HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,671
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (TheophilusOne, dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,781 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127367
09/04/10 08:11 PM
09/04/10 08:11 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike,

I think your list has some serious issues with the biblical testimony where all are equal as sinners and all are equal as being offered salvation.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127368
09/04/10 08:21 PM
09/04/10 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
They are Type II people, and, no, they are not in a saved state.

So you're basically saying that if a person has been "thoroughly instructed," either they are perfect/sinless or they aren't in a saved condition. That is, any "thoroughly instructed" person is either "1) abiding in Jesus, 2) walking in the Spirit and in the mind of the new man, 3) partaking of the divine nature, and 4) living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded" or is not saved.

This is a problematic position to take.

You've included knowing God's character as a part of this, including what happens at the judgment. You've sort of waffled in your position regarding whether God sets people on fire to make them burn alive, so I don't know what you're present position is, but you've included this as a part of the "thorough instruction." But there's wide disagreement on this point! Who's to decide what it means to be "thoroughly instructed"? Surely if one is instructed incorrectly, that can't count.

What about Christ's human nature? Is that an essential item? Can a person be a Type 1 person if (s)he believes Christ partook of the nature of Adam before the fall?

What about subjects like women's ordination? Do these count? Or are they not a part of the "everything that Jesus commanded"?

What about health principles? If one doesn't exercise enough, are they disqualified? Or if they eat in between meals? Or eat sugar?

Where do you draw the line for these types of things? And where did you get such an idea from?

I understand where Rosangela is coming from in saying there are basically two groups. In terms of being saved, the criteria is if one has faith in Christ or not. Jesus said that whosoever believed in Him would not perish but have everlasting life. He didn't add other items to the list, so we shouldn't either. Salvation is by faith alone in Jesus Christ. Ellen White agrees! (she says exactly this, and says it's something that can't be repeated too often).

It's true that genuineness of our faith will be demonstrated by our works, but we need to be very careful that we don't make good works the means instead of the fruit.

The New Covenant is to have the law written in the heart and mind. Jesus said, "The Kingdom of God is within you." These statements point to an internal transformation. This is what's important. We need to be converted, transformed from within. This happens when we accept Christ as our personal savior. This is the way of salvation.

Ellen White explains it clearly here:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8. {DA 175.5}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: vastergotland] #127374
09/05/10 04:12 AM
09/05/10 04:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Mike,

I think your list has some serious issues with the biblical testimony where all are equal as sinners and all are equal as being offered salvation.

By "offered salvation" do you mean they are in a saved state, that they are heaven-bound? Or, do you differentiate between those who are offered salvation and those who are living in a saved state?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127375
09/05/10 04:20 AM
09/05/10 04:20 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you agree Type II people (see description above) are living in an unsaved state? If not, please explain why.

Also, do you agree Type I people have a correct understanding of saving truth and are living in harmony in with everything Jesus commanded? If not, please describe what it takes? Can people live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and not have a correct understanding of certain saving truths?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127376
09/05/10 05:01 AM
09/05/10 05:01 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Mike,

By "offered salvation" do you mean they are in a saved state, that they are heaven-bound? Or, do you differentiate between those who are offered salvation and those who are living in a saved state?
I think I am doing such a differentiation. I am opposing the idea that there is a hierarchy among the saints. Alike the RC teaching that some saints are saints, other saints are merely blessed and then there are all the rest who need some time in purgatory to finish the purification process..

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: vastergotland] #127378
09/05/10 02:21 PM
09/05/10 02:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, so, do you see a difference between 1) people who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and 2) people who are living up to the light they have received but who are ignorant of certain saving truths and 3) people who are living in harmony with their convictions and conscience but who have never heard of Jesus and the Bible?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127381
09/05/10 03:37 PM
09/05/10 03:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM

I know this was addressed to Thomas, but the answer is so obvious, I can't help responding. The difference is that some have accepted the offer while others have not. Also obvious, Thomas did mean that all are in a saved state, because he referred to "all" being offered salvation. Those who accept the offer are in a saved state, while those who don't are not.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #127383
09/05/10 03:42 PM
09/05/10 03:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Tom, do you agree Type II people (see description above) are living in an unsaved state? If not, please explain why.

EGW explains that unless we resist the love of God shining from the cross, we will be led to the cross in repentance for our sin, the law will be written on the heart, etc. So those who are resisting the Holy Spirit are in an unsaved state, while those who respond to the Holy Spirit are in a saved state.

Quote:
Also, do you agree Type I people have a correct understanding of saving truth and are living in harmony in with everything Jesus commanded?

No, not as I'm using the term.

Quote:
If not, please describe what it takes?

I did. It's what it says in the EGW quote I provided. Those few in every generation who resist every artifice of the enemy.

Quote:
Can people live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and not have a correct understanding of certain saving truths?

Sure. It's not dependent upon knowledge, but light; that is, how one responds to the light that one has. Enoch is a prime example of this. There were things he didn't understand. For example, he didn't know there would be a resurrection or a judgment until God revealed these things to him in a dream, yet he was described as walking with God.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #127388
09/05/10 05:15 PM
09/05/10 05:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you think Enoch was sinning ignorantly before he learned the truth about the resurrection and the judgment?

Also, I'm trying to define/describe people who have a correct understanding of all saving truth and who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded; however, you keep referring to people who are living in a saved state even though they are ignorant of certain saving truths and are, therefore, not living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded. With this mind I would like to ask a favor - I would appreciate it you would post Bible and SOP passages which you believe define/describe the people I defined/described above. Thank you.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127389
09/05/10 05:19 PM
09/05/10 05:19 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
It is my understanding that IF there exists a difference between your groups 1 and 2, only God can tell the difference. I think there is a difference between group 1/2 and 3, but again, only God can tell what exactly that difference is.

Galatians 2

Reply Quote
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!