HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Kevin H), 3,380 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31567
02/02/06 10:43 AM
02/02/06 10:43 AM
B
Bobby  Offline OP
British Columbia
quote:
Originally posted by Redfog:
Now let me see if I got this right. There are now more things than ever that will kill us, like autos, airplanes, additives in our food, our clothes made of who knows what, AIDS, bird flu, margarine, polluted water, lead in our soil, green house gasses, mad cows, milk, guns, spouses, etc etc etc. And yet we are living longer and longer and being active for longer than people lived a hundred years ago. Just an observation.

Redfog

Do you have the numbers to verify that ? I have watched my grand parents age, and my great grand parents as well, the oldest living to be 106. I doubt any of us will live to be that age. The preservatives in the food, and the chemicals being used are affecting the children at an alarming rate. Diabetes, cancers, leukemias, etc...

I spent some time in Children's hospital in Vancouver, when our 4 year old had to go for heart surgery this past year. I saw first hand what is happening. The diseases know no age now. They are hitting the children quicker and more problems are arising. Heart surgeries on babies I bet weren't a necessity 100 years ago either.

In the US, do you know what the number one leading cause of death is ? Death from unnecessary medical intervention. I would classify that as surgery and drugs. And it can be avoided.

I should point out that the reason why people may not have lived as long 100 years ago, is because western medicine wasn't all with it quite yet. In Ellen White's time, doctor's were prescribing cigarettes for lung problems. Arsenic was prescribed for certain conditions (yes arsenic!) I have a newspaper article that talked about a true story of a woman who tried to kill her husband with arsenic. The doctor prescribed it first, but she just worked on increasing the dosage.

The medical field appears to sometimes use drugs or methods which haven't had proper testing. Ellen White even mentions in her book, Ministry of Healing (and I believe Counsels on diets and foods ?) to avoid the doctor's poisons. God has provided the way to true health, if we will follow His lead.

Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31568
02/02/06 12:35 PM
02/02/06 12:35 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
What Mrs. White said was that drugs should seldom be used, not to avoid at all cost. And she lived in a time when most drugs used were actually poisons or they were narcotic in nature, therefore addictive, though they do have their place (like in my own life of dealing with headaches).

If a person does not believe people are living longer all the have to do is study the Social Security mess in the US. Where people are living longer and longer so that it will take more and more people to support them in their retirement.

Babies needed heart surgery 100 years ago but since it was not available they just died. Infant mortality was much much higher years ago.

Most diseases today can be attributed to our lifestyle more than the chemicals in the food. Over eating, lack of exercise, smoking, promiscuous sex, excessive drinking, etc are all things that work to bring on our early demise.

Now I'm not at all saying that things are going to continue to keep getting better, I just made the observation that people have been living longer and longer in the 20Th century at the same time we were seeing a huge increase in chemical additives in our food, pollution in the air etc etc.

Redfog

Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31569
02/05/06 10:53 PM
02/05/06 10:53 PM
B
Bobby  Offline OP
British Columbia
quote:
What Mrs. White said was that drugs should seldom be used, not to avoid at all cost. And she lived in a time when most drugs used were actually poisons or they were narcotic in nature, therefore addictive, though they do have their place (like in my own life of dealing with headaches).

If a person does not believe people are living longer all the have to do is study the Social Security mess in the US. Where people are living longer and longer so that it will take more and more people to support them in their retirement.

Babies needed heart surgery 100 years ago but since it was not available they just died. Infant mortality was much much higher years ago.

Most diseases today can be attributed to our lifestyle more than the chemicals in the food. Over eating, lack of exercise, smoking, promiscuous sex, excessive drinking, etc are all things that work to bring on our early demise.

Now I'm not at all saying that things are going to continue to keep getting better, I just made the observation that people have been living longer and longer in the 20Th century at the same time we were seeing a huge increase in chemical additives in our food, pollution in the air etc etc.

Redfog

A question regarding your headaches. Do you drink any diet pop, or eat anything with aspartame in it ? A few other things to watch for is sucralose (which is used as an artificial sweetener) or the berry alcohols used to sweeten things as well (sorbitol, maltitol, mannitol, xylitol etc..)

Chemicals, or even fragrance can cause headaches. The body, once overloaded or exposed to too many chemicals, starts to let us know its limits. A headache is one of the first signs of something that needs to be avoided.

Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31570
02/06/06 01:38 AM
02/06/06 01:38 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
I've had headaches since long before diet pops. Purfumes are one trigger, thus church is a real pain [Smile] They are just a part of my life, along with red hair (what little is left), freckles and flat feet. Such is life.

Redfog

Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31571
02/06/06 06:13 AM
02/06/06 06:13 AM
B
Bobby  Offline OP
British Columbia
quote:
I've had headaches since long before diet pops. Purfumes are one trigger, thus church is a real pain [Smile] They are just a part of my life, along with red hair (what little is left), freckles and flat feet. Such is life.

Redfog

What household cleaners do you use, and have you used, or been around any pesticides or herbicides ? Sometimes even things such as mold cause headaches. When I lived in Nova Scotia, everyone's basement always had that mildew smell, sometimes so strong, it would give me a headache. Since moving out west, the air here is more arid. I noticed a huge difference in humidity when we went back east for a visit.

Mold brews in more humid places, so that may be another source. Personal care products contain some very harmful chemicals as well, and a more likely source of daily contamination.

Just trying to get a sense of what may be causing your headaches. There is always a source for them. If we are told they "just happen", it isn't true. The medical field appears to make off as if things "just happen". That is how they deal with diseases and syndromes they have no answer or cure for. We were told that for our 5 year old son who has Williams Syndrome. We know it was due to the toxic chemicals that my wife was exposed to during her pregnancy with him.

Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31572
04/20/06 11:21 PM
04/20/06 11:21 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
Reading over this forum this evening has raised more than one concern for me! As a holistic therapist I know that when I assess a person for teatment every aspect of their lives important from the amount of water they dink through to major medical conditions, however I also know that there are certain things that cannot be explained as to what causes them (yes I do agree that there is a case for everything!). However something like a headache can be caused by so many different factors, the most common one being that the sufferer does not take in enough liquid in a day, that in some people it is well neigh impossible to try to find one particular trigger.
Having said that I agree that Mrs White as only cautioning us to use drugs as seldom as possible. Most drugs actually take a plant and isolate it into it's one chemical that does the job and thereby unbalance the chemicals causing unknown side effects.
The essential oils that a aromatherapist works with on the other hand maintains the plants balance and the same oil may be used for many different reasons and also maintains the balance of the plant and therefore has less side effects!

Bobby I am confused in what you mean by "chemical free" as to be chemical free means quite simply to not exist as everything from the simplist amoeba to the chair you are sitting on is made up of chemicles in one way or another! The issue I think from what I've read here the question is not so much is it chemicle free? as do I want to have carcinogenic chemicles in my bloodstream? When I, personally, found out about all the carcinogens (cancer forming chemicles for those who don't know) that are in, for example, my toothpaste I changed over to carcinogen free products, and haven't looked back since! However ridding our houses and our personal care products of their carcinogens is all well and good, but please GET YOUR NUTRITION RIGHT AS WELL!

Your sister in christ
Debbie.

Re: Chemicals in personal care products #31573
07/13/06 04:40 AM
07/13/06 04:40 AM
B
Bobby  Offline OP
British Columbia
Quote:

Reading over this forum this evening has raised more than one concern for me! As a holistic therapist I know that when I assess a person for teatment every aspect of their lives important from the amount of water they dink through to major medical conditions, however I also know that there are certain things that cannot be explained as to what causes them (yes I do agree that there is a case for everything!). However something like a headache can be caused by so many different factors, the most common one being that the sufferer does not take in enough liquid in a day, that in some people it is well neigh impossible to try to find one particular trigger.
Having said that I agree that Mrs White as only cautioning us to use drugs as seldom as possible. Most drugs actually take a plant and isolate it into it's one chemical that does the job and thereby unbalance the chemicals causing unknown side effects.
The essential oils that a aromatherapist works with on the other hand maintains the plants balance and the same oil may be used for many different reasons and also maintains the balance of the plant and therefore has less side effects!

Bobby I am confused in what you mean by "chemical free" as to be chemical free means quite simply to not exist as everything from the simplist amoeba to the chair you are sitting on is made up of chemicles in one way or another! The issue I think from what I've read here the question is not so much is it chemicle free? as do I want to have carcinogenic chemicles in my bloodstream? When I, personally, found out about all the carcinogens (cancer forming chemicles for those who don't know) that are in, for example, my toothpaste I changed over to carcinogen free products, and haven't looked back since! However ridding our houses and our personal care products of their carcinogens is all well and good, but please GET YOUR NUTRITION RIGHT AS WELL!

Your sister in christ
Debbie.

You are very correct on the nutrition part. What I mean by chemical free is no synthetic or petro-chemicals (in essence man-made) in our households as far as food, personal care products, and household cleaners are concerned. Many of our typical cleaning products contain pesticides, according to a documentary on CBC (marketwatch or marketplace? can't remember which it was)

Products like Windex, Pledge, Mr.Clean, and Lysol, are not exactly the safest things to be using. I even heard from one person that Lysol contains agent orange, but I haven't checked their source or if it's true or not. From what I have learned and researched so far, I wouldn't doubt it.

Keep in mind that pesticides alone can cause cancer. On the other hand, if the body is alkaline, it will be much harder for disease to flourish. Disease prefers an acidic body.

The rates for non-smoking cancers have skyrocketed and coincided with the rise in petro-chemical use since 1946. Not only is the petro-chemical industry polluting the air and environment around us, but also many chemicals are used on our produce, as additives in our foods, as well as personal care products, cosmetics, toiletries, fragrances, etc.. the list goes on.

We cannot live in a bubble, that is true, but we can do something to limit our exposures and that comes with choosing better food, beverages, personal care products, and so on.To date I haven't found a chemical-free (remember that means synthetic/petro-chemical) cleaner. So we are left to use vinegar, which smells gross but oh well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!