HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104081
10/29/08 10:54 PM
10/29/08 10:54 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
what you were suggesting as a possible problem (my perhaps being intransigent) doesn't appear to be the problem.

What I am suggesting is that ALL of us are intransigent to some degree. If we weren't, these discussions and disagreements that go on for years would only take moments. That means we are not blown about by every wind of doctrine.

But that also means that we must be vigilant to remind ourselves that there may be significant errors in our theology.

I think you're way of expressing yourself may be signifying a possible problem. That is, you write, "whenever I run across someone whose understanding of context goes against the plain meaning of the text" instead of the more circumspect "whenever I run across someone whose understanding of context goes against my understanding of the text." You seem to have a very high opinion of your ability to determine that "plain meaning of the text." I think a humbler perspective of your abilities in this regard would be in order.

Perhaps. But is that any less humble than one having a high opinion of his knowledge of God's character and thereby determine what God will or will not do? wink Ain't we all impressed with ourselves!

Quote:
This is different from cases when context leads to an uncommon understanding of the text.

Context and common sense are always important, IMO.

Yes. But let's not allow what we believe to be common sense to be normative.

Jesus walked with a couple of disciples for quite a distance without allowing them to recognize Him. Why? I can't say for sure. But He did it anyway, even if it makes no sense to me.

While God wants me to have an intelligent faith, it is not to be based on exhaustive knowledge or complete understanding. His ways are still past finding out to me. It's a good thing that He doesn't make my understanding a prerequisite for His actions.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104084
10/29/08 11:26 PM
10/29/08 11:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Perhaps. But is that any less humble than one having a high opinion of his knowledge of God's character and thereby determine what God will or will not do? wink Ain't we all impressed with ourselves!

Could be. I try to be careful in how I couch my language, but could well be falling short. I don't really feel I understand God's character that well.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm saying, if I read something which appears to be saying something that doesn't make sense, I think it through very carefully. Either it doesn't make sense because I'm thinking about something wrongly, or what I'm thinking is being said is not really what was meant. But just accepting something that doesn't make sense to us; I don't see the value in that. We should be able to give a reason for the things that we believe.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Aaron] #104114
11/01/08 03:26 PM
11/01/08 03:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Aaron
MM are you saying that your saved as long as your not currently committing an act of sin and life is a process of saved.. not saved.. saved.. not saved?
In this view I guess we just hope that we are in a saved state at the exact close of probation?

Aaron

I suppose some people believe this way, but I don't. I believe we are saved while we are abiding in Jesus. If we are not abiding in Jesus we are not saved. It's that simple. To abide in Jesus we must consciously choose to do so. While abiding in Jesus people do and cannot sin.

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Aaron] #104122
11/02/08 01:21 AM
11/02/08 01:21 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
MM are you saying that your saved as long as your not currently committing an act of sin and life is a process of saved.. not saved.. saved.. not saved?
In this view I guess we just hope that we are in a saved state at the exact close of probation?

Aaron,

Is it possible to commit sin while with Jesus? If one is in Christ, will he find sin there?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104123
11/02/08 01:36 AM
11/02/08 01:36 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
When you say sin do you mean Sin or sins? If you mean sins as in losing your temper while driving your car then regretting it then I would say yes one can commit a sin while being saved. Do you think that prior to getting in the car you were saved as long as you had previously asked forgiven since your last sin then the second you lost your temper then your lost until you then ask forgiveness for that sin? Or are you saying one in Christ would never even lose your temper......Cause if your saying that then we are all lost arent we? I dont really agree with the yo yo effect that I'm sensing here.

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104128
11/02/08 02:32 AM
11/02/08 02:32 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I don't really feel I understand God's character that well.

That's the boat I'm in. Hence, there are very few things about which I am comfortable saying, "That's goes against God's character." Selective, and possibly temporary, memory loss is not one of them.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm saying, if I read something which appears to be saying something that doesn't make sense, I think it through very carefully. Either it doesn't make sense because I'm thinking about something wrongly, or what I'm thinking is being said is not really what was meant. But just accepting something that doesn't make sense to us; I don't see the value in that. We should be able to give a reason for the things that we believe.

What I mean is that we should not trust ourselves so much that we can make assertions as to what God will or will not do based on what we think is or is not common sense. As for me, my wisdom is foolishness to God.

There are certain things for which we must be able to give an answer to all who ask, especially in soteriology. But there are other things that we don't understand, but still have to take by faith. This is especially true for people who don't yet know everything God has taught in Scripture.

For example, my father does not keep the Sabbath. Why? Because he, along with the rest of his church, does not see any reason why God would require it. They believe that every day is as holy as any other. They are too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 29:29
The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Yes, there are secret things that are not revealed to us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Aaron] #104129
11/02/08 02:41 AM
11/02/08 02:41 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
When you say sin do you mean Sin or sins?

I mean whatever you mean by "an act of sin" in your previous post.

If you mean sins as in losing your temper while driving your car then regretting it then I would say yes one can commit a sin while being saved. Do you think that prior to getting in the car you were saved as long as you had previously asked forgiven since your last sin then the second you lost your temper then your lost until you then ask forgiveness for that sin? Or are you saying one in Christ would never even lose your temper......Cause if your saying that then we are all lost arent we?

Though I don't know everyone here, I wouldn't say that. I've heard reports of people not losing their temper even when stones were being thrown at them. God's grace has been powerfully manifested in the experience of some.

I dont really agree with the yo yo effect that I'm sensing here.

You mean the "I'm nice because I'm in Jesus" then "I've lost my temper because I'm in Jesus" effect? I don't really agree with that either.

The experience I like is the "shines brighter until the perfect day" and "keeps me from falling" that the Bible describes.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104130
11/02/08 02:50 AM
11/02/08 02:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What I mean is that we should not trust ourselves so much that we can make assertions as to what God will or will not do based on what we think is or is not common sense. As for me, my wisdom is foolishness to God.

We're not trusting in ourselves simply by trying to understand what God is communicating to us. If we read something, and it doesn't make sense to us, we have the duty to question it, and not simply accept it. God isn't looking for unthinking obedience, but trusting faith, based on an intelligent appreciation of His character.

Quote:
There are certain things for which we must be able to give an answer to all who ask, especially in soteriology. But there are other things that we don't understand, but still have to take by faith. This is especially true for people who don't yet know everything God has taught in Scripture.

For example, my father does not keep the Sabbath. Why? Because he, along with the rest of his church, does not see any reason why God would require it. They believe that every day is as holy as any other. They are too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding.

I think I agree with your father, if I'm understand what you're saying correctly. That is, God doesn't require obedience before requiring understanding. What good would that do? Someone should be able to explain to your Father why God would have us remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy in a way that he can understand. Now if he refuses to listen, that's a different issue. But if he sees no reason to do something that he doesn't understand, I think he's right.

Quote:
Yes, there are secret things that are not revealed to us.

I don't know what the "yes" is in response to. Is it an answer to a question? Or just as affirmation?

Certainly there are secret things, but I take this as referring to items of speculation, like for example things about the afterlife which haven't been revealed. I don't see this as referring to anything that would require obedience on our part. Did you have something like this in mind?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104132
11/02/08 03:51 AM
11/02/08 03:51 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

We're not trusting in ourselves simply by trying to understand what God is communicating to us. If we read something, and it doesn't make sense to us, we have the duty to question it, and not simply accept it.

That's an entirely different story from "I won't accept it because I don't understand it." Question it and try to make sense of it, no problem. Reject it if you don't get an answer that is acceptable to you, that's a problem.

Anyway, why do you require things of God that you don't require of physicists? You will accept Heisenberg's assertions without understanding why it is that way, and just accept that "that's just the way it is" but you can't accept God's assertions unless He explains it to your satisfaction.

Quote:

I think I agree with your father, if I'm understand what you're saying correctly. That is, God doesn't require obedience before requiring understanding.

Have you done an in-depth study of child training principles? Check out this passage:
Quote:
One of the first lessons a child needs to learn is the lesson of obedience. Before he is old enough to reason, he may be taught to obey. By gentle, persistent effort, the habit should be established. Thus, to a great degree, may be prevented those later conflicts between will and authority that do so much to create alienation and bitterness toward parents and teachers, and too often resistance of all authority, human and divine. {Ed 287.1}

The object of discipline is the training of the child for self-government. He should be taught self-reliance and self-control. Therefore as soon as he is capable of understanding, his reason should be enlisted on the side of obedience. Let all dealing with him be such as to show obedience to be just and reasonable. Help him to see that all things are under law, and that disobedience leads, in the end, to disaster and suffering. When God says "Thou shalt not," He in love warns us of the consequences of disobedience, in order to save us from harm and loss. {Ed 287.2}

My father doesn't agree with my principles of child training either.

Obedience should come before reason. When the child is capable of understanding, then reason should be enlisted on the side of obedience, obedience that is already there. To wait for understanding before teaching obedience is to give Satan a huge head start, because he doesn't mind unreasonable obedience to his commands.

What good would that do?

Have you ever compared the disposition of a child who has been trained to regard his parents' word as law, to a child who has been trained to regard his parents' word as suggestions that he can choose to follow as he saw fit? One grows up feeling safe in the care of his parents, while the other one grows up in a constant state of stress because he is being cared for by the incompetent child in the mirror.

Someone should be able to explain to your Father why God would have us remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy in a way that he can understand. Now if he refuses to listen, that's a different issue. But if he sees no reason to do something that he doesn't understand, I think he's right.

There's a long story that goes along with that. But to give you a hint at what's going on, he had a business associate to whom he gave clear directions. This person refused to do what he was told unless my father explained to him why he wanted it done. His words were, "I can easily do it, but first I want to know why I should do it." Did I say my father HAD a business associate?

But he sees no problem in disrespecting God in the same way.

Certainly there are secret things, but I take this as referring to items of speculation, like for example things about the afterlife which haven't been revealed. I don't see this as referring to anything that would require obedience on our part.

I don't see any such restrictions in the verse. Before reason comes, we can be taught to obey. Even if reason never comes, we can still be taught to obey.

Anyway, if God wanted you to forget stuff, He won't need your obedience. It's not like you can choose to forget.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104137
11/02/08 04:22 PM
11/02/08 04:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
That's an entirely different story from "I won't accept it because I don't understand it." Question it and try to make sense of it, no problem. Reject it if you don't get an answer that is acceptable to you, that's a problem.

I would say neither reject it nor accept it, but keep thinking about it and studying the matter until it makes sense to you.

Quote:
Anyway, why do you require things of God that you don't require of physicists? You will accept Heisenberg's assertions without understanding why it is that way, and just accept that "that's just the way it is" but you can't accept God's assertions unless He explains it to your satisfaction.

With God the question of understanding is relevant for a number of reasons. I'll mention two. One is the issues are moral; physics isn't. Two is God desires that His creatures render Him homage because they judge Him worthy of such. He doesn't wish to be honored because of His power or authority, but because of His character. We cannot love God as He desires to be loved (which is loving Him in truth) without understanding His character.

Quote:
Obedience should come before reason. When the child is capable of understanding, then reason should be enlisted on the side of obedience, obedience that is already there. To wait for understanding before teaching obedience is to give Satan a huge head start, because he doesn't mind unreasonable obedience to his commands.

We're not discussing children but adults. To "obey" God without understanding what one is doing is robotic. This isn't what God desires.

Quote:
There's a long story that goes along with that. But to give you a hint at what's going on, he had a business associate to whom he gave clear directions. This person refused to do what he was told unless my father explained to him why he wanted it done. His words were, "I can easily do it, but first I want to know why I should do it."

This seems reasonable. If we made this request of God, He would explain why. That is, God will give us sufficient evidence as to why we should do what He asks us to do. He won't satisfy every possible question that could come up (not remove all hooks upon which we could hang our doubts, to use EGW's language) because He desires that we act on the basis of free will, and overwhelming someone with evidence would detract from that principles. But providing enough evidence so that a person open to do His will is able to do so is certainly something God does.

Quote:
Did I say my father HAD a business associate?

But he sees no problem in disrespecting God in the same way.

I'm not seeing the disrespect here (although I'm sure there's more going on here than what I'm aware of, so I'm not saying you're misjudging the situation, just that based on what you've said so far, I don't see the disrespect you are speaking of).

Quote:
I don't see any such restrictions in the verse. Before reason comes, we can be taught to obey. Even if reason never comes, we can still be taught to obey.

How is this not robotic?

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes.(GC 541)

To "obey" by doing things that have no basis in our reasoning would be the "slavish obedience" that God takes no pleasure in, wouldn't it?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!