HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 43 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 42 43
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: kland] #155076
08/15/13 03:38 AM
08/15/13 03:38 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

They had Bibles that came from uncorrupted manuscripts. The Bible you might prefer comes from corrupted manuscripts. This is not an English issue. It's a Hebrew/Greek issue, mostly Greek. You know this, I think.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether the Vaudois had their Bibles in German, Bohemian, French or Latin--we are told they held uncorrupted truth. I believe it, do you? The King James Version comes from the same manuscripts as did their Bibles, and it was translated in opposition to the Catholic church--i.e. the Catholics had no power to influence it. The Catholic wish was to prevent the translation of the King James' Version entirely. They had tried to conquer England and restore Catholic rule there, but God had overruled.

The same purity of translation environment cannot be claimed for any of the modern Bibles. For example, the Thailand Bible Society boasts a 90% Catholic board membership. Would you like to know how many Catholics are on the American Bible Society or other Bible Societies around the world? Perhaps you could research it and find out for us. How many Catholics were involved in translating the NIV, the NASB, or the RV?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155077
08/15/13 04:36 AM
08/15/13 04:36 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
IT DOESN'T MATTER

"It's not important," I hear them say,
If the Bible reads another way,
"It's not important," they like to think,
If the Word is pure, or has some stink,
"It's not important," some folk declare,
If some of the Bible's words aren't there,
"It's not important," they even claim,
If words get added in Jesus' name!
"It doesn't matter," they might protest,
"No translation could be all the best.
"It doesn't matter, whether God's law,
"Is changed a bit, or held in such awe--
"It's not important!"

"It's not important," they say anew,
When the modern Bibles line every pew,
"It doesn't matter," their message goes,
"If God's law's abolished by our foes."
They do not see how "small things" matter,
Not discerning how such can shatter
The grandest truths of Sacred Scripture--
It only takes a little mixture.
Satan loves to blend in his errors
With noble truths to hide their terrors.
Yet many people, unprotestant,
Repeat again "it's not important--
"IT DOESN'T MATTER."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: kland] #155080
08/15/13 10:44 AM
08/15/13 10:44 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Often a corrupted mind needs to find corruption elsewhere to divert the attention in a different direction.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155081
08/15/13 10:56 AM
08/15/13 10:56 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
While you are at it, try also to find out how many Seventh-day Adventist have had some influence on Bible translations.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155082
08/15/13 11:50 AM
08/15/13 11:50 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The Vaudois didn't have Westcott and Hort. They didn't have the Douay-Rheims. They had the "uncorrupted" truth. Their Bible was of the same lineage as the manuscripts of the Majority Text.

Mrs. White affirmed the lineage of the Waldensian Bible. We have inspiration to go on, not mere opinion or majority vote.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

What kind of sophistication does it take to distinguish between the disapproval of Ellen G White of Westcott and Hort through the Waldensian and the use of Ellen G White of a Bible where Westcott and Hort were prominent members of the editorial committee?

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155084
08/15/13 12:17 PM
08/15/13 12:17 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
I don't have any problem with who translated the new Bibles. I only ask what have they translated them from?

Harold T.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155086
08/15/13 01:20 PM
08/15/13 01:20 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
kland,

They had Bibles that came from uncorrupted manuscripts. The Bible you might prefer comes from corrupted manuscripts. This is not an English issue. It's a Hebrew/Greek issue, mostly Greek. You know this, I think.
I do. But you speak about the English words, often.

Quote:

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether the Vaudois had their Bibles in German, Bohemian, French or Latin--we are told they held uncorrupted truth. I believe it, do you?
I do. But you seem to mean it to be something totally different than what Ellen White said.

Quote:
The King James Version comes from the same manuscripts as did their Bibles, and it was translated in opposition to the Catholic church--i.e. the Catholics had no power to influence it. The Catholic wish was to prevent the translation of the King James' Version entirely. They had tried to conquer England and restore Catholic rule there, but God had overruled.
Did the Catholics have those manuscripts?

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: kland] #155095
08/15/13 09:53 PM
08/15/13 09:53 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
What some people forget is that the translators of the KJB were under the order of the young king James to make sure their new translation would not be in opposition the the teachings of the Church of England, which was then still rather Catholic.

Does that ensure that the KJV is superior to anything else?

Yes, it was the best Bible available at that time, and it has bee used as a great instrument for the advancement of the kingdom for centuries. But in other parts of the world with different languages, different translation have been used for the same purpose.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Harold Fair] #155148
08/17/13 09:05 PM
08/17/13 09:05 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
I don't have any problem with who translated the new Bibles. I only ask what have they translated them from?

Harold, the "Received Text" was the work of the Catholic Church. Does that guarantee it is "superior"?

Judge for yourself.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155157
08/18/13 04:35 AM
08/18/13 04:35 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
But what part of the "Catholic church" and what era?

The Christian church began as one unit, headquartered in Jerusalem. We just studied in our Sabbath School lesson today, that first "General Conference" of Acts 15 was held in Jerusalem.

Paul wrote: "For you brethren, become followers of the churches of God which in Judea are in Christ Jesus: for you also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews." 1 Thess. 2:14

Churches sprung up in Syria, and Asia Minor as well as Rome. Each had their "bishop". The Roman bishop was no greater than any other bishop.

It is the Jews that preserved the Old Testament, while the eastern churches carefully guarded and hand copied the letters of Paul and the gospels. These were very precious to them.

Gnosticism was a real problem for the church, corrupted manuscripts and pseudo letters and gospels become quite prevalent.

By the time Constantine became Emperor there were already three main versions!

1. There were the manuscripts carefully guarded by the eastern churches who earnestly sought to follow the apostolic faith.

2. There were the Gnostic altered manuscripts intermingling God's truth with Greek philosophy. Masterminded by Origen and edited by Eusebius.

3. There were Egyptian altered manuscripts.

Constantine wanted a "standard" bible. He preferred the edited version (#2 above). Constantine ordered fifty Greek Bibles from Eusebius, Bishop of Caesarea.

The now popular Sinaitic MS was most likely one of these "corrected" manuscripts, as there is a note at the end of Ezra stating: "This Codex was compared with a very ancient exemplar which had been corrected by the hand of the holy martyr Pamphilus which exemplar contained at the end, the subscription in his own hand: 'Taken and corrected according to the Hexapla of Origen."
(Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol, IV, p. 86)

The Vaticanus and Sinaticus Manuscripts are remarkably similar. Both seem to come from Constantine's fifty.

So Constantine gave the Papacy the indorsed Eusebius-Origan Bible. The Roman Catholic Church translated it into Latin (Vulgate) which became the official "KEPT" bible of the Roman Catholic Church.

This Bible was different from the received text.
The received text contain more than 99% of all Greek MSS and 100% of the Hebrew manuscripts.

The Textus Receptus was the Bible of the early eastern churches -- the Syrian churches -- Later it was adopted as the official text of the Greek Catholic Church. It was the bible of the Waldensians. (It was NOT the work of the Roman Catholic Church)

Page 18 of 43 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 42 43

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!