixes truth and error, but if you think you must take Ellen White’s words literally, what can I do?

Quote:
d)You are on the HF side of this controversy (the Christological part).

Could you please explain how I can be “in the HF side of this controversy (the Christological part)” if I don’t believe Christ had holy flesh? It’s like saying that I am on the post-lapsarian side of this controversy (the Christological part) because I believe that Christ had fallen flesh. To me neither party is completely wrong, and neither party is completely right.

Quote:
e)That Ellen White was on the HF side of the controversy (regarding the Christology) is impossible

I agree, since she didn’t believe Christ had holy flesh.

Quote:
Regarding the statement you cited, clearly she is saying "in human nature" regarding defeating Christ in the same nature that Adam was defeated in. She wasn't saying that Christ defeated in Satan in the nature of Adam the unfallen, or else she'd be contradicting herself, as she writes that the nature of Adam "the transgressor" united with the nature of God. I have no idea why you mentioned this quote.

To demonstrate that, contrarily to what you say, Ellen White saw no significant differences between a nature with tendencies to sin and a nature without tendencies to sin in what respects Satan’s temptations.

Quote:
I don't understand at all the drastic separation you make between Ellen White and the others.

So your contention is that there is no difference between Ellen White’s writings and Jones and Waggoner’s writings. Is this your position?

Quote:
The reason the law of heredity transmits to us a carnal mind is because we've all sinned.

??? Don’t you think there is a contradiction here? Does the law of heredity, then, in your view, transmit to us a sinful mind, a carnal mind, a neutral mind, or what? We are born with a mind. What kind of mind is it?

Quote:
5.Regarding your statement that "no frown of God" signifies "no wrath of God," these are orthogonal concepts. The wrath of God has to do with His turning over those who have sinned to the consequences of their actions.

??? The wrath of God is the manifestation of His hatred against sin.
Rom. 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men

Quote:
From this we see that "frown of God" is talking about "condemnation."

No, the angel is talking about both the condemnation of sin and the frown of God – two different things, IMO. By the way, what, to you, is a sin of ignorance?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113480
05/23/09 02:43 AM
05/23/09 02:43 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Hi, Colin! I'll reply to your posts tomorrow.

Reply Quote
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!