HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116597
07/24/09 03:21 AM
07/24/09 03:21 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq
in other words what specific example of God withholding something given in the bible are you referring to, and how that would resemble withholding food from your son for 2 days in punishment.

God withheld rain for 3.5 years. It resembles the "no food for 2 days" because it is very hard to grow food without rain. Especially if the drought lasts 3.5 years.
i want to stress that i know you are a good and loving dad and that you are very kind.

i know that for a fact as i have been witness to it and not just once.

i think a much better example than starving ones child in order to punish them would be something like this:

there is a street somewhere where every single resident is some kind of criminal.

one house has a serial killer who goes out on a regular basis to hunt his victims.
another house has a rapist.
another a thief and one that doesnt just steal but hurts his victims also.
another house is a pedaphile, and on and on.

Quote:
Psa 55:9 Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Psa 55:10 Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it.
Pro 4:16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
Pro 4:17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
Isa 59:6 Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works: their works are works of iniquity, and the act of violence is in their hands.
Isa 59:7 Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood: their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; wasting and destruction are in their paths.
Isa 59:8 The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgment in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace.
everything possible has been done to redeem these people but they would not respond.
Quote:
Jer 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
finally it is decided that all the violence has to be stopped.

either a firebomb is shot at that street that burns it utterly to the ground leaving nothing....

or there was an undetected gas leak that God ceased restraining the natural consequences of and it exploded, also leaving nothing

that anyone could gain from their deaths.

now that, for me, would be a likely example of sodom and gomorrah.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116661
07/26/09 01:37 AM
07/26/09 01:37 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
but why do you equate punishment with spanking?

I don't. Why do you think that I equate the two? I didn't say that.

You are assuming again. Please, do to others as you would have them do to you.

i mean who said discipline was not necessary?

Nobody. But I seem to recall somebody saying, or at least implying, that punishment is not necessary.

Here are some snippets from my quotes:

Quote:
"Disobedience must be punished."

"Whipping may be necessary when other resorts fail, yet she should not use the rod if it is possible to avoid doing so."

"You may have to punish with the rod..."

Punishment is not necessarily bad. Whipping and the rod might be necessary at times. Especially note the 2nd quote where we find that we should avoid the rod when possible, but it might still prove to be necessary.

I have come across some people who teach that the rod is never necessary. They do not have the benefit of the SOP.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116663
07/26/09 01:47 AM
07/26/09 01:47 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Teresa is claiming that "Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such." It appears that Arnold is challenging this assertion by pointing out the Word of God is likened to a sword, as opposed to a feather, meaning that God's actions cannot always be seen as gentle and loving.

I don't see how this makes any sense.

Dear sir, I wish to take this opportunity, if it is pleasing in your sight, to lay before you the fact that you are of your father the Devil. And if you don't mind, please get behind me, Satan, for you are not mindful of the things of God.

Is that gentle?

God is always loving. But gentle doesn't always do the trick.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116664
07/26/09 01:53 AM
07/26/09 01:53 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
i want to stress that i know you are a good and loving dad and that you are very kind.

i know that for a fact as i have been witness to it and not just once.

Now you've piqued my interest. I hope you are accurate in your assessment, but how did you witness this?

either a firebomb is shot at that street that burns it utterly to the ground leaving nothing....

or there was an undetected gas leak that God ceased restraining the natural consequences of and it exploded, also leaving nothing

that anyone could gain from their deaths.

now that, for me, would be a likely example of sodom and gomorrah.

Allowing a firebomb to destroy everything or allowing a natural gas explosion to destroy everything, are equivalent to me. Either option requires the same moral decision from the decision maker.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116675
07/26/09 02:49 AM
07/26/09 02:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is from GC 35:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...

I've quoted this a number of times, trying to accentuate the point that the Jews caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them. This point cannot be overemphasized! It's key to understanding the role of God here.

It's not that God just decides He's going to punish, and so He decides to withdraw His protection, but *they* caused His protection to be withdrawn.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116676
07/26/09 03:03 AM
07/26/09 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Teresa is claiming that "Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such." It appears that Arnold is challenging this assertion by pointing out the Word of God is likened to a sword, as opposed to a feather, meaning that God's actions cannot always be seen as gentle and loving.

a:Dear sir, I wish to take this opportunity, if it is pleasing in your sight, to lay before you the fact that you are of your father the Devil. And if you don't mind, please get behind me, Satan, for you are not mindful of the things of God.

Is that gentle?

You're not addressing the issue I raised, but talking about something else. Also, the "I don't think this makes sense" was the start of a paragraph:

Quote:
I don't see how this makes any sense. Doesn't the "sword of the Spirit" refer to the action of the Word in revealing truth? Isn't is the truth that causes the "damage"? That the truth causes us pain doesn't imply that God must have acted in a non-gentle, non-loving manner, does it?

You didn't deal with the points I made, but instead chose to talk about something else. I'm not sure why.

Also you cut off what I wrote at a strange place. When I wrote "I don't see how this makes any sense," I was starting a new paragraph, which explained what I didn't think made sense and why.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116691
07/26/09 05:52 AM
07/26/09 05:52 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
However, that answer cannot explain these:
1) God ordering the stoning of the man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath.
2) God ordering the slaying of the prophets of Baal by Elijah.
3) God ordering the killing of the unrepentant calf worshipers, and blessing the Levites for doing it.
4) God getting upset with Saul for not killing all the Amalekites.

More generally, since God caused the 3.5 year drought of Elijah, it seems unreasonable to say that God never causes pain. Unless it can be shown that the 3.5 year drought was painless for all involved.

I think all of these incidents can be explained by the principles outlined in GC 35 and 36. I won't go into details here. If you wish to discuss these in another topic, we can.

I assume this is the principle you are talking about:
Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. {GC 35.3}

This is in reference to Jerusalem being razed by the Romans. Because of Israel's rejection of God, they were left to experience "Satan's vindictive power."

You are applying this principle to the examples I mentioned. Let's go into more detail. Let's look at the ones involving Moses, and see if Satan caused these deaths.

a) God ordering the stoning of the man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath.
b) God ordering the killing of the unrepentant calf worshipers, and blessing the Levites for doing it.

Let's start with the man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath. Here's inspired commentary on that:
Quote:
The case was brought by Moses before the Lord, and the direction was given, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp." Numbers 15:35. The sins of blasphemy and willful Sabbathbreaking received the same punishment, being equally an expression of contempt for the authority of God. {PP 409.1}

First, note that the stoning was "punishment" for showing "contempt for the authority of God."

Who commanded the congregation to "stone him with stones"? The Bible and SOP say that God said it through Moses. So, one option is that God commanded them to stone the guy.

Another option is that this is one of those cases where God is credited for doing something that He allowed Satan to do. If so, then it was Satan who said, "All the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp." That would mean that Moses could not tell between Satan's voice and God's - Satan gave the command, but Moses thought it was God. Plus, Satan would be showing to the people that showing contempt for God's authority led to undesirable consequences.

Another option is that Moses wanted to kill this guy, and just told everybody that God told him to do it. That puts Moses in a rather bad light.

Another option is that God just "let nature take its course" and the stoning just happened by natural causes. But that seems strange, as the people actually took the guy outside the camp, picked up stones, and threw them at him. This was not some fortuitous lightning strike that just so happened to be there at the right place at the right time. This was the congregation acting in concert.

So here are the options I could think of:
1) God commanded it.
2) Satan commanded it.
3) Moses commanded it.
4) It just happened.

GC 35-36 notwithstanding, I find option #2 unbelievable. That would mean that Moses, the one who talked to God face-to-face, couldn't tell His voice from the voice of His archenemy. Plus it has Satan defending God's authority - not likely.

#3 makes Moses a bloodthirsty liar.

#4 is too off-the-wall to even consider as a real possibility.

#1 is what I'm going with. Both the Bible and SOP plainly say that God gave the command. And it was done to uphold God's authority. And we avoid having to throw out the first 5 books of the Bible.

Now let's turn our attention to the calf-worshipers:
Quote:
Though God had granted the prayer of Moses in sparing Israel from destruction, their apostasy was to be signally punished. The lawlessness and insubordination into which Aaron had permitted them to fall, if not speedily crushed, would run riot in wickedness, and would involve the nation in irretrievable ruin. By terrible severity the evil must be put away. ... In the name of "the Lord God of Israel," Moses now commanded those upon his right hand, who had kept themselves clear of idolatry, to gird on their swords and slay all who persisted in rebellion. {PP 324.1}

Those who performed this terrible work of judgment were acting by divine authority, executing the sentence of the King of heaven. ... Those who performed this painful act, thus manifested their abhorrence of rebellion and idolatry, and consecrated themselves more fully to the service of the true God. The Lord honored their faithfulness by bestowing special distinction upon the tribe of Levi. {PP 324.2}

We have the same basic options:
1) God commanded it.
2) Satan commanded it.
3) Moses commanded it.
4) It just happened.

Again, I'll go with #1. The Levites, who killed the unrepentant, "were acting by divine authority." That's God. They were "executing the sentence of the King of heaven." Again, that's God. "King of heaven" and "divine authority" cannot be attributed to anyone else but God.

What about #2, if indeed GC 35-36 applies here. This lawlessness, "if not speedily crushed, would run riot in wickedness, and would involve the nation in irretrievable ruin." If #2 is correct, then it is Satan who gets credit for ending the apostasy, and saving the nation from irretrievable ruin. Satan would be their deliverer. That just doesn't match Satan's character or his goals.

#3 is a possibility, since Moses was pretty upset with the whole thing. However, inspiration tells us this was the sentence of the King of heaven. That's not Moses.

#4 is off-the-wall again, as this required the participation of a large group of people. It didn't just happen accidentally.

Here's another aspect that points in favor of #1: "The Lord honored their faithfulness by bestowing special distinction upon the tribe of Levi." The Levites were blessed for doing this. Certainly, God would not bless them for doing Satan's will, or for being Satan instruments. In short, the Levites were faithful to God, not to Satan.

Here's the GC quote again:
Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. {GC 35.3}

I don't see how it applies to these two examples. Rather than Satan, I see God as being responsible for these.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116692
07/26/09 05:57 AM
07/26/09 05:57 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I just made a post to address GC 35.

It's not that God just decides He's going to punish, and so He decides to withdraw His protection, but *they* caused His protection to be withdrawn.

It's not universally applicable, as my post indicates.

And I don't think we have the power to force God to do something against His will. He is still sovereign.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116693
07/26/09 06:00 AM
07/26/09 06:00 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:Teresa is claiming that "Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such." It appears that Arnold is challenging this assertion by pointing out the Word of God is likened to a sword, as opposed to a feather, meaning that God's actions cannot always be seen as gentle and loving.

a:Dear sir, I wish to take this opportunity, if it is pleasing in your sight, to lay before you the fact that you are of your father the Devil. And if you don't mind, please get behind me, Satan, for you are not mindful of the things of God.

Is that gentle?

You're not addressing the issue I raised, but talking about something else.

"God's actions cannot always be seen as gentle and loving." I pointed out that it is always loving, but not always gentle.

You hypocrite.

Gentle? No. Loving? Yes.

Don't you agree, you son of the Devil? wink

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116694
07/26/09 06:05 AM
07/26/09 06:05 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
I don't see how this makes any sense. Doesn't the "sword of the Spirit" refer to the action of the Word in revealing truth? Isn't is the truth that causes the "damage"? That the truth causes us pain doesn't imply that God must have acted in a non-gentle, non-loving manner, does it?

You didn't deal with the points I made, but instead chose to talk about something else. I'm not sure why.

Jesus is the truth. Yes, the truth causes pain when it must cut away error. Hence, my affirmation that God sometimes causes pain.

I don't know why you accuse me of teaching that God is non-loving at any time. You really thought I said God was not loving? Please, no straw men. If you want me to break it down like we do in logic class, I'll do that, but I think you are capable of doing that yourself.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!