HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Future of SDA Celebration churches #33989
06/07/04 02:15 PM
06/07/04 02:15 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
The celebration churches are going wild in America. I just walked out of a church service where the drums were playing the rock beat wildly and everyone was swaying with hands up in the air to the songs on a screen. This happened in a very large church during a college alumni week-end.

So does anyone have any ideas of what will happen when people get tired of all this? Where will the pendelum swing???

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33990
06/07/04 02:43 PM
06/07/04 02:43 PM
P
Pete P Pete  Offline
Eastern WV
I believe you should describe this experience to the NAD President, Don Schneider and report back his reaction.

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33991
06/08/04 12:17 AM
06/08/04 12:17 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Good idea Pete, what do you think his reaction would be?

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33992
06/11/04 03:23 AM
06/11/04 03:23 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Where will the pendelum swing? Well, unless something happens to stop our churches, we will become more and more like the Pentecostal churches. One day we will get tired of all the loud singing with drums, etc. and the pendelum will swing in the exact opposite direction - going the route of the Catholic Church in its solemn quiet church services.

IMHO

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33993
06/10/04 06:49 PM
06/10/04 06:49 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
What are the identifying chatacteristics of a 'celebration style' church? Aside from the infusing of rock music for praise time.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33994
06/11/04 11:05 AM
06/11/04 11:05 AM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline
England
THE IDOLATRY OF TRYING TO BRING GOD DOWN TO OUR OWN HUMAN LEVEL

I have thought about this alot this morning, and here is my view on it. I am hoping someone will be able to understand what it is I mean. I think the way the pendulum will swing is going to be in a complete disrespect for both God and the Gospel.

All throughout the history of mankind, people have attempted to create idols to make God look like the created being.. like the creature instead of the Creator.

When I ponder over this issue of the "celebration" type music being used in many Christian Churches today, I think of it as coming down to this... it is an attempt to bring God down to our level. And I think there is this idea that this is somehow a "good" thing because then we realize God loves us, He is our friend, and so on. So it all appears to be innocent. And along with that, those who oppose this idea are sometimes viewed as being Pharisees who are legalists and who view God as harsh and as "not one of us" and so on.

But really, what are the results of trying to bring God down to our level? and should we attempt to do that in the first place?

Professor Edwards A. Park, in setting forth the current religious perils, ably says: "One source of danger is the neglect of the pulpit to enforce the divine law. In former days the pulpit was an echo of the voice of conscience. . . . Our most illustrious preachers gave a wonderful majesty to their discourses by following the example of the Master, and giving prominence to the law, its precepts, and its threatenings. They repeated the two great maxims, that the law is a transcript of the divine perfections, and that a man who does not love the law does not love the gospel; for the law, as well as the gospel, is a mirror reflecting the true character of God. This peril leads to another, that of underrating the evil of sin, the extent of it, the demerit of it. In proportion to the rightfulness of the commandment is the wrongfulness of disobeying it. . . .

The chapter on Modern Revivals from the Great Controvery really reminds me of the issues in this, in that some try to get rid of the awful majesty of God and bring Him down to our level.

They attempt to constantly dwell upon God's love while leaving out the respect for God and for His Law... and what are the results? Read below:

Great Controversy pg. 445,446
"Affiliated to the dangers already named is the danger of underestimating the justice of God. The tendency of the modern pulpit is to strain out the divine justice from the divine benevolence, to sink benevolence into a sentiment rather than exalt it into a principle. The new theological prism puts asunder what God has joined together. Is the divine law a good or an evil? It is a good. Then justice is good; for it is a disposition to execute the law. From the habit of underrating the divine law and justice, the extent and demerit of human disobedience, men easily slide into the habit of underestimating the grace which has provided an atonement for sin." Thus the gospel loses its value and importance in the minds of men, and soon they are ready practically to cast aside the Bible itself.
Many religious teachers assert that Christ by His death abolished the law, and men are henceforth free from its requirements. There are some who represent it as a grievous yoke, and in contrast to the bondage of the law they present the liberty to be enjoyed under the gospel.

But not so did prophets and apostles regard the holy law of God. Said David: "I will walk at liberty: for I seek Thy precepts." Psalm 119:45."

...the results of leaving out the one side of God's character... which is the law, His authority, His Judgments... is to then bring down the concept of grace and His love. It becomes a mere human sentiment and soon the respect for God is gone.

This I believe is the same result in trying to bring God down to our own human level when it comes to our music. The issue isnt US, really... the issue is GOD. We try to focus on "what God did for US" so much that we lose the idea of who God really is.

Saying or singing in a "Heartfelt" and sincere manner does not mean we have to be irreverant:

Gospel Workers. 1915., page 176, paragraph 3
Chapter Title: The Minister in the Pulpit
Reverence in Prayer
Some think it a mark of humility to pray to God in a common manner, as if talking with a human being. They profane His name by needlessly and irreverently mingling with their prayers the words, "God Almighty,"--awful, sacred words, which should never pass the lips except in subdued tones and with a feeling of awe.
It is the heart-felt prayer of faith that is heard in heaven and answered on earth. God understands the needs of humanity. He knows what we desire before we ask Him. He sees the soul's conflict with doubt and temptation. He marks the sincerity of the suppliant. He will accept the humiliation and affliction of the soul. "To this man will I look," He declares, "even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My word."[2 ISA. 66:2.]

Testimonies for the Church Volume One, page 410, paragraph 1
Chapter Title: The Cause in the East
Holy angels have been displeased and disgusted with the irreverent manner in which many have used the name of God, the great Jehovah. Angels mention that sacred name with the greatest awe, ever veiling their faces when they speak the name of God; and the name of Christ is so sacred to them that they speak it with the greatest reverence. But how opposite the spirit and influence attending the 1854 time movement. Some who are still under the same influence speak of God as they would of a horse or of any other commonplace thing. In their prayers they use the words God Almighty in a very common and irreverent manner. Those who do this have no sense of the exalted character of God, of Christ, or of heavenly things.

We dont have to act and sing as if God were a human being and we were at Mc Donald's just to try to show how "chummy" we are with God.

We need to stop trying to bring God down to our human level. It ends up diminishing God in our minds... and it ends up diminishing the value of the Gospel in my opinion. In Great Controversy we are told that there would be both wise and foolish virgins... the great characteristic of the foolish would be that they showed lots of EMOTION yet were superficial. There is a great play for emotionalism in the Celebration Movement which passes for a deep love of God... supposedly a deeper love for God than "those legalistic Pharisees" who insist upon showing reverence and respect for God, even in how they conduct their music.

Claudia

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33995
06/11/04 02:24 PM
06/11/04 02:24 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Claudia,you are so right and I appreciate the quotations you put in from Mrs. White.

Will, I was thinking about my experience in seeing "celebration" style worship. They were using ccm up on a screen in the large church with people standing up and their hands up in the air singing the words with a drum set up on the state along with about six young college people who were swaying with the music beat, hands up in the air. That is when I left, I couldn't take it anymore. I went and sat in my car and read my Bible.

Other characteristics of celebration is bringing food and drink into the Sanctuary, there is also a lack of reverence with lots of talking, visiting and laughing. The music is sometimes with a loud rock beat (not always) and the serving of coffee/cocoa and donuts, etc. It depends on the church exactly what they do but these are some of the things they do.

Claudia is right, this is another form of idol worship. This is so sad to see. I expect that soon we will see actual dancing...lots of things to please the "senses." Actually I saw a little girl dance out in the isle once to the beat of the music...the little girl was just doing what came naturally in hearing the dance-style of music. I also saw an older lady dancing too.

It seems to go along with many SDA's now wearing jewelry, including men. To me this is a clear sign that we are going backwards in spirituality rather than forwards.

We are living in the antypical day of atonement, a time when we are to "afflict" our souls, to make everything right with God, to make a deeper committment to follow Him, this is NOT a time to celebrate.

Re: Future of SDA Celebration churches #33996
06/12/04 03:17 AM
06/12/04 03:17 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Good words Claudia. The Modern Revivals chapter in GC is quite interesting and I think it is true today.

Debbie. Thanks for that informaiton because there are many things I see that are rather strange, and with the trend of new marketing fads disguised as outreach programs there are some techniques that just poush Jesus out of the way and focus on "self", and "How you can find your purpose".. God makes the increase, so it is not on our own strength.
After your description of serving coffee\cocoa and donuts it reminds me of what some of the other Sunday keeping churches do.. Was this in an SDA church?
We can see then that 'celebration' style of worship is not limited to just raising your hands, but using the same approach as we see in the more 'mainstream, romish' "protestant" churches such as food in the Sanctuary, irreverance, etc etc.. If the service does not focus on Christ and we see the the lack of reverance and piety of what was in the early church then how do we expect to receive the latter rain?

I talk with a publushed writer who came from those psuedo charismatic\pentecostal dubbed 'non-denominational' denominations and he has quite a bit to share on this subject.

Check out www.remnantresearch.com, and read up onsome of the articles that have been published. The name of the author is Fred Volz, and he is a good God fearing Seventh-Day Adventist who has a lot to share, so his work is definitely worth the reading [Smile]

God Bless,
Will

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!