HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19445
04/20/01 04:12 PM
04/20/01 04:12 PM
M
me again  Offline
Posting New Member
USA
quote:
Asked by Andrew Marttinen:
How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary?

Fill up the back? (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

[This message has been edited by me again (edited April 20, 2001).]

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19446
04/20/01 06:52 PM
04/20/01 06:52 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline OP
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
It reminds me of the comedian who said, "I like big crowds--lots of people come to a place where there's a big crowd."

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19447
04/21/01 02:07 AM
04/21/01 02:07 AM
T
Tony Mantara  Offline
Posting New Member
MI, USA
I sit in the very back of the sanctuary because that's where I opperate the sound system. I've actually found that sound is louder in the back than in the middle, so people sometimes complain that it's too quiet where they are.

It's pretty easy to get me to move closer to the front. Just have someone else do the sound.

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19448
04/23/01 01:16 AM
04/23/01 01:16 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
in our church we had the exact same problem.
We had a unique way of doing away with it, instead of pews we have chairs in our church and every friday some of the chairs get placed in a rectangle, size doesn't permit cercles. and that is where we go. in your church, maybe you can either have folding chairs set up and everyone take them down or have some creative markers set up arround the pews. if nothing else works WE ARE ADVENTIST, use some little debbies under the seats you want them to sit in:}

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19449
04/23/01 02:15 PM
04/23/01 02:15 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline OP
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
Someone put it this way: At a feast everyone wants to get close to the food! Hopefully there's more than "sweet nothings" up front in our worship services!

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19450
05/12/01 05:23 AM
05/12/01 05:23 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
Just talk soft and turn down the PA system. Probably still wouldn't work.

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19451
05/12/01 09:09 AM
05/12/01 09:09 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
"Pew what a problem"

From back pews to front pews : a local Church symptom of a bigger problem that manifests in scattered pew sitters and too much room to choose from among the mostly empty pews.

Idea:

The Pastor & Church Board & Church officers meet and build a workable plan to change the concept of Church from inactive ("Laissez faire"); to "if we don't do it , it won't get done." If the pastor has only assisted with public evangelism and never brought people into the Church by his personal efforts co-operating with God, the pastor gets material from places like the Canadian office of "The Quiet Hour" & training from someone like Pastor Roy West & the Quiet Hour materials & become trained specifically one on one to personally bring individuals and families into the Church through Jesus and their personal efforts - then teach what they learn. After an NAD Survey 80% of SDA Pastors had never personally brought anyone into the Church through Jesus and their personal efforts. You can not teach what you do not know.

Then starting with:
Rope off back pews 3-4 rows for parents with small children.

The next 3-4 rows for members who did not invite & did not bring visitors or people they are studying with them,that day.

The front section is roped off for members who have invited & brought visitors that day. For members who are studying with folks and have invited them and / or are bringing them that day. (Preferably have brought them that day. Arranged child care @ Church & visitors menu driven potluck and an introductory meeting with another SDA family or families {that are pre-prepared for this introductory meeting to form Bible based friendships with the visiting family or families.) Both the SDA family that brings folks and the ones forming friendships are all doing a workshop with common planning to stay on the same page & help each other's agenda.

A deadline is given the local church with specific goals. Such as (example of what I mean.)

13 weeks to fill the front section under the above conditions. After that date,if the front stays empty, the pastor starts dropping one or two preaching Sabbaths a month from that local church and replaces it with home visitations and training local Church officers & their spouses {that he selects to go with him & his wife as they visit the local members on an ongoing basis to uncover what's wrong, teach the members how to receive Jesus personally & how to work for souls personally.

The local Church officers pick up the slack on local preaching & teaching.

The ones who refuse to work for souls especially get worked with to uncover objections and excuses. Objections are an honest statement that if the problems were solved, they would do whatever they were currently objecting to. Excuses are deceptive attempts to get out of whatever it is and they don't intend to do it anyway. Removing the excuse just calls for more excuses to be given.

Pastoral visitations will find stubborn unrecantable problems, that will have to be dealt with, that may require Church Board & Church Body votes. When irreconcilable log jams are cleared away growth will return & God will wake up and help all the honest, be they limited, or multi-talented, quick, or slow, young or old, rich or poor. All the willing He will help.

All the pews will fill & keep the sectioning setup to reward the busy members, accommodate the parents with children with special needs, and set goals and rewards for the members who would if some would personally help them to. Train other local members to do that with them and help them, till they can inturn help others.

Pastors talk it over with your boards & officers & see if agreement can be reached ? Goals must have rewards for being met & consequences for being missed. A support system to enforce rewards and consequences must be in place and functioning and all on the same page prior to announcing it.

The front pews are lonely and cold and the need warm active searching people to be there with their repentant tears and hopeful prayers and grateful amen's.

The middle pews are feeling confused because so many sit for a while and move around so much. Their behinds reflect the temperature of their spiritual thermostats and the pews are catching the flu from the chill.

The back pews have arthritis and cry for relief because so many big people sit on them so much it is killing them. The little kids are so much lighter and smile so much more. The back pews miss their bright little faces and honest trusting questions.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited May 12, 2001).]

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19452
05/12/01 11:41 AM
05/12/01 11:41 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Sounds good on paper, we tried that and it didn't work, we never do it that way, we can't afford to do that, ... ever hear these?

You have some real good ideas here.
I think I'll plagerize [ ] them and share with the next board meeting.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19453
05/12/01 02:56 PM
05/12/01 02:56 PM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
What's this whole roping off bit? I can understand for families, but the rest? Hmm...
Just understand: not a lot of people enjoying getting up on time to make it to Sabbath School. Maybe you should have the sermon first?

Re: How do you get people to move to the front of the Sanctuary? #19454
05/12/01 07:52 PM
05/12/01 07:52 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Jason,
Consider it a system of making it a desirable thing that gets approval to qualify to sit in the "first class " seats instead of "coach" and working in the homes to help things there. Enjoy your cricket .

Gerry,
Copy all you want, if they favorably respond and church gets more members qualifying for upfront, let me know.

PS. You could always bribe the church grandmas by saying they could cuddle your grandbabies (but their husbands & kids had to invite visitors and they & the visitors had to sit up front so they could qualify. Put a time limit on um and pass the kids down the row.)

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited May 12, 2001).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!