HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,649
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127390
09/05/10 05:29 PM
09/05/10 05:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, do you think Enoch was sinning ignorantly before he learned the truth about the resurrection and the judgment?
I am curious, which sin would being ignorant of the resurrection allow you to do unknowingly?
Quote:

Also, I'm trying to define/describe people who have a correct understanding of all saving truth and who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded; however, you keep referring to people who are living in a saved state even though they are ignorant of certain saving truths and are, therefore, not living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded. With this mind I would like to ask a favor - I would appreciate it you would post Bible and SOP passages which you believe define/describe the people I defined/described above. Thank you.
As we know that revealed truth is progressive, the full scope of revelation was deeper and wider at the time of Isaiah than it had been at the time of Joshua, how can we call out Joshua for being ignorant of things only revealed through Isaiahs prophecy or Jesus example? Imagen that the revelation is not complete presently, then none of us could be living up to everything Jesus commanded (because even though Jesus will command it in the future, it has not yet been done). That God knows as if it was history about the command Jesus will give us in 40 years doesnt help us. We would still be unable to live up to the complete revelation by default, so to speak.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: vastergotland] #127393
09/05/10 06:10 PM
09/05/10 06:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, do you think Enoch was sinning ignorantly before he learned the truth about the resurrection and the judgment?

I would have no way of knowing. I have no reason to think that he was.

Quote:
Also, I'm trying to define/describe people who have a correct understanding of all saving truth and who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded; however, you keep referring to people who are living in a saved state even though they are ignorant of certain saving truths and are, therefore, not living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded. With this mind I would like to ask a favor - I would appreciate it you would post Bible and SOP passages which you believe define/describe the people I defined/described above. Thank you.

I don't think your definitions/descriptions are in harmony with inspiration, so I can't do that.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: vastergotland] #127395
09/05/10 07:08 PM
09/05/10 07:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
M: Thomas, so, do you see a difference between 1) people who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and 2) people who are living up to the light they have received but who are ignorant of certain saving truths and 3) people who are living in harmony with their convictions and conscience but who have never heard of Jesus and the Bible?

V: It is my understanding that IF there exists a difference between your groups 1 and 2, only God can tell the difference. I think there is a difference between group 1/2 and 3, but again, only God can tell what exactly that difference is.

Jesus said we can know them by their fruits. We can also discern, without passing judgment, whether or not someone is ignorantly violating the seventh-day Sabbath. Do you think, based on this simple insight, that it is possible tell the difference between groups 1 and 2? And, are you sure only God can tell the difference between the first two groups and the third group? For example, is it difficult or impossible to tell the difference between people who are familiar with the name of Jesus and the Bible and those who have never heard of Jesus and the Bible?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: vastergotland] #127396
09/05/10 07:15 PM
09/05/10 07:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
M: Tom, do you think Enoch was sinning ignorantly before he learned the truth about the resurrection and the judgment?

V: I am curious, which sin would being ignorant of the resurrection allow you to do unknowingly?[quote]
Good question. i don't the answer. Perhaps Tom does.

[quote]M: Also, I'm trying to define/describe people who have a correct understanding of all saving truth and who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded; however, you keep referring to people who are living in a saved state even though they are ignorant of certain saving truths and are, therefore, not living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded. With this mind I would like to ask a favor - I would appreciate it you would post Bible and SOP passages which you believe define/describe the people I defined/described above. Thank you.

V: As we know that revealed truth is progressive, the full scope of revelation was deeper and wider at the time of Isaiah than it had been at the time of Joshua, how can we call out Joshua for being ignorant of things only revealed through Isaiahs prophecy or Jesus example? Imagen that the revelation is not complete presently, then none of us could be living up to everything Jesus commanded (because even though Jesus will command it in the future, it has not yet been done). That God knows as if it was history about the command Jesus will give us in 40 years doesnt help us. We would still be unable to live up to the complete revelation by default, so to speak.

Do you believe saving truth was gradually revealed from Adam to John? And, do you believe there is more saving truth Jesus has yet to reveal?

PS - By "saving truth" I mean truth necessary to live without sinning.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127397
09/05/10 07:25 PM
09/05/10 07:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Jesus said that we could know the false prophet from his or her fruit. He also said a tree is recognised by its fruit. There is no obvious reason why a christian who has not been made aware of all available light would bear bad fruit. Notice that Jesus never suggests we would be able to tell a good fruit from a slightly better fruit. Further, we live according to our best understanding of who the Truth is. This is also true of the Christian next door who have a slightly different understanding of who the Truth is. Both I and the Christian next door cant be the one living in perfect harmony with all the revelation at the same time according to your definitions. But only presumption would cause me to think I can judge fairly in a case where my own case is being considered. Therefore only God can truly tell the difference between me and my Christian brother next door who do not share my understanding in all points.

I did not say only God can tell the difference between the 1/2 group and the 3rd group. I said only God can tell what exactly that difference is [worth]. It is not difficult to investigate if a particular person has ever heard of Jesus or not. It is impossible to tell what difference this makes before the Throne or Grace (as for a person in your 3rd group).

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127398
09/05/10 07:50 PM
09/05/10 07:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Quote:
M: Also, I'm trying to define/describe people who have a correct understanding of all saving truth and who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded; however, you keep referring to people who are living in a saved state even though they are ignorant of certain saving truths and are, therefore, not living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded. With this mind I would like to ask a favor - I would appreciate it you would post Bible and SOP passages which you believe define/describe the people I defined/described above. Thank you.

V: As we know that revealed truth is progressive, the full scope of revelation was deeper and wider at the time of Isaiah than it had been at the time of Joshua, how can we call out Joshua for being ignorant of things only revealed through Isaiahs prophecy or Jesus example? Imagen that the revelation is not complete presently, then none of us could be living up to everything Jesus commanded (because even though Jesus will command it in the future, it has not yet been done). That God knows as if it was history about the command Jesus will give us in 40 years doesnt help us. We would still be unable to live up to the complete revelation by default, so to speak.

Do you believe saving truth was gradually revealed from Adam to John? And, do you believe there is more saving truth Jesus has yet to reveal?

PS - By "saving truth" I mean truth necessary to live without sinning.

I believe Truth was gradually revealed between Noah (Adam, having walked with Truth in the garden, who can tell what else he had to learn about Truth) and John, and considering Jesus words; 12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Based on these words, I find it possible, probable even, that the gradual revelation of who the Truth is has continued beyond John. The understanding of the trinity is one example of this.

I do not know if there is more Truth yet to be revealed, nor do I think it would be a cause of concern for us living now if there is. God has revealed what we who live in this age need to know to find the Saviour. If a future generation need more information, God will address this when the time comes.

I gave the example in the quoted post to point to some issues I think your views have.

"Saving truth" is a person, Jesus, Son of God, Word from before Creation, Saviour of the fallen, Redeemer of that which was lost, second Person of the triune God.

Galatians 2

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #127399
09/05/10 08:03 PM
09/05/10 08:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Can people live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and not have a correct understanding of certain saving truths?

T: Sure. It's not dependent upon knowledge, but light; that is, how one responds to the light that one has. Enoch is a prime example of this. There were things he didn't understand. For example, he didn't know there would be a resurrection or a judgment until God revealed these things to him in a dream, yet he was described as walking with God.

M: Tom, do you think Enoch was sinning ignorantly before he learned the truth about the resurrection and the judgment?

T: I would have no way of knowing. I have no reason to think that he was.

Again, can people live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and not have a correct understanding of certain saving truths? By "saving truth" I mean truth necessary to live without sinning, truths necessary to be translated alive when Jesus returns.

Quote:
M: Also, I'm trying to define/describe people who have a correct understanding of all saving truth and who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded; however, you keep referring to people who are living in a saved state even though they are ignorant of certain saving truths and are, therefore, not living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded. With this mind I would like to ask a favor - I would appreciate it you would post Bible and SOP passages which you believe define/describe the people I defined/described above. Thank you.

T: I don't think your definitions/descriptions are in harmony with inspiration, so I can't do that.

Does the Bible or the SOP define/describe people who understand all saving truths and are living without sinning? If so, please post some of them. I assume you and I will agree that the passages defining/describing the 144,000 reflect what I'm asking, but what about before probation closes, what about now?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127400
09/05/10 08:10 PM
09/05/10 08:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, I'm having a hard time nailing down what you believe as it relates to saving truth like the seventh-day Sabbath. Do you believe people will be translated alive when Jesus arrives who have never kept the seven-day Sabbath?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127402
09/05/10 09:36 PM
09/05/10 09:36 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
The Truth which saves is Jesus Christ.

Translation alive surely is founded in 1 Corinthians chapter 15. What is the emphasis on teaching found there? The resurrection of Jesus and the resurrection of the dead. Wider context would be the proper use of the gifts of the Spirit, with the 13th chapter pointing out what is proper.

Saving truths like the seventh day sabbath.. who can tell...

Galatians 2

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: vastergotland] #127405
09/05/10 11:55 PM
09/05/10 11:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Can people live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and not have a correct understanding of certain saving truths?

T: Sure. It's not dependent upon knowledge, but light; that is, how one responds to the light that one has. Enoch is a prime example of this. There were things he didn't understand. For example, he didn't know there would be a resurrection or a judgment until God revealed these things to him in a dream, yet he was described as walking with God.

T: I would have no way of knowing. I have no reason to think that he was.

M:Again, can people live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded and not have a correct understanding of certain saving truths?

To be saved, the only "saving truth" that's necessary to know is not to resist the Holy Spirit as He reveals the love of God shining from the cross.

Quote:
By "saving truth" I mean truth necessary to live without sinning, truths necessary to be translated alive when Jesus returns.

That's an odd term to use. "Saving truth" means truth that's necessary to be saved, one would think.

Quote:

T: I don't think your definitions/descriptions are in harmony with inspiration, so I can't do that.

M:Does the Bible or the SOP define/describe people who understand all saving truths and are living without sinning? If so, please post some of them. I assume you and I will agree that the passages defining/describing the 144,000 reflect what I'm asking, but what about before probation closes, what about now?

I think inspiration deals more in terms of reproducing Christ's character. I think it's necessary to know that character to reproduce it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!