HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31614
03/27/06 06:47 PM
03/27/06 06:47 PM
S
Stephanie Suranyi  Offline
Charter Member
near Chicago, IL , USA
quote:
Originally posted by debbie:

One of the things I noticed in some of the posts where foods were listed as being consummed was the lack of fruit. I also noticed someone saying they couldn't afford healthy foods but they could eat meat and chocolate. I think what we need to do is compare prices and maybe discontinue some favorite foods in order to have the money to buy more healthier types of foods. I agree totally with the person who said we need to get back to vegetables/fruits/grains and nuts.

No, Debbie, I did not say that I couldn't afford healthy foods but could get meat and chocolate. What I SAID was that OCCASIONALLY I would get chocolate, as a little treat. That's it. Maybe it didn't sound that way, but that is what was meant. Now, I don't get "favorites" that prevent me from getting healthier foods. Honestly? My "favorites" would be veggie meats sold in our ABCs....I would prefer buying those over the beef, chicken, and turkey. Unfortunately, comparing the costs of those to that of regular meats, the regular meats are cheaper. When you have a small budget for food, you buy whatever costs the least. Now, that's not saying that I DON'T buy healthy foods. I LOVE salads! I buy greens, tomatoes, etc. every week so I can make salads. Now, I WOULD grow my own garden, but I have nowhere to plant one here. I live in an apartment. Sure, I could plant a "potted garden" but I STILL have nowhere to put all the potted plants! So, I am limited as to the veggies as well. I have to buy them at the store. I love tomatoes. I prefer red leaf, grean leaf, and romaine lettuce over iceberg lettuce. I like spinach, kale, and other greens as well. I love fruits as well. My favorites are strawberries, kiwi, bananas, and grapes. But I also eat oranges, peaches, nectarines, etc. The only fruit I CANNOT stomach is grapefruit. Even if I were to sweeten it, no way. I tried sugar, I tried other possibilities. Nothing worked. The ONLY way I was able to get ANY grapefruit in was when I drank soda....& I could handle fresca & squirt. I know, not the best drink, but you get the idea. Since I no longer am allowed soda, grapefruit is OUT! And the only veggie that I CANNOT stomach is brussels sprouts.

Now, I ahve looked at the amount of protein in various servings of nuts versus meat. For the amount of protein I HAVE to ingest each day, I would never STOP eating if I were limited to only fruits, veggies and nuts. If I were able to add veggie meat, then, yeah, that would help. I have to weigh the amount I need to ingest with the amount of money I have to spend on food. Then I buy the least expensive foods I can to stretch my money. Unfortunately, most, if not all, of the time, meat wins out in the cost department. Now that I am pregnant, I have to get in a MINIMUM if 80 grams of protein daily. But that is because of the WLS I had. Now, if you can come up with VERY LOW COST meals, with HIGH protein content ( more than 15 grams per serving) I would be MORE than happy to try them. They don't necessarily have to be vegan at this point, but to help steer me in the right direction for the time being, ya know?

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31615
03/27/06 07:21 PM
03/27/06 07:21 PM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Stephanie, I am wondering about peas/beans and lentils. These are high in protein and cheap to buy. Some nuts are higher in protein also. Mrs. White says around 7 almonds a day gives us enough protein for the day. I am very much paraphrasing but could find the quote if you want it.

One thing to remember is that often doctors think we must have a certain amount of protein but I don't believe it is all that necessary. Science is starting to show that we don't need as much protein as they thought in the past, and it shows in the new us gov. pyramid. I understand that not all the protein you eat is actually absorbed so that you must eat more, but you might want to just double check to make sure you are not getting too much.

You showed a sample of how you might eat in one day and it seemed it was mostly bread and protein with a salad. I didn't see any fruit. I believe the pyramid says we should have some fruit every day (I'm sure you do on most days) and I do understand that you must have very small amounts compared to the pyramid which is for a normal adult who hasn't had the surgery you've had.

Of course you are under a doctors care and doing all you can to be healthy. I just don't believe meat is as healthy as it used to be--especially in fast food places. And I believe in our household we actually eat cheaper buying fresh foods rather than so many processed foods--but we are fortunate to have a good health food store here where I live. Many things are in bulk form so cheaper to buy.

I'm sorry you must live in an apartment. This could not be easy, especially with children.

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31616
03/27/06 07:48 PM
03/27/06 07:48 PM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Stephanie--I forgot to congratulate you about your pregnancy!! That's just great!! I pray God will bless you abundantly and your little family too.

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31617
03/28/06 12:49 AM
03/28/06 12:49 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Debbie,
Good to see you again [Smile] I have one tiny thing about your pasta sauce recipe, and that is the use of canola oil. I forwarded an article to my wife about the harm that this oil causes, and it would be better to use cold pressed Olive Oil, which I believe thats how it is processed. Confirm that the Olive Oil is cold pressed, and get extra virgin. All in all that recipe is something we will have to try out as it is making me hungry.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31618
03/28/06 01:32 AM
03/28/06 01:32 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Thanks Will, I didn't know about canola oil. I plan to make my own pasta sauce this summer with tomatoes out of my garden!! That way I'll avoid the oil altogether! [Smile]

I'm convinced the more simple our diet, the better.

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31619
03/28/06 01:16 PM
03/28/06 01:16 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
Debbie,

As I stated at the beginning of the list(s), I have not checked every article personally. It may not be every style of Pregu sauce. I also notice that what they mention is enzymes that are the culprit. These can easily be disguised under labeling laws. The best thing to do is call the company, bigger ones usually have an "800" number and ask them specifically. Give them as much information as you deem necessary as far as why you want to know (dietary allergies, religious restrictions, etc).

One thing I want to mention is "fake" meats. There are basically no controls over fake meats. A number of them actually do have "meat" proteins in them. A larger number are also made on the same machinary that makes real meats. "Spices" are the area where a number of these companies can introduce what they want into the ingredients. If a company buys "spices" from another company, they only have to label it as "spices", they don't have to break down what those spices are since they didn't produce them. Spice companies are now a multi-million dollar operation and the ones I have been in make both natural (using real ingredients) and artificial (no real ingredients). When it comes to meat flavorings, the natural ingredients take the meat source and waters it down until the government no longer considers it meat, then it can be added to "vegetarian" foods though it still contains animal proteins. Sneaky, but perfectly legal!

For the record, the company that makes the spices for Gardenburger told me that their spices were 100% synthetic (in this case, natural ingredients with NO animal sources) but I have yet to find Gardenburger without cheese, so it really doesn't matter.

Final note, we are NOT to judge those who may still be eating meat. In this area God alone knows who is not able to give up meat and who are only deceiving themselves that they are not capable of eating better. Unfortunately, I agree with not being able to eat at potlucks as the official church stance is lacto-ovo vegetarian. While this denies Ellen White's final comments on the matter, it is what the leadership has stated.

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31620
03/29/06 04:22 AM
03/29/06 04:22 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Thank you Bill for your information.

I wasn't trying to "judge" anyone because they eat meat. I'm sorry it came across that way because it wasn't meant to be that way.

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31621
04/11/06 06:52 AM
04/11/06 06:52 AM
B
Bobby  Offline OP
British Columbia
Quote:

Here are the ingredients to my Prego Pasta Sauce:

Tomato puree (water, tomato paste)
Diced tomatoes in tomato juice
Corn syrup
Onions
Mushrooms
Garlic
Vegetable oil (corn and/or Cottonseed and/or canola)
Salt
Spices (basil,oregano,spice)
Citric Acid
Dehydrated parsley

Do you see anywhere on this list where a hidden ingredient could be? I'm not trying to find excuses to use the product, believe me! I grow my own garden and I'm making my own pasta sauce from now on--but I would like to know.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill already touched on the spices part of things so I don't need to repeat it. And you will find that very same scenario in many food industry situations. If you ever have a chance, read the book; "Fast Food Nation" Eric Schlossler. He goes on to state the chemical concoction of the strawberry flavouring of a milkshake and it is quite extensive. Anytime you see the ingredient listed as "natural flavours" or "artificical flavours", they are more alike than different. One of those "flavors" can be an easy 100 ingredients, mostly chemicals.

Pop is one the worst on the market as most of them are predominantly a chemical brew and sugars.

It is all too apparent. If we are to stay safe, we need to get back to God's way and the original diet. Satan has perverted this entire food industry to the point that we have no idea what we are eating anymore.

Now, I got sidetracked and forgot what I was responding to. Oh yes, regarding the corn syrup and the vegetable oil. Corn syrup is generally the cheapest form of sweetener for the food industry and even Kelloggs has bought into the corn market since GMO's (genetically modified organisms) became a popular way to grow things.

Someone else mentioned cold pressed olive oil as a substitute for vegetable oil. Any oil cold pressed (but Olive oil is best) is better than regular oil. Saturated fats are predominantly animal source, except for Palm and cotton seed oil, which are no better anyway, and cheap for the food industry. Saturated fats are not good at all. Trans fats are worse, and I have noticed that in many chocolate bars fat content (trans/saturated fats)are around 20-27% depending on the chocolate bar. Poly-unsaturated fats and mono-unsaturated fats are the natural oils like Olive oil and what naturally occurs in the seeds, and nuts we eat. (avocado is another source)

Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31622
04/25/06 04:58 PM
04/25/06 04:58 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In some cases, maybe even in most cases, these additives are probably worse than eating clean flesh food.

Have you noticed the additives in the imitation meat products?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Additives to be aware of in our food items #31623
05/06/06 11:58 AM
05/06/06 11:58 AM
Civil  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
USA
Quote:

Stephanie, I am wondering about peas/beans and lentils. These are high in protein and cheap to buy. Some nuts are higher in protein also. Mrs. White says around 7 almonds a day gives us enough protein for the day. I am very much paraphrasing but could find the quote if you want it.

Hi, I would be interested in that quote, if you have it. I am developing more and more 'resistance' to beans.

"Life is not so much about where you are, but about where you are headed, so focus not on perfection, but on direction. Every step takes you to a destination."
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!