HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,663
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Daryl, daylily, ProdigalOne, 3 invisible), 3,020 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 103 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128024
10/06/10 04:28 PM
10/06/10 04:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Kland, the future plays out as if God knows nothing about it.
Yes, I think you've said that before.

What I'm asking is, assuming you still believe God knows the future and it's multi-threaded, can you contrast that with an example of God knowing the future but it's single-threaded? This would help me understand what you believe. Since what you've defined so far seems contradictory to me, if you contrast those items, I can better understand it and won't need to keep asking you.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #128027
10/06/10 04:55 PM
10/06/10 04:55 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
No, it isn't. We've already discussed this at the beginning of this thread. What Ellen White is saying is that the church could have gotten ready for Christ's coming at that time, that is, that it had the ability to achieve this goal (although God knew this wouldn't happen).

No, this isn't the case. I think in 1903, she wrote that Christ was disappointed that He couldn't come. Christ is omniscient.

She wasn't communicating that the church had the ability to do something, but that Christ could have come.

Quote:
We have the privilege of hastening Christ’s coming – the date of Christ’s coming depends on His church – when the church reflects Christ’s character, this will arouse the persecution of the world, humanity will be divided into two classes, and the world will get ripe for Christ’s coming. But God already knows when all this will occur, so He determined the date for Christ’s coming based on this knowledge.

This is self-contradictory. "Hasten Christ's coming" means to cause it to occur more quickly. If the date is already set, obviously we can't do anything to change it one way or the other. It's unfortunate that many SDA's have this way of thinking, that what they do doesn't make any different, and we just have to be ready for Christ's coming, whenever it is, whenever the set date occurs.

Quote:
If the members had chosen to dedicate themselves entirely to God earlier, Christ could have come earlier.
If the majority of members choose to dedicate themselves entirely to God now, the church may be ready next month.

It couldn't happen that quickly. Also, it's not dependent upon a majority. That will never happen. Also, it's not a question of numbers, but of quality. Also Christ's body is not the SDA church.

Quote:
But suppose the majority of members don’t make this decision, then the church will be ready only in ten years. It could be five years, or 25 years, or 100 years – this depends on several factors and is related to the free will of the members. But God knows exactly when the church will finally get ready, and He fixed the date for Christ's coming having this in view.

The date for Christ's coming could not have been fixed because in that case it could not be hastened (or delayed, for that matter).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128028
10/06/10 05:03 PM
10/06/10 05:03 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In 1859 she wrote that Christ could have come before now, meaning that Christ could have come before the time that she wrote this, which would be before 1859.

Ah, I didn't know you meant, "before". How much before? Do you think before Ellen White?

Not before 1844. However, I think shortly after, like a few years after, would have been possible. Not just possible, but likely God's plan, I believe. I believe God has been working to bring sin to an end as quickly as possible since it began, and the judgment will reveal this fact. But God has been frustrated in His plans throughout history, and continues to be so. However, we know eventually Christ will come. The following quote comes to mind:

Quote:
Those who think of the result of hastening or hindering the gospel think of it in relation to themselves and to the world. Few think of its relation to God. Few give thought to the suffering that sin has caused our Creator. All heaven suffered in Christ's agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God. Every departure from the right, every deed of cruelty, every failure of humanity to reach His ideal, brings grief to Him. When there came upon Israel the calamities that were the sure result of separation from God,--subjugation by their enemies, cruelty, and death, --it is said that "His soul was grieved for the misery of Israel." "In all their affliction He was afflicted: . . . and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old." Judges 10:16; Isaiah 63:9. {Ed 263.1}

If one considers the type, there were 359 days, I guess, corresponding to the daily ministry and 1 day for the yearly. That would correspond to something like 5 years in real time, meaning that Christ would have come in 1849, to keep the pattern. That seems like a reasonable amount of time.

It takes time for character to be formed and tested, and for there to be time for the world to be made aware of the Gospel, and have time to respond. Christ's ministry was for 3 and 1/2 years, and there are those who consider that to be a reasonable guess as to how long a preparation is needed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128030
10/06/10 09:26 PM
10/06/10 09:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
No, this isn't the case. I think in 1903, she wrote that Christ was disappointed that He couldn't come. Christ is omniscient.

Yes, but He wish He had come long ago.

Quote:
She wasn't communicating that the church had the ability to do something, but that Christ could have come.

??? One thing depends on the other. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

Quote:
This is self-contradictory. "Hasten Christ's coming" means to cause it to occur more quickly. If the date is already set, obviously we can't do anything to change it one way or the other.

If the church gets ready earlier, Christ comes earlier, if it gets ready later, Christ comes later. But God knows when the church will finally get ready.

Quote:
It couldn't happen that quickly. Also, it's not dependent upon a majority. That will never happen. Also, it's not a question of numbers, but of quality. Also Christ's body is not the SDA church.

The great outpouring of the Spirit of God, which lightens the whole earth with His glory, will not come until we have an enlightened people, that know by experience what it means to be laborers together with God. When we have entire, wholehearted consecration to the service of Christ, God will recognize the fact by an outpouring of His Spirit without measure; but this will not be while the largest portion of the church are not laborers together with God.--Review and Herald, July 21, 1896. {ChS 253.2}

Quote:
The date for Christ's coming could not have been fixed because in that case it could not be hastened (or delayed, for that matter).

Jesus said God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming. Is this true or not?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #128033
10/06/10 10:29 PM
10/06/10 10:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

R:Yes, but He wish He had come long ago.

This was in reference to the 1888 happenings. God gave a message to prepare for Christ's coming at that time. He was disappointed He couldn't come then.

Quote:
T:She wasn't communicating that the church had the ability to do something, but that Christ could have come.

R:One thing depends on the other. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

I don't know what your point is here. She said in 1859 that Christ could have come before then, meaning that Christ could have come before that time, meaning that God could not have known that He couldn't have come before that time.

Quote:
T:This is self-contradictory. "Hasten Christ's coming" means to cause it to occur more quickly. If the date is already set, obviously we can't do anything to change it one way or the other.

R:If the church gets ready earlier, Christ comes earlier, if it gets ready later, Christ comes later. But God knows when the church will finally get ready.

If Christ's coming is a set date, the church can only get ready immediately before that time. The church couldn't get ready at some other time, because then would Christ come then, and the date wouldn't be set.

These two are mutually exclusive:

1.The date for Christ's coming is set.
2.The date for Christ's coming can be changed (either hastened or delayed).

Put another way, if Christ's coming can be hastened, then its date is not set.

Quote:
T:It couldn't happen that quickly. Also, it's not dependent upon a majority. That will never happen. Also, it's not a question of numbers, but of quality. Also Christ's body is not the SDA church.

R:The great outpouring of the Spirit of God, which lightens the whole earth with His glory, will not come until we have an enlightened people, that know by experience what it means to be laborers together with God. When we have entire, wholehearted consecration to the service of Christ, God will recognize the fact by an outpouring of His Spirit without measure; but this will not be while the largest portion of the church are not laborers together with God.--Review and Herald, July 21, 1896. {ChS 253.2}

Including children, there are something like 30 million SDA's in the world. It's your understanding that until there are over 15 million SDA's who are entirely consecrated, the Holy Spirit won't be poured out? And this number is growing every day? (since the SDA church is growing).

Quote:
T:The date for Christ's coming could not have been fixed because in that case it could not be hastened (or delayed, for that matter).

R:Jesus said God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming. Is this true or not?

Yes, this is true. God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming in the same way He knows any conditional event, in a multi-threaded way.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128037
10/07/10 01:21 PM
10/07/10 01:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This was in reference to the 1888 happenings. God gave a message to prepare for Christ's coming at that time. He was disappointed He couldn't come then.

Yes, because He wished to come then. It could have been then, but the incredulity of the church prevented that. I don't see any problem here.

Quote:
T:She wasn't communicating that the church had the ability to do something, but that Christ could have come.

R:One thing depends on the other. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

T: I don't know what your point is here. She said in 1859 that Christ could have come before then, meaning that Christ could have come before that time, meaning that God could not have known that He couldn't have come before that time.

?? I don't see the meaning you are attributing to her words.

Quote:
If Christ's coming is a set date, the church can only get ready immediately before that time. The church couldn't get ready at some other time, because then would Christ come then, and the date wouldn't be set.

You are inverting things. God didn't set a date hoping, or determing, that the church should get ready immediately before that time. It's the opposite. Since He foresaw that the church would get ready at a given time, He fixed the date on that basis.

Quote:
Including children, there are something like 30 million SDA's in the world. It's your understanding that until there are over 15 million SDA's who are entirely consecrated, the Holy Spirit won't be poured out? And this number is growing every day? (since the SDA church is growing).

Many things will occur simultaneously, including the shaking, when many will abandon the faith. In this context, Ellen White says that when the largest portion of the church are laborers together with God, God will send the latter rain for the church to finish the work in the world.

Quote:
R:Jesus said God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming. Is this true or not?
T: Yes, this is true. God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming in the same way He knows any conditional event, in a multi-threaded way.

If God can't know the exact date, He doesn't know the date.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #128038
10/07/10 04:39 PM
10/07/10 04:39 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:This was in reference to the 1888 happenings. God gave a message to prepare for Christ's coming at that time. He was disappointed He couldn't come then.

R:Yes, because He wished to come then. It could have been then, but the incredulity of the church prevented that. I don't see any problem here.

It's just more evidence of the future being multi-threaded. Christ is omniscient, yet He was disappointed He couldn't come. This is only possible if the future is multi-threaded.

Quote:

T: I don't know what your point is here. She said in 1859 that Christ could have come before then, meaning that Christ could have come before that time, meaning that God could not have known that He couldn't have come before that time.

R:I don't see the meaning you are attributing to her words.

She said, "Christ could have come before now." The meaning I am attributing to her words is that it was possible for Christ to have come before the time she stated this.

Quote:
T:If Christ's coming is a set date, the church can only get ready immediately before that time. The church couldn't get ready at some other time, because then would Christ come then, and the date wouldn't be set.

R:You are inverting things. God didn't set a date hoping, or determing, that the church should get ready immediately before that time. It's the opposite. Since He foresaw that the church would get ready at a given time, He fixed the date on that basis.

I'm not saying God set a date at all. I'm pointing out that if a date is set, then Christ's coming couldn't be hastened or delayed.

To set a date is to fix it. If a date is fixed, it cannot be changed. If it cannot be changed, then Christ's coming can neither be hastened nor delayed. To "hasten," means to cause the date of Christ's return to be moved forward. In other words, to cause Christ to return sooner. To "delay" means to cause the date of Christ's return to be moved backward.

These concepts are mutually exclusive:

1.A date is set/fixed, which cannot be other than what it is.
2.A date can be changed, either moved forward (hastening) or moved backward (delayed).

Quote:

Many things will occur simultaneously, including the shaking, when many will abandon the faith. In this context, Ellen White says that when the largest portion of the church are laborers together with God, God will send the latter rain for the church to finish the work in the world.

But it's the latter rain/loud cry message which causes the shaking in the first place.

Quote:
T: Yes, this is true. God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming in the same way He knows any conditional event, in a multi-threaded way.

R:If God can't know the exact date, He doesn't know the date.

Greg Boyd has a nice explanation of this, but I don't remember where. It goes something like this:

"I have a teen-age daughter. I can say, 'I alone know the how she will be ready to date.' that doesn't imply I have set a date for that to happen." Something like that. That should be enough to get the idea.

I'll right a follow-up post to address the bottom line of our differences on this question.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128039
10/07/10 04:51 PM
10/07/10 04:51 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We've been discussing the possibility that the future is fixed (which I've referred to as "single-threaded", or that it is open ("multi-threaded"). I've made the following argument:

1.God knows things as they are.
2.Therefore, if God knows the future to be fixed (single-threaded), then the future is fixed (single-threaded).

Now we all agree that we experience the future as open, or multi-threaded. That is, from our perspective, we can alter the future. And this is the real issue were are dealing with. Can our decisions alter the future, or impact what God will do?

If the future is fixed (single-threaded), the answer is "no." Nothing we can do can alter the future, nor impact God's decisions, which are already set in stone, as God has already taken into account what we will do. If this is the case then:

1.We cannot hasten or delay Christ's coming.
2.We do not have free will, under the libertarian definition of the word.

Free will can be defined in different ways. One way is that we are free to do what we please. This is a less restrictive definition, and the definition that Calvinists use. One can read Edwards or Luther's work on the bondage of the will (both on line) to get a sense of the arguments involved. Basically the idea is that defining "free will" this way is compatible with a fixed future.

However, if we define "free will" to involve the ability to alter the future, then there is a logical inconsistency between this concept of "free will" and a fixed, or single-threaded, future.

What it comes down to is, is our perception that our decisions make a difference really true? Or is it merely an illusion based on incomplete knowledge?

There is also the question of why God would create a being He was certain would sin. If God set into motion a course of action He was certain would result in sin, how can we maintain that God is not responsible for it?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128041
10/07/10 06:19 PM
10/07/10 06:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
We've discussed this some years ago, with a train analogy:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93381#Post93381

It begins at post #93381.

Boyd's illustration is in your post #93302.

Quote:
But it's the latter rain/loud cry message which causes the shaking in the first place.

I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen, and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this is what will cause a shaking among God's people. {CET 176.1}

You can't equate "the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans" with the latter rain. This testimony will lead to both the shaking and the latter rain.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #128047
10/08/10 04:20 PM
10/08/10 04:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You can't equate "the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans" with the latter rain.

We discussed this too. From post #123038:

Quote:
The time of test is just upon us, for the loud cry of the third angel has already begun in the revelation of the righteousness of Christ, the sin-pardoning Redeemer. This is the beginning of the light of the angel whose glory shall fill the whole earth. For it is the work of every one to whom the message of warning has come, to lift up Jesus, to present Him to the world as revealed in types, as shadowed in symbols, as manifested in the revelations of the prophets, as unveiled in the lessons given to His disciples and in the wonderful miracles wrought for the sons of men. Search the Scriptures; for they are they that testify of Him.(1SM 362)

Elsewhere she ties the loud cry message to the latter rain.

Also, from A. T. Jones:

“I received a letter a little while ago from Brother Starr in Australia. I will read two or three sentences because they come in well just at this place in our lessons: ‘Sister White says that we have been in the time of the latter rain since the Minneapolis meeting’” (General Conference Bulletin, 1893, p. 377).

Page 75 of 103 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!