HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,678
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, daylily, Kevin H, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49529
04/02/05 09:36 PM
04/02/05 09:36 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Bob,
Do you think the focal point of the Seventh-Day Adventist church is Jesus Christ, and preaching the Gospel to prepare people for His soon return?
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
-Will

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49530
04/02/05 10:56 PM
04/02/05 10:56 PM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Bob,
Fron what I have seen the SDA Church follows Jesus Christ, and Jesus said that He would send us His Holy Spirit to tech us. I do not see preaching Ellen White each and every Sabbath as if she were a deity. That view comes from people who are former adventists or nonadventists as was mentioned in the thread.
I cannot attend every SDA church globally, but I am speaking of the church I am am member of, and when I go away on vacation I receive a blessing for hearing the Gospel on the Seventh Day.

Will,

I did not state that the SDA Church does not preach the gospel. Almost all Christian churches in existence today preach the Gospel. The SDA Church is not unique in this aspect.

Nor do I question the spiritual experience that you may receive when you worship at any SDA Church that you may attend.

What I do question is the SDA Church's perspective of Truth.

Is the current SDA perspective of Truth based upon the collective spiritual experiences of its membership whereby God, through His Holy Spirit, has imparted to them an understanding of what is truth?

Or.....

Is the current SDA perspective of Truth based upon the collective acceptance of its membership that EGW is the authority to be relied upon in its understanding of Truth?

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49531
04/02/05 11:22 PM
04/02/05 11:22 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
What do you think it is Bob? many have already answered except you.
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
-Will

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49532
04/02/05 11:34 PM
04/02/05 11:34 PM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
Will,

I do believe that I have answered that question in previous posts.

The SDA Church collective accepts truth only as it has been presented by EGW.

Any perspective that is presented that conflicts with the perspective presented by EGW is rejected.

I have shared one example. Would you like others?

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49533
04/03/05 05:27 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Bob, why should anyone want to go contrary to the point of view given by an inspired prophet of God?

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49534
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA

Quote: from myarsman
The SDA Church collective accepts truth only as it has been presented by EGW.

What of subjects that were not covered by Mrs. White in sufficient detail as to derive a clear doctrine? For example, look at the debate on women ordination. But where she gives a clear voice, I see no problem with respecting her counsel.

Quote: from SDA Fundamental Beliefs
17. The Gift of Prophecy:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

So, what’s the issue here? Either you believe she was divinely inspired or not. If you believe she wasn’t, then I can see your point, but as I mentioned earlier, it shouldn’t seem out of place for a group of people who believe a person was divinely inspired, to respect that person’s writings as doctrinally authoritative on some level. And that certainly does not mean that believing so demonstrates the absence of the H.S. in one’s study any more than applying Paul’s writings as a “truth” filter.

Jeff
Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49535
04/03/05 09:21 AM
04/03/05 09:21 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Will

Maybe teasing people is more inapropriate than engaging in lengthy arguments for sabbath activity, maybe you can give your oppinion on that.

I wonder if EW may be more well studied than for instance Habackuk or Sakarja?

/Thomas

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49536
04/03/05 10:23 AM
04/03/05 10:23 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Sure I'll give my opinion. Teasing is very lite, what you said was more along the lines of mocking. Everyone has a right to express themselves of course, but you need to use your head when doing so. Giving a reason for what you believe is in the Bible.
Whats on your mind Thomas?
God Bless,
-Will

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49537
04/05/05 08:47 AM
04/05/05 08:47 AM
Jan  Offline
Ohio
When we first came into contact with the SDA message we were living in NM. We began attending a great little church there, and the members studied with us over several months before we were baptized. It wasn't until shortly before we were baptized that we were introduced to Mrs. White's writings. It threw me into confusion and doubt, and I did not want to accept. But as I read, I realized that the writings agreed with everything I had already learned in the Bible. So for us, Jesus was the focal point of our faith.

Re: Who is the Focal Point of the SDA Church? #49538
04/05/05 02:48 PM
04/05/05 02:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
With respect to the SDA Church and our church's daily Christian living and witness, who is the focal point of the SDA church?
If Jesus really is the "focal point" of the SDA church, then that would explain why so many members are inactive, why so many members do not spend time seeking and saving the lost (according to their special giftedness). I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is obvious that most members just come to church on sabbath, and that's about it. Which is why I'm questioning whether or not Jesus really is the focal point of the SDA church.

Jesus said, "He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also." John 14:12. Jesus came to seek and save the lost. His focus was not on Himself, but on saving souls. It stands to reason, therefore, that a follower of Jesus will be actively involved in doing the same. Which implies, then, that the focal point of the SDA church should be lost souls. Leading lost souls to Jesus is the gospel commission.

Matthew
28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!