HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46651
07/22/03 11:13 PM
07/22/03 11:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Daryl, I totally agree that love is an action, but I think where we disagree is what action?

If I see someone in danger, I help them. If someone asks for help, I give it to them, etc…

This is what Jesus and Paul emphasized and demonstrated by their life.

So what Paul is saying is that by helping this person I have fulfilled the law.

So yes, love is a verb, but the action is not specific to the tables of stone.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46652
07/23/03 12:00 PM
07/23/03 12:00 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Lobo,

I see where the difficulty lies:
quote:
Yours: Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children.

KJV: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

The problem is that you are attempting to arrive at doctrine from a paraphrase instead of a translation. Vs. 7 doesn't mention Israel/Jacob at all, by name or by pronoun.

What vs. 7 is saying is that not all the descendants of Abraham are really Abraham's children.

So not all the descendants of Abraham are really his children, and not all the descendants of Isaac are really his children, and not all the descendants of Jacob are really his children. It's only the children of promise that are counted as the seed, as children, and that includes Gentiles too.

You ask why Paul mentions the Jew first. Well, Christ and the disciples sought to reach the Jews first with the gospel. But remember that the very next verse, Rom. 2:11, says "For there is no respect of persons with God." All are counted as the seed if they are the children of promise.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46653
07/23/03 12:10 PM
07/23/03 12:10 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Lobo,

quote:
So Paul is literally stating that if I love my fellow man I have (completed act) fulfilled the law without actually attempting to follow any of it.
That's not quite what Paul said. He was pointing out that those who truly love their neighbor as themselves will not murder, steal, or commit adultery.

Likewise, what Paul did not mention is also true: that those who love God with all their heart will not blaspheme or have other gods before Him. And when they learn that He asks them not to bow down to images, they'll do that commandment too. Out of love.

When Jesus spoke about the keeping of His commandments, He was referring to all His commandments, including the 10 He gave on Mt. Sinai. After all, it was Jesus who was on Mt. Sinai.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46654
07/23/03 04:07 PM
07/23/03 04:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

The problem is that you are attempting to arrive at doctrine from a paraphrase instead of a translation. Vs. 7 doesn't mention Israel/Jacob at all, by name or by pronoun.

Bob, the NIV is not a paraphrase, it’s a contextual translation. The KJV tried to do a word for word translation, while the NIV looked at the context to help with the determination of what the writers intent was. As in English, many of the Greek and Hebrew words have more than one meaning. So unless you know the context at times you may not know what the writers intent was. That is why the KJV works well for those that proof-text, because it translated the words without regard to context. That is Why the KJV in Hebrews states that it was Jesus leading Israel into the Promised Land and not Joshua.

I prefer a contextual translation as it just doesn’t use the most common meaning of a word, but uses the context to determine what the writer actual meant.

quote:

So not all the descendants of Abraham are really his children, and not all the descendants of Isaac are really his children, and not all the descendants of Jacob are really his children. It's only the children of promise that are counted as the seed, as children, and that includes Gentiles too.

You are misinterpreting these texts. Nowhere does Paul indicate that the seed of Isaac or Jacob are “children of promise”. The “Promise” (“you will be the father of many nations”) was made exclusively with Abraham. So the “children of promise” literally means a “seed of Abraham”. Nowhere does it say that the “seed of Isaac or Jacob” will relate to “many nations” or the “children of the promise”.

quote:

That's not quite what Paul said. He was pointing out that those who truly love their neighbor as themselves will not murder, steal, or commit adultery.

Likewise, what Paul did not mention is also true: that those who love God with all their heart will not blaspheme or have other gods before Him. And when they learn that He asks them not to bow down to images, they'll do that commandment too. Out of love.

I think you should look up and see what the Greek word translated “fulfilled” means. You will find that it is complete, accomplished, to bring about. Also, one can follow all the tables of stone and still not help others who are in distress, put others first, and not have slaves, etc..

The moral level of the Ten C’s is way below the level Jesus called us to. So stating that we show love to our fellow man by following them is not what Jesus required.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46655
07/24/03 10:42 AM
07/24/03 10:42 AM
M
marcel  Offline
Posting New Member
Cape Town, South Africa
Daryl,

The SDA leadership, like anybody else, must earn respect. It is evident to me that the leadership does not generally respect the membership.

It is clear to me that this forum will not allow the truth re present SDA heresies.

You are therefore most welcome to remove my posting privileges as I will in any case not be posting on this forum again.

Regards

Marcel de Groot for SDA Reform

===========

Reference to a removed topic was edited out in this post. As far as respecting leadership goes, I shall begin a new topic regarding this. As far as doctrines goes, we are allowing discussion of them in this forum as separate topics for each doctrine which is limited to the study of these doctrines, etc.; not a blanket statement attack on the Seventh-day Adventist church and/or its leaders. If you can't respect our forum rules, then you are welcome to go elsewhere, or, if you will stay within our forum rules, continue to participate here with us. - Daryl Fawcett, Administrator.

[ July 24, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46656
07/24/03 02:23 PM
07/24/03 02:23 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
The NIV gives many examples of how it is a paraphrase, not a translation. Its repeated ommissions from and additions to the Greek text are proof of that.

And those ommissions and additions have often more to do with the bias of the paraphraser rather than the context. For example, there is no contextual reason for ommiting "having" from heb. 10:1.

Check the original languages before making any conclusions based on the NIV.

quote:
Nowhere does Paul indicate that the seed of Isaac or Jacob are "children of promise".
He does in Rom. 9:7, 8. He specifically identifies the children of promise as being the seed called "in" Isaac.
quote:
The moral level of the Ten C?s is way below the level Jesus called us to.
Then why did Jesus give us the 10 Commandments? Why did He speak them from Sinai?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46657
07/24/03 02:26 PM
07/24/03 02:26 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Marcel,

I've never seen a case where the leadership didn't respect the membership. But there are some members out there who have done some things that necessitate their earning back the respect they used to receive.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46658
07/24/03 10:05 PM
07/24/03 10:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

He does in Rom. 9:7, 8. He specifically identifies the children of promise as being the seed called "in" Isaac.

Bob, you are in error, Paul is specifically talking about the “children of the flesh”. Gentiles were never called that and are not physically (flesh) from the line of Isaac.

“But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, 7nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, "In Isaac your seed shall be called." 8That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.” (Note – this is the NKJV, do you like it better?)

quote:

Then why did Jesus give us the 10 Commandments? Why did He speak them from Sinai?

Please show me one text were God gave the Ten C’s to Gentiles as a people like Israel? If not, this was never given to gentiles.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46659
07/25/03 11:47 AM
07/25/03 11:47 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Lobo, "you are in error, Paul is specifically" contrasting the children of the flesh with the children of promise:
quote:
Romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
The context of this verse does not narrow down the meaning of "children of promise" to only a small group of "children of the flesh." Such an idea goes contrary to Paul's argument.

You are wrong that "Gentiles were never called that." There are but three texts in the KJV that use both the words "children" and "promise," and all three mention or refer to Gentiles:
quote:
Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off [Gentiles], even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Galatians 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. [The context is pretty plain.]

Not once do we have an explicit verse that contradicts these Scriptures, that says that only a child of the flesh is a child of promise.
quote:
Please show me one text were God gave the Ten C?s to Gentiles as a people like Israel? If not, this was never given to gentiles.
One question at a time.

You do agree, then, that Jesus is the One who gave the 10 on Sinai, and that thus when He said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments," He could easily have been referring to the 10 as well, since those are His commandments too? (I ask if you agree because in your replies I can detect no hint that you do not.)

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46660
07/25/03 11:15 PM
07/25/03 11:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob,
First, I am not confused as what the conflict is as I agree that the children of the flesh are not the same as the children of promise. However, they are the same as the seed of Isaac.

In other words,

Seed of Isaac = children of the flesh only (Jews)
Seed of Abraham (Promise) = the seed of Isaac and gentiles collectively called the seed of Abraham of children of God.

Do you agree or not agree?

Next, Jesus gave all the 613 laws. So we could also say that he was referring to all the law when he stated "If ye love me, keep my commandments,”, not just the ten and not just His new law of Love. However, when you look at all the scripture in the NT related to Jesus “commands” they are never used synonymously with the torah or tables of stone. However, His command are used in direct relationship to His love command.

So it is possible that all the 613 laws were included in Jesus statement "If ye love me, keep my commandments," but it is not likely based on the context and all the other precedence. However, one thing is clear and that He did not mean just the tables of stone because neither he noir any other Jew made a distinction of the ten from the rest of the law. It was all the law and had equal weight.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!