HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15919
09/23/05 03:54 AM
09/23/05 03:54 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, you didn't comment on the AH quote posted above. Sister White says our sinful flesh can tempt but that it cannot sin. In light of our discussion on the contextual differences between the words "nature" (inherited traits) and "character" (cultivated traits) what do you make of the insight in the AH quote?

As I see it, sinful flesh nature is what we inherit at birth and is replaced with a sinless one when Jesus returns. Character, on the other hand, is the byproduct, as it were, of sinful flesh nature. Sinful character is sinful flesh "manifested". (Gal 5:19) It is what we ourselves cultivate before we are born again and, if we disconnect from Jesus, what we cultivate while disconnected from Jesus.

Since character is the only thing we take with us to heaven then it stands to reason that our sinful flesh nature will be replaced when Jesus returns. Here are some quotes that imply this insight:

1 Corinthians
15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
15:51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.
15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

AA 560, 561
Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. It is not gained by a happy flight of feeling, but is the result of constantly dying to sin, and constantly living for Christ. Wrongs cannot be righted nor reformations wrought in the character by feeble, intermittent efforts. It is only by long, persevering effort, sore discipline, and stern conflict, that we shall overcome. We know not one day how strong will be our conflict the next. So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome; so long as life shall last, there will be no stopping place, no point which we can reach and say, I have fully attained. Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience. {AA 560.3}

The idea that it takes a lifetime to cease sinning, or to swap sinful traits of character for righteous ones, assumes God cannot, or chooses not to, set us free now. But the fact is we are set free the moment we are born again. It does not take a lifetime of sinning less and less to be free from sinning. We do not gradually overcome sinning by sinning less and less often.

Instead, the thing that takes a lifetime is to mature in the rightetous character traits God implanted in us the moment we were born again. In fact, not even eternal life is long enough to become as mature as Jesus is. Growth in grace and character development is a lifelong process whereby we imitate the example of Jesus by becoming more and more mature in the fruits of the Spirit - not less and less sinful like Satan.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15920
09/22/05 05:46 PM
09/22/05 05:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike, I agree with much of what you say, but you don't comment on unconscious sins/sins of ignorance. Before Christ come can, these sins must be revealed and overcome.

Our biggest sins are ones caused by misunderstanding God's character. The final message to be given to the world will be one of God's true character.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15921
09/23/05 02:46 PM
09/23/05 02:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, it appears, based on other threads, that we do not see eye to eye on what constitutes a sin of ignorance. I believe it is only intellectual things like the sabbath, dress and diet reform, and biblical doctrines like the state of the dead and the 2300 day prophecy.

In other words, sins of ignorance involve matters of the mind, things that require book learning, as opposed to things we know naturally from birth, moral matters of the soul like lying, cheating, stealing, murder, etc. I see a huge distinction between mental and moral issues, especially as it relates to salvation.

But here we're discussing what happens to our sinful flesh nature after we're born again. On this point it would appear that we are in agreement. Rosangela, on the other hand, isn't. She seems convinced (though I'm not certain of what she is saying) that our sinful flesh nature is gradually converted in this lifetime, that it is transformed into a sinless nature, that it won't be replaced when Jesus returns. Or, did I get it wrong? What does she believe?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15922
09/23/05 04:35 PM
09/23/05 04:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm hesitant to speak for Rosangela, so I'll let her respond for herself.

I agree with your assessment that you and I appear to be in agreement regarding the sinful nature being our flesh, and that Christ took that nature, and overcame in spite of having taken it, demonstrating that complete victory is possible for us.

We appear to be in some disagreement as to the extent of Christ's temptations, based on another thread. I believe Christ was tempted in all points as we are, because not only did take our sinful nature, but He also took our sin. It is that combination which allowed Him, I believe, to be tempted not only as one who is born again, but also as one who is not.

Regarding things we know by birth, what makes you think we know things like lying etc. by birth? We are taught these things and learn them the same way we learn what you call the book learning things. There's no difference. When we learn about the Sabbath, it becomes a moral issue, passing from being a sin of ignorance. Similarly one may learn that living with someone is not the same thing as being married, and what was a sin of ignorance becomes a moral issue. Similarly for lying, idols, or any other sin.

So it appears to me you are making an artificial distinction where none exists.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15923
09/24/05 02:33 AM
09/24/05 02:33 AM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Will this help any?

S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 6---- Ephesians-----PG- 1118
(John 14:15). Reaching the Condition of Sinlessness. –Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901).

Manuscript Releases Volume Eight--- The Law------PG- 99
Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts, including the one relating to the observance of the Sabbath, the seventh day of the week, the day that He blessed and sanctified, "because that in it He had rested from all His work" (Gen. 2:3).

The diference between Jesus and us is....We were both born with inherited tendencies to evil and chose to cultivate these tendencies.....
with complete dependance on His Father, Jesus did not. He chose not to sin.

With complete dependance/strength on Our Heavenly Father, we need not sin either.

All sin comes in three catagories:

1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The "tempted in all points" means the above, and covers all bases for me, you and Jesus. He could not be our Saviour unless He experienced every temptation we have and gained the victory.

Conversion happens in the mind ---

Phi 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Jesus overcame in sinful flesh [chose not to sin]to show us we may also overcome [choose not to sin] in our sinful flesh.

My 2 cents
God Bless

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15924
09/24/05 02:36 AM
09/24/05 02:36 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,
I’m still studying this subject and haven’t yet arrived at any conclusion, so I’m just saying what seems to make more sense.

The text you quoted points out that 1) it is not the body that sins (how could it?), but the mind. So, 2) the words “flesh” and “fleshly lusts”, in the context Peter and Paul use them, do not mean the body itself but the lower nature (the bodily propensities and passions which lead to errors in thought and action when injuriously gratified).

"Abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul," is the language of the apostle Peter. Many regard this text as a warning against licentiousness only; but it has a broader meaning. It forbids every injurious gratification of appetite or passion. ... Wrong habits of eating and drinking lead to errors in thought and action. Indulgence of appetite strengthens the animal propensities, giving them the ascendency over the mental and spiritual powers.” {HR, November 1, 1882 par. 1}

When any lust takes possession of the mind in any way or to any degree, and there is a yielding to fleshly desires, we lose the image of Christ in spirit and character. {RH, January 21, 1890 par. 5}

Men's natural appetites have been perverted by indulgence. Through unholy gratification they have become "fleshly lusts, which war against the soul." Unless the Christian watches unto prayer, ... his inclinations, abused and misguided, will be the means of his backsliding from God.--Manuscript 47, 1896. {Te 19.1}

All habits of indulgence that weaken the physical powers, that becloud the mind, or that benumb the spiritual perceptions, are "fleshly lusts, which war against the soul." 1 Peter 2:11. {COL 53.1}

It seems to me that the word “flesh” comprises just the bodily appetites and passions, therefore it seems not to include all kinds of sins. What do you and Tom think about this? The body will be changed at Christ’s coming, but will this in any way affect the process of sinning? If all sins were in some way related to the body, how is it that angels sinned?

As to our nature being renewed or transformed in this life, it’s not I who say this, but Ellen White (some quotes provided in my last post before this one). What do you think she means by that?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15925
09/24/05 04:55 AM
09/24/05 04:55 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's what I think:

Our nature being transformed refers to our minds. I don't see any difference between her saying our natures our transformed and Scripture saying our minds are renewed.

Sin resides in the mind. The mind governs the will. The flesh is a means by which one can be tempted. It also contains genetic predispositions to sin.

Christ took our flesh, so had the same genetic predispositions to sin that we have. He was also tempted in the same means by which we are tempted. However, Christ never yielded to temptation.

Our characters are not changed at Christ's coming, but our flesh is. If humanity can perfectly obey God with fallen flesh, it can certainly do so in sinless flesh, so the question of our safeness to saved is answered.

Since "nature" can mean either character or flesh, depending on the context, one could say that at Christ's coming our character is not changed, but our sinful nature is. Or one could say, our nature (i.e. character) is not changed, but our flesh is. Or, to be really confusing, one could say our nature is not changed, but our nature is. Yikes! What a mess.

This is why when one considers the word "nature" one must be very careful to ascertain the context. Does it mean flesh, or character? I don't think this is a difficult question inconsidering Ellen White's writings; she's usually very clear as to her meaning. Also her views, and her verbage, weren't any different than her contemporaries. This wasn't a controversial point within Seventh-day Adventism during her lifetime.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15926
09/24/05 02:58 PM
09/24/05 02:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
It seems to me that the word “flesh” comprises just the bodily appetites and passions, therefore it seems not to include all kinds of sins. What do you and Tom think about this?
I believe all sins are related to either appetite (bodily needs) or passions (emotional needs).

quote:
The body will be changed at Christ’s coming, but will this in any way affect the process of sinning?
No. It was possible for Adam and Eve to sin. What will change is how we are tempted to sin. Our flesh will no longer tempt us to meet our innocent and legitimate needs in a sinful way.

quote:
If all sins were in some way related to the body, how is it that angels sinned?
Angels are flesh and blood, too. Sin is related to the mind and the body.

quote:
As to our nature being renewed or transformed in this life, it’s not I who say this, but Ellen White (some quotes provided in my last post before this one). What do you think she means by that?
I agree with Tom. Sister White used the word "nature" in different ways. The context determines the meaning.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15927
09/25/05 03:16 AM
09/25/05 03:16 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
What happens to the sinful nature when we are born again is basically what happens to the Alocholic when they attend AA, or the smoker who is giving up smoking.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15928
09/24/05 07:30 PM
09/24/05 07:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Amen. Still tempted, but victorious (so long as they follow the right steps).

Page 3 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!