HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne), 3,258 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: Rosangela] #106014
12/13/08 06:24 PM
12/13/08 06:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Christ ... declares, "... I have been punished for his transgressions..." {PrT, January 30, 1890 par. 6}

This impacts our theories regarding the atonement, doesn't it?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: teresaq] #106026
12/13/08 09:32 PM
12/13/08 09:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Arnold, are people supposed to feel foul and filthy while they are abiding in Jesus? Is there no respite from their sinful condition? Must they always view themselves as defective and disgusting? If they are so sinful and wretched why does the Bible describe them as clothed in fine linen? "And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints." Can they not see themselves as God sees them? "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. . . For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

i dont know that i feel that way. i mean, i know i do if i get around certain kinds of people who think they are christians.

but ive never felt that way with God. convicted is a much better word. and why shouldnt we view ourselves as defective?
i dont know, when God convicts me it is a statement of fact but there are no "feelings" with it. but seeing myself as defective is a very good state to be in. it means im always dependent on Christ. defective, but loved and wanted.

There comes a time, a point, when "defective, but loved and wanted" doesn't cut it anymore. Eventually people have to die to sin and awake to righteousness. They cannot continue to indulge our defects and imperfections, irrespective of God's offer to empower them to overcome them, without grieving the Holy Spirit, without passing the point of no return, without incurring the wrath of God.

You're right, though, some people do not experience episodes of high energy happiness as they progress from one stage of perfection to another. "This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another." {ML 250.4} Listen:

Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. It is not gained by a happy flight of feeling, but is the result of constantly dying to sin, and constantly living for Christ. Wrongs cannot be righted nor reformations wrought in the character by feeble, intermittent efforts. It is only by long, persevering effort, sore discipline, and stern conflict, that we shall overcome. {FLB 116.5}

The children of God may rejoice in all things and at all times. When troubles and difficulties come, believing in the wise providence of God, you may rejoice. You need not wait for a happy flight of feeling, but by faith you may lay hold of the promises and lift up a hymn of thanksgiving to God. {HP 123.2}

I find that I have to fight the good fight of faith every day. I have to exercise all my faith, and not rely upon feeling; I have to act as though I knew the Lord heard me, and would answer me and bless me. Faith is not a happy flight of feeling; it is simply taking God at His word--believing that He will fulfill His promises because He said He would. {OHC 119.5}

I saw that the christian should not set too high a value, nor depend too much upon a happy flight of feeling. These feelings are not always true. I saw that it should be the study of every christian to serve God from principle, and not be ruled by feeling. By so doing, faith will be brought into exercise, and will increase. {2SG 261.1}

im real curious why so many people seem to think its so necessary to be seen as "clean" or "sinless"?

Because God requires perfection of character. No one will be saved without it. Satan know this and he works tirelessly to deceive us - "if possible even the very elect" will be deceived. No one will be able to endure the time of Jacob's trouble unless they are convinced they are blameless in the sight of God. Therefore, it is important to know we are right with God. Listen:

Quote:
God requires perfection of His children. His law is a transcript of His own character, and it is the standard of all character. This infinite standard is presented to all that there may be no mistake in regard to the kind of people whom God will have to compose His kingdom. The life of Christ on earth was a perfect expression of God's law, and when those who claim to be children of God become Christlike in character, they will be obedient to God's commandments. Then the Lord can trust them to be of the number who shall compose the family of heaven. Clothed in the glorious apparel of Christ's righteousness, they have a place at the King's feast. They have a right to join the blood-washed throng. {COL 315.1}

That perfection of character which the Lord requires is the fitting up of the whole being as a temple for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. God will accept of nothing less than the service of the entire human organism. It is not enough to bring into action certain parts of the living machinery. All parts must work in perfect harmony, or the service will be deficient. It is thus that man is qualified to cooperate with God in representing Christ to the world. Thus God desires to prepare a people to stand before Him pure and holy, that He may introduce them into the society of heavenly angels. {OHC 265.2}

None are living Christians unless they have a daily experience in the things of God and daily practice self-denial, cheerfully bearing the cross and following Christ. Every living Christian will advance daily in the divine life. As he advances toward perfection, he experiences a conversion to God every day; and this conversion is not completed until he attains to perfection of Christian character, a full preparation for the finishing touch of immortality. {2T 505.1}

So, in the time of trouble, if the people of God had unconfessed sins to appear before them while tortured with fear and anguish, they would be overwhelmed; despair would cut off their faith, and they could not have confidence to plead with God for deliverance. But while they have a deep sense of their unworthiness, they have no concealed wrongs to reveal. Their sins have gone beforehand to judgment and have been blotted out, and they cannot bring them to remembrance. {GC 620.1}

Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: asygo] #106028
12/13/08 09:59 PM
12/13/08 09:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: Arnold, are people supposed to feel foul and filthy while they are abiding in Jesus? Is there no respite from their sinful condition? Must they always view themselves as defective and disgusting?

A: Here's how inspiration tells us will be the experience of those after the close of probation: "So, in the time of trouble, if the people of God had unconfessed sins to appear before them while tortured with fear and anguish, they would be overwhelmed; despair would cut off their faith, and they could not have confidence to plead with God for deliverance. But while they have a deep sense of their unworthiness, they have no concealed wrongs to reveal. {GC 620.1}

Yes, it is true the 144,000 will pass through this experience. But this is a unique experience. It doesn't reflect what life is supposed to be like now or afterward. If so, none could endure it long enough to hold out until death or until Jesus returns. We're not to go around like that poor wretched soul in Pilgrim's Progress lamenting our wicked past. Nor are we to go around lamenting our wicked potential. While abiding in Jesus it is our privilege to revel in the joy of Jesus. Again, while abiding in Jesus, that is, while abiding in Jesus.

M: If they are so sinful and wretched why does the Bible describe them as clothed in fine linen? "And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

A: They do have fine linen. But it is Christ's robe of righteousness, not theirs, that God looks at. Why? Because only His righteousness meets the perfect standard.

Why, then, does it say, "the fine linen is the righteousness of saints"?

M: Can they not see themselves as God sees them?

A: They do, if they stop looking at themselves and look at Christ instead. No matter how holy we may become, Christ's holiness is still what God looks at and accepts.

Not Christ outside of us, but Christ in us, the hope of glory. The work of salvation is not a superficial work. It is a total recreation. Listen:

Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5} NOTE: Adam's righteousness did require mediation or filtration.

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts. {6BC 1118.10}

The only condition upon which the freedom of man is possible is that of becoming one with Christ. "The truth shall make you free;" and Christ is the truth. Sin can triumph only by enfeebling the mind, and destroying the liberty of the soul. Subjection to God is restoration to one's self,--to the true glory and dignity of man. The divine law, to which we are brought into subjection, is "the law of liberty." James 2:12. {DA 466.5}

---

One of the things God must do to win the great controversy is produce 144,000 sinners turned saints who stand before the Universe without spot or blame. He cannot win the GC by simply covering sinners who are full of spots and blame with the robe of Christ's righteousness. If this were possible He would have done it a long time ago with A&E and ended the GC then and there. True, people need the robe of Christ's righteousness to cover their past pardoned sins, but they also need to be free of sin, not only in the legal sense, but also in the real sense.

Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: Mountain Man] #106030
12/13/08 10:33 PM
12/13/08 10:33 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
One of the things God must do to win the great controversy is produce 144,000 sinners turned saints who stand before the Universe without spot or blame. He cannot win the GC by simply covering sinners who are full of spots and blame with the robe of Christ's righteousness. If this were possible He would have done it a long time ago with A&E and ended the GC then and there. True, people need the robe of Christ's righteousness to cover their past pardoned sins, but they also need to be free of sin, not only in the legal sense, but also in the real sense.

why is it assumed people have not become free of sin before the 144,000? the standard has always been to give up all known sin. and as far as ive seen God has been pretty good at pointing out unknown sin, at least in my life, and im fairly positive in others lives as well. i would think we are probably the generation-being laodiceans-that have one foot on this earth and the other wobbling in heaven. hence we have to go through the time of trouble.

on another note, convicted does not necessarily mean:
Quote:
We're not to go around like that poor wretched soul in Pilgrim's Progress lamenting our wicked past. Nor are we to go around lamenting our wicked potential.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: asygo] #106039
12/14/08 06:00 AM
12/14/08 06:00 AM
I Am His  Offline
United States
im real curious why so many people seem to think its so necessary to be seen as "clean" or "sinless"?

Because God's requirement now is the same as it was in Eden - perfect obedience, perfect righteousness.

"Since we are sinful, unholy, we cannot perfectly obey the holy law. We have no righteousness of our own with which to meet the claims of the law of God. But Christ has made a way of escape for us. He lived on earth amid trials and temptations such as we have to meet. He lived a sinless life. He died for us, and now He offers to take our sins and give us His righteousness. If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ's character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned." Steps to Christ p. 62

"So I will be your representative in heaven. The Father beholds not your faulty character, but He sees you as clothed in My perfection." DA 357

"The only way in which he can attain to righteousness is through faith. By faith he can bring to God the merits of Christ, and the Lord places the obedience of His Son to the sinner's account. Christ's righteousness is accepted in place of man's failure, and God receives, pardons, justifies, the repentant, believing soul, treats him as though he were righteous, and loves him as He loves His Son. This is how faith is accounted righteousness" 1 SM 367

Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: Rosangela] #106043
12/14/08 06:26 AM
12/14/08 06:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
no, i understand that. but im not perfect anything. dont think i can get my point across.....it just doesnt bother me that God sees me warts and all. how would He point out my defects if He didnt. if i keep responding to the Holy Spirit at some point it will all work out, so why do i need Him to see me differently than just exactly what i am?

This is a good point. Our problem has always been one of not seeing God correctly, not with Him seeing us as we are. The solution isn't to give God "Jesus glasses" so He sees us in some way that we are not, but *we* need the "Jesus glasses" so we can see God as He really is.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: Tom] #106044
12/14/08 06:31 AM
12/14/08 06:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I think it's because people don't believe God's character is such that He would accept someone such as they are. It seems odd that people would feel this way, given how Jesus treated people, and that Jesus was the revelation of the Father, but many people feel this way.

Ty Gibson has some interesting ideas as to why this is the case. He discusses this in his book "See With New Eyes."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: Tom] #106045
12/14/08 06:33 AM
12/14/08 06:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the wedding garment, here's a nice quote:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. (COL 312)

Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: I Am His] #106046
12/14/08 08:30 AM
12/14/08 08:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: I Am His
"So I will be your representative in heaven. The Father beholds not your faulty character, but He sees you as clothed in My perfection." DA 357

That's an interesting quote. So, is such a person, clothed in Christ's righteousness, abiding in Jesus? WDYT, MM?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is this person saved or lost? [Re: Tom] #106052
12/14/08 02:20 PM
12/14/08 02:20 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's because people don't believe God's character is such that He would accept someone such as they are. It seems odd that people would feel this way, given how Jesus treated people, and that Jesus was the revelation of the Father, but many people feel this way.

I think it's because, in view of God's holiness, it's a human need to not feel unclean before God. This can be clearly seen in Isaiah's experience:

"So I said: 'Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts.'
Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a live coal which he had taken with the tongs from the altar.
And he touched my mouth with it, and said: 'Behold, this has touched your lips; Your iniquity is taken away, And your sin purged'" (Isa. 6:5-7).

So, those who have a sense of God's holiness will always be conscious of their sinfulness. But this must be tempered by the assurance that God doesn't look at their sinfulness, and that their sins are covered by Christ's righteousness.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!