HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: NIV vs KJV #74205
05/24/06 07:43 PM
05/24/06 07:43 PM
S
Stephanie Suranyi  Offline
Charter Member
near Chicago, IL , USA
Yeah, looks like old English to me as well..........and while it might be a little difficult to follow at first, given some time, it is actually rather easy. Sorry, I know this next part is off topic, but looking at the spelling of some of hte words brought to mind the epic Beowulf....which i HAD to read in my senior year in high school. I was SOOOO glad to be done with it....but it helped me to be able to read "olde" English! :-)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and HE will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5,6

For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
Stephanie
Re: NIV vs KJV #74206
05/24/06 09:21 PM
05/24/06 09:21 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Well, if you would look at the publishing dates posted above the quotes you would see that it not only looks like old English but that it in fact is old english.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: NIV vs KJV #74207
05/25/06 01:18 AM
05/25/06 01:18 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I know enough of both the NIV and the KJV to say that the KJV should be used as the main English language Bible in Bible study.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: NIV vs KJV #74208
05/25/06 08:44 AM
05/25/06 08:44 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Would you elaborate on that Daryl?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: NIV vs KJV #74209
05/25/06 11:59 PM
05/25/06 11:59 PM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Compare the NIV to the corrupt latin vulgate and you can see how the NIV has a very strong catholic background.
I have a old catholic english translated latin vulgate. Interesting read.

I have a question, what Bible did William Miller use? Or Elder J White and other founders us? It was the KJV and in a few cases they used a Interlinear Bible. It was not until the late 1800's did they start qouting the RV. When they did qoute this other Bible did not change the meaning nor did it bring in confussion.

Since the KJV was good enough for the founders and it was the Bible the the Holy Spirit worked through it should be good enough for every SDA memeber and non memeber.

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74210
05/26/06 12:47 AM
05/26/06 12:47 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
NIV or KJV?

Sorry for the delay, just finished a 1600 mile move and just got back online.

“Found a difference in the fourth chapter. The NIV says "They shall never enter my rest." while the KJV says "If they shall enter into my rest". A real difference. I couldnt understand the difference until I got the idea to check what Paul was quoting. Apparently he is quoting the 95th psalm which says in its last verse KJV "11Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.
" The KJV in Hebrews is the only way to translate it according to the Strongs concordance. And it appears that NIV chose its translation from the original psalm. What to do with this I do not know.”

This is what I do with it J
In some KJV bibles in the margin it will read, “If they shall enter my rest” this is the correct translation by the Received Text.
Different KJV publishers have changed the margin readings. I have found so far anyway, that the Cambridge Bible is one of the best I have seen.
I believe that Paul was referring to the people that have hardened their hearts toward Christ and the truth they may not enter into His rest unless they change.

Concerning Matthew 17:20

With this quote I would add the previous verses which says:

18And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.

19Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?

20And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

21Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Is the praying and fasting refering to gaining faith or is it refering to the casting out of demons?

I would say that it could be both. However, in this context it would be the casting out of satan and his fallen angels, as well it can pertain to any need that we may have throughout our lives.

Compare John 3:16.
No, you are right. "Should" indicates a possibility while "shall" indicates a sertainity. Acording to KJV believing in God does not nessessarily mean you will not perish. What to do with that?

If I only believe in God then can this save me? If so, satan believes in God will he be saved also?
There is more to Salvation than just believing in God, is there not? Galatians 2:8-10 for one thing.

What the Concordance entry for the word translated patience in KJV says:

Outline of Biblical Usage
1) steadfastness, constancy, endurance

a) in the NT the characteristic of a man who is not swerved from his deliberate purpose and his loyalty to faith and piety by even the greatest trials and sufferings

b) patiently, and steadfastly

2) a patient, steadfast waiting for

3) a patient enduring, sustaining, perseverance
For Synonyms see entry 5861

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 32
AV - patience 29, enduring 1, patient continuance 1,
patient waiting 1; 32

From this we see that "patient endurance" is a valid translation and that "patient waiting" is the translation most often used in the KJV for this greek word. This in my opinion means that there isnt much of a case for "one is right, the other is wrong" in this particular case.

/Thomas

I would say that from the writings of the founders that they used the KJV and the Holy Spirit used this Bible to bring up this movement why should we use another "bible"? Also, the KJV has stood the test of time. The first beast of Revelation has tried to destroy the KJV and could not. Since the whore of Babylon could not destroy the KJV out right what did she do? She put out more corrupt texts, claiming that they were older and better and some false teaches jumped on it and retranslated the "bible". These new translations undermine the KJV. Where did these “new” older texts come from and where were they found?????? Hint, two places

Also, a point about the NIV, some of the manuscripts that was used in its writings came from a man named "Gephart" (might be misspelled), who was a high priest for Hitler(WWII)Him and his son wrote their own "bible" translation. Some of their translation was included into the NIV. By the way "Gephart" was tried for war crimes at the end of WWII and found guilty and hung.

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74211
05/26/06 01:01 AM
05/26/06 01:01 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Just a little story about translations. I knew a lady who was giving Bible studies to a Catholic couple who insisted on using their Bible. She ended up proving to them that the Sabbath was the 7th day using the Catholic Bible. I found that interesting.

Redfog

The Catholic D R Bible is very similar to the KJV. Not suprising this bible has a strong Jesuit hand in it. It also came out really close tothe time that the KJV came out. The Catholic D R was to combat the KJV.

Peace and Grace
David

Re: NIV vs KJV #74212
05/26/06 05:46 AM
05/26/06 05:46 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I had read somewhere that the pilgrims who came over on the Mayflower did not use the KJV because it was "politically correct" and they felt that King James was under Catholic influence, and the version the chose was the Geneva Bible. I cant confirm if this is true or not, but I will look into this further.
Now on the otherhand making a statement that every SDA should be using the KJV doesn't ring to well with me since I am of a Hispanic background, in fact Hisoanic background,foreground, inside and out A Bible translation that came out before the KJV was called Reina Valera, and there is a 1960 revised edition of this Bible, and it is a Protestant Bible translation. When my autn reads verses to me over the phone while discussing deep things, it brings memories of my childhood where we used that Bible, the words are very powerful. Anyways something to think about considering not every SDA speaks English, or prefers the English language.
God Bless,
Will

Re: NIV vs KJV #74213
05/26/06 06:20 AM
05/26/06 06:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
How many of those years of KJV only where due to the nonexistence of the other translations? How long after the publishing of the other translations did it take for them to be used by these pioneers?

Galatians 2

Re: NIV vs KJV #74214
05/26/06 10:47 AM
05/26/06 10:47 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Quote:

NIV or KJV?

Sorry for the delay, just finished a 1600 mile move and just got back online.

The KJV in Hebrews is the only way to translate it according to the Strongs concordance. And it appears that NIV chose its translation from the original psalm. What to do with this I do not know.”

This is what I do with it J
In some KJV bibles in the margin it will read, “If they shall enter my rest” this is the correct translation by the Received Text.
Different KJV publishers have changed the margin readings. I have found so far anyway, that the Cambridge Bible is one of the best I have seen.
I believe that Paul was referring to the people that have hardened their hearts toward Christ and the truth they may not enter into His rest unless they change.

Are you refering to the passage in Hebrews or the one in Psalms?
Quote:

Concerning Matthew 17:20

I would say that it could be both. However, in this context it would be the casting out of satan and his fallen angels, as well it can pertain to any need that we may have throughout our lives.

This is the context it is found in. However I agree that it could and maybe should be applied to spiritual mountains other than demon possession aswell.
Quote:

Compare John 3:16.
No, you are right. "Should" indicates a possibility while "shall" indicates a sertainity. Acording to KJV believing in God does not nessessarily mean you will not perish. What to do with that?

If I only believe in God then can this save me? If so, satan believes in God will he be saved also?
There is more to Salvation than just believing in God, is there not? Galatians 2:8-10 for one thing.

I dont quite understand what Galatians 2:8-10 has to do with either the question of salvation by faith or salvation by faith + something else or with the question of assurance of salvation. Again I will add some context:

15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

So believing excludes condemnation and surely noone who is not condemned will perish? Galatians chapter 3 has much to say about salvation, including the following:

26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Quote:

What the Concordance entry for the word translated patience in KJV says:

From this we see that "patient endurance" is a valid translation and that "patient waiting" is the translation most often used in the KJV for this greek word. This in my opinion means that there isnt much of a case for "one is right, the other is wrong" in this particular case.

/Thomas

I would say that from the writings of the founders that they used the KJV and the Holy Spirit used this Bible to bring up this movement why should we use another "bible"? Also, the KJV has stood the test of time. The first beast of Revelation has tried to destroy the KJV and could not. Since the whore of Babylon could not destroy the KJV out right what did she do? She put out more corrupt texts, claiming that they were older and better and some false teaches jumped on it and retranslated the "bible". These new translations undermine the KJV. Where did these “new” older texts come from and where were they found?????? Hint, two places

Also, a point about the NIV, some of the manuscripts that was used in its writings came from a man named "Gephart" (might be misspelled), who was a high priest for Hitler(WWII)Him and his son wrote their own "bible" translation. Some of their translation was included into the NIV. By the way "Gephart" was tried for war crimes at the end of WWII and found guilty and hung.

Peace and Grace
David

Did we now move from arguments on content and translation to arguments on tradition? I guess founding ones faith on the traditions created on the lives and practises of the men and wimen of God who went before us is another practise that has stood the test of time. For instance within the walls of Vatican City...

/Thomas

Galatians 2

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!