HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,676
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, daylily, TheophilusOne), 2,319 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125481
05/19/10 09:02 PM
05/19/10 09:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Yes, in my opinion also it is not more difficult but requires more effort. You both have helped me to clarify my thought.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125482
05/19/10 10:23 PM
05/19/10 10:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Arnold, according to the logic of your argument, Christ could not have fallen into temptation, right? If you disagree with this conclusion, please explain to me, given the assumptions you're making, how this could have happened.

Jesus could have fallen into temptation, but only if He decided to stop depending on the Father and the Holy Spirit. But while dependent and submitted to God, man cannot sin, including Jesus.

If Jesus could do this, then so could any other converted person, so the assertion that a converted person cannot sin is false. You can assert that a converted person cannot sin, and have it be a true statement, as long as you carefully clarify the statement, as you did above in reference to Christ, but as you originally stated it, unqualified, it's false. That is, you said:

Quote:
Actually, I believe that *after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit*, one is ALREADY saved. In that condition, falling into temptation is impossible.

This isn't true, as a person in this condition could do the same thing you said Jesus Christ could do, which to decide to stop depending on God. A converted person can do this at any time.

It looks like what you really meant to say was that a converted person cannot sin, provided said person does not decide to stop depending on God.

So this would make taking the two paths come down to either resisting God, or depending upon Him. Which is more difficult?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125483
05/19/10 10:25 PM
05/19/10 10:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, in my opinion also it is not more difficult but requires more effort. You both have helped me to clarify my thought.

Likewise I've appreciated the discussion.

To be clear, the narrow path is the easier path because God's love makes it difficult for the lost to destroy themselves. We're in agreement on this point?

When you say it requires more effort, this means that it requires more effort to serve God than it does to fight against Him, right?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125484
05/20/10 01:02 AM
05/20/10 01:02 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
To be clear, the narrow path is the easier path because God's love makes it difficult for the lost to destroy themselves. We're in agreement on this point?

Yes. In addition, I would say the narrow path is the easier path because God bears the weight of every burden.

Quote:
When you say it requires more effort, this means that it requires more effort to serve God than it does to fight against Him, right?

No, I mean that, in an evil world, it requires more effort to fight against evil than to go with it. As I said in my post #125470, the difficulty, the effort, doesn't come at all from serving Christ, but from the machinations of the enemy.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125485
05/20/10 05:40 AM
05/20/10 05:40 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It looks like what you really meant to say was that a converted person cannot sin, provided said person does not decide to stop depending on God.

If a person is not depending on God, is he converted?

I answer most vehemently, No! He has reverted to his lost condition. He is diverted from his high calling. He has been subverted from the Rock of his salvation. He has been perverted from holiness. He is many kinds of "verted" but converted isn't one of them.

Do you disagree?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125488
05/20/10 06:56 PM
05/20/10 06:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:To be clear, the narrow path is the easier path because God's love makes it difficult for the lost to destroy themselves. We're in agreement on this point?

R:Yes. In addition, I would say the narrow path is the easier path because God bears the weight of every burden.

Very nice!!

Quote:
T:When you say it requires more effort, this means that it requires more effort to serve God than it does to fight against Him, right?

R:No, I mean that, in an evil world, it requires more effort to fight against evil than to go with it.

The effort involved in serving God is exactly the same effort involved as that required to fight against evil, right? Aren't these synonymous? If not, what additional effort is involved in fighting evil that is not involved in serving God?

The effort involved to go along with evil is the same effort involves as fighting against God, isn't it? A point I've been making is that God isn't passive in His workings with us. It requires effort to go along with evil, and that effort is precisely the effort to fight against God.

Therefore is the effort to fight evil is greater than the effort to go along with it, it follows that the effort to serve God is greater than the effort to fight against Him. The only way around this is to somehow distinguish between the effort involved between fighting evil and serving God, or between going along with it and fighting against God.

Quote:
As I said in my post #125470, the difficulty, the effort, doesn't come at all from serving Christ, but from the machinations of the enemy.

The difficulty in fighting against God comes from resisting the pangs of the conscience and the promptings of the Holy Spirit. God loves us too much to let us go without a fight. In Acts of the Apostles it says that the Holy Spirit is constantly seeking to draw the attention of men to the love of God revealed at the cross (not the exact words, but the concept). This means the resistance must be constant. This is hard work, even if work that one is not conscious of it.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125489
05/20/10 07:08 PM
05/20/10 07:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, you wrote this:

Quote:
Actually, I believe that *after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit*, one is ALREADY saved. In that condition, falling into temptation is impossible.

The "that condition," in the context of what I said, is being converted. You are saying that as long as one is in a converted condition, one cannot fall into temptation. But any converted person can choose to fall into temptation, so this simply isn't true. To say that one must revert before doing so doesn't help matters because one reverts precisely by falling into temptation.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125490
05/20/10 07:41 PM
05/20/10 07:41 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, you wrote this:

Quote:

The "that condition," in the context of what I said, is being converted. You are saying that as long as one is in a converted condition, one cannot fall into temptation.

I wrote the words, "that condition," didn't I? So doesn't it make more sense to take those words in the context of what I said, rather than what you said? Hermeneutics.

Anyhow, I see no difference. When you spoke of conversion, you qualified it with "after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit." That's the condition we are speaking of, right?

In that condition, one does not sin.

But any converted person can choose to fall into temptation, so this simply isn't true. To say that one must revert before doing so doesn't help matters because one reverts precisely by falling into temptation.

While one is converted, in Christ, born again, whatever you want to call it, he cannot fall.
Quote:
Jude 1:24
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

Falling into temptation requires separating from God's grace first.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125491
05/20/10 08:10 PM
05/20/10 08:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I wrote the words, "that condition," didn't I?

Yes, in reference to what I had written.

Quote:
So doesn't it make more sense to take those words in the context of what I said, rather than what you said? Hermeneutics.

No, not really. You responded to what *I* wrote. Hermeneutics. smile

Quote:
Anyhow, I see no difference. When you spoke of conversion, you qualified it with "after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit." That's the condition we are speaking of, right?

In that condition, one does not sin.

Unless one chooses to, which one can, at any moment. So one doesn't sin as long as one remains in the condition of not sinning, which is true, but circular.

Quote:
T:But any converted person can choose to fall into temptation, so this simply isn't true. To say that one must revert before doing so doesn't help matters because one reverts precisely by falling into temptation.

A:While one is converted, in Christ, born again, whatever you want to call it, he cannot fall.

Again, this looks circular. You look to be saying that as long as one doesn't fall one can't fall. A converted person, in Christ, born again, whatever you want to call it, *can* fall into temptation.

Quote:

You're presented with a temptation. You consider the temptation, and decide to do it, and so fall into temptation. Are you saying you have to separate from God's grace before you consider the temptation, or before deciding to do the temptation?

Regardless if you wish to add some in between step or steps, it would still be false to claim that a born again person cannot fall into temptation.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125494
05/20/10 09:24 PM
05/20/10 09:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
I wrote the words, "that condition," didn't I?

Yes, in reference to what I had written.

Quote:
So doesn't it make more sense to take those words in the context of what I said, rather than what you said? Hermeneutics.

No, not really. You responded to what *I* wrote. Hermeneutics. smile

Right. And most of our differences come down to hermeneutics.

I am of the firm opinion that when I wrote "that condition" in my post, I know best what "that" was referring to. However, others may hold a different opinion.

A converted person, in Christ, born again, whatever you want to call it, *can* fall into temptation.

"Whoever is born of God does not sin; he cannot sin because God's Seed remains in him." I'm going to stick with this promise.

Quote:

You're presented with a temptation. You consider the temptation, and decide to do it, and so fall into temptation. Are you saying you have to separate from God's grace before you consider the temptation, or before deciding to do the temptation?

Regardless if you wish to add some in between step or steps, it would still be false to claim that a born again person cannot fall into temptation.

"You consider the temptation, and decide to do it." Is such a person still being led by the Holy Spirit? Can a person filled with the Spirit choose to sin?

Perhaps that's where we differ. I am convinced that humanity and divinity combined does not commit sin.

Hence, my answer to the question "Why do we sin?" is simple: We are not combined with divinity.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!