HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,618
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 91 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115459
07/04/09 08:36 PM
07/04/09 08:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen White believed the OT revealed the character of God just as clearly as the NT. She "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." This insight seems to refute what Tom is saying about the NT.

It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New. {DA 799.2}

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115460
07/04/09 08:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you wrote that you agree with Teresaq's view of the plagues (the ones described in Rev 15 and 16). Please tell me in your own words what that view is. Thank you.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115461
L
liane  Offline
Deceased Member (July 2009)
Bishop, CA
Hi Teresa:

I am not question what you are say, though you seem to think that I am doing so.

My point is that in the OT the people were given an image of God that was really far different than who He really was. Once people open the OT they see the same God as they see in the NT. The both sides of God's character to create is revealed as HIs ability to destroy as well, after all He is God.

The details of what, when and how can be picked at as much as everyone wants to do so, but the bottom line for me which is very simple is that God is God and it is within His power to create and destroy according to His own will.

The contrast I was showing is that the image of a lamb creature shown to us in the NT and symbolic in the OT reflect a contrast to the image of that same Lamb that has wrath and makes war.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115462
07/04/09 08:50 PM
07/04/09 08:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Tom, I have no idea what you believe about the plagues, so please be clear in your explanation. Thank you.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115468
07/04/09 11:13 PM
07/04/09 11:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
liane, the war being fought is not one won by force, but by truth. The sword which Christ uses to vanquish His enemies is not a literal sword, but the word of God.

When the wicked cry for the mountains to fall upon them, it is because they cannot bear to see the face their redeemer, the One who died for them, just as Judas couldn't. But what was the face which Judas saw? It was the same one Peter saw, a face full of love and compassion.

It's too bad that you think that one says that God does not act violently that you take this of depriving God of something. I think it's possible for God's wrath to be manifest, and for Him to take vengeance, without acting violently. Do you think that's a possibility?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115471
07/04/09 11:54 PM
07/04/09 11:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:This insight seems to refute what Tom is saying about the NT.

What is it Tom is saying about the NT?

Quote:
Tom, you wrote that you agree with Teresaq's view of the plagues (the ones described in Rev 15 and 16). Please tell me in your own words what that view is. Thank you.

She did just fine.

Quote:
PS - Tom, I have no idea what you believe about the plagues, so please be clear in your explanation. Thank you.

I'm fine with what teresa's been saying. She's offered a number of times to go through the plagues one by one. She's attempted to do so a number of times.

Did you read my analogy of my complete account of my twin brother, endorsed by an inspired writer? Did you read what I wrote regarding Piaget? Did you understand the points I was making? I don't recall any comments regarding these posts. I believe these are important points I was making. I'd like to know if they are being read and understood.

If you understand the points, and disagree with them, I'd like to know why.

Regarding the whole Bible testifying of Christ, I've made this point many times. He is the crimson thread that ties the Bible together. I've said exactly this.

In fact, we've had rather lengthy discussions regarding this point, where you were unable to grasp that the cross was explained by Moses, remember? What did I say? I said that the Gospel was clearly explained by Moses, didn't I? And you took the other side?

So your all of a sudden shifting to the other side now seems a bit strange to me.

However, if one does not understand the Gospel, or rightly interpret Christ's life and teachings, what chance does one have of rightly interpreting the Old Testament?

Quote:
Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! Truth came forth from the lips of Jesus, uncorrupted with human philosophy. His words were from heaven, such as mortal lips had never spoken nor mortal ears ever heard. His heart was an altar on which burned the flames of infinite love.

Goodness, mercy, and love were enthroned in the breast of the Son of God. He set up his tabernacle in the midst of our human encampment, pitched his tent by the side of the tents of men, that he might dwell among them and make them familiar with his divine character and love. No one could love Christ and pay homage to him without serving and honoring the infinite God.

Those who had an appreciation of the character and mission of Christ, were filled with reverence and awe, as they looked upon him and felt that they were looking upon the temple of the living God. Officers were sent to take the Son of God, that the temple in which God was enshrined might be destroyed. But as they drew near and heard the words of divine wisdom that fell from his lips, they were charmed, and the power and excellence of his instruction so filled their hearts and minds that they forgot the purpose for which they had been sent.

Christ revealed himself to their souls. Divinity flashed through humanity, and they returned so filled with this one thought, so charmed with the ideas he had presented, that when the leaders of Israel inquired, "Why have ye not brought him?" they replied, "Never man spake like this man."

They had seen that which priests and rulers would not see,--humanity flooded with the light and glory of divinity. Those who would behold this glory would be drawn to love Jesus and to love the Father whom he represented. Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. In Christ was arrayed before men the paternal grace and the matchless perfections of the Father. In his prayer just before his crucifixion, he declared, "I have manifested thy name." "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men. (ST 1/20/90)

Given the "whole purpose" of Christ's earthly mission was "the revelation of God," one wonders why Christ would have come at all, if it were really true that God had already been revealed as clearly as Christ would reveal Him.

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. ...Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

Please notice what this says:

1.The earth was dark through misapprehension of God.
2.His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan.
3.This work only one Being in all the universe could do.
4.Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known.

Isn't it clear from this that only Christ could do this work, and before He did it, it hadn't been done?

What is the Gospel of John is about, if not that Jesus Christ revealed God for us?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115472
07/04/09 11:56 PM
07/04/09 11:56 PM
L
liane  Offline
Deceased Member (July 2009)
Bishop, CA
Hi Tom:

I guess I am coming from the issue of two events. The one that takes place before the thousand years in which yes the people will die the way described by you. Christ will come in all his glory and justice and mercy follows Him. There will be no action by Christ regarding the wicked. The natural order of things will end their lives by the destruction that goes on around them.

Only those that look upon their Redeemer and are counted worthy of the Lamb will rise up to be with Him for a thousand years. The rest die where they stand to await the coming of God after the books have been opened and the records have been seen.

Before that though is the plagues brought on by the wrath of God upon those that had rejected His mercy and love and truth. They will be counted as wanting and sealed their fates by taking the mark of the beast. Since there will be only two groups left then all those that are not sealed by the mark of God by obedience will have been sealed by the mark of the beast.

But after the thousand years will be by the hand of God. This is found in Revelation:

20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

I do not see all these wicked people willing to jump into the lake of fire of their own accord. Clearly the word "cast" means something to me.

If I remember it said to me and this is what I understand of Revelation is that the chapters are like a revolving door as it turns each chapter unfolds along with the other chapters as is one whole piece together within that door.

Some parts are in the past and is a review. Some are combined and are connected and others are just about the end. When we see that we begin to see the whole picture of Revelation and what God is telling us about the last days.

What a blessing edit, Whew!

Last edited by liane; 07/04/09 11:59 PM.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115474
07/05/09 01:55 AM
07/05/09 01:55 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Ellen White believed the OT revealed the character of God just as clearly as the NT. She "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." This insight seems to refute what Tom is saying about the NT.

It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New. {DA 799.2}
i think, my brother, that it has to do with how one reads it. she is very clear that Christ had to come and be seen as He is and lives.

this quote and the numerous ones like it, as well as what the bible says, is that the sanctuary system, and such pointed to Christ. it described what He would do and how He would be. but none of the prophecies and object lessons were Him.

there is a statement from ellen white that the adventist people will be in the exact same state before the second advent as the jews were before Christs first advent.

what kind of messiah were the jews looking for? what prophecies had they ignored?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115475
07/05/09 01:58 AM
07/05/09 01:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:Where in this quote does it say that this revelation comes ONLY from the Christ's earthly ministry?

EGW:All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 216)

My point has never been that the revelation of God comes only from Christ's life and character, but only exactly what the quote actually says, which is that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son.

Now what is the logical consequence of this? If all that can be known of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son, then nothing can be known of God which was not revealed by the life and character of His Son. This follows as surely as 2 + 2 = 4.

So what I've said is that if we *think* we know something of God which was not revealed in the life and character of His Son, we must be in error. This is simple logic.

Quote:
Mrs. White is not speaking exclusively here, but inclusively. She is saying that of all the truth one might collect from all possible sources, the truth brought by Jesus is sufficient, and indeed, one cannot surpass this knowledge. What she does NOT say is that the truth which Jesus taught by His life here is not revealed before or since from any other source. That would be exclusive.

She is saying that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. Other things may also reveal what Christ revealed, but nothing which reveals God will reveal things *other* than that which Christ revealed.

Quote:
It's like going to school--there is a book out titled something like "All I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarten." The book details how the author learned to play fair, get along with others, eat right, stay clean, obey the teacher, etc. (I don't remember all the details, but they were not the scholastic points one might think school was for).

Now, let's just suppose that Kindergarten taught all of the essential core values in life, and that, indeed, as far as core values goes, nothing else that one learned later could really add to them. In such a case, would not the title of this book be true? However, would it be saying that if one never attended Kindergarten, they would never learn life's core values? Of course not.

To Moses was revealed Christ's character, well before His incarnation, and that one point should be sufficient to tell us that God's character has been on display throughout history.

I want to see if I'm understanding you correctly. Is it your position that the revelation of Christ's life and character, was not necessary?

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115476
07/05/09 02:05 AM
07/05/09 02:05 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you have SOP statements to verify Teresaq's view of the plagues?

Also, I'm happy to hear you believe the OT is just as clear as the NT regarding the character of God. However, you have yet to prove from the Pentateuch that Moses clearly and plainly said the Son of God would one day come and give His life as a ransom for the souls of men.

Page 25 of 91 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!