HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113986
06/01/09 07:13 PM
06/01/09 07:13 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
from page 2

Originally Posted By: dedication
Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

The law -- God's moral law -- demands the death of the transgressor.
Without the shed blood of Christ, the law is only an instrument declaring that we deserve death, for we have transgressed that law.

how did you get from the bible verse to your conclusion? please dont start pointing the finger at me-by the way there is a bible verse for that should anyone be interested-by calling me toms follower or accusing me of believing in things i only vaguely know about. smile im called on to give impromptu bible studies on a regular basis with various people i have come to know, and im here to tell you they can come up with some doozies of questions. if i started attacking them for their questions because they arent seeing what i see how many people would i be driving away from the bible?

this particular verse says to me that adams sin, and consequently our sin because we will sin brings death. that sin brings death. i cant see anything in that verse that says the moral law demands death along the lines of if you steal you will go to jail. it reads more to me that it is saying if one steals pretty soon no one will trust that one, to mention one consequence.

distrust is automatic, yes. That death was required can be found from supporting texts which Rom 5 only alludes to with its rapid summary of the situation.

Ezek 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." That isn't talking about natural results of sin - the context is talking about suffering guilt and judgement for one's own actions. Grace is the fuller context, since there is a call in the chapter to turn from wickedness or face the charge!

Is God right to judge the unrepentant and destroy them in the day of judgement? That, I would say, is our holy God's personal priviledge, having given his only begotten Son for this sinful world. Grace aside, his holiness entitles him to act justly: the unrepentant, in view of the grace of God in Christ, are due the judgement on sin that the Lamb of God suffered in our stead.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113988
06/01/09 07:28 PM
06/01/09 07:28 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
from page 2

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Without the shed blood of Christ, the law is only an instrument declaring that we deserve death, for we have transgressed that law.

how did you get from the bible verse to your conclusion? please dont start pointing the finger at me-by the way there is a bible verse for that should anyone be interested-by calling me toms follower or accusing me of believing in things i only vaguely know about. smile im called on to give impromptu bible studies on a regular basis with various people i have come to know, and im here to tell you they can come up with some doozies of questions. if i started attacking them for their questions because they arent seeing what i see how many people would i be driving away from the bible?

this particular verse says to me that adams sin, and consequently our sin because we will sin brings death. that sin brings death. i cant see anything in that verse that says the moral law demands death along the lines of if you steal you will go to jail. it reads more to me that it is saying if one steals pretty soon no one will trust that one, to mention one consequence.

Yes, we need a good Bible study laid out for us to use, to prove these truths, don't we - we want one, too!

We don't have time for restudying key Biblical words via alternative lines of thought from their root meanings, instead of a Bible study. We can't do both at the same time, especially as the ordinary meaning of "ransom" and "substitution" is what we know to be the truth. Let those who disagree do so elsewhere!

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113989
06/01/09 07:33 PM
06/01/09 07:33 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
from page 2

distrust is automatic, yes. That death was required can be found from supporting texts which Rom 5 only alludes to with its rapid summary of the situation.

Ezek 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." That isn't talking about natural results of sin - the context is talking about suffering guilt and judgement for one's own actions. Grace is the fuller context, since there is a call in the chapter to turn from wickedness or face the charge! ....

maybe you misunderstood? smile the question was how does that one particular verse justify the conclusion made?

as for Ezek 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." this seems clearly to be the context:
Quote:

Eze 18:2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
it seems clearly to counter the idea that someone else should suffer for what one person has done.

this is the second point it is trying to get across:
Quote:
Eze 18:27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
Eze 18:28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 18:29 Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?
Eze 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
Eze 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Eze 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

that if we turn from our wicked ways we will live. if not we will die.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Elle] #113990
06/01/09 07:36 PM
06/01/09 07:36 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Christ not only lived a self sacrificing life, He literally shed His blood and literally died.
The shedding of blood means dying in the literal sense.
Not just living a life of surrender.
...A substitute death is a substitute death, to absorb the penalty of sin that would have fallen upon me, had He not absorbed it, it is not just an example of what sin could do.
It is necessary for the forgiveness of my sins, no matter how "self sacrificing" and loving I may become.
I know this is how we honor the Father in believing in this literal death of His Son. I agree it is important to not wash this down or dilute it as a role playing.

You know that in adventism we are taught about role playing, and that Christ Divinity didn't really died, but it was his humanity. To me, it's doesn't sound right and not in harmony with the Bible. Isn't Divinity suppose to be our subtitute?

While Tom waits to philosophise, Teresa, and in anticipation of your own thoughts....

YES, Teresa, divinity IS OUR SUBSTITUTE!! AMEN!!!

Since deity is immortal..., what happened??! I agree that only humanity dying isn't just "not right" - IT'S NOT ENOUGH!! How about the Son of God, the Creator of the universe, the Author of life, dying in mortal flesh? The person of God's Son, not his immortal divinity, but the person himself, having become flesh with us, died as a man.

One has to go behind the nature of being (human/divine) and find the person: it's not impersonal, because it's oh so personal for God & him and each of us and every man & woman who's on this sinful planet.

To reiterate, in case I didn't make sense there: the deity of God's begotten Son could not die, but the person of God's Son, having become flesh with us, could die.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113991
06/01/09 07:47 PM
06/01/09 07:47 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
maybe you misunderstood? smile the question was how does that one particular verse justify the conclusion made?

Right: Ja!

It's a little hidden...: look at v.18, as well, because...

In v.12 the "all have sinned" isn't an ongoing action, like our life habits of sinning are. It's a once in history event: either first time we each sinned - oh the memory is sad! - or it means, in connection with "by one man" and v.18 where Adam's in the spotlight again: all mankind sinned in Adam, but no-one other than Adam carries any guilt for his actions!

v.18 mentions, in relation to Adam's history
Quote:
Therefore as by the offense of one, judgment to condemnation came upon all men

"judgement to condemnation came upon all men": I'm not forgetting Jesus' grace and righteousness given for "all men", but judgement to death came upon all men who have Adam's sinful nature. Jesus didn't redeem our sinful nature from this eternal condemnation of death - he redeemed us ourselves - persons not natures. Right?

v.12 there leads to v.18 and leaves Adam's posterity under judgement of death. v.12 isn't just death followed by one or other resurrection, but death without resurrection, too, should we each not accept the grace of what Jesus has done to our history and our fate, as per v.18.

D'u agree, or still not sure?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113992
06/01/09 07:55 PM
06/01/09 07:55 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Christ not only lived a self sacrificing life, He literally shed His blood and literally died.
The shedding of blood means dying in the literal sense.
Not just living a life of surrender.

The SUBSTITUTE
If God does not need Christ's blood and death to forgive sins,
then one cannot say Christ died in my stead, so I won't have to die the eternal death.
One could not say, if He didn't die, then I would have to die, since God can forgive, reinstate and save me without that death, He doesn't need that "kind" of blood, if I repent, reflect on His self sacrificing life, and am led by the Holy Spirit to conscrate my life to Him in a self sacrificing manner.

Many who did not know about the cross have sacrificed self for others.

A substitute death is a substitute death, to absorb the penalty of sin that would have fallen upon me, had He not absorbed it, it is not just an example of what sin could do.
It is necessary for the forgiveness of my sins, no matter how "self sacrificing" and loving I may become.

Amen, Amen & again: Amen!!!

That penalty which he absorbed for me, too, is God's judgement on sin, not sin's own fruits, from whichever quarter.

Jesus himself wasn't perturbed by the conspiracy of the Sanhedrin against him - he forgave even the Roman soldiers, who knew not what they were doing: He was anxious about being cut off from his holy Father, at whose will he, the Son of God, was dying, having submitted to God's will in Gethsemane.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113994
06/01/09 09:08 PM
06/01/09 09:08 PM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
Did Christ die the first or second death? Also if Christ had to die so God could forgive us then why could it not have happened when He was a baby? Why not just let Herod kill Him and get it over with? If someone starts telling you adulterous lies about your spouse, and you believe those lies, you might begin to mistrust your spouse even though they never did anything wrong. If you believe the lies to the point where you end up in the arms of someone else it could so happen that this person has HIV and you are infected. So now put your self in the place of your spouse because thats where God is. He has done nothing wrong and now you are terminal. Should He say "well you broke the vow now justice demand that I shoot you?" He has done nothing wrong but lies believed have led to behavior that results in death. With Sin it is always like this. When its said that God's justice demands death then some people who believe that God is love have problems with this tension. Did God send Jesus to die in order to save us from God's wrath?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113996
06/01/09 09:11 PM
06/01/09 09:11 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:

Right: Ja!

It's a little hidden...: look at v.18, as well, because...

so you are ageeing that we cannot come to that conclusion using that one particular verse?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113997
06/01/09 09:14 PM
06/01/09 09:14 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Amen, Amen & again: Amen!!!

That penalty which he absorbed for me, too, is God's judgement on sin, not sin's own fruits, from whichever quarter.

Jesus himself wasn't perturbed by the conspiracy of the Sanhedrin against him - he forgave even the Roman soldiers, who knew not what they were doing: He was anxious about being cut off from his holy Father, at whose will he, the Son of God, was dying, having submitted to God's will in Gethsemane.

so separation- possibly eternal- from the Father was the "penalty"?

if adam and eve had never sinned and had no access to the tree of life would they have died?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Aaron] #113999
06/01/09 09:39 PM
06/01/09 09:39 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Aaron
Did Christ die the first or second death? Also if Christ had to die so God could forgive us then why could it not have happened when He was a baby? Why not just let Herod kill Him and get it over with? If someone starts telling you adulterous lies about your spouse, and you believe those lies, you might begin to mistrust your spouse even though they never did anything wrong. If you believe the lies to the point where you end up in the arms of someone else it could so happen that this person has HIV and you are infected. So now put your self in the place of your spouse because thats where God is. He has done nothing wrong and now you are terminal. Should He say "well you broke the vow now justice demand that I shoot you?" He has done nothing wrong but lies believed have led to behavior that results in death. With Sin it is always like this. When its said that God's justice demands death then some people who believe that God is love have problems with this tension. Did God send Jesus to die in order to save us from God's wrath?

and, according to the bible examples, what is Gods wrath?

Quote:
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
this one is a little bit scary. it is talking about those who have the truth but have in unrighteousness.
Quote:
Rom 2:17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,
Rom 2:18 And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;
Rom 2:19 And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,
Rom 2:20 An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.
Rom 2:21 Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
Rom 2:22 Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?
Rom 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
Rom 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

sorry, my brother, i detoured a bit from your thought. getting back on point, and the "wrath of God" mentioned in 1:18:
Quote:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

these seem like a couple of examples of the "wrath of God". i remember the first time i really saw 1:27. that told me i didnt need to do anything to my practicing homosexual brother/sister. they were already suffering the consequences and it was none of my business, except to try and gently, lovingly, bring them to the Lord, keeping in mind that i also am a sinner.

1:28 says to me that God gave people up to what they really wanted with 1:27 being an example of the consequences.

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!