HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,298 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7578
02/24/01 09:55 PM
02/24/01 09:55 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

What is the Day of Atonement? (the type, and the antitype).

I know this topic has been intermittently discussed in a general way from time to time in one or two other threads; but I would be very interested in a very specific, detailed focus in this thread. I hope we have some self-styled scholars, (like me ), who will hit the Book with me on this one. It is a very interesting subject.

There are a number of Day Of Atonement Allusions (references/implications), in the Bible; especially in the book of Hebrews, and in certain parts of the Old Testament.

How should we interpret the allusions today? One particular passage that has been controversial over the years is found in

Hebrews 6:

19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

What is meant here, by “within the veil?” Why? In what ways does this passage allude to the day of atonement? How is the meaning of this passage important to us now?

Could we use only Bible text in this thread, until we have developed a current SDA theology base, on Day Of Atonement Allusions, from the Bible; and then move on to SOP passages later; after those participating in this thread have agreed that our Scriptural base has been developed adequately? Let us draw heavily on other Day of Atonement Allusions in the Bible to get the most likely explanation for Heb.6:19-20.

Thanks, in advance, for all your efforts!

------------------
"The desert will rejoice and bloom as the rose...it shall bloom abundantly!"
(Isa.35:1-2)

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

[This message has been edited by DavidTBattler (edited February 24, 2001).]

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7579
02/25/01 12:36 AM
02/25/01 12:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Dear David,

Thank you for starting this thread. Regarding the "veil" in Heb 6:19 - has it been decided yet which veil is being referred to in this text? Because in Heb 9:3 Paul calls the veil dividing the MHP from the HP the "second veil." This implies that a first veil divides the HP from the outer court.

So, is the veil mentioned in Heb 6:19 the first or the second veil?

In Heb 9:12 Paul points out that Jesus, after "having obtained eternal redemption for us," entered once into the "holy place." Jesus obtained redemption for us on the cross in the outer court (earth). And then He entered the "holy place" to enable us by the power of His blood to "purge" or purify ourselves from "dead works." This type of work is associated with the daily services performed in the HP.

But it is evident from Heb 9:25 that the term "holy place" is not restricted to the first apartment. In this text it obviously refers to the MHP. And in verse 24 it is used in the plural sense - "holy places." Thus, it would seem that the immediate context determines which apartment or both is the subject of Paul's discourse.

Since Jesus is our High Priest does that mean He cannot officiate on a daily basis in the HP like a common priest? Or like Melchisedec is Jesus responsible for both?

Mike

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7580
02/25/01 02:22 AM
02/25/01 02:22 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Good questions Mike

I will reply to them in detail soon...

I am looking forward to this study; and I hope a few others will join us.

Can we backtrack to one of the first questions asked here? What exactly is the Day Of Atonement - both type, and antitype? Does the Bible actually use these two terms "type" and "antitype" in reference to Day Of Atonement?

More later

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7581
02/25/01 04:28 AM
02/25/01 04:28 AM
D
Daniel  Offline
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am all ears. Don't forget to look at Lev 16.

------------------
Car Dieu a tant aimé le monde qu'Il a donné son Fils unique ...

Daniel

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7582
02/25/01 06:50 AM
02/25/01 06:50 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Brother Daniel

Glad you joined us here.

I chuckled a bit when I read - or tried to read your signature...I can't read French or speak it, and you didn't speak in tongues when you said it either! I hope you will provide us with the "interpretation" soon!

Yes. I agree...Lev.16 will eventually be covered here.

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7583
02/26/01 04:29 AM
02/26/01 04:29 AM
D
Daniel  Offline
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
David,

why don't you look it up in the Bible Gateway French Bible ? Do a search using the text itself and find it's reference.

Or I could just tell you plainly what it means ... but I would'n have fun being a frenchman anymore.

------------------
Car Dieu a tant aimé le monde qu'Il a donné son Fils unique ...

Daniel

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7584
02/27/01 06:06 PM
02/27/01 06:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hello Everyone,

I'm glad for this opportunity to study the atonement deeper than I have before.

The concept of "atonement" in the Bible seems to imply sanitizing (for a lack of a better term) whatever involves man or man-made things used to represent holiness or divinity, especially things used in connection with the earthly sanctuary. Tracing the word "atonement" throughout Scripture gives one this impression. See Ex 29, Lev 5 and Num 8. The word is used only once in the NT in Rom 5:11 (KJV).

The day of atonement that fell specifically once a year on the tenth day of the seventh month seems to have been a special feast day unlike any other atonement ritual. See Lev 16 and 23. It seems as though everything and everyone was cleansed on that day - the sanctuary, the furniture, the priests, and the people. It leaves one with the distinct impression that it was the end of sin and a new beginning or fresh start with, as it were, a clean slate.

If these observations are reliable it would seem that if Jesus is the fulfillment of the sanctuary and its services - the substance rather than the shadow - then it stands to reason He would enter first the holy place for a time before entering the final phase of the plan of salvation in the MHP.

The Bible seems to use the words "shadow" (Heb 8:5 and 10:1) and "figure" (Heb 9:9,24) and "pattern" (Heb 9:23) rather than the words we now tend to employ - type and antitype. But the idea is certainly valid, that is, the earthly was only a type of the real ministry of Jesus.

The one blood sacrifice of Jesus made on Calvary fulfills all the blood sacrifices made throughout the year to sanctify or cleanse the earthly things and people. See Heb 10:1-14. But this truth is not clearly revealed until the book of Hebrews. In fact, the idea that the earthly was but a prophecy of what Jesus would accomplish for mankind beginning on the Cross and ending with the New Earth is not clear to me in the OT.

Mike

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7585
02/27/01 07:36 PM
02/27/01 07:36 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Mike

I'm just on a quick break from work...I'm working at home fixing some furniture for someone, so I thought I would peak in and see what you said.

I enjoyed this post, and can see how your information here, can fit in as part of this interesting puzzle. Your comments re concepts of atonement were very interesting. Do you have any thoughts on how this concept of atonement could be related/applied today, to one of us?

Let's say perhaps, one of us have a really discouraging life at the moment...all hope is lost. Been in the church for years. Feeling alone with church members...the scenario is often repeated...I'm sure you have an idea what I mean? How is this atonement relevant today? Or how should it be?

This line of question may seem like a side issue; but I am of the opinion that we can have ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE in Christ, as our High Priest, and our understanding of Him in His High Priestly role can give us HOPE when the chips are down. I thought it would be useful to explore a little more about how this assurance might take place?

I was glad to see your mentioning of the Bible's use of the words like "type," "shadow," etc. These words are a very important part of understanding the writer's intentions as he wrote Heb.6:19-20.

Unfortunately, I have to leave you hanging here for a bit as I need to get back to work, and I need a little more time to put together a few things I have in mind to post here.

I'll be back soon.

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Day Of Atonement Allusions In The Bible #7586
02/28/01 07:21 PM
02/28/01 07:21 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Daniel, going by my (extremely) limited memory of french - John 3:16??? I love your signature by the way, I hope you keep changing it to keep us on our toes!!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!