HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,661
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Daryl, daylily, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #137128
10/28/11 05:19 AM
10/28/11 05:19 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
I gave you scripture --

The parable of the wheat and tares
Col. 2:16 forbids men to judge us concerning the Sabbath.
And Hebrews 10:26-30
contrasts the punishment in Moses time with how it is after Christ's death.

but it seems you still want to stone Sabbath keepers.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of support for your position. It fits in beautifully with what will be in the very near future. But it won't be of God.

Obviously you can't understand the principle.

Anyway I've wasted enough time here --

I already told you that the stoning laws ended when the sacrificial laws ended. So why keep pushing that point?

God has never taken pleasure in the death of the wicked. He much rather that people turn from their sins, that was true even under the old covenant. (see Ez. 18:32)

I can respect the fact that you're being consistent. Thank you. However, your answer is less then convincing with respect to scriptural support for the banishment of capital punishment.

Since you say, however, that stoning ended at the cross, and when I have plied you with questions regarding if it might have ended earlier you consistently maintain that it ended at that time when Christ died, then I do have a question for you.

What about the woman taken in adultery? Why did Jesus not command that she be stoned (and the men who led her into sin as well)? If the law was in effect still, as you have maintained, would it not be a disregard for the very law which Jesus had given His people that He would not have upheld it while it was still in force? Why would Jesus disregard His own law?

Was Jesus afraid of the Romans? Was He more cowardly than Daniel's three friends at the golden image? Did Jesus kow-tow to the Roman authority instead of upholding God's law?

What say you?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #137135
10/28/11 12:44 PM
10/28/11 12:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I gave you scripture --

I already told you that the stoning laws ended when the sacrificial laws ended.
So why do we still kill / electrocute / or shoot down the murderer? Or are you narrowing it to a very specific form of capital punishment?

Quote:
God has never taken pleasure in the death of the wicked. He much rather that people turn from their sins, that was true even under the old covenant. (see Ez. 18:32)
Except before the cross, He took pleasure in the death of the wicked?

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: kland] #137137
10/28/11 03:41 PM
10/28/11 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: It seems so simple - seek Jesus' counsel before enforcing certain laws, in particular laws regulating the death penalty and matters which require knowing motive.

K: What if someone else chose a different law to consult Jesus on? Why did you choose only the death penalty? Do you have scriptural support for that?

". . . seek Jesus' counsel before enforcing certain laws". Seems so simple.
You're kidding, right? Scriptural support was the request.

Note the many times Jews sought answers to difficult cases through the Urim and Thummin. In particular, note how godly men, like Moses, first sought answers from Jesus before proceeding with matters dealing with the death of law-breakers. Is it possible such biblical precedence recommends others do the same?

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: kland] #137150
10/29/11 12:03 AM
10/29/11 12:03 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

So why do we still kill / electrocute / or shoot down the murderer? Or are you narrowing it to a very specific form of capital punishment?

we aren't talking about keeping murderers and thieves off the street, we are talking about BREAKING COMMANDMENTS that are part of our commitment to God.

there is still need for civil authorities to keep some kind of law and order.

but civil authorities are NOT to legislate or enforce matters pertaining to worship and commitment to God.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #137151
10/29/11 01:16 AM
10/29/11 01:16 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Since you say, however, that stoning ended at the cross, and when I have plied you with questions regarding if it might have ended earlier you consistently maintain that it ended at that time when Christ died, then I do have a question for you.

What about the woman taken in adultery? Why did Jesus not command that she be stoned (and the men who led her into sin as well)? If the law was in effect still, as you have maintained, would it not be a disregard for the very law which Jesus had given His people that He would not have upheld it while it was still in force? Why would Jesus disregard His own law?

Was Jesus afraid of the Romans? Was He more cowardly than Daniel's three friends at the golden image? Did Jesus kow-tow to the Roman authority instead of upholding God's law?

What say you?
Blessings,
Green Cochoa.

As I remember you suggested that the law to stone Sabbath breakers was taken over by the civil government (Romans) not that it ended earlier. The Jews now had to get an OK from the Romans before they could carry it out.

However, the Jews didn't seem to worry about asking the Romans when they stoned Stephen. And in John 10, the Jews were picking up stones to stone Jesus without first asking the Romans. Saul went to the priest to get "letters" so he could put Christians to death. They were DEFINITELY still imposing the death penalty on people they deemed worthy according to their understanding of the Mosaic law.

However it is true the Romans had imposed themselves as the higher authority and acted as the "higher court", but were they really supposed to pass sentence on Sabbath breakers? Was that authority given to them?

No, a thousand times NO!

Once Rome became "Christian" and after the Emperors Gratian, Valentinian II and Theodosius I, established Catholic Christianity as the State Religion in February 380 AD, we see this "Christian Roman Government" labeling people who happened to worship a little differently, as heretics in order to drive them out of the empire by death or exile.

AS TO THE WOMAN CAUGHT IN ADULERY

Jesus did not pronounce any decision.
The whole incident shows the principle Jesus was trying to teach them.

"He that is without sin cast the first stone"

Ahh-- they ALL deserve to die! Even if they weren't involved with the fornication of the woman. They ALL deserved to die.

Jesus was teaching them the true meaning of the types.

"He that is without sin cast the first stone".

Who is without sin? Everyone of those accusers had sin and realized they NEEDED mercy and forgiveness just as much as she did!

Jesus had not set aside the law given through Moses, nor infringed upon the authority of Rome. The accusers had been defeated as they realized they were under the death sentence as well.

I wonder how many of them realized what was happening on Calvary that dark Friday. They must of realized that nothing is hidden to God and that they were under the death penalty, did any of them understand that Jesus was dying in their place? Were they drawn to Christ as He was lifted up between heaven and earth on the terrible cross?

I'm sure the Holy Spirit was working on their hearts and minds.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #137152
10/29/11 03:16 AM
10/29/11 03:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

Which of those people who cast stones at Achan and his family were without sin? Which of those who stoned the Sabbath Breaker were without sin? In fact, which of God's laws specified that only sinless and perfect beings were to carry out the laws of stoning?

How then can you say that Jesus would have been asking the right thing, IF the laws of stoning were still in effect prior to His death?

I agree that Jesus was teaching the true meaning of the types. However, God's teachings never come at the expense of keeping His own law. Jesus would never have broken His law in order to teach a "true meaning" or "principle" of it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #137153
10/29/11 04:48 AM
10/29/11 04:48 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The Jews definitely considered the stoning laws still in effect at the time of Christ. Just as they knew the sacrificial laws were still in effect.

Why did righteous Joseph want to put away Mary privately, who was with child prior to marriage, so as not to make a public example of her"? (Matt.1:18-19)

Two courses were open to Joseph who thought his betrothed had committed adultery:
1. To charge Mary with adultery and thus to make her a public example letting the Jewish stoning laws to take their course.
2. To make use of the divorce laws of the Jews without charging her with any crime and simply give her a letter of divorcement.

Twice the Jews attempted to stone Jesus.
1. John 8:56-59 -- Jesus tells them "before Abraham I AM" claiming the title of the ever present God. They consider it blasphemy and pick up stones to stone Him.
2. John 10:30-33 -- Jesus tells them "I and my Father are One" again they pick up stones to stone Him "for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."

Stephen -- Acts 6:11-15 shows he is brought before a council of elders and scribes and accused of blasphemy. After he gives a powerful sermon, they drag him outside of the city and stone him. (7:58)

-----

Jesus said "He who is without sin cast the first stone".

Obviously most of the accounts of "stoning" shows those throwing the stones were steeped in sin. And they ended up stoning all the wrong people.
Joseph (Mary's betrothed) was saved from making a terrible mistake because he was a righteous man in communication with heaven.

In the case where stoning was the will of God --
I would assume that Joshua and those involved in Achan's case had confessed and repented of all their sins and partaken in the sacrificial provision for forgiveness.

Scripture (Joshua 7)tells us that he and the elders spent all day at the sanctuary in prone position talking to the Lord. The Lord tells him to sanctify the people. Joshua 7:13 Up, sanctify the people, and say, Sanctify yourselves against tomorrow.

So yes, the people were sinless at that point --
Not in themselves but thanks to repentance, confession and trusting in the provisions of the substitute.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #137161
10/29/11 01:58 PM
10/29/11 01:58 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The Jews definitely considered the stoning laws still in effect at the time of Christ. Just as they knew the sacrificial laws were still in effect.

And the laws were in effect still, but had been trumped by the Roman authority.
Why did righteous Joseph want to put away Mary privately, who was with child prior to marriage, so as not to make a public example of her"? (Matt.1:18-19)

Two courses were open to Joseph who thought his betrothed had committed adultery:
1. To charge Mary with adultery and thus to make her a public example letting the Jewish stoning laws to take their course.
2. To make use of the divorce laws of the Jews without charging her with any crime and simply give her a letter of divorcement.

Choice #1 was not an option for Joseph. The Roman authority had trumped the Jewish legal system.

1. John 8:56-59 -- Jesus tells them "before Abraham I AM" claiming the title of the ever present God. They consider it blasphemy and pick up stones to stone Him.
2. John 10:30-33 -- Jesus tells them "I and my Father are One" again they pick up stones to stone Him "for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."

Neither of those times was for anything legitimate, as we all well know. Using bad behavior like this to argue against appropriate behavior is simply illogical. It's like saying since Judas hung himself, hanging should be wrong, or even, since David used his own army to kill Uriah the Hittite, kings should not have armies. Many people today use this same type of argument to leave the Adventist church. They say Adventists are not following the Bible in some particular, and therefore, they don't want to be associated with them.

Stephen -- Acts 6:11-15 shows he is brought before a council of elders and scribes and accused of blasphemy. After he gives a powerful sermon, they drag him outside of the city and stone him. (7:58)

Again, the crime was a false charge, but the Jews also stationed lookouts against the Romans, for they knew they were not allowed to stone people.

Jesus said "He who is without sin cast the first stone".

Obviously most of the accounts of "stoning" shows those throwing the stones were steeped in sin. And they ended up stoning all the wrong people.
Joseph (Mary's betrothed) was saved from making a terrible mistake because he was a righteous man in communication with heaven.

Again, just because one group of people fails to follow directions does not mean the directions should never be followed. That would be false logic.

In the case where stoning was the will of God --
I would assume that Joshua and those involved in Achan's case had confessed and repented of all their sins and partaken in the sacrificial provision for forgiveness.

Scripture (Joshua 7)tells us that he and the elders spent all day at the sanctuary in prone position talking to the Lord. The Lord tells him to sanctify the people. Joshua 7:13 Up, sanctify the people, and say, Sanctify yourselves against tomorrow.

So yes, the people were sinless at that point --
Not in themselves but thanks to repentance, confession and trusting in the provisions of the substitute.

The Bible says "There is none righteous, no not one." They may have fasted, prayed, and repented, but they were not sinless beings. Nor did the law require such.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #137172
10/30/11 02:30 AM
10/30/11 02:30 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
God considers those who have repented and confessed their sins and been forgiven as JUST AS IF THEY HAD NOT SINNED.

No one said they were sinless beings -- I mentioned it wasn't IN THEMSELVES, but at that point they had NO sins reckoned against them.

Your comparisions don't even touch the subject in question. It's mixing apples and cucumbers.

The law to stone sabbath keepers and blasphemers was NEVER given to the Romans.
That is a great fallacy in your position.
The stoning laws ENDED with the sacrificial laws, they are NO LONGER IN FORCE, and definitely not given to Rome to execute!

If they trumpt it, it was ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO DO SO. It was NEVER given them by God. For secular power to trump authority over how people are to worship God is called ABOMINATION.

They may have taken over civil authority, but their taking over religious authority over God's people was WRONG and very bad behavior.

The Jews definitely considered the stoning laws still in effect at the time of Christ.

They were fiercely hanging on to the laws of Moses IN SPITE of Roman intervention.

But their own estrangement from God caused them to try and stone all the wrong people.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #137173
10/30/11 02:52 AM
10/30/11 02:52 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: "dedication"

Neither of those times was for anything legitimate, as we all well know.

According to the "letter of the law" they were following Moses code. They were assuming this was a mere man claiming to be God, which was blasphemy and worthy of death. (Lev. 24:16)
Of course they were wrong, but that was because they weren't in connection with God -- if they had been, they would have recognized His Son.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!