HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138393
12/27/11 04:33 PM
12/27/11 04:33 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Green, so if the SDA commentary is not always a credible source, could your sources not be credible either?

That is, why should any believe you versus me?

Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: kland] #138399
12/27/11 04:55 PM
12/27/11 04:55 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Green, so if the SDA commentary is not always a credible source, could your sources not be credible either?

That is, why should any believe you versus me?
If you have evidence that my sources are false, or not credible, then no--you shouldn't accept them. This, however, may be the difference: I already have such evidence with the SDA Commentaries.

Here's one example: The SDA Bible Commentary speaks of the "rapture" verses in Matthew 24 with the following interpretation.
Originally Posted By: Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary
What Jesus meant by being "taken" and by being "left" is made clear by the context. Those who are left are the evil servants, who instead of continuing in their normal pursuits after a supposed secret rapture, are cut asunder and assigned a portion with the hypocrites (vs. 48-51).

Left. Gr. aphiemi, "to send away," "to dismiss." The Greek precludes the idea that it is the righteous who are "left." The righteous are, literally, "received," and the wicked "sent away."

The trouble with the above is that it is wrong on multiple counts, and has exactly the opposite interpretation from the correct one. Multiple Adventist evangelists are now correctly preaching that the "left" are the righteous. And what is this about "the Greek precludes the idea that is it righteous who are 'left'?" It does no such thing! The author of this obviously had not done his homework. The Greek word aphiemi is translated as "forgiven" far more than it is translated as "dismissed" or "sent away." Last time I checked, it is the righteous who are forgiven, and it is the righteous who are called the remnant, or that which is left after all others are taken out.

This is just one of many such poor commentaries that I have encountered. I could name others, but suffice it to say, I have lost confidence in the commentaries for being of much greater value than a pastor's opinion. Only the inspired portions written by Ellen White can be considered reliable.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138418
12/28/11 04:22 AM
12/28/11 04:22 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I'm not sure you understand the Greek. Take the verse, 1 John 1:9 AKJV If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The word "forgive" is the Greek work aphiemi. It means to "send away", "remit", "let go", "leave", "forsake", "yeild up", "lay aside", and it often translated "forgive". In 1 John 1:9, this word is used to indicate that sin is send way, remitted, let go. It has nothing to do with the offended person, and everything to do with the offender. The offended person, God, is not changed by our confession of sins. We are the once changed, and God will cleanse us from all unrighteousness. He will "send away" the sin.

There is another Greek word translated often "forgive", and that word is "charizomai". It can mean, "forgive", "pardon", "give" or "grant", "rescue". This is more in line with our common use in English of the word forgive. If we forgive, we grant pardon. Charizomai has to do with the offended.

The above quote of the SDABC holds true. The wicked are sent away.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: APL] #138421
12/28/11 06:16 AM
12/28/11 06:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
I'm not sure you understand the Greek....
APL,

The very fact that some Adventist evangelists and Bible students like myself can see a different interpretation from the one you are seeing still means that the SDABC cannot be true. It says "the Greek precludes the idea that it is the righteous who are 'left.'" But, the problem is, it doesn't. The Greek is not that clear. I have a clear argument to the other side, and that is that it is the "paralambano" crowd that are "taken" to destruction, while the "aphiemi" group is that which remains.

Here's the breakdown of ALL the times the word "aphiemi" is translated to English in the KJV:

leave 52, forgive 47, suffer 14, let 8, forsake 6, let alone 6, misc 13

Of the 146 times the word is used in the entire Bible, it only appears as "forsake" 6 times, and if it is ever translated as "send away," it must be in the 13 miscellaneous translations of the word. That doesn't make a very strong case on your side. To the contrary, it is translated as "forgive" at least one third of all the times it is used, with another third being "leave," a neutral term.

Throughout the Bible, "taken" is typically a bad thing. Conversely, "left" is typically a good thing.

It is partly from these facts that I have drawn my conclusions. The other part is really a much larger study which deserves a thread of its own.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138423
12/28/11 03:55 PM
12/28/11 03:55 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The very fact that some Adventist evangelists and Bible students like myself can see a different interpretation from the one you are seeing still means that the SDABC cannot be true.
Ummmm..... Did you really mean to say that as it stands?

Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: kland] #138426
12/28/11 04:12 PM
12/28/11 04:12 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

It would be a bit like the SDABC saying that "the Greek does not permit an acceptance of the Johannine Comma." Trouble is, the Greek has nothing to do with whether or not the Comma is accepted--people do!

Perhaps that clarifies my point.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138431
12/28/11 05:26 PM
12/28/11 05:26 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
GC - I gave a specific example (1 John 1:9) where you want to "send away" sin, Aphiemi sin, translated in the KJV, "forgive sin". It is SIN that is sent away, not the sinner. Aphiemi is the right term. Charizomai and Aphiemi are both translated "forgive", but mean very different things. /apl

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: APL] #138441
12/29/11 06:59 AM
12/29/11 06:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
GC - I gave a specific example (1 John 1:9) where you want to "send away" sin, Aphiemi sin, translated in the KJV, "forgive sin". It is SIN that is sent away, not the sinner. Aphiemi is the right term. Charizomai and Aphiemi are both translated "forgive", but mean very different things. /apl

Why is "send away sin" any better than "forgive sin?" That makes no sense to me. It isn't "sent away," it is "forgiven." And then we are "cleansed" of all unrighteousness. If it were "sent away," to where is it sent? I've never heard of anyone speaking of "sending away" sin before. This phraseology is completely foreign to me. I'll stick with the KJV on this one.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138448
12/29/11 01:41 PM
12/29/11 01:41 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
kland,

It would be a bit like the SDABC saying that "the Greek does not permit an acceptance of the Johannine Comma." Trouble is, the Greek has nothing to do with whether or not the Comma is accepted--people do!

Which may not be as bad as I thought you said. But what you are saying is that "more is better".

Re: The 'Johannine Comma', does it belong in the Bible? [Re: kland] #138453
12/29/11 02:12 PM
12/29/11 02:12 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
kland,

Which may not be as bad as I thought you said. But what you are saying is that "more is better".
I think I've already stated on this thread that I take no special side in the debate concerning the Johannine Comma. I find both sides to be untenable. Neither side has proof. However, I have observed that there is nothing in the Comma which would introduce a contradiction with the rest of the Bible. The Comma agrees with the rest of the Bible, and introduces no new information. Therefore, whether or not the Comma was in the original writing, it seems neither to help nor harm by having been inserted. The main harm is the debate itself, for precious time is wasted discussing it.

Mrs. White speaks well of Erasmus' work, and Erasmus included the Comma after seeing a manuscript which contained it. She never uses the verse, however, and indicates to us that there are places in the Bible where people edited things thinking to make them more clear, but instead have muddied it up.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
While Luther was opening a closed Bible to the people of Germany, Tyndale was impelled by the Spirit of God to do the same for England. Wycliffe's Bible had been translated from the Latin text, which contained many errors. It had never been printed, and the cost of manuscript copies was so great that few but wealthy men or nobles could procure it, and, furthermore, being strictly proscribed by the church, it had had a comparatively narrow circulation. In 1516, a year before the appearance of Luther's theses, Erasmus had published his Greek and Latin version of the New Testament. Now for the first time the Word of God was printed in the original tongue. In this work many errors of former versions were corrected, and the sense was more clearly rendered. It led many among the educated classes to a better knowledge of the truth, and gave a new impetus to the work of reform. But the common people were still, to a great extent, debarred from God's Word. Tyndale was to complete the work of Wycliffe in giving the Bible to his countrymen. {GC88 245.1}

She speaks well of Erasmus' first work. The third edition of this work, which came out in 1522, contained the comma. Mrs. White appears not to mention it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!