HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
NIV vs KJV #74175
05/08/06 07:41 PM
05/08/06 07:41 PM
B
bethybug  Offline OP
Ga
I am not sure which section to post this in so feel free to move it to wherever it needs to be. I did not see this topic anywhere but I wondered if anyone has a problem with using other versions of the Bible ....other than the King James version. I see that the NIV is being used a lot in the church sermons and in the quarterly. I have done quite a bit of comparing and find this to be a problem for myself. There are a lot of differences in the meaning of the texts in the NIV and others. In giving Bible studies I have found that the answers to the questions are not accurate when using the NIV at times. I wonder why we are using this version.

Re: NIV vs KJV #74176
05/08/06 08:16 PM
05/08/06 08:16 PM
P
Pete P Pete  Offline
Eastern WV
Take a look at: http://tinyurl.com/lotxg

I'm of the opinion that the comments on the versions will never cease and that's OK so long as participants allow others to have a different opinion.

Personally, I can read either the KJV or NIV; however,I have often found that when there is an alternate translation as given by the SDA Commentary that it often follows the NIV translation.I believe we can benefit by comparing and using the Commentary.

Re: NIV vs KJV #74177
05/09/06 05:09 PM
05/09/06 05:09 PM
S
Stephanie Suranyi  Offline
Charter Member
near Chicago, IL , USA
I think the NIV is ok if you want to clarify something in the KJV.....but I have trouble undersanding the NIV! LOL I, personally, use the NKJV. I find the KJV difficult to understand at times, but the NIV and I don't get along at all! I think the NIV is supposed to be closer to "plain English" which is why I probably have problems with it. Does that make sense?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and HE will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5,6

For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
Stephanie
Re: NIV vs KJV #74178
05/09/06 06:54 PM
05/09/06 06:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why the NIV is used is easy to see: it's much easier to understand! In terms of accuracy, I would trust the KJV much more than the NIV. If they two disagree, a large percentage of the time I would suspect the KJV would be more accurate.

Personally I think it's good to use many different versions, the more the better. On line it's very easy to look up an interlinear Greek New Testatament (or Hebrew), so you can take a look at the original language and look at things as closely as you like. But for most cases, it's not so necessarily to look at things to finely. Bear in mind, many of the books in Bibles were origanally meant to be read at one hearing. There's no way the original author was concerned with some fine meaning of this or that word. The author is trying to convery meaning, and comparing different versions is a good way, IMO, to try to get at the original meaning.

Having said that, the KJV is still my favorite.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74179
05/10/06 06:28 AM
05/10/06 06:28 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
In 1930, despite opposition from the General Conference, B.J. Wilkinson published 'Our Authorized Bible Vindicated'. Wilkinson was Dean of Theology at Washington Missionary College (SDA) in Takoma Park, D.C.

This classic text reveals two distinct manuscript sources for today's Bibles, one relatively pure, from which springs the King James Version. The other is a corrupted stream and the source for Roman Catholic and most modern Bibles (e.g NIV). After reading Wilkinson's book one understands the reason for confusion in the churches. Ellen White corroborates his findings when speaking of the Waldenses - "They had the truth unadulterated, and this rendered them the special objects of hatred and persecution." GC 65. Perhaps this was a prophetic type for the last days.

All those interested in Bible study would benefit from reading Wilkinson's book. It is reprinted by Leaves of Autumn in Payson, Arizona. When the G.C. responded strongly against the book and its author, Wilkinson issued a companion volume to answer the unfounded charges of faulty scholarship, 'Answers to Objections to Our Authorized Bible'. He may be one of our last truly protestant scholars. Sola Scriptura.

Is God able to protect His Word? Certainly; almost 400 years as our English Bible. Does Satan seek to draw us from the pure stream of Life? Yes, but not with book bonfires of the past. Instead, subtle corruptions which confuse our study.

In my opinion the more versions, the more confusion, and this by design. I can safely recommend the King James Version. As well, Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, published 1890. Available at any Christian bookstore and most public libraries. Verify that the Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries are included. Avoid abridged versions of Strong's.

Serious Bible students will be blessed to own the New Englishman's Hebrew and Greek Concordances, by George V. Wigram. (Published 1843 & 1844). (Hendrickson Publishers)

The Bible is our Great Treasure House. We must mine it to the depths. "None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict" GC 593.

Tom may be correct that the original human writer was unaware of the significance or depth of the inspired words he penned. While Daniel faithfully recorded the Word of God, he 'fainted, and was sick certain days..and..was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.' Daniel 8:27. From your posts Brother Tom I am sure you recognize the Original Author as He 'Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.' 1 Timothy 6:16.

Let us remember the awesome infinite power of the Word of God. "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth...For he spake, and it was done; he commanded and it stood fast." Psalm 33:6,9. At this Word the dead are raised. By this Word the evil heart of man is recreated. Redemption is in the Word.

'The whole Bible is a manifestation of Christ'. Signs of the Times, March 26, 1906.

'If you would become better acquainted with the Saviour, study the Scriptures.' Signs of the Times, April 18, 1906.

'Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,rightly dividing the word of truth' 2 Timothy 2:15. 'For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little and there a little' Isaiah 28:10.

Gordon

Last edited by gordonb1; 05/10/06 07:23 AM.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74180
05/10/06 10:37 AM
05/10/06 10:37 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
One reason why reading several different translations is a good idea is that our western languages are quite different from anicent greec and even more so from anicent hebrew. To give one example, one word (shalem) can either be translated "complete", "safe", "peaceful", "perfect", "whole", "full", "at peace". But it can only be translated into one of these at any one time in english while it may include several or all of these meanings in hebrew, even at the same time. To the limit oneself to just one english translation would possibly cut of 6/7 of the meaning.

As for the history of the KJV, it is said that its translators had much help from the Tyndale translation which in turn had help from Erasmus of Rotterdams translation which in turn was accepted by the See in Rome. For instance it is told that there is one passage where Erasmus had made his translation out of the manuscripts aviable. He was then approached and asked to add two additional verses that he hadnt found in the greek texts he had and therefore he refused to ad those texts. Some time later one suitable greek manuscript was suddenly "found" and Erasmus had to stay at his word. That new find is dated to that very time and was probably manufactured in some monastery suitably far away. This text by the way is part of KJVs foundation..

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: NIV vs KJV #74181
05/11/06 02:23 AM
05/11/06 02:23 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
NIV or KJV?

Well this is interesting, has anyone taken the time to compare the Book of Hebrews from both books?
The NIV, waters down the Sabbath so much that one would ask why we need to keep it if they did not know better.
On top of that, there are many text left out of the NIV which are in the original text. The “scholars of the NIV claim that the text was not really there in the original manuscripts. For example in the NIV, one cannot learn how to have the faith of a mustard seed, for the “scholars” deemed it un-necessary to add, claiming that it was not in the original text. But here it is for you to compare.

Matthew 17:20-21(KJV) “And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.”
Matthew 17:20-21 (NIV) “20He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. When they came together in Galilee, he said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men.”

Footnotes:
· Matthew 17:20 Some manuscripts you. 21 But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.
By not teaching how you can receive this kind of faith that Jesus talked about and said was there for us, they weaken and deprive the people of this very important passage. Why?
Compare John 3:16.
KJV “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
NIV “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
Notice the word “should” in the KJV and then compare that to the word “shall” in the NIV. Is this the same meaning?????
How about Revelation 14:12, this is a hallmark of Adventism what do the two teach?
KJV “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”
NIV “This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus.”
Please notice that the KJV teaches what the Saints have “patience” and what they do, they keep the Commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus. What kind of Faith do the saints have? Why the same faith that Jesus had when He walked this earth some 2000 years ago. Total faith and dependence upon the Father, for every breath, every heart beat, a total faith that the Almighty God who is in charge this is what the Saints will have. Is this what the NIV teaches? NO.

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74182
05/11/06 05:13 AM
05/11/06 05:13 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
David
I would like to remind you that if you are to compare translations to see which one is best, you compare each of the translations to the original and not to eachother. If you compare one translation with another translation all you can produce is your likes and dislikes. Only if you compare to the original and can say that one or the other is closer to it you will have a case which goes beyond mere opinion.

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: NIV vs KJV #74183
05/11/06 12:52 PM
05/11/06 12:52 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Quote:

David
I would like to remind you that if you are to compare translations to see which one is best, you compare each of the translations to the original and not to eachother. If you compare one translation with another translation all you can produce is your likes and dislikes. Only if you compare to the original and can say that one or the other is closer to it you will have a case which goes beyond mere opinion.

/Thomas

Absolutely correct. But even so, all you are left with is a better understanding of what the men who wrote the originals understood. That is not necessarily what the Creator is or was thinking.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74184
05/11/06 06:53 PM
05/11/06 06:53 PM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

David

/Thomas

Do you have original copies? If so I would like to get copies.

The problem with you statement is that most people cannot get original copies of the Bible and we are left to what is on the store shelves or that has been given to us.
The founders used the KJV the Holy Spirit used this Bible to bring the SDA church up, why use another version? There are times that you may find a better description in another version. However you need to make sure it does not change the meaning.
In the verses that I supplied I noticed that you did not comment on the changes that the NIV makes. Did you not see the changes?

Satan and the Catholic Church have tried for over 400 years to destroy the KJV. They have not been able to this, so what do they do? They have undermined the KJV by putting out secret codex’s that where found in their libraries that no one ever knew about before and said that these codex’s are older and better. Well the world fell for it and many today in the SDA church have no faith in the KJV because of the lies of the first beast of Revelation.
Stick with what God used to bring up this church and be safe.

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!