HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Elle] #139907
02/19/12 04:46 PM
02/19/12 04:46 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Hmmm...I'm not sure about the moon thing. Was it full the day of Passover, or the day before? I find different things for this online. I'm really not typically into studying the phases of the moon, and I feel that the Passover date in question may not require it. But if you can help us, Elle, to clear up this point, I would appreciate it.

Still studying...but might need to rest for a bit on this.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139911
02/19/12 05:24 PM
02/19/12 05:24 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The answers I'm coming to are that the Passover was on the day after the full moon.

Tx, for bringing that point. Actually, to my understanding, Nisan 14 fall precisely on the full moon.

That's a way to double check Roy Hoffman's moon sighting probability software which uses several complex data algorythms based on moon curvature, and etc....

Anyway I went and verified my data reproduced using Roy Hoffman's probablility against NASA table of the full moon. All my data is accurate with the exception of my data being one day too early and NADA says full moon is on Monday April 14th 32 AD and Saturday May 2nd 33AD. NASA's data is according to UT wheras Roy Hoffman's data is according to Jerusalem Time. So this could be the reason of that discrepency.

Nevertheless, all other data are accurate, and these two dates are potentially off by only one day which these dates still reflect that they remain not a possible Nisan 14 day falling on a Friday.

With this double verification, April 3rd 33 AD still remain the only possible date where Nisan 14th falls on a Friday.

I'm also finding that Passover may have been on Nisan/Abib 15, not 14. Probably the 14th of Abib/Nisan was the full moon that people often are looking for, but they need to remember that it was the next day that was the Passover.

I agree. The killing of the passover lamb was to be killed on Nisan 14 between the two evenings(noon and sunset); however the actual eating of the passover meal was always after sunset after the killing which would of fell on Nisan 15th.

Therefore, Jesus was dead on Nisan 15th and it was impossible for him to eat the actual passover meal at the apointed feast time according to the law with His disciples. So Jesus and His disciples ate a passover meal(evening of Nisan 14) the day prior but it was not the passover meal that needs to be eaten with the family in their respectful homes according to the Torah. Its the same thing Employers do with their employees. They have a Christmas diner sometime before Christmas. Everyone calls it a Christmas diner, but it wasn't the Christmas diner that is eaten with the family.

Also, according to the law, they were not to leave the house until sunrise. Jesus and the disciples left after their meal during the night to the mount to sing some hyms. They did because they were not observing the actual Passover meal and they did not break any laws neither by doing so. If that meal was the actual passover meal, it would of been unlawful for them to go outside that night.

NASA certainly would have little interest in accurately finding a Passover. They may be able to help us with moon phases, if that will help us. But it is still left with us to interpret what relationship, if any, may have existed between the phase of the moon and the Passover in a given year.
For sure NASA are not reporting this for any religious interest. Their data is totally objective and purely reporting astronomical data. However, these data are very reliable and important for us to know when the moon phases occur during those dates which pinpoints the feasts time.

Blessings
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139915
02/19/12 05:54 PM
02/19/12 05:54 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Hmmm...I'm not sure about the moon thing. Was it full the day of Passover, or the day before? I find different things for this online. I'm really not typically into studying the phases of the moon, and I feel that the Passover date in question may not require it. But if you can help us, Elle, to clear up this point, I would appreciate it.

Looks like while I'm reply to your post, you are replying to my post, making us a post late of each other.

As said in my previous post, that I appreciate your point that Nisan 14 would fall on the full moon which I have checked against NASA's data as they also reports the dates and time of the full moon. My data was still accurate with the exception of two dates however Nisan 14 still didn't fall of a Friday for neither of these dates. So April 3, 33 CE remain the only possible date for Nisan 14 on a Friday.

In my Jesus Potential Crucifixion dates Table for the year between 30-33 CE on page 2, I only provided the conjunction moon date & time as I was using that to figure out Nisan 1st(with Roy Hoffmans software) and then Nisan 14th.

However, here are Nasa's full data of all the moon phases for years 30 to 33. The Full moon data column would reflect Nisan 14th, if Nisan where to start on that moon of that year. Nasa did not provide the day of the week in this table, however they do provided it elsewhere. I have provided them in parenthese for ease of reference and it can be verified easily at this link http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=31&country=34 which is a NASA reference link by which these calendar are generated using NASA's data.

*New Moon ……. First Quarter ……. Full Moon(Nisan 14) ……. Last Quarter
30 CE
Mar 22 17:46 …. Mar 30 22:18 ………. Apr 6 19:42(Thu) ………. Apr 13 11:34
Apr 21 09:36 …. Apr 29 10:40 ………. May 6 03:00n(Sat) ………. May 12 22:26

31 CE
Mar 11 22:19 …. Mar 19 21:41 ………. Mar 27 10:55(Tue) ………. Apr 3 04:30
Apr 10 11:32 …. Apr 18 15:06 ………. Apr 25 19:59p(Wed) ………. May 2 10:42

32 CE
Mar 29 20:00 P…. Apr 6 11:58 ………. Apr 14 09:00t(Sun) ………. Apr 21 06:57
Apr 28 07:00 P…. May 6 05:37………. May 13 19:09(Tue) ………. May 20 11:33

33 CE
Mar 19 10:38 T …. Mar 26 10:33 ………. Apr 3 14:51 p(Fri) ………. Apr 11 03:45
Apr 17 19:09 …..... Apr 25 02:19 ………. May 3 04:54(Sat) ………. May 10 09:20

*NASA New moon here is the conjunction of the moon which is the dark moon(totally disappered) and not the first crescent sighting. The first crescent or sliver sighting is when Israelites reckoned the new month.

Please check for yourself NASA's data : http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/phase/phases0001.html

Blessings
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Elle] #139931
02/20/12 01:30 PM
02/20/12 01:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Daryl and GC, as you can see, according to the astrological data, it was impossible that Jesus died on 31 CE for Nisan 14 fell on a Tuesday March 27th or on Wednesday 25th of April that year.

Nissan 14th only fell on a Friday Apl 3, 33 CE.

Elle, this is not accurate.
Towards the close of the 29th day of a month a watch was kept for the young crescent moon low in the western sky just after sunset. If the crescent was visible, a new month was begun; otherwise an extra day was added to the month. So both days must be considered as a possibility.
Schaefer, in his article “Lunar Visibility and the Crucifixion,” says the following about the visibility of the moon on April 11, A.D. 31:

If R is less than 1, I would characterize the moon as being difficult to spot. … Sunset of April 11, A.D. 31, R = 0.9 (Bradley E. Schaefer, “Lunar Visibility and the Crucifixion,” The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society, no. 31 (1990), pp. 53-67).

So, astronomically speaking, it is perfectly possible for A.D. 31 to be the year for Christ’s death, provided that we consider that Nisan 1st was on April 13 (12/13, sunset to sunset); that, therefore, Nisan 14th fell on Thursday, April 26, (25/26, sunset to sunset); and that Christ died on Friday, April 27, a Nisan 15th.

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Elle] #139933
02/20/12 02:14 PM
02/20/12 02:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Therefore, Jesus was dead on Nisan 15th and it was impossible for him to eat the actual passover meal at the apointed feast time according to the law with His disciples. So Jesus and His disciples ate a passover meal(evening of Nisan 14) the day prior but it was not the passover meal that needs to be eaten with the family in their respectful homes according to the Torah. Its the same thing Employers do with their employees. They have a Christmas diner sometime before Christmas. Everyone calls it a Christmas diner, but it wasn't the Christmas diner that is eaten with the family.

Also, according to the law, they were not to leave the house until sunrise. Jesus and the disciples left after their meal during the night to the mount to sing some hyms. They did because they were not observing the actual Passover meal and they did not break any laws neither by doing so. If that meal was the actual passover meal, it would of been unlawful for them to go outside that night.

So it was against the law to leave the house until sunrise (who said that? not the Bible) but it was not against the law to eat the Passover on the wrong day?
A meal during the unleavened-bread week could be called a Passover meal, but a meal before Passover could never be called a Passover meal.

What does the Bible say?

The three passages in the Synoptics (Matt. 26:17, Mark 14:12 and Luke 22:7) say that the disciples prepared the Passover for Christ on the first day of Unleavened Bread. In Jesus' time, the Jews regarded the fourteenth of Nisan as the first day of Unleavened Bread. Several ancient sources agree that the Jews regarded the fourteenth as the first day of the feast: Josephus in one passage speaks of Passover as a festival lasting eight days (Antiquities 2.15.1), and elsewhere he states explicitly that the festival began on the fourteenth (Wars 5.3.1); The Talmud says that the rabbis considered the fourteenth as the first day of Unleavened Bread (Babylonian Talmud, Peshaim 5a); and the gospel writers remove any possible confusion by saying specifically what they mean: the day could only be Nisan 14, for the expressions they use confirm this.

In Mark 14:12 the writer defines the first day of the feast as the day when the lambs were killed:

And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him, “Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?” … And the disciples set out and went to the city, and found it as he had told them; and they prepared the Passover. And when it was evening he came with the twelve (Mark 14:12-17, RSV).

The Greek expression used is to pascha ethuon. Ethuon is the third person plural imperfect active of thuo, to kill in sacrifice, sacrifice, immolate. So the verb used is in the imperfect. What are the implications of this?
The imperfect indicative represents an action as going on in past time (durative, or linear action in past time),- this action may be simultaneous, prolonged, descriptive, repeated, customary, interrupted, attempted, or begun, according to the context and the meaning of the verb itself. This is how, for instance, the NIV translates the passage:

On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples asked him, “Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?” (NIV).

Thus it can be concluded that the day on which the Passover lamb was being sacrificed by the Jews was Thursday. Therefore, Thursday must necessarily be Nisan 14.
There is another passage that should be considered:

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. (Luke 22:7, RSV).

The emphatic language of Luke 22:7, “had to, must” is translated from the Greek word edei, third person singular, imperfect of deo (dei is an impersonal verb meaning “it is necessary”), which means to bind, that is, to put under obligation, of law, duty, etc.; to bind by a legal or moral tie; to be necessary, proper, inevitable, binding, obligatory, as defined in Greek Lexicons.

Notice that it was the disciples who asked Christ where the Passover should be prepared, which implies they were doing what everybody else was doing. There is nothing in these texts indicating that Jesus observed the Passover on a different occasion from the Jewish people in general.

Had not Christ observed the law in every particular, He could not be our Savior. The Bible says: “It is written, ‘Cursed be every one who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, and do them’” (Gal. 3:10).

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Rosangela] #139934
02/20/12 02:33 PM
02/20/12 02:33 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Thus it can be concluded that the day on which the Passover lamb was being sacrificed by the Jews was Thursday. Therefore, Thursday must necessarily be Nisan 14.

I appreciate your post, Rosangela, however the little part above still leaves questions with me. Would you perhaps be speaking of Thursday night? If so, you are actually meaning "Friday," aren't you? Because after sunset, the next day has begun according to the Bible...none of this "midnight" delimitation of days such as we have now.

Of course, Jesus died on Friday (the preparation day--see Luke 23:54).

Mrs. White also tells us the moon was full that Thursday night (the evening of the preparation day) in Gethsemane.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The Redeemer, in company with his disciples, slowly made his way to the garden of Gethsemane. The passover moon, broad and full, shone from a cloudless sky. The city of pilgrims' tents was hushed into silence. {5Red 14.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139936
02/20/12 02:53 PM
02/20/12 02:53 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Elle, you said,

Quote:
As regards the day, I am convinced that Jesus was crucified on the very day of Passover.

Then you said,

Quote:
Mrs. White also confirms this, if the Bible were not already sufficient.

...He Himself was the true paschal lamb, and on the day the Passover was eaten He was to be sacrificed. {DA 642.1}

On which day was the Passover eaten?

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139939
02/20/12 03:07 PM
02/20/12 03:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate your post, Rosangela, however the little part above still leaves questions with me. Would you perhaps be speaking of Thursday night? If so, you are actually meaning "Friday," aren't you? Because after sunset, the next day has begun according to the Bible...none of this "midnight" delimitation of days such as we have now.

Of course, Jesus died on Friday (the preparation day--see Luke 23:54).

Mrs. White also tells us the moon was full that Thursday night (the evening of the preparation day) in Gethsemane.

GC, I'm not sure I understood your question. The paschal lamb was sacrificed after 12 p.m. on Nisan 14 and eaten after sunset, that is, on Nisan 15. So Jesus would have eaten the Passover on Thursday after sunset, was arrested around midnight and died on Friday (Nisan 15).

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Rosangela] #139941
02/20/12 03:17 PM
02/20/12 03:17 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Elle, you said,

Quote:
As regards the day, I am convinced that Jesus was crucified on the very day of Passover.

Then you said,

Quote:
Mrs. White also confirms this, if the Bible were not already sufficient.

...He Himself was the true paschal lamb, and on the day the Passover was eaten He was to be sacrificed. {DA 642.1}

On which day was the Passover eaten?
I think those were my quotes, Rosangela.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139944
02/20/12 04:03 PM
02/20/12 04:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Sorry, GC and Elle, for the confusion. GC, it seems you said in one of your posts that you no longer believe Christ died on a Nisan 14?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!