HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Was Jesus stoned? #15552
08/27/05 09:01 PM
08/27/05 09:01 PM
T
TX CC  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
Texas
At Sabbath School today, someone said Jesus was stoned, while carrying the cross on the road to Calvary. Has anyone heard of this?

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15553
08/28/05 01:25 AM
08/28/05 01:25 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
TX CC this is a falsehood. There are alot of falsehoods said about Jesus. We can test them all by the Bible.

TX CC did you know that this area is for testing and learning how to use the forum? Would you lke me to move this to an area where others can study with you about this?

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15554
08/28/05 03:16 AM
08/28/05 03:16 AM
T
TX CC  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
Texas
Thanks, I would appreciate that. I never found anything about the stoning of Jesus, on the web, or closeby. I do know it isn't in the Bible. Thank again.

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15555
08/28/05 04:57 PM
08/28/05 04:57 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I believe the Bible shows an instance or two where they unsuccessfully tried to either stone Jesus, or throw Him off a cliff.

I will let Avalee move this topic. [Big Grin]

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15556
08/28/05 11:36 PM
08/28/05 11:36 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
TX CC I have moved this to the Bible Study area.

I too have not found anything in the Bible about Jesus being stoned on the way to the cross.

Maybe someone else has read it somewhere.

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15557
09/14/05 05:16 AM
09/14/05 05:16 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
While I do not know the context, I don't know what's going on, but I have speculation that there is probably one of two things behind this comment:

The first is that they may have imagined people throwing stones as well as insults on people being crucified, thinking that although not mentioned in the Bible, that it being a natural part of hanging there being revialed.

The other possibility is that they were half asleep in a Bible class that they were required to take but not interested in and caught part of what was said and not the rest of the message.
May I refer you to sources such as J. Dukahn's "Drinking at the Sources" and Jim Fleming "The Death of Jesus and the Jews." among others.

The Sanhedren, or as they were called in Hebrew "Elders" consisted of three subgroups of 23, consisting of Pharisees and Saducees, then with the High Priest made 70 elders. To make decisions you needed at least one group of 23 meeting.

Twenty three Saducees, often with the high priest as the 24th Saducee would meet as 24 Elders, with no Pharisees allowed, to try to deal with would be Messiahs, or other religious leaders who they felt would rock the boat. These Elders were allowed to stone people to death for religious reasons. However the Saducees learned NOT to involve Pharisees due to the fact that the Pharisees tended to want a somewhat fair trial but would often dissagree with what was wrong and right. These 24 Saducees did not have these scruples. They knew that their power, authority and wealth came from keeping the peace. They did not even try to make a trial sound fair, as they would have witnesses who's testomony would dissagree with each other, and then they would pronunce the would be Messiah (or other religious figure) guilty. The European Jewish communities, through history, has had a phrase "Saduceen Court" which meant the same as what we mean when we use the phrase "Kangroo Court."

Caiphas and Pilate worked together. The 24 Saduceen Elders could ONLY put people to death for religious reasons, not political, and Pilate's juristictions was in political. Pilate would refer people who could be stoned to death for religious reasons to Ciaphas, and Ciaphas would refer people who could be put to death by crucifiction for political reasons to Pilate. Just as the Saducees would play with their victim by having witnesses who contridicted each other, so Pilate loved to play wishy washy as if he could not make up his mind, giving the victim hope until he would let them take the person out for crucifiction.

Now, sometimes if a religious leader was very popular with the people, instead of charging them with religious accusations, the Saducees would turn the person over to Pilate for crucifiction. There is the text that anyone who dies on a tree is cursed of God. This was a way to distroy the followers of the religious leader. This text was used to ruin someone's reputation as we today use evidence of sexual imorality to ruin someone's reputation. Pilate having this person crucified on a tree caused the followers to say "This person must not have been sent from God." That is why it was so shocking for the followers of Jesus to say that the true Messiah was crucified on a cross.

As to the Pharicees, they ran the whole range from those who had a relationship with God, to those who were hipocrits and all ranges in between. Jesus had friends, enemies and those trying to make up their minds among the Pharicees. When Herrod wanted to arrest Jesus, some of Jesus' friends who were Pharicees risked their lives to warn him so that he could escape.

Although Jesus did indeed have enemies among the Pharicees, we have only record of one Pharicee that was so full of hate that he would cooperate with the 24 Saducees in their underhanded trials, and that was a rich young ruller named Saul.

The only Pharisee's we see actually involved with the death of Jesus was Joseph and Nichodemus. We also find that for 14 years the followers of Jesus were under the protection of Rabbi Gamiel. The event with Saul and Stephen was Saul saying that Gamiel's protection was only for good Judian-Galliean Hebrew Speaking Jews, and not for Hellinistic Greek Speaking Jews. For about 14 years the Church leaders were free and able to lay the foundation of the church under a Pharisee's protection. It was not until he became too old to have power that the persecution spread to the Hebrew Speaking Christians.

In the late first century, long after the fall of Jerusalem, the book of John would not give much differentiation between the different Jewish sects and would often lump them together under the terms "Jews" for and "Pharicees" for any and every subgroup of Jews, because these other subgroups no longer existed when John wrote so only the other terms would make a little sence to his audience unless they were aged. In AD 135, the Church and Synogogue split into two sepperate religions, and Christians started to develope the tradition of the Pharisees being involved with the death of Jesus, Pilate being a nice guy and forced by the Jews to crucify Jesus because they could not put anyone to death.

The person may have heard a college professor point out these facts, only hear about how the Sanhedren could stone people to death and get it out of the context and thus make the statement.

Moveing off this topic and on to an interesting note: If it is the same John who wrote Revelation, as who was the Disciple that Jesus Loved, then this disciple saw Jesus stand before the 24 Saduceen elders giving a false testomony about Jesus, and later their heavenly counter part, the 24 Elders, who's message the earthly group were suposed to reflect, but who gave the true testomony of Jesus.

I hope this helps.

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15558
09/14/05 05:23 AM
09/14/05 05:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I just read this somewhere else recently. Deja vu. (Except this is real)

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15559
09/14/05 07:53 PM
09/14/05 07:53 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The person may have once read the following text and couldn't quite remember how it read:

quote:

John 8:59 MKJV Then they took up stones to throw at Him. But Jesus hid Himself and went forth out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and passed on by.

This was also the one I was thinking about in my earlier post.

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15560
09/14/05 07:58 PM
09/14/05 07:58 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I also came across this one:

quote:

John 10:31 MKJV Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him.
32 Jesus answered them, I have shown you many good works from My Father; for which of these do you stone Me?
33 The Jews answered Him, saying, We do not stone you for a good work, but for blasphemy, and because you, being a man, make yourself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your Law, "I said, You are gods?"
35 If He called those gods with whom the Word of God was, and the Scripture cannot be broken,
36 do you say of Him whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world, You blaspheme, because I said, I am the Son of God?
37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me.
38 But if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works so that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.
39 Then they again sought to seize Him, but He went forth out of their hand.

This was another example of an unsuccessful attempt to stone Him.

Re: Was Jesus stoned? #15561
09/15/05 04:46 AM
09/15/05 04:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The title of this topic makes me do a double-take every time I read it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!