HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H), 3,417 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Sabbath in Genesis #96072
02/29/08 03:37 PM
02/29/08 03:37 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
The Sabbath in Genesis

Here is a excellent article on the Sabbath....

"...(It) has been argued many times that neither the Sabbath commandment nor Sabbath observance is found anywhere in the Old Testament book of Genesis. That the same Hebrew word “shabbath” as found in the fourth commandment (Exodus 20:8) is no where to be found therein and that therefore because of this, the Sabbath is completely absent from the book of Genesis. Since this is true, it has been argued that the first appearance of the Sabbath is in Exodus 16 as a commandment, and in Exodus 20 as part of the moral law. Yet the truth about the Sabbath’s existence in Genesis has been acknowledged by both Adventists and non-Adventists alike. So before examining the facts that make this truth clear, we will start with..the commandment that points us back to creation week.

Exodus 20:8-11
(8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
(9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
(10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
(11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The question, “Is the Sabbath in Genesis?” is fully answered right here in the fourth commandment itself. Notice in Genesis that God blessed the seventh day:

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Now when we return to the commandment, verse 10 reads:

Exodus 20:10
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God

The fourth commandment says God blessed the seventh day, and then says that the seventh day “is the sabbath” day. The words “is the” makes it ever clear that the seventh day of Genesis 2:3 is the same seventh day of the fourth commandment, which God himself says that that is the “sabbath” day.

If there is any doubt, God repeats it one more time in the Decalogue:

Exodus 20:11
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Again, the “seventh day” was the day he “blessed” which he names as the “sabbath day.” And in case we are not sure of which day this was, God specifies it here by saying that it was the day after he made the “heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is…” which day is the seventh day of creation (Genesis 2:2-3). The question, therefore, “Is the Sabbath day mentioned anywhere in the book of Genesis?” is fully answered by the Almighty himself, because the Hebrew word “shabbath” translated “sabbath” in Exodus 20:11 is, says YHWH himself, the “seventh day” mentioned in Genesis 2:1-3. If the seventh day of Genesis 2:1-3 is not connected to the Sabbath day of Exodus 20:8-11, why did Moses make such a connection? The answer is clear, and stands un refuted: because the seventh day of creation week is the sabbath day of the moral Law....

Genesis 2:1-3
(1) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
(2) And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
(3) And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Take note that after “the heavens and the earth were finished” –verse 1, God still had one more work to get done on the seventh day. The beginning of verse 2 reads, “And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made…” One may ask, “What other work did God do on the seventh day and does this not violate it as a day of rest?” We answer, no, because the work he did on the seventh day was not secular work, for verse one already tells us that the heavens and the earth were already “finished.” The work he did on the seventh day is answered in verse 3:

“And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.” –verse 3.

Rather then being a secular work, God performed a spiritual work upon the seventh day… he “blessed” and “sanctified” it.

That he “blessed” it is significant, because the bible teaches that whatever the Lord blesses, it is blessed forever. David, the servant of the Lord, understood very well that when God blesses something it will forever be blessed when he said:

1 Chronicles 17:27.
(27) Now therefore let it please thee to bless the house of thy servant, that it may be before thee for ever: for thou blessest, O LORD, and it shall be blessed for ever.

Even after the entrance sin, the Sabbath remains blessed:

Exodus 20:11
(11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Once again we find a connection between the seventh day of Genesis and the Sabbath day of Exodus 20:8-11. Moses said clearly that it was the “seventh day” that the Lord “blessed,” because that in it he had “rested.”.....

, if the Sabbath was instituted as a temporary institution, as some would have us believe, why then did the Lord bless it? Is it not clear from the above verse in 1 Chronicles 17:27 that what the Lord blesses is blessed forever? How, if the Sabbath has been abolished, is the Sabbath still blessed, seeing it no longer exists, and no one no longer experiences it? Ponder on this for a moment before continuing. The very fact that it was blessed by God himself is sufficient enough to show how perpetual it is. And we know that this is true, and that king David did not lie, because we find the existence of the seventh day Sabbath, still blessed, in the “new heaven and the new earth” –Isaiah 66:23. The prophet Isaiah’s words are therefore proof that indeed what God blesses… “shall be blessed for ever.”

The reason why he blessed the seventh day but did not bless the previous six days was because he had a special purpose for the seventh day, as will now be seen by his use of the word “sanctified.”

The word “sanctified” is used numerous times in the Old Testament, and is a word used in public settings, either of proclamations or dedications. The English word “sanctified” according to Miriam-Webster’s Dictionary means:

1) Sanctified: 1. Made holy; consecrated; set apart for sacred services.

According to Brown Driver Brigg’s Hebrew definitions, the Hebrew word “qadash” translated “sanctified” means:

1) to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate, to be set apart, be consecrated.

Strong’s Hebrew/Greek concordance says “qadash” means:
1) A primitive root; to be (causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean.

And the Septuagint (LXX), which is the Greek translation of the Old Testament, uses the word “hagiazō” which means:

1) to make holy, that is, (ceremonially) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate: - hallow, be holy, sanctify.

In other words, to “sanctify” means to, “pronounce, dedicate, to consecrate, be set apart for holy use.” A better understanding of this word can be found in its usage throughout the Old Testament.

Notice the following verse:

Exodus 13:1-2
(1) And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
(2) Sanctify [qadash] unto me all the firstborn, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and of beast: it is mine.

Notice the word here is used in the context of sanctifying, or dedicating “all” the firstborn. It was announced by God that all the children be sanctified unto him, and this demanded “all” the people to be involved, for they had to obey the Lord and bring in their children for dedication. All were to know, that God was the owner of every firstborn, whether of man or beast. Note also this next verse:

2 Kings 10:20
(20) And Jehu said, Proclaim [qadash] a solemn assembly for Baal. And they proclaimed it.

When used here in the context of proclaiming a solemn feast, “all” the Baal worshipers of Israel were to be informed of this event and to attend it. One more verse:

Numbers 20:12
And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify [qadash] me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

According to this verse, Moses and Aaron were to sanctify God “in the eyes of the children of Israel.”

So we see that when the word “qadash” is used, it is to publicly announce or proclaim that something is set apart for holy use. All those involved were to be made aware of this announcement. Now when God “sanctified” the seventh day and set it apart as a holy day for holy use, who was he proclaiming this to? To who was he announcing that this day was to be holy and set apart? It must have only been to those alive upon the earth at that moment, Adam and Eve. It was not for those of other worlds, if there were any at that time. Neither was it for the angels of heaven for these did not live on the earth and could therefore not experience the six day cycle of the earth. Only Adam and Eve were alive then, and to them only was it announced that the seventh day was set apart for holy use...."excerpts from The Sabbath in Genesis by Edwin M. Cotto.

The Sabbath was a ceasing from work which was set apart and made holy. Here is a good explanation that I came across in one of the forums.."The 'rest' component comes from two perspectives: first, our remembrance and celebration of God's completed, perfect work of Creation AND redemption AND His work of restoration, which He WILL complete; and, secondly, our need to set aside one day a week to rest from our weekly labors. Secondly, the worship component, which arises out of the fact that God sanctified the Sabbath day (qadash) that is, He set it apart for holy use and purposes."

Sanctification- The word "sanctification" is a translation of the Greek hagiasmos, meaning "holiness," "consecration," "sanctification," from hagiazo, "to make holy," "to consecrate," "to sanctify," "to set apart." The Hebrew equivalent is qadash, "to separate from common use." ...here is another explanation of how it applies to the Sabbath....

"...The origin of the Sabbath is God's resting on the seventh day from the work of creation (Gen. 2:2, 3). There are several Hebrew verbs translated "rest." Shabat means specifically "ceasing," in this case from work. The Hebrew noun translated Sabbath, Shabbat, also means "a ceasing" from work.

Our English versions usually tell us God "hallowed" the day, meaning He made it holy. However, the Hebrew verb qadash, though it can mean to "consecrate," primarily means to "set apart." For example, the priests were set apart from all other Israelites. The tabernacle was set apart from the rest of the camp (and the world). Similarly, this day of ceasing was set apart from the rest of the week. Genesis 2:2, 3 says nothing about worship-only ceasing. Exodus 31:17 tells us that on the seventh day God "ceased and was refreshed." Likewise, the Sabbath is for our refreshment (Mark 2:27)....."

http://www.adventistreview.org/2003-1516/story4.html

Last edited by Richard; 02/29/08 03:37 PM.
Re: The Sabbath in Genesis [Re: Rick H] #99080
05/05/08 11:02 PM
05/05/08 11:02 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
With the above in mind, I wonder why so many Christians deny the Sabbath of Genesis?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Sabbath in Genesis [Re: Daryl] #99096
05/06/08 07:43 PM
05/06/08 07:43 PM
L
lindax  Offline
Posting New Member
Cwmbran, South Wales
would i be wrong in thinking that we has sda sabbath keepers and that the law was in the heart at creation,many who did not believe would not as i see it have realised this was the situation,and i believe that it is the same today,even though we know saturday is the sabbath many in the world do not realise that its in the heart today.if the isralites had not lost sight of it in eygpt and still kept the law then it would have been right through to our day.but with sin, things did not work out has we may well had hoped.the law has we know shows us sin.i may well lose what i am trying to say the further i go on.so i think i will ask you if i am partly right.has i love Christ but tend to go on and on .i know that the law was in force because joseph realised he would be sinning if he went to pharoahs wifes bed.please tell me what you think please.brian God bless

Re: The Sabbath in Genesis [Re: lindax] #99103
05/06/08 09:52 PM
05/06/08 09:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Even before Joseph the Bible talks about Abraham obeying the law:

Genesis
26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!